Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Sounds a good idea.

No doubt lower league fans will be complaining again that its a stepping stone to getting PL2 sides into the pyramid system - just like they do with the current EFL Trophy format.

But, like that, it seems a good idea that should be a mutually beneficial tournament.

It’s a good idea for sure, but mainly from the PL clubs’ point of view. Now whether the National League sides will actually field their best players… just like in the EFL Trophy. There’s not much to gain for them.

I'd imagine this one would have more U18s involved than the EFL Trophy side though. With the UEFA Youth Cup, EFL Trophy and the PL2 alongside it's associated competitions, the fixture schedule is getting a bit tight.

It’s a good idea for sure, but mainly from the PL clubs’ point of view. Now whether the National League sides will actually field their best players… just like in the EFL Trophy. There’s not much to gain for them.
£1m prize money is probably the main incentive to get teams fielding stronger sides.

£1m prize money is probably the main incentive to get teams fielding stronger sides.

That sum will be distributed among the NL sides, not sure if all but still several clubs. Not sure what promotion to the EFL is worth but if it’s one competition they have to choose to focus on I’m sure it will be the league for most clubs.

Another interesting aspect is broadcasting. It’ll probably be the same £10/match fans have to pay for these.

I guess the prize money helps, but non league sides must be fed up with cup matches. My local 8th tier side are about to play their 10th game of the season at the weekend and it will be their 7th in the various cup competitions.

Will be United connections in all those games. Max Haygarth plays for Alty, Otis Khan for Oldham, Charlie McCann at Forest Green & Aidan Barlow for Rochdale.