Nasri To City - Done Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsène on Aug 9th: "Imagine the worst situation, we lose Cesc and Nasri, you can't convince people that you are ambitious after that."

oh dear :lol:

The sensible thing would have been to either extend his contract last summer or sell him early this summer, the way we did with Ronaldo. They barely have time to purchase replacements for Fabregas and Nasri, though lack of money cannot be an excuse this time.

Agree with this. This saga lasted way too long and Arsenal have to now act quickly to find replacements.

Which top player would seriously want to play for Arsenal after they've just sold Fabregas, Eboue and Nasri.

Big match against Udinese. Win or bust.

Arsène on Aug 9th: "Imagine the worst situation, we lose Cesc and Nasri, you can't convince people that you are ambitious after that."

:lol:

The new thread title is a bit misleading, he hasn't actually signed for City yet.

Shame for Arsenal, great news for city. I would have liked for us to sign him but it's not the end of the world we never got him.

I don't think the Arsenal fans should be too gutted, they've got some good money they can spend on players. If the rumours are true of them going after Hazard and M'Vila who I haven't really watched myself but seem to be very highly rated, plus an experienced centre back then this could be a good thing for them.

Of course if they don't spend the money wisely then they will be lucky to finish in the top 4.

Rumours yesterday that Hazard would pull the plug on any Arsenal move if they couldn't offer CL football. Travelling to Italy without Nasri makes this a whole lot more likely.

Skysports
have confirmed terms have been agreed for France international midfielder Samir Nasri to move to Manchester City.

Nasri has been chased by City in recent weeks and Roberto Mancini had been anxious to finalise a deal for the former Marseille youngster, who was in the final season of his contract at Emirates Stadium.

Manchester United reportedly had a bid rejected earlier in the summer, but Nasri is now on his way to the Etihad Stadium.

Reports over the weekend had suggested the deal had fallen through and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger subsequently claimed Nasri was happy in North London.

He had featured in Arsenal's 2-0 defeat by Liverpool on Saturday and trained with the squad on Tuesday ahead of the UEFA Champions League qualifier with Udinese.

However, with the Gunners due to fly out to Italy on Tuesday afternoon, the club have now confirmed that Nasri is on the verge of signing for City.

A club statement read: "Arsenal can confirm that they have agreed terms for Samir Nasri to move to Manchester City."

The 24-year-old midfielder, who has spent three years with the Gunners, has been omitted from Arsenal's squad which flies to Udinese this afternoon and instead will travel north for a medical.

"The move will be subject to Nasri passing a medical and formal registration processes."

Had Nasri travelled with Arsenal and featured against Udinese, it would have rendered him ineligible to play for City in the group phase of the Champions League.

Speaking after Sunday's 3-2 win at Bolton, Mancini suggested that such a scenario could have led to City ending their interest in the player.

"For 40 days I've hoped in two days, three days (it would be done), I don't know why we haven't closed it," said the City boss.

"It's a big problem (if he plays for Arsenal against Udinese) but I'm sure we can close in 24 hours, maybe 48. For Nasri it will be important he can play in all the Champions League matches."

City have reportedly agreed to pay in the region of £24million for Nasri, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has refused to sign a new deal.

That has ultimately forced the hand of Wenger, who insisted earlier this summer the midfielder would not be sold and must now weigh up bringing in reinforcements after also losing former captain chief Pizza chucker Cesc Fabregas to boyhood club Barcelona.

Done deal unless he fails his medical or turns down their monetary terms

Now that Nasri's move to City is about to be finalised, we just need to wait for the inevitable ramblings of Harry Redknapp to confess him and Levy were " in for Nasri from the start, but it wasn't meant to be "

The thing Wenger is this is shocking management from him this summer. He knew for over a year that Cesc wanted to go and therefore should have prepared. He knew Nasri's contract was running out in 2012 and therefore should have offered him a new one last season early on when Nasri was on top form. The moment Nasri started talking about moving away he should have had a back up in mind.

ZHaVx.jpg

22 million for a player they could have had for free a year later.

Is this the most ever paid for a player in his last year of contract?

I read somewhere that AW's statement might not have been so ill-advised as it appears. Instead, it may have been a kind of warning shot to Arsenal's board. It's hard to imagine Wenger being so idiotic as to comment like that when he knew he'd be losing both players soon.

I read somewhere that AW's statement might not have been so ill-advised as it appears. Instead, it may have been a kind of warning shot to Arsenal's board. It's hard to imagine Wenger being so idiotic as to comment like that when he knew he'd be losing both players soon.

I don't know, I still think it's quite ill-advised. If that was the case, he should have just made the comment internally.

I don't know, I still think it's quite ill-advised. If that was the case, he should have just made the comment internally.

