Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

I never said ox is better than pogba. But we could have signed him and he would have offered a lot to us. He can play almost anywhere including CM that we need with only pog and magic as real options.

Now Liverpool have signed virgin van dijk for £75m. Could we not have signed him?

Looking at the Liverpool transfers of recent years when they were pretty poor in the past as signing players makes you question the board and manager.

Mane £35m
Salah £36m
Ox £35m
Matip free
Robertson £9m
Keita £55m
Vvd £75m

Obviously the last two are yet to join but that's some serious amount of players they have got very right indeed under klopp.

Also that klavan guy seems pretty decent for the £3m or whatever he was bought for.

They are picking and choosing their players and adding real quality step by step.

Let's not go overboard. I count 2 players in that list that they have got very right indeed. And one of those players was much better last season than this. Matip, Robertson, Ox? Decent squad players but proved little more than that so far.

People like Wenger were constantly lambasted for going on about money, with Jose being the biggest spender at Chelsea in 2005. He started all this lets-spend-billionaire $$$$$$$ in England.

Even now, you guys are ahead of a terrible team like ours by only five points. Jose deserves stick just for that. :lol:

Instead we take a chance on Lindelof at 30 or so mil, and right now, that signing is looking all ifs and buts

Jones- injury prone; 23 game missed last year and 33 games missed in 15/16,
Smalling- 21 games missed last year due to injury and is now injured once again
Rojo- was coming back from a major knee injury

You can question who that money went for but there is a reason another CB was bought.

Perisic would not have made us as good MCFC. However, he would've provided us with quality crosses for Lukaku to head balls into the net. I think we'd win against LCFC and Burnley, with Perisic in our team. He is a hardworking winger, which we are crying out for.
MCFC, with their record breaking run, are an outlier and we can't realistically expect our team to compete with. Next season MCFC won't be as strong and we have to be ready to capitalise.
What we can't afford to do, is allow ourselves to get left behind in the transfer market.
I agree, Perisic would have given us that little bit extra in terms of productivity which we really lack on the right side especially. Make us as good as City, no, but would be a good start and like you have said, we would have beat the teams like Burnley.

Poor signings have burdened us under Mourinho to be honest. Don’t get me wrong we have made some fantastic ones aswell, but the like of Mkhitaryan and Lindelof have cost us a lot of points between them. I can understand Lindelof adjusting and covering for injury but we really need to sign players now that are going to make immediate impact rather than future stars. If we don’t do this, to quote you “we will be left behind”.

People like Wenger were constantly lambasted for going on about money, with Jose being the biggest spender at Chelsea in 2005. He started all this lets-spend-billionaire $$$$$$$ in England.

Even now, you guys are ahead of a terrible team like ours by only five points. Jose deserves stick just for that. :lol:
It does help being in complete control of a team for 20+ years and having the same players all together for the best part of 5 years

Even now, you guys are ahead of a terrible team like ours by only five points. Jose deserves stick just for that

Confident you'll pick up all 3 points against a side that beat you 3-0 in the same fixture last season? Although until you guys do, we are technically 9 points ahead of you..

It does help being in complete control of a team for 20+ years and having the same players all together for the best part of 5 years

Yet spending a fraction of Jose's money. I mean that is what he's saying isn't it, that the more you spend the bigger the gap is.

If United finish anywhere near our trash team Jose deserves a sack just for that.

Confident you'll pick up all 3 points against a side that beat you 3-0 in the same fixture last season, huh? But until you guys do we are technically 9 points ahead of you..

I am not even confident of finishing 6th, never mind the next game :lol:

My point was after all the spending, and after Jose saying that the gap gets bigger after $$$ being spent; there is no way United should be anywhere near us considering how much you have spent compared to us.

As I said, if United finish anywhere near us he deserves criticism just for that. We are utter cack, with a garbage manager and a trash team. It shouldn't be that hard to finish 20 points ahead of us.

Pep inherited a far better team than Mourinho did.

The job is so much easier if you players like KDB to build your team upon.

The unfortunate thing is that it really is not easy to find those type of players. Mourinho managed to bring Pogba and Paul has improved us alot compaired to where we were under LVG but we simply need more. Pep's team last year it also didn't work without the good fullbacks, we are still counting on Valencia and Young but we really need to invest in better and new and it has been long overdue.
We do need to invest heavily on quality full backs but there really aren’t many options available, possibly Sandro but that is a massive ask.

