Most overrated ex Manchester United players

Juan Mata, he didnt have one full top or world class season. And he looked past it for most of his time here.

You could always see the class and technique, but output was so limited. Way too slow and weak.

Not going to be a popular one but evra. Amazing attacking FB but defensively so many mistakes.

Whilst Stam was incredible, I always thought a lot of his legend is somewhat tied up in what could have been had he stuck around.

Granted, I was 7 when he signed for us so maybe not the best judge.

Nah. He was Rio and Vidic rolled into one. May, Berg and especially Johnson had their talents, but Stam was a one man centre half pairing for lots of the time in our most successful period.

He could do everything that Terry, Ferdinand, Adams and VVD could do, and they’re the best the PL has ever seen. Had he had a world class CB partner alongside him at the time, he’d be appreciated more. All his partners had deficiencies.

Carrick

Good player, overrated by United fans.
I think it is really only Carrick and Scholes who are consistently overrated. Mostly because of our midfield woes for the best part of the last 2 decades and us failing to get any sort of adequate replacement for them.

Don’t get me wrong, Carrick was very good and Scholes was great, but their reputation really grew after they retired. When they played, there were question marks even about Scholes, let alone Carrick. Question marks not in the sense that they were not good (they were), but their flaws were more subject to discussion at the time.

After their retirement the discussion of them became a bit one-sided: people would mostly bring up their strongest attributes and bemoan the lack of them in current squad but hardly mention their flaws.

Whether a player is overrated depends on how highly he is rated.
Calling Carrick world class is overrating.
Veron was also overrated in that he never became a real success in England.
Beckham's overall career is overrated, though he was brilliant until 2003. After that not so much.
May be an unpopular view here, but Best was not a better player than Law or Charlton. Just different.

Schmeichel … Very good, but I don't remember him being as good as people say (maybe I was too young).

Carrick (very good for us but not THAT good).
Herrera (decent player only)
G. Neville. Solid player in great squad

Scholes and Keane where different players. And get a grip. Not trusted by Fergie? Called him to came from retirement.
0/10 for trolling.
Wish I am mod. I am sick of opo newbies.
Give over. I never once said that I didn't think that he was an absolutely fantastic player, just that he seems to have taken on this almost mythical status. I'm not trolling at all - the fact that I made a point of trying to equate it to a Liverpool player and how they are viewed through rose-tinted glasses should tell you that!

I don’t think Gary was world class but to play for United during that period for so long during that era speaks to his quality. Fergie wasn’t scared of replacing players and there were plenty of quality RBs around at the time. Maybe he gets overrated in that he makes peoples “all time PL XIs” when he was nothing more than a solid RB than played for 15 years, but that doesn’t mean he was shit. Longevity is an asset too just like creativity or physicality. Some people are born with it and Gary had it in spades

Some terrible takes in this thread (and topic). Do people even know what overrated means?

- Nani is still to this day our best winger/wide forward since Ronaldo left. A very good (and inconsistent) player
- Zlatan and Herrera remain two of our best signings post Fergie. Worth keeping in mind that this is a low bar though.
- Valencia and Neville are aptly rated by pretty much everyone
- De Gea? BECKHAM? SCHMEICHEL? You got to be kidding me..

Veron by a mile. Time has made people forget about some of his performances. He was poor in the Premier League matches, kept getting caught in possession in dangerous positions. Didn't connect at all with the rest of the midfield. When Nicky Butt played, he was far better for the balance of the team.

He did play well in Europe for whatever reason but he wasn't any use in the league.

The hell man.

For an answer to be right in this thread - you have to upset a lot of people.

Basically retired by age 30. The eighth best starter in the treble winning side for me but often considered the most popular player. Not as good as Scholes, Keane or Giggs in the midfield for sure. Struggled to start at Real Madrid. Spent years of his career at a nothing club.

Young, Smalling, Mata

Terrible signings that should have left the club 6-8 years before they did

I think some people are seeing "such and such was overrated" and turning that into " Oh, so you're saying he was total shit then?!"
There are middle grounds you know, it is possible for someone to be a very, very good player but also still overrated.

De Gea.
Was never the best in the world. He was an outstanding shot stopper with amazing reflexes, but never came off line, was bullied easily, poor with his feet and didn't organise his defence.

Agree on Herrera; a decent enough midfielder but players like him are ten a penny.
Spot on with these two, I'd add berbatov who constantly slowed everything down and wasn't a prolific goal scorer either. Louis Saha also had a very average return for us in front of goal, was perma crocked and was unbelievably shit when through one on one against the keeper. Hargreaves was an average as feck footballer with average technique and one decent tournament for england had people talking like he was something special, he failed miserably as a central midfielder for us, his best performances came at right back, the summer we went for him, I was screaming for us to go for Marcos Senna who would have been ideal for us in midfield.

Ibrahimovic - Missed a lot of chances, and thought his link up play was pretty sloppy too. Numbers were decent but performances overall were underwhelming.

