Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Why do so many of you insist that you absolutely had to buy Lukaku for 75m and Pogba for 90m? I’m not a scout, but surely other decent players could’ve been found at a lower cost. Just look at Salah for instance, who we bought for around 38m.

Besides, you’re not as bad as some of you make it sound. You’re second to one of the best teams of the PL era.

This might cheer you up.:p

11:36
Real Madrid 'ready to sell Bale'
Real Madrid are reportedly ready to sell Gareth Bale in January.

United have a long-standing interest in Bale, and remain interested in signing him.

And Spanish outlet Diario Gol reports that Real Madrid are now willing to sell the Welshman as early as January.

GettyImages-897538594.jpg

he's obviously giving the thumbs up to Woodward who's in the crowd holding his 'I heart Bale' banner above his head, all giddy and flushed like a 15 year old One Direction fan.

You wonder what frame of mind he would be in as well. Anyone who may come in, not sure there will be anyone by the way. He wants to stay at Real, they want him gone. We need people who will give us something a bit extra, not someone feeling sorry for themselves.

Yeah away from injures, Bale had refused us multiple times before so I can see Di Maria situation getting repeated again if we get him.

Why do so many of you insist that you absolutely had to buy Lukaku for 75m and Pogba for 90m? I’m not a scout, but surely other decent players could’ve been found at a lower cost. Just look at Salah for instance, who we bought for around 38m.

Besides, you’re not as bad as some of you make it sound. You’re second to one of the best teams of the PL era.
I mentioned this earlier and agree with you fully. It is lazy scouting and letting yourself be manipulated by an agent. I also agree that progress has been made, but it is how some of our fans take finishing top four but no trophies.

Transfer spend aside, he needs to invest more himself. Invest more time in instilling some belief in the players instead of throwing them under the bus he parks so unnecessarily often.
He needs to invest more time shaking off his depressing attitude that the world is against him, its filtering down to the players. Lukaku has gone from a goal scorer to a clumsy oaf this season. Rashford has gone from a smiling superstar to a petulant brat.
He needs to invest more time in sticking to one system for more than one game - my head spins trying to work out the ever-changing formations which is fair enough, but it looks like the players haven’t a clue what formation we’re playing at any one time or how they’re meant to execute it.
He needs to invest some time in building a relationship with the fans instead of bemoaning OT crowds.
He needs to invest in the club, find out what it’s about, get his head out of his own ass and realise that no player is bigger than the club and more importantly, no manager is bigger than the club. He makes it all about him and crying about other teams spending is small time. He needs to man up, shoulder some blame, protect his players and build some team spirit instead of being a grey cloud.

Not really sure why this is a big story, or why people have a problem with it.

Outside of minor miracles and fluke's, you just don't win the League or Champions league without spending big. Teams might show a great year based on form and confidence like Leicester and Spurs, but ultimately it all imploded at Leicester and Spurs have settled more this season.

Spurs are often lauded for their for their play, and they have the best striker in world football at the moment, yet they sit 5th and 18 points behind city. And in the summer barring a massive run of blistering form at towards the back-end of this season, i can see a few of their players being taken from them.

Money spent brings titles and consistent winning. Mou's points are valid, whether people like the amounts being talked about or not.

City had a much better teams when Pep and Mou took over, and Pep has spent not far off 100million more since. WHY did anybody realistically think United would be pushing past them this season.

And i dont understand why the amounts are still a "thing". People need to stop comparing football to the price of a pint of milk. Neymar cost 2/3 Mou's whole spend. PSG spent what? 150% of Mou's whole spend on two players? Barca paid huge for Dembele, and look like maybe spending similar for Coutinho.

Frankly if i was Mou id be saying similar. If u want the league, and you want to challenge for the champions league, and u want it to last more than a flash in the pan season, then spending more is necessary.

Go give Spurs 150 mill+ for harry kane, its better spent there than sitting with the glazers

I mentioned this earlier and agree with you fully. It is lazy scouting and letting yourself be manipulated by an agent. I also agree that progress has been made, but it is how some of our fans take finishing top four but no trophies.

This is in jeopardy now unless we see a serious upturn in form, and that has to come from José getting his house in order, not worrying about City’s finances.