We have bought in Pogba yes, then we bought in Matic which released Pogba a bit more so he could show his true quality. The problem we have now is somebody that Pogba can play alongside who is to create the chances and not just make poor decisions, lose the ball and be generally shit I.e. Mkhitaryan and in my opinion Herrera who is massively overrated.

We are not making the most of the quality we have upfront in Rashford, Martial and Lukaku because the midfield just doesn’t work together well, the full backs are decent but not amazing, to much inconsistent starts with them aswell, but some of this is due to injuries granted.

Ideally we still need a quality left back, right back, central midfielder and right winger to make us favourites again.

Although after saying all of that, Pogba, Fellaini and Matic okay superbly together but we cannot rely on just 3 players with completely average backup options.

I agree, Perisic would have given us that little bit extra in terms of productivity which we really lack on the right side especially. Make us as good as City, no, but would be a good start and like you have said, we would have beat the teams like Burnley.

Poor signings have burdened us under Mourinho to be honest. Don’t get me wrong we have made some fantastic ones aswell, but the like of Mkhitaryan and Lindelof have cost us a lot of points between them. I can understand Lindelof adjusting and covering for injury but we really need to sign players now that are going to make immediate impact rather than future stars. If we don’t do this, to quote you “we will be left behind”.

Mikhi is a terrible flop, but I can't fault our scouting network much for his signing as he was on the top of assists table in Bundesliga when we got him so by all means should have been a good signing. It just didn't work out here and it happens anyway. Wasn't the first one and won't be the last.

Lindelof was needed because of our injury crisis in CB position. We're already passing through a one now. We're only down to 2 defenders coming the next game.

The problem isn't in these 2 in general. It's just that we signed too few players in both summers so they're both under fire to perform or we're back to what we were before getting them. Hopefully we didn't repeat the same mistake coming next summer.

Mikhi is a terrible flop, but I can't fault our scouting network much for his signing as he was on the top of assists table in Bundesliga when we got him so by all means should have been a good signing. It just didn't work out here and it happens anyway. Wasn't the first one and won't be the last.

Lindelof was needed because of our injury crisis in CB position. We're already passing through a one now. We're only down to 2 defenders coming the next game.

The problem isn't in these 2 in general. It's just that we signed too few players in both summers so they're both under fire to perform or we're back to what we were before getting them. Hopefully we didn't repeat the same mistake coming next summer.
Yeah I suppose Mkhitaryan would have looked like a no brainer signing. Wasn’t played for ages in the first season though because Mourinho didn’t think he was good enough and needed to adapt but I think now he knows he won’t adapt and in my opinion is going to be sold. Two seasons is long enough to get some consistancy out of him. We can’t keep carrying these types of players if we want to stay in the chase, but in the first place of signing someone it will always need a bit of luck and hope they can adjust.

Look, the simple reality is that Guardiola inherited...

Aguero
de Bruyne
Sterling
D. Silva
Fernandinho

That is an incredible bunch of talent to take over, a veritable bounty of skillful and important players.

Mourinho inherited...

Rooney
Mata
Rashford/Martial
Fellaini
Herrera

There are some good players there, but the difference to what Guardiola inherited is huge.

Added to that City have spent 75m more than United in that time, and it's insane to not understand what Mourinho is saying.

He's come, he's won trophies, got us back in the CL, got us top of our CL group, 2nd in the PL with a point score that would usually see a team top of the PL!

If you wanna see him take on this City side then the board have got to back him because the guy has delivered!

Sacking Mourinho is not the answer - backing Mourinho is the answer.

I totally agree with Mourinho and he´s just telling things like they are:
I went back to the 2009 season and picked out those I think are good enough to be Man Utd players and have been successful buy´s. Of course this is just my opinion but here are the players:
Valencia 17 million - 2009 - Solid and has given everything
Smalling 7 million - 2010 - Often criticised but continues to be picked by every manager and did not cost a fortune
Jones 17 million - 2011 - I like this guy as a defender but he barely warrants being here because of his injury problems but he give´s everything he´s got in each game
Chicharito 6,75 million - 2010 - Selling this guy was a massive blunder and he was a joy to watch and with this natural ability to be in the right place at the right time
De Gea 22,5 million - 2011 - He´s just the best buy we have made in a long time since perhaps Cantona and Keane.
Van Persie 27,6 million - 2012 - He´s here even though he did not stay long but he won us a PL title
Martial 54 million - 2015 - For me this guy has the world at his feet and should start every game for us. He´s a striker not a winger and should be played as one.
Romero Free transfer - 2015 - Solid keeper on a free
Pogba 94 million - 2016 - I´ve been a fan of his since he was in the youth team and for me he just needs better players around him to allow him to express himself, he´s not a DM.
Bailly 34 million - 2016 - Out of the blue buy but the best central defender we have
Zlatan Free transfer - 2016 - A legend, shame about the injury but him arriving showed everyone we are getting back even though he will not be a part of this much longer
Lukaku 76 million - 2017 - Started well and I hope his recent spell is due to lack of service
Matic 40 million - 2017 - Very solid, proven and a prescence in midfield

