Naby Keita

He's done absolutely nothing of note let's be honest. Both were signed at the same time, Keita for more money, and their stats are basically identical.

Fred is currently in the first team though and being used whilst Keita is an expensive bench warmer.
Fred at least looks like he's improving. The last 3 games, he's looked fitter and sharper

His problem is he can’t keep himself fit, you can see the talent in glimpses and when he did manage to put games together he looked to be going from strength to strength. However none of that matters if we’re never able to field him or always waiting for him to shake off the rust before he gets injured again.

At what point is Kaita considered a belov average signing for Liverpool? He was certainly bought to be one of "those guys" that makes the big differences. Not seeing a lot of that so far. Injury prone or not. I'm sure Liverpool didn't buy the player so they could pay his wages while out injured.

Forgetting injuries, if Klopp changes back to his old self then Keita will probably become useful again, as will Shaqiri. Doubt it will happen though, as he finally won his CL playing more conservatively.

Last edited:
Naby Keita has been very expensive replacement for Daniel Sturridge but i can say for sure he did well in keeping Melwood medical staff busy in absence of high profile injuries to rest of the squad.

Dropped again?

Oh, dear...
He’s been injured more often than he’s been dropped, but I thought he was poor on Monday. Chamberlain came on and was much better.

Keita still struggles with speaking English apparently so he’s clearly not settled as well.

Remember when he was supposed to be absolutely world class? Better than Pogba? Best mid in the league? Hilarious.

He was great for Leipzig to be fair. Looked like a world class talent in those days. I guess he still has it but struggles to bring it to the pitch.

He’s been injured more often than he’s been dropped, but I thought he was poor on Monday. Chamberlain came on and was much better.

Keita still struggles with speaking English apparently so he’s clearly not settled as well.

He’s a funny one. Watching the game, you'd hardly notice him but then you’d read the post-game statistics (key passes, recoveries etc.) and it would read as though he’s had an amazing game.

Is he an example of the foolhardy activity of placing every emphasis on statistics when judging a player? Or will he justify the huge fee in time?

No wonder when Scouse is the reference point to learn from.

Reading that Liverpool propaganda piece in the New York Times a few months ago (detailing their scouting structure and how they rely very heavily on statistics to select potential signings), it was very clear that their head analyst Ian Graham is very fond of Keita, repeatedly gushed over him and his ‘numbers’ and was desperate for him to succeed at Anfield.

Keita is, for now, a clear example of how ‘numbers’ can flatter you and paint a false picture of how good a footballer you actually are. It’s early days, of course, but this may also apply to Minamino in time.

Remember when he was supposed to be absolutely world class? Better than Pogba? Best mid in the league? Hilarious.

Meant to be better than Pogba at first, that didn't turn out well, then meant to have been a much better buy than Fred, even thats now seeming a bit silly as well

Meant to be better than Pogba at first, that didn't turn out well, then meant to have been a much better buy than Fred, even thats now seeming a bit silly as well

Was he compared to Pogba? The Fred comparisons were done because of the fee style and the same time frame. Fred needed quite a bit of games and time until he settled and improved, something Keita wont get, unless injuries

Was he compared to Pogba? The Fred comparisons were done because of the fee style and the same time frame. Fred needed quite a bit of games and time until he settled and improved, something Keita wont get, unless injuries
There were numerous claims that he was what Pogba was supposed to be.

There were numerous claims that he was what Pogba was supposed to be.

Yes I recall these comments too. The hype was unreal and yet no one even mentions him or criticises Liverpool the way we surely would be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-Keita-confirmed-one-nine-dead-bus-crash.html

Cousin of Liverpool star Naby Keita survives horror coach crash on way to a match in Guinea... despite their FA announcing he was one of nine dead
  • Naby Keita's cousin has survived a horrific bus crash in Guinea on Thursday
  • But the Professional Football League of Guinea claimed Almamy Keita had died
  • Keita was part of the Etoile de Guinee team travelling to play a match in Kankan
  • Naby Keita posted a tribute online, saying he was 'shocked and heartbroken'
By MAX WINTERS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 13:35, 6 March 2020 | UPDATED: 17:26, 6 March 2020

Horrible stuff I hope the stories are straightened out and his cousin survives with minimal injuries. Hopefully him being alive reduces the number of casualties and it’s not just a different life lost.

He has been a colossal flop but the media won't mention that because dippers and Klopp can do no wrong.

He has been a colossal flop but the media won't mention that because dippers and Klopp can do no wrong.

Not a slight on you @Samid, but I find it remarkable that journalists and newspapers are continuing transfer gossip during this time. The resume of football itself is far from certain, let alone the movement of players. I also suspect the general public will be non-too-pleased about clubs squandering tens of millions on players when half the population are struggling for basic needs due to the high unemployment rates we’re unfortunately going to endure.

Anyway, I digress: Keita is woeful and amongst the biggest flops to ever play in England. A stats-loving virgin’s wet dream of a footballer if there ever was one.

Not a slight on you @Samid, but I find it remarkable that journalists and newspapers are continuing transfer gossip during this time. The resume of football itself is far from certain, let alone the movement of players. I also suspect the general public will be non-too-pleased about clubs squandering tens of millions on players when half the population are struggling for basic needs due to the high unemployment rates we’re unfortunately going to endure.

Anyway, I digress: Keita is woeful and amongst the biggest flops to ever play in England. A stats-loving virgin’s wet dream of a footballer if there ever was one.

when there is no sport, there will always be speculation as there’s nothing else to report on. I think your reading far too much into this.

I get that point of view but at the same time there are crises and more important things in life even when the western world isn't at a standstill. The money in football can end poverty etc.

Good one

I’d be a bit gutted if he did leave. His fitness has been an issue for a while though. We still need a more creative spark in midfield as well.

I’d be a bit gutted if he did leave. His fitness has been an issue for a while though. We still need a more creative spark in midfield as well.
Why? He's been wank.