Most overrated ex Manchester United players

Agreed, VdS was better.

In today's game I'd agree, VDS would be classed as the better keeper as he was better with his feet.

In their own eras though Schmeichel was the better keeper, for me. His command of his box, his saves, his aura. You listen to the strikers of the day like Wright or Shearer talk about him and it's all you need to know. No other keeper gets talked about like he does, just how players would over think "How am I supposed to score against this guy?".

Schmeichel was an excellent keeper full stop.

In today's game I'd agree, VDS would be classed as the better keeper as he was better with his feet.

In their own eras though Schmeichel was the better keeper, for me. His command of his box, his saves, his aura. You listen to the strikers of the day like Wright or Shearer talk about him and it's all you need to know. No other keeper gets talked about like he does, just how players would over think "How am I supposed to score against this guy?".
The trouble was, his lows were so low you'd need a miner to find them.

I can't believe Carrick is mentioned here. We haven't had a midfielder like Carrick since he retired. His passing and positioning were amazing.

For an answer to be right in this thread - you have to upset a lot of people.

Basically retired by age 30. The eighth best starter in the treble winning side for me but often considered the most popular player. Not as good as Scholes, Keane or Giggs in the midfield for sure. Struggled to start at Real Madrid. Spent years of his career at a nothing club.

Number 2 in the Ballon d'or that season you are referencing.

Was it 20 assists that year? I lose track with how many goal contributions he had playing as a winger in a traditional 4-4-2.

I’d say Beckham is vey overrated. He was a very good player for us and later for Madrid, but definitely not in the “elite” category that many think he was. His legend grew exponentially after playing alongside the “true” Madrid galacticos and continued well after his retirement.

I’d say Beckham is vey overrated. He was a very good player for us and later for Madrid, but definitely not in the “elite” category that many think he was. His legend grew exponentially after playing alongside the “true” Madrid galacticos and continued well after his retirement.

"Elite"

Based on the era he played.

His goal contributions were elite.
His contribution to build up was elite.
His passing was elite
His striking of the ball was elite.
His crossing was the elite of the elite
His deadballs were the 0.00001% of all time
His defensive work rate was elite.
What he won on his career was elite.
He was desperately wanted by the Real Madrid side as the crown jewel of the Galacticos
He was good at Madrid then basically won them a title himself against the Ronaldinho Barcelona side.

Where did he fail to meet that bench mark?

People who say this look at Salah and say "Becks was a right winger and so was Salah and Salah scored loads more goals"

Not understanding Beckham's role was far more comparable to De Bruyne than Salah.

It was the other way around, during his heydays he was praised in an extreme way.

His looks and off the pitch affairs contribute to such level of fame.

He never was that kind of super special player in terms of talent and atributes, yet at the same time he was better than many give credit to.
When retired, people actually tend to look at him in a more bening and accurate way, since on his heydays the praise was way over the top.
He was an Elite footballer that never had a claim to be the best in the world but at the same time gave his best time and again showing his best atributes in a pretty consistent style.

For an answer to be right in this thread - you have to upset a lot of people.

Basically retired by age 30. The eighth best starter in the treble winning side for me but often considered the most popular player. Not as good as Scholes, Keane or Giggs in the midfield for sure. Struggled to start at Real Madrid. Spent years of his career at a nothing club.
8th best in the treble side?! As in in the treble season? Becks was a monster that season!

Scholes. Not as good as Keane and not always trusted by Fergie. Fantastic player but the fact that he's been mentioned in the 'top 25 players since 2002' thread shows how his legend has grown.

For balance, I'm the same on Xabi Alonso for us....very overrated.

Not a fan of passing, huh?

I think he was a great player but I do agree. He was good and very useful in quite a small squad but it definitely got overblown due to us being down to the bare bones at points that season.

Alan Smith contributed nearly as much after Henrik left.
We obviously didn’t get prime Larsson. One of those players that would have been a good addition earlier in his career.

I didn’t expect much from Smith at all when we signed him. Generally, though, prior to his injury I thought he was a pretty good squad player.