For me players like Mata,Herrera,Lindelof(is improving),Mkhitaryan,Darmian,Schneiderlin(sold),Depay(sold),Schweinsteiger(sold),Di Maria(sold),Shaw,Blind,Falaco(let go),Rojo,Fellaini,Kagawa(sold),Zaha(sold),Powell(sold),Buttner(sold),Angelo Henriques(sold),Young,BEBE(who can forget that clusterfeck deal),Diouf(Sold),Obertan(sold) either have not shown enough to be a player for United or are/were never good enough.

That is around 400 million pounds spent on players since 2009 that I would find difficult to claim were worthy buy´s. Compare how Bayern, Dortmund, Real, PSG and others have gone about their signings and I think it´s clear for all to see that up until Mourinho arrived we have spent a lot on substandard players. Of Mourinho buys only Miki has not worked out. Having spent on upgrading the scouting network Mourinho has to be backed up by the board because we are just lacking in quality and only money on the right signings plus young players brought through like Gomes,Tuanzebe and so on will get us through. We must do better in scouting and let Mourinho do it his way.

What are you talking about man?
Mendy and Walker were 50 million or more buys. Danilo was bought for around 30 million.
On top of that, Mendy only played 4 games and Danilo is acting as a squad player.
So essentially, only walker was used in this season out of the 3 full backs we bought.
So 87 million worth of talent is not getting used in form of Mendy and Danilo.

Other than Ederson and Walker, its the same Manchester City team as last year, But we still have burned the roof down ;)
If you analyze, its PEP who has drastically improved all the players. Its quite visible in the results that we have achieved.

Pep has added 17 players since his arrival. Those 17 players have cost him £403m altogether. He inherited some top quality players from Pellegrini, even the much derided Moyes would finish top 4 with the kind of players Pep has at his disposal.

Mourinho has only added 7 players to the majority of dross he inherited from Van Gaal. Jose has spent around £286m altogether. Of course, Pep’s team should play better than Jose’s. If you add the variable of players that have missed big games due to long term injuries, I think Jose is where he’s supposed to be.

If you swap both managers, it’s the City team that will still be on top.

I agree and you could go even further....

The problem is there are fans on here who have been saying this for years. Years ago, around the time we sold Ronaldo, I used to phone my Dad on the way home from games (MCR back to Hull at the time) and we both used to say despite us being in the middle of one of our best periods in the clubs history that the writing was on the wall and the rot had set in.

Now, when you point to this period, people try and tell you it’s not relevant - well of course it is! City have had a plan for 10yrs whilst we have penny pinched and made poor decisions

I totally agree. We have been run more tightly as a business. If the board is content with how we have been performing, then we are meeting their expectations. The board obviously have not been happy with Moyes' and LVG's results, hence their sacking. So, that brings us to our current day situation...

I honestly think the club has been caught off-guard by how much city have spent recently and continuing to spend. Also probably biggest surprise to them is how quickly City has progressed this season. By reading some of the things said by Zlatan and Jose last year, I believe the board has hired Jose in for a rebuilding project over a several year period. It has now become a fire drill with City having the kind of season they're having and the pressure the club and Jose are getting from the fanbase when compared relatively to City. Even if the board is content with second place, Jose wouldn't be happy in this situation. He doesn't like losing and to Pep is making it worse.

If the board is content with where we are, then they're happy, fans upset, Jose potentially leaving. If the board is not content, they need to spend to strengthen the team.

Pep has added 17 players since his arrival. Those 17 players have cost him £403m altogether. He inherited some top quality players from Pellegrini, even the much derided Moyes would finish top 4 with the kind of players Pep has at his disposal.

Mourinho has only added 7 players to the majority of dross he inherited from Van Gaal. Jose has spent around £286m altogether. Of course, Pep’s team should play better than Jose’s. If you add the variable of players that have missed big games due to long term injuries, I think Jose is where he’s supposed to be.