Not undoubtedly, but we look jaded, with alot of players out of of form just now, it won't take long for the other two to capitalise if it continues.
Agree on that. Whole team needs a big slap to wake them up. That goes for Jose as well. Although I wouldn't regard this as excuses. But when he gets more money he should use it wisely.

So we are second in the league and life is all rosy? We are only behind City because we have spent less money than them? I think its your logic that is nonsensical. If you don't think those teams play better attacking football than us then you are delusional. We are better defensively however our park the bus approach is holding our attacking play back.
Who said life was all rosy? What can be plainly seen is the improvement we have made since Jose's arrival. Yes we have some things to work on but it's ridiculous to expect all the creases to be ironed out in a season and a half.

I'm not the one using our expenditure as a tool to beat us with. You need to make up your mind. It's either relevant to both the teams below us and City, or it relevant to neither.

So you don't actually want to tackle the very obvious point that we had outscored those aforementioned teams, and yet some how we can't attack as well as they can? You want to model us on the attacking teams below us in the table who have scored less goals than we have? Makes absolute sense!!

I realize that I went on a tangent and didn't really address the subject of the thread.

Mourinho is right about the need to build a team and he is right about the fact that United's ambitions should mirror the status of the team more than the status of the club. Now, where I disagree is when people put the blame on everything but Mourinho, as he said the first goal is to build a team and in my opinion you start with a first eleven.
When Mourinho joined United we had 1 young striker with 17 goals and an other young striker with potentially a dozen of them, we had a world class goalkeeper and a serviceable back four. What we didn't had was a good midfield and good attacking midfielders, that's where he should have focused the spendings. If you want to follow a process start with the weakest points not average or promising ones, 18 months later, he undeniably improved the CM position with Pogba and Matic but he spent badly the rest of the budget not because he bought bad players but because he bought players we could have done without and who weren't going to fix our initial first XI problems.

What I'm saying here isn't a way to ask for his sacking or to not support him until at least the end of his contract, I'm just pointing out that his decisions put the club in a slightly lengthier rebuilding process.

You are very much correct. Mourinho, in hindsight, has bought some questionable players.

Mkhitaryan being the first - many will point to the fact that he started poorly at Dortmund, but he also left them as the Bundesliga player of the year, so which is it, is he shit or is he good?
Bailly seems to be a crock which is fitting as he's as reliable as every other center back we've had since 2009. Lukaku - this is a hard one, seemed like our options were Morata or Lukaku, and to be fair to the big man, he's scored 15 in 29 which isn't terrible. However, he's cost us points at the other end of the pitch which has pissed off a lot people. I don't think he's a bad signing and think he'll come good.
Ibra - got him on a free, will do more good than harm.

I think Hindsight is amazing. I can only think of Lindelof as the one signing that I legitimately thought "how will he improve us?". Okay, my opinion doesn't extend to general population but how many thought that Mkhi would be a complete flop? And that Bailly would be constantly injured? Matic, Pogba, Ibra were all very good signings. Bailly, Lukaku and Lindelof are not bad signings. Mkhi is the only flop. I trust Mourinho far more than I did van Gaal and Moyes. I think he put a lot of trust in the players we had prior to him joining but the better, more talented players and still quite young and inconsistent - Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Jones and Lingard are all good players with obvious flaws that Mourinho should be responsible for ironing out.

