Nations League 24/25 | September Internationals (Matchday 1-2)

Mainoo is a lot more physically gifted than Gomes, but technically and tactically, Gomes is likely ahead. Genuinely was one of the best players in our academy since 2010. Greenwood levels.

Gomes is 24, shockingly, so he should be at the stage where he is fully comfortable in his game, but his size is always going to be an issue, just trying to imagine him playing deep midfield in a Ten Hag set up trying to deal with a billion runners in huge spaces, would get murdered.

Last time Tah was bullied like this was against West Ham by Antonio

Two fantastic saves first by ter Stegen and then also by the dutch keeper, but he was powerless against that hammer from Undav

Mainoo is a lot more physically gifted than Gomes, but technically and tactically, Gomes is likely ahead. Genuinely was one of the best players in our academy since 2010. Greenwood levels.
Gomes is five (5) years older than Mainoo, what are you expecting?

Gomes is 24, shockingly, so he should be at the stage where he is fully comfortable in his game, but his size is always going to be an issue, just trying to imagine him playing deep midfield in a Ten Hag set up trying to deal with a billion runners in huge spaces, would get murdered.
Gomes in the Casemiro lone general role would be box office

That save from Verbruggen before the goal looked so odd.

Not really a fan of Grealish in the 10, I'd prefer Eze and dare I say it Gibbs-White in that role.

True, he would never work in our current setup. Mainoo, Gomes, Casemiro/Ugarte might work.

Maybe we were right to sell him? But on the other hand, we still have Upa and Kim...

Gomes is five (5) years older than Mainoo, what are you expecting?
Don't think it affects his technique much, tactically sure. Gomes has had more time to find his game.

He struggled to impact the game as a 10 when he initally moved away, ever since he's been moved back, he's been gold.

San Marino lost to Moldova. Thankfully it's just a friendly and San Marino can still qualify out of their group

True, he would never work in our current setup. Mainoo, Gomes, Casemiro/Ugarte might work.

You need running power in midfield for the PL, Gomes as lovely a ball player as he is doesn't have that. Mainoo struggles with it and is more physically gifted than Gomes.

I think so too, though I'm ignoring Casemiro from that trio. I think it could get overrun with Casemiro in there instead of Ugarte.

With Van de Ven, De Vrij, Van Hecke, Timber and Ake I hope this is the last time we ever see De Ligt again.

Plucky Holland held on for as long as they could, but this was always inevitable, wasn't it?

Well that went to shit quickly.

De Ligt might just be our worst national team player ever at this point.

Missed the first 15 mins, since then Germany deserve the lead have to say. Dutch seemed way to deep the whole half, sometimes with 11 men behind the ball. Undav didn't seem on the same wavelength with the rest of the attackers in the first half but got a goal and assist in the end.

Tah and Schlotterbeck still look really weak in defense, can't trust them to keep a cleansheet in most matches.

I wonder the tactical idea behind leaving Kimmich totally unmarked is. Nobody even near him

I suppose no one expected him to be there given he's playing RB. He has a habit of those late runs in the box from that position though.

van Dijk sleeping, completely his zone to defend, anyone? Fine de ligt it is, boooo de ligt.

Not really playing as a 10. It's more of a 433, with Rice on the right and Grealish on the left.
That is true, I put the game mid half so didn't know the exact set up. Not a fan of him centrally in general, was more my point.