Yep. You're surely right, chief.

Probably, although Bayern Munich paid a similar amount for Manuel Neuer.

Yep. You're surely right, chief.

I didn't consider the possibility you highlighted though which certainly makes more sense, if the idea is to send a message to the board, while making your feelings on the transfers clear, but it sends a confusing message to the fans, and is more than enough for the media to distort and run with, no matter what his intentions were.

Good signing. But to be frank my main interest in this signing is that it means Arsenal come to Old Trafford on Sunday with Song and Frimpong suspended, Wilshere out injured and both Cesc and Nasri having left. Yes... :D

I dunno, mate, I just had that supposed 'insider info' from Arsenal Times in mind:

Arsenal Times - Wenger and the Board at Loggerheads Exclusive

No idea if it's genuine info or nonsense; legit or a shady attempt to get fans onside with AW.

It would make more sense, or it would imply Wenger was extremely short-sighted, or just misinformed. Maybe a lot had changed between the time he made that comment, and now, perhaps he was given assurances that both would stay for another season, although it didn't look likely at the time. Either way, with the chances surely being at least being a possibility they would both leave, he should never have come out with the comment. Intentions aside, it's a comment that would always bring the brunt of the reaction onto him.

It would make more sense, or it would imply Wenger was extremely short-sighted, or just misinformed. Maybe a lot had changed between the time he made that comment, and now, perhaps he was given assurances that both would stay for another season, although it didn't look likely at the time. Either way, with the chances surely being at least being a possibility they would both leave, he should never have come out with the comment. Intentions aside, it's a comment that would always bring the brunt of the reaction onto him.

Yeah, that's true. Plus, it's generally a losing game when a manager publicly criticises his employers.

Yeah, that's true. Plus, it's generally a losing game when a manager publicly criticises his employers.

Yep, I'm not sure that angle would really work for him. Dangerous times for Arsenal though.

What about the following scenario?

- Ever since the new stadium, Wenger had to operate within certain financial restrictions and limitations.
- He always went along with the company line on that, stating they have the money but also have a plan - thus ensuring he'd be the fall guy if things went pear-shaped
- Now after years of stagnating he's frustrated and he's also unhappy about having to bear the brunt of the criticism from all parts
- His attempts to appeal to the board privately fell on deaf ears thus he opted to go public, hoping to put some pressure on them

It might not be the best move but it would be understandable. Why he spent all that money on Oxlade-Chamberlain still a mystery to me though.

He's exactly what City were missing in my opinion: a good player who can play wide and tuck inside. He's a lot better than Johnson or Milner.

What about the following scenario?

- Ever since the new stadium, Wenger had to operate within certain financial restrictions and limitations.
- He always went along with the company line on that, stating they have the money but also have a plan - thus ensuring he'd be the fall guy if things went pear-shaped
- Now after years of stagnating he's frustrated and he's also unhappy about having to bear the brunt of the criticism from all parts
- His attempts to appeal to the board privately fell on deaf ears thus he opted to go public, hoping to put some pressure on them

It might not be the best move but it would be understandable. Why he spent all that money on Oxlade-Chamberlain still a mystery to me though.

Completely forgot about Ox! It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure I see the point as surely Wenger would know that the way the comment has been said, fans and media wouldn't automatically assume it's a coded message for the board, but an naive and idiotic message from Wenger.

Wenger: "Yes we have lost great players, but we have brought great players in."

"No, tomorrow's game is not critical."

Blimey...

He's exactly what City were missing in my opinion: a good player who can play wide and tuck inside. He's a lot better than Johnson or Milner.
He is better option that the two but how will they line up?

Does Mancini has the balls to play Nasri as one of midfield three?

All three of Silva, Nasri and Ageuro would want to be automatic starters. I am not sure starting them as a forward trio would be the best option. Ideally you would want Tevez or Dzenko leading the line with them behind it.

Ideally they should play this:

Dzenko/Tevez

Nasri-Aguero-Silva

Toure- Dong

But I do not think they will...

Neuer cost €24m apparently and City themselves paid £18m for De Jong when he had just six months left if I remember correctly.

From someone who's acknowledged as a genuine Arsenal ITK:

The Board win over Nasri. Called rank on Wenger and told him he had to sell.

Wenger: "Yes we have lost great players, but we have brought great players in."

"No, tomorrow's game is not critical."

Blimey...

Did he REALLY say that? It's all well and good trying to take the pressure off of your players but that's just... wow.

This means that in a few months' time he's gone from "there's no shame in being second in the Premier League" to "qualifying for the Champions League isn't critical".

Next year: "staying up isn't crucial, there's no shame in being among the best 44 teams in England".

Status
Not open for further replies.