Pep and City were meh last season. Only Walker came into his first eleven(cuz he sometimes plays Delph as LB) this season and now they look awesome. That's the weird thing.

Maybe. But not by 15 points. And we would not be playing drab hoofball football.

Aguero
de Bruyne
Sterling
D. Silva
Fernandinho

That is an incredible bunch of talent to take over, a veritable bounty of skillful and important players.

Mourinho inherited...

Rooney
Mata
Rashford/Martial
Fellaini
Herrera

There are some good players there, but the difference to what Guardiola inherited is huge.

Added to that City have spent 75m more than United in that time, and it's insane to not understand what Mourinho is saying.

He's come, he's won trophies, got us back in the CL, got us top of our CL group, 2nd in the PL with a point score that would usually see a team top of the PL!

If you wanna see him take on this City side then the board have got to back him because the guy has delivered!

Agree with this. If Jose goes, who is there to replace him? more importantly, do we have the structure in place to accommodate a potentially more inexperienced manager? We have all seen that car crash in Moyes. A player valued at £40m bracket two years ago goes for £75m in the January transfer window. The reason why we need to spend big now or become another also-ran like Arsenal is that of years of neglect. If Liverpool spend £75m on VVD, what will City spend to replace Kompany and or Otamendi, £100m, £150m a pop?

Fundamentally this team can get by with not replacing Shaw or Valencia in the short term. Where they cannot afford to get it wrong is in the next addition to midfield. Win the ball back under pressure, fast counter-attack and Rom is scoring for fun like Aug, Sept. At the moment, the midfield just isn't working. That's where this league is won and lost. Fix one position with a world-class addition be at a number 10 or a RW and the knock-on effect will help balance the team out.

Well, this is funny. Small club Liverpool just bought a defender (mediocre in my opinion) for £75m and people are questioning what Jose said about £300m not being enough.

This makes Pogba buy a bargain, so thank you Jose. Also, Lukaku, a steal, thank you Jose. Lets not talk about Bailly, who is probably worth now close to £150m, when comparing quality.

Well, this is funny. Small club Liverpool just bought a defender (mediocre in my opinion) for £75m and people are questioning what Jose said about £300m not being enough.

This makes Pogba buy a bargain, so thank you Jose. Also, Lukaku, a steal, thank you Jose. Lets not talk about Bailly, who is probably worth now close to £150m, when comparing quality.

Now do the same thing but swap Van Dijk for Salah.

Lukaku twice as much? Pogba three times as much? Lindelof more expensive than Salah? Yeah great thanks Jose.

Do you see the fault now in using one transfer fee by another club to judge your own transfer policy?

Aguero
de Bruyne
Sterling
D. Silva
Fernandinho

Mourinho inherited...

Rooney
Mata
Rashford/Martial
Fellaini
Herrera

Backing him is indeed the answer. That being said, one can't help but feel that Mourinho is getting his excuses in, something that doesn't really come as a surprise given his past behaviour. Hopefully, this is a ploy to get backing in the January transfer market.

Aguero
de Bruyne
Sterling
D. Silva
Fernandinho

Mourinho inherited...

Rooney
Mata
Rashford/Martial
Fellaini
Herrera

Why have you only used a handful of players to do the comparison? I mean I agree Pep did inherit a better team but why just five and why their best five?

Walker van dijk and Stones cost a combined 180m and mourinho is getting criticised for not having rebuilt us for 280m.

It's not enough money to have. End of discussion

When do we get a poll? I think there's loads on the Caf that are trashing Mourinho. Would be interested to know how many of us actually back him and think he's called a spade a spade...

Why have you only used a handful of players to do the comparison? I mean I agree Pep did inherit a better team but why just five and why their best five?

Surely he's making the point that the core and arguably the best and most important of guardiolas team was already at the club?

I don't really care much about what Mourinho says, but this is a lot of nonsense.

As much as I disliked SAF, he was not the only one with money. He was there for 10 years after Chelsea got rich. He was there for 5 years after City got rich. He still competed with both. He won titles with both. It was the main difference between him and Wenger. When two to three competitors came up for the title, instead of just the one, SAF was the one who got on with it. He also had to face money bags in Blackburn before as well.

United did not spend much at all in comparison to City and Chelsea in his later years. He still won titles. He won the CL multiple times despite United not having a transfer budget anywhere near the continental giants.