I can't believe Carrick is mentioned here. We haven't had a midfielder like Carrick since he retired. His passing and positioning were amazing.
Agreed. If anything, he was underrated. Great player.

Park Ji Sung - Blown up to be mort important than he was due to some good champions league performances, playing him almost always conceded possession and made us defensive. If you played him against a lower table Premier league club that wasn't wolves it would be like having 10 players.

Welbeck - Shite. Bambie on ice, absolute shithouse anytime he's played us since.

Berbatov - Lazy, feckless. Had one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a United player in that fa cup semi final against city.

.......... And don't kill me but

Edwin Van Der Sar - World class but nowhere near Schmeichel, unfairly got credit for that European record of clean sheets when Vidic played out of skin for us and should've won player of the year but for a slip against Torres.

Herrera is probably one of the most overrated United players I can remember. Berbatov, Carrick, and Romero are good shots too.

I'll stop reading this thread before I begin to hate all of you. Nearly all of my favorite players are overrated it seems. Berbatov, Carrick, Park, VdS, even Paul fecking Scholes.

8th best in the treble side?! As in in the treble season? Becks was a monster that season!

8th best is just hilarious, undoubtedly the player alongside Yorkey who contributed most that season, hence all the personal awards. (In the CL alone he had 8 assists and 2 goals in 10 games). Scholes for example was fecking left out for Butt in Turin, that’s how “important” he was for us at that time in comparison, against Inter away Fergie preferred Phil fecking Neville in CM.

For a right sided midfielder like Beckham to contribute to 29 goals in 51 CL, PL & FA Cup games is absolutely outrageous. In contrast Giggs contributed 16.

Just watch the last 15 minutes v Bayern and you’ll see the one player who drives us on more than anyone.
2nd best player in the World that season, but sure, let’s trust Wummy that he wasn’t even 7th best at his own club

Last edited:
Park Ji Sung - Blown up to be mort important than he was due to some good champions league performances, playing him almost always conceded possession and made us defensive. If you played him against a lower table Premier league club that wasn't wolves it would be like having 10 players.

Welbeck - Shite. Bambie on ice, absolute shithouse anytime he's played us since.

Berbatov - Lazy, feckless. Had one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a United player in that fa cup semi final against city.

.......... And don't kill me but

Edwin Van Der Sar - World class but nowhere near Schmeichel, unfairly got credit for that European record of clean sheets when Vidic played out of skin for us and should've won player of the year but for a slip against Torres.
Decent shout. Great as a utility player but there are people that say we're crying out for a player like him. No we're not.

8th best is just hilarious, undoubtedly the player alongside Yorkey who contributed most that season, hence all the personal awards. (In the CL alone he had 8 assists and 2 goals in 10 games). Scholes for example was fecking left out for Butt in Turin, that’s how “important” he was for us at that time in comparison, against Inter away Fergie preferred Phil fecking Neville in CM.

For a right sided midfielder like Beckham to contribute to 29 goals in 51 CL, PL & FA Cup games is absolutely outrageous. In contrast Giggs contributed 16.

Just watch the last 15 minutes v Bayern and you’ll see the one player who drives us on more than anyone.
2nd best player in the World that season, but sure, let’s trust Wummy that he wasn’t even 7th best at his own club.
I’m not talking just about that year. I’m talking about their overall careers. Of the starters from 99 - Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Stam, Schmeichel, Irwin were all better players in their position than Beckham and I’d have Neville as well due to longevity and just because I like him more.

Yet ask anyone who United’s best three players were around the turn of the millennium they’d probably say Beckham.

2nd best player in the World that season, but sure, let’s trust Wummy that he wasn’t even 7th best at his own club
It's fancy to say Beckham wasn't great. He is one of those players that would be world-class in the modern era

Martial - He had good spells but never showed the consistency to be awarded the cult hero status. At one point there was thread that someone wouldn't swap him for Messi. Mental!

Mata - Another cult hero (hugs...:drool:) who was mostly useless and stayed far longer than he should have. His apology letters after every shitty performance and loss was annoying.

Herrera - At no point he was the 'best midfielder in the league'.

Rojo - terrible terrible player and defender.