Transfer spend aside, he needs to invest more himself. Invest more time in instilling some belief in the players instead of throwing them under the bus he parks so unnecessarily often.
He needs to invest more time shaking off his depressing attitude that the world is against him, its filtering down to the players. Lukaku has gone from a goal scorer to a clumsy oaf this season. Rashford has gone from a smiling superstar to a petulant brat.
He needs to invest more time in sticking to one system for more than one game - my head spins trying to work out the ever-changing formations which is fair enough, but it looks like the players haven’t a clue what formation we’re playing at any one time or how they’re meant to execute it.
He needs to invest some time in building a relationship with the fans instead of bemoaning OT crowds.
He needs to invest in the club, find out what it’s about, get his head out of his own ass and realise that no player is bigger than the club and more importantly, no manager is bigger than the club. He makes it all about him and crying about other teams spending is small time. He needs to man up, shoulder some blame, protect his players and build some team spirit instead of being a grey cloud.
By far the best comment. We are second to city. Playing badly but above the rest. Imagine if we hit our top gear? The top gear can only be achieved not by spending over the moon but by Mourinho starting to behave manly. Tackle challenges head on, fight head up, compete pound for pound not became a silly cry baby. Improve players, improve the mood for the players mood of the fans, mood of the board. Play positive lets see where our real shortcomings are address them but turning players to zombie, nobody can play well, pass well, defend well De Gea can not come to clear his lines from crosses 40 yards out it underlines confidence is low, players are doubting their talents and its Mourinho work to address those. His fundamental job is dealing with players. Are our players that bad??? Naaaah

Mourinho is surely trolling. Shaw at 30m cost more than Jesus. Lindelof cost the same as Sane.

Mourinho's net spend is 237m vs pep's 287m. It's not exactly worlds apart. The difference is how they spend it. Mourinho spent 165m on Pogba and Lukaku. City spent 165m to buy De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane and Jesus.

I don't think it is in any way disproportionate to what you've seen between two title rivals in former eras.

For more comparison, United has fewer points at this stage than Liverpool did last season.. Klopp's net spend is 26m.

If Mourinho is saying he can only win the league by being the top spender in the league, he should just quit.

Last edited:
Everyone can see it's not enough. Our squad is a complete mess. While City had a clear plan how to become the best club in England, we became mediocre TOP 6 club with absolutely no idea how to run the club. Most of our signings especially under LVG were overrated and overpriced mid table level players. We need to be more ruthless and clear the deadwood, freeing up wage budget. I feel that with Mou we at least get a decent money for sales. Now if you look at our team - it's beyond a joke. We have no RW at all, we have no fullbacks and the team is hilariously inconsistent. Martial and Rashford (who I think is massively overrated but that's for another thread) have like 1 good game in 5. Same for Mata/Mkhitaryan. Lukaku has no service whatsoever.

It's funny how many people over here say we can play attacking football. We can't. We can't play possession football because most of our players act like they see the ball for the first time in their lives and lose it under any sort of pressure (by possession I mean in attacking half, not near our GK like we did under LVG). We can't play a fluid counter attacking football as well because our players simply lack intelligence how to move, when to pass the ball etc. Clear example is Rashford against Leicester. Simple pass and Lukaku is 1 vs 1. What does he do? Stops and looks for a pass backwards. Don't even try to tell me it was an order from Mou. Rashford simply didn't have courage/skill/intelligence to make that pass. That's the problem we have. Get Ozil, good RW, fullbacks and we are good to go. We need another summer for that and hopefully no more players from Dortmund.

Mourinho is surely trolling. Shaw at 30m cost more than Jesus. Lindelof cost the same as Sane.

Mourinho's net spend is 237m vs pep's 287m. It's not exactly worlds apart. The difference is how they spend it. Mourinho spent 165m on Pogba and Lukaku. City spent on 165m to buy De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane and Jesus.

I don't think it is in any way disproportionate to what you've seen between two title rivals in former eras.

For more comparison, United has fewer points at this stage than Liverpool did last season.. Klopp's net spend is 26m.

If Mourinho is saying he can only win the league by being the top spender in the league, he should just quit.
Good he's not saying that then.

Also again that net spend. Ugh.

Does this mean that you are going backwards? ;)

Mourinho's net spend is 237m vs pep's 287m. It's not exactly worlds apart. The difference is how they spend it. Mourinho spent 165m on Pogba and Lukaku. City spent 165m to buy De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane and Jesus.

If Mourinho is saying he can only win the league by being the top spender in the league, he should just quit. To compla

Most useless stats ever.

The main problem is we seem to not be able to recuperate our transfer fees from failed players and either lose them for peanuts or on a free. It's a huge problem, right up there with our shite scouting department.

Does this mean that you are going backwards? ;)

For the time being - yeah, we've regressed. Mostly due to Mignolet/Moreno/Lovren's return to their natural clownish levels. Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum have all dropped a level compared to last season.