Would SAF be winning the title right now? Maybe not, but he wouldn't be 15 points behind. He'd have Walker, not City, because players would have chosen United for his name, instead of City and Chelsea and other clubs for the money. This would have weakened City. Mourinho does not have the pulling power that SAF did, and this is coming from an Arsenal fan who doesn't like SAF that much. But SAF was great, do not compare him to Mourinho. Had he not retired, United would probably have won 2 of the last 4 titles, beaten City in the derby (City were shiite in that game, you guys just did not attack at all) with a last minute goal in Fergie time, and been at most 5-6 points behind City and still in the title race. That was SAF. Whatever else your opinion on Jose (Shit or great), he is nothing compared to the giant that was Ferguson.

Maybe some of you have forgotten but we could be leading by a goal, and still think that we'd lose to you guys in stoppage time. And it was the same for every team in the league. That was the fear factor he had. That was his work. He was not just lucky to have local talent, he knew how to nurture it and make it grow. Anyone but SAF, at most Wenger, and the class of 92 would never have happened.

Oh that is rich, now we are getting pointers from Arsenal fans. SAF is not around anymore and times have changed. I would probably be worried more about your beloved club than Man Utd. Your two star players will be gone on a free and its been something like 20 years since you won anything decent, and you were top 10 richest clubs in the world for years and years. What does that tell you?

I respect the nonsense of your opinion, but I would advise you to look at the mirror when you are making a statement for a club or a manager who trashed you 3-1 at Emirates just a few weeks ago. Jose record against your genius of a manager is ridiculous, and take that to the bank.

Because those players are a big part of their success. They are also a lot better than what Jose inherited.

Walker van dijk and Stones cost a combined 180m and mourinho is getting criticised for not having rebuilt us for 280m.

It's not enough money to have. End of discussion

This is a thing now isn't it? Yourself and others are going to cherry pick one or two massively overpriced transfers to try and cast our own expenditure as relatively modest.

This will go on for the rest of the season.

Liverpool have now spent 212 million in 2017 alone. I think that puts in perspective the level of ambition required by the board to win things. Mourinho in private and maybe in public even will make this point. He is right we need to spend more, if clubs like liverpool who have been conservative spenders, spend money like this, then surely united not doing it is a big let down from "The Biggest club in the world" tagline that we associate with ourselves. If we are the biggest, then we better show it too.

And this also shows £300m in today's time only will get 5 or 6 quality players.

Now do the same thing but swap Van Dijk for Salah.

Lukaku twice as much? Pogba three times as much? Lindelof more expensive than Salah? Yeah great thanks Jose.

Do you see the fault now in using one transfer fee by another club to judge your own transfer policy?

No I dont, I think I am spot on.

Surely he's making the point that the core and arguably the best and most important of guardiolas team was already at the club?

Yes but he's comparing two teams and leaving out the weakest half of theirs and the strongest part of ours.

I actually agree Pep inherited better but that's a blatantly biased way of framing it.

Mou has had a complete meltdown and paid for it at Chelsea. Left them in shambles. He left Real due to exact same reason, falling out with their board and players. He spent tons and still is cant get Pogba and Matic replicate their form toat their previous clubs. He can't get the team to play in a way that would not be heavy reliant on one single player, being DDG mainly. His signing of 7 players and spending 300 mln quid on them having enherited Rashers, Martial, Ander (poty last year by the way), DDG and all defense resulted in us throwing a towel to the league in November. This is a fact. Another fact is that we have no settled system and have not got the best out of Pogba, Matic, Ibra, Bailly, Lindelof, and even Lukaku who is costing us goals in our own box. Pep is doing fantastically well, just like SAF improving what he has and buying exactly what he needs which has an immediate effect on the team. Their fecking goalie looks more relaxed than DDG ever was, not because he is a better player, but because his manager is managing his team better.
And this also shows £300m in today's time only will get 5 or 6 quality players.
You are being generous,at most three...I agree with mourinho,its either we stand still or keep improving and realize we are in an ever changing transfer market..so either the board back him or sack him..

Yes but he's comparing two teams and leaving out the weakest half of theirs and the strongest part of ours.

I actually agree Pep inherited better but that's a blatantly biased way of framing it.

I think he has forgotten De Gea. Unless you are also talking about the defenders? Jones, Smalling, Valencia? He didn't mention Otamendi/Kompany either. It looks like he is doing a comparison by position maybe. Even so, the gap is clear.