Herrera and Mata. Mata especially, a really invisible player that wasn't quick or strong enough

Id also add Welbeck due to the reaction on here after he was sold and how some posters pined for him after a goal every few months.

Has to be Berba for me. Super talented, and ridiculous touch, but he was never at his best for us consistently.

Looking back at some of his highlights these days, you'd think he was tearing it up.

Some awful shouts in this thread. Gary Neville was not overrated, he played over 600 times for the club in an era where we dominated. And the Scholes claims I'm not even going to comment on and pretend it's just bitter scousers making those ridiculous posts.

Decent shout. Great as a utility player but there are people that say we're crying out for a player like him. No we're not.

I'd argue that rather than this type of player, fans are are crying out for players with Parks determination, commitment, loyalty and energy. On the ball he was one of the worse I've ever seen in a Utd shirt. Off the ball he was something else though. Complimented our attacking talent well.

I'd add Kagawa, DDG and most definitely Pogba to the list as well.

Schmeichel … Very good, but I don't remember him being as good as people say (maybe I was too young).

I have rewatched some old games and he is flappy as hell. Just running out, flaxing at everything. From what I've seen VDS was a better all-round keeper.

Carrick, Scholes, Schmeichel, Berbatov, Herrera are my five candidates for most overrated United player. I also think some Fergie players are overrated because they played in a great team. I'm thinking maybe Anderson, Rafael.

Herrera & Rafael.
If Rafael wasn't so injury prone we would be talking about him being out best RB ever. He had Ronaldo in his pocket until Ronaldo ran away from him to attack evra instead.

Michael Carrick, our fans were so starved of any mid who could pass about at a decent to high level that they convinced themselves he was "World Class". Far from it, teams which could recycle possession quick or pressed effectively he looked devoid of ideas. Still a good player mind, but I never really thought he had the edge to him when we were playing big European teams. His performance in 2nd leg of QF against Bayern at home, my opinion changed on him.

Recent history, Juan Mata. His only great season arrived at Chelsea, and he was thoroughly underwhelming during his time here. His quality stood out in certain moments perhaps due to the fact how abysmally low on quality we were running elsewhere.

Michael Carrick, our fans were so starved of any mid who could pass about at a decent to high level that they convinced themselves he was "World Class". Far from it, teams which could recycle possession quick or pressed effectively he looked devoid of ideas. Still a good player mind, but I never really thought he had the edge to him when we were playing big European teams. His performance in 2nd leg of QF against Bayern at home, my opinion changed on him.

Recent history, Juan Mata. His only great season arrived at Chelsea, and he was thoroughly underwhelming during his time here. His quality stood out in certain moments perhaps due to the fact how abysmally low on quality we were running elsewhere.

yeah I always thought Carrick looked quite poor at the highest level, in the most important games. He had a really, really tough time against Barcelona in the finals. He wasn't press-resistant and quite slow. But as you said, a really good player, just not a great one. He is certainly overrated by United supporters.

yeah I always thought Carrick looked quite poor at the highest level, in the most important games. He had a really, really tough time against Barcelona in the finals. He wasn't press-resistant and quite slow. But as you said, a really good player, just not a great one. He is certainly overrated by United supporters.

We were outnumbered in midfield against possibly the greatest club team ever.

Fergie wasn't brilliant tactically.

Carrick was one of the best players in the world in his position for basically a decade. That's world class.

If Rafael wasn't so injury prone we would be talking about him being out best RB ever. He had Ronaldo in his pocket until Ronaldo ran away from him to attack evra instead.

This happens with Wan Bissaka every game and people dont rate him as our best RB ever, so i disagree.

Rafael hardly did anything in attack or defensively except some speedy running & an occasional long range shot,lucky to be under SAF to win a title & no wonder his career deteriorated as soon as SAF left under Moyes & LVG.

Last edited:
We were outnumbered in midfield against possibly the greatest club team ever.

Fergie wasn't brilliant tactically.

yeah I know it isn't fair to base it on just these two games but IMO he showed that he isn't press-resistant at all then. Even tough we were outclassed you could see players like Rooney performing.