I think there's a platform for becoming better though. We've badly missed Lallana and with Keita coming in, should be looking at a midfield where Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum are relegated to 2nd choice. That 'just' leaves Mignolet and Lovren to be upgraded on. With a bit of luck, neither will be starting come February.

If Mourinho is saying he can only win the league by being the top spender in the league, he should just quit. To compla

Unfair to compare Mourinho's spending with City's spending.Either compare the Managers or the Clubs.

KDB and Sterling were already part of the Club when Pep joined.

I dare say not as useless as the ones Mourinho trudged out.

It will be hard to find a more useless stats than the one you mentioned. If you have other gems like this, bring it.

1) Do you believe that United's squad/XI is as strong as City's?

2) If not, how do you think United should attempt to close the gap in the next 12 months?

Not really sure why this is a big story, or why people have a problem with it.

Outside of minor miracles and fluke's, you just don't win the League or Champions league without spending big. Teams might show a great year based on form and confidence like Leicester and Spurs, but ultimately it all imploded at Leicester and Spurs have settled more this season.

Spurs are often lauded for their for their play, and they have the best striker in world football at the moment, yet they sit 5th and 18 points behind city. And in the summer barring a massive run of blistering form at towards the back-end of this season, i can see a few of their players being taken from them.

Money spent brings titles and consistent winning. Mou's points are valid, whether people like the amounts being talked about or not.

City had a much better teams when Pep and Mou took over, and Pep has spent not far off 100million more since. WHY did anybody realistically think United would be pushing past them this season.

And i dont understand why the amounts are still a "thing". People need to stop comparing football to the price of a pint of milk. Neymar cost 2/3 Mou's whole spend. PSG spent what? 150% of Mou's whole spend on two players? Barca paid huge for Dembele, and look like maybe spending similar for Coutinho.

Frankly if i was Mou id be saying similar. If u want the league, and you want to challenge for the champions league, and u want it to last more than a flash in the pan season, then spending more is necessary.

Go give Spurs 150 mill+ for harry kane, its better spent there than sitting with the glazers

Get all that but you make it sound like Glazers did not back Mou, or is vastly under spending, which is patently not true. He got 7 out of 8 players he wanted in the past two windows. For me, like a lot of others on here, have a problem with the optics which Mou always tries to perpetrate - one of being an aggrieved coach/team that has not been dealt a fair hand. I think all of your arguments are pretty persuasive but they per se do not negate the valid cricitisms posited by others. It is obvious that after two years he has not earned the United supporter’s love (aside from the Mou can do no wrong brigade). Mou needs to really take a look at himself and stop whining because he has been backed. He has achieved reasonable success but could be doing better, both in terms of achieving a more coherent and aggressive playing style and managing his squad and pushing for better performances and consistency.

Most useless stats ever.

I think it’s a fair enough stat. We constantly compared LVG points tally with Moyes at any point of the season. The fact that Liverpool had 43 points last season with 19 games and we’re there now with 20 games, José having spent a fortune and bemoaning it not being enough.... I found the stat interesting @B20

It's funny how some think pep has been spot on with his transfers. No he has not been. The thing is at city he can keep on spending which is what many point out. He bought Nolito, Bravo, spent absurd money on some Colombian kid. But because he is in such a club they went on to spend £100m more and corrected their mistakes. As big as united are I doubt that is possible here.

The reality is they have spent the most amount and hence are 1st and we have spent 2nd most amount and hence we are 2nd.

So you don't actually want to tackle the very obvious point that we had outscored those aforementioned teams, and yet some how we can't attack as well as they can? You want to model us on the attacking teams below us in the table who have scored less goals than we have? Makes absolute sense!!

We're 7th in chances created, comfortably behind Pool, Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea. That indicates that there's definitely a reason to worry about our attacking play.

Mourinho spent 165m on Pogba and Lukaku. City spent 165m to buy De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane and Jesus.

For me these numbers proves that there is merit to what Jose has said. His whole point is that selling teams know that United are 'expected' to win leagues and cups and so players we wish to buy are (over)priced accordingly. I don't think it's solely down to the fact that comparatively we're loaded. Whilst I don't quite agree with his bit about Chelsea, City and Arsenal not having this history of expectation it's borne out in the numbers you quote.