Mata - Wasn't a playmaker. Had decent moments in the final third and was a good finisher, but was invisible in a lot of the games he played and didn't knit together our attacking play in the manner in which I hoped he would.

Herrera - Ran around a lot. Largely unimaginative with the ball. Was a decent player, but didn't possess a single outstanding quality.

Tevez - Overweight whilst at Utd. Lacked agility and dynamism and wasn't a great finisher either. Was far better and looked more athletic for City and Juve.

Carrick - Was a good player, but for a player of his ilk, was really poor when pressed, which exposed how one-paced and rigid he was. Good range of passing without being spectacular and didn't stamp his authority on games enough. Do commend him though for keeping our midfield somewhat afloat whilst not having a good, consistent partner for many a year, after Scholes declined.

Those saying Beckham need to get a different hobby. He's one of the most regularly underrated players in the history of the Premier League.

Maybe because he got so famous that people think it's cool to pretend he wasn't that good. I'm not sure.

He was a fantastic all around player. He would be the best player in the Premier League right now.

Herrera won the ball more often than Kante in the season he won player of the year... as a ball winning midfielder. He lost duels more often also, but he was better on the ball. That's not to say he was a better player, but it certainly puts into perspective just how underrated he was at United. In a functioning side, he would've been lauded.

In that season Kante won 3.6 tackles per game, Herrera won 2.7.

Think Nani is harsh. I would say most people have a balanced view of him as being a really good winger. Anyone who thinks he's over rated probably expected him to actually be the second coming of Ronaldo and judge him to that standard which is pointless.

Absolute most over rated player in Herrera. Jack of some trades, master of none. Gave a good interview though.

Zlatan is another good shout, although I don't think people over rate his time here, just his career in general. Spent too many years at psg for me, but he was really good.

No worries. These websites aren't mobile friendly.

So Herrera had:
More assists, aerial duels won, MOTMs, interceptions, clearances, blocks, key passes, higher average passing and a higher overall rating in 26/17.

That's pretty good in my books!

Yep he was brilliant that season by nearly every metric. Kante is just a uniquely special player in ball recoveries pretty much in football history. No shame 2.7 is a very good number.

I rated Herrera quite highly.

Agree on Mata too. I loved him at Chelsea and was buzzing when he signed, but he was only ever decent for United. He's held up in some quarters as a incredible talent but we rarely saw that here.

Henrik Larsson. I know it was only a short spell, but the way Sir Alex and many others talked about him was way over the top. I was never particularly impressed with either his game or his overall contribution.

Henrik Larsson. I know it was only a short spell, but the way Sir Alex and many others talked about him was way over the top. I was never particularly impressed with either his game or his overall contribution.

I think he was a great player but I do agree. He was good and very useful in quite a small squad but it definitely got overblown due to us being down to the bare bones at points that season.

Alan Smith contributed nearly as much after Henrik left.

Here’s a controversial one

Nistelrooy

Great striker but was he ever part of a great team? Perhaps too one dimensional.

Granted he was quality but perhaps overrated by Utd supporters - I wouldn’t have him in Top 5 premiership forwards for example
what?

Tevez as a player wasn't overrated (not even at United), in fact he was quite underrated during his carreer.
Yet he indeed played second fiddle and had better seasons PRIOR and AFTER Man Utd, shyte happens.

Rudd was great for United, Veron wasn't overrated as a player in general, yet and odd choice for that particular period from Man Utd, Becks was excellent, he just wasn't the "best player in the world" in such terms, then "he was", Zlatan wasn't in his prime, yet he still was Zlatan.

Some terrible takes in this thread (and topic). Do people even know what overrated means?

- Nani is still to this day our best winger/wide forward since Ronaldo left. A very good (and inconsistent) player
- Zlatan and Herrera remain two of our best signings post Fergie. Worth keeping in mind that this is a low bar though.
- Valencia and Neville are aptly rated by pretty much everyone
- De Gea? BECKHAM? SCHMEICHEL? You got to be kidding me..

Agree.

I swear we have had people moaning for almost a decade for a top goalscoring striker but then in the same breath say Zlatan is overrated and hindered our attack (spoiler he didn't, our attack was just crap around him mostly).

Nor do I think Carrick qualifies as "overrated" because a few think he's world class( which is a very fluid/subjective description that no one can agree upon anyways) when in reality he was just PL class.

Here’s a controversial one

Nistelrooy

Great striker but was he ever part of a great team? Perhaps too one dimensional.

Granted he was quality but perhaps overrated by Utd supporters - I wouldn’t have him in Top 5 premiership forwards for example

I see what you're going for but it's really picking nits because even if RVN isn't a true "all timer" it's so close that he's hardly "overrated".

For an answer to be right in this thread - you have to upset a lot of people.

Basically retired by age 30. The eighth best starter in the treble winning side for me but often considered the most popular player. Not as good as Scholes, Keane or Giggs in the midfield for sure. Struggled to start at Real Madrid. Spent years of his career at a nothing club.
Upset a lot of people or be a complete looney. I fear you're the latter.