Surely we're not that shit at buying players and there is a heavy dose of price inflation going on because it's United. He's saying that United's £300m isn't worth the same as City's £300m because of that.

I think it’s a fair enough stat. We constantly compared LVG points tally with Moyes at any point of the season. The fact that Liverpool had 43 points last season with 19 games and we’re there now with 20 games, José having spent a fortune and bemoaning it not being enough.... I found the stat interesting @B20

And it's funny when the same stat is presented in jose''s favour by suggesting that any other season we would have been 1st or close to 1st placed team , Jose critics say these are excuses. But now when the similar stats becomes against jose it is said to be an interesting stat.

In my opinion he is half right, that more money definitely does need to be spent on the side. But at the same time, we have spent an almighty amount of money on the side over the last 3/4/5 years too. I know that wasn't just Jose but regardless, so much money has been thrown around and there has been some really poor scouting and purchasing in truth.

LvG really did hurt us with some of the transfers made during his tenure, between wasting millions on players who aren't here anymore such as Di Maria / Memphis / Morgan, and other players that are good squad options but really aren't good enough to be starting players for the team such as Darmian / Blind / Rojo etc. Fellaini and Mata, after coming in during Moyes tenure, have had good moments & patches and (again) proved good squad options, but they aren't good enough to be starting every week either. This has led to having a very good squad, with players who can do a job for a couple of games, but really the main 11-15 players aren't good enough and more top quality is required.
Some players have just not cut it either (looking at you Mikhi), and while that can happen to any team purchasing a player, it seems to happen with regularity to us and we need to be having more care when scouting players, looking for the thing within a players personality that is going to push them to succeed every single game and want to give their all for us. United are a massive club, it's understandable that some good players elsewhere may not be able to make that extra step up to play for a huge club. Lingard isn't the best player in the squad, but I would have another 5 or 6 players with his attitude and drive, and I think he puts some of the other players to shame. Against Burnley he threw everything into getting something out of the game, while others looked like they couldn't honestly care any less.

Jose is right, there is some heavy investment required in certain areas. Pogba and Matic are brilliant on the whole in the midfield, but a third midfielder of real excellence is required too as when either Pogba or Matic are not there it is so obvious how short we are in midfield. Maybe Ander can become what he was last season but there has been no evidence of that in the first half of this season. I love Valencia and he is a great option for us but we really need a proper right back, and while Shaw has played well the last few games when given the chance, the jury is still out for a left back too. He might turn things round as well and it would be great to see, but in all probability we're going to need 2 full backs in the summer. Jose mentioned City signing full backs for big money, but look at the impact they have had. We need a wide player for the right hand side definitely, and we also need another forward to provide a different option. Lukaku is a good player despite having a rough time the now, and Martial and Rashford have the potential, but they are not the finished article, we need another option up top to lessen the load. In spite of all that, I honestly don't think we are a million miles away, I think it is just heavy spending for a key number of areas that would make all the difference to a very good squad.

The starting 11 definitely needs improved, no doubt about it. But I despair when I think of the money wasted in the last 3/4 years. We seem to have smartened up a bit under Jose and with purchases like Pogba / Matic / Lukaku we are intent on improving the starting 11, this must continue because after some of the purchases under LvG and Moyes, the LAST thing we need is more squad players.

Liverpool ended up scrapping 4th place from Arsenal at the end. They're currently also struggling to keep the 4th place week in week out.

That stat is useless.

1) Do you believe that United's squad/XI is as strong as City's?

2) If not, how do you think United should attempt to close the gap in the next 12 months?

1) No

2) What Mourinho is moving the debate away from by talking about how City spend more (a whopping 20% more) is that he is also well behind in other parameters that city do better:
A/ they spend their money better than United have done
B/ Guardiola is getting much more out of his players than Mourinho is​

A & B would be the ways to close the gap. Mourinho seems to basically have thrown the towel in the ring and just complained about expenditure, since he is behind on all other parameters as well.

We are one of the biggest spender in the world football in past few years, I would think spending is the least of our problems.