Music Metallica

Unlucky for you, as i saw them the next day at Donington and they were amazing. I've seen them live about 6 times now at various festivals and i think they've been great every time. For me, one the best... and most importantly... consistent live bands iv'e seen.
Mate of mine had gone to see them the time before this when they were in Dublin(the same show Paolo Di Canio mentions, likely), and the Download one. Said they were immense the first time(it was him hyping that show that was the reason I went to Download), but also thought they were rubbish at Download.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were just coasting, with the much bigger show at Donnington the next day, or was it the day before they were at Donningtion? The Dublin Download show was a Sunday, IIRC....

They seemed to have a lot of sound issues too for the first 5 or 6 songs.

Quality. What it's about. Said while I was watching Arcade Fire earlier (Admittedly extremely different than Metallica) how there's kids slagging them off that haven't listened to a full album (of anyone's) in their life, yet they criticize these major acts that are headlining one of the biggest festivals there is. Best thing is to ignore them - proper music fans know Metallica will own that place tomorrow night.

Out of interest what did you play in the tribute band? Who's role?

Rhythm

There were three of us (guitar)

About 70% Hetfield for me - it may not be the twiddly role but GOD it hurts to play.

Our Mustaine / Hammet was the dogs.

Back to this years years festival. - I'm sad to see Metallica there - they're better than this.

Last edited:
Saw them in Dublin one time(at an Irish version of Download), sadly they were fecking awful that day, left early, they were that bad.

It was a shame Burton used so much distortion, it often muddied their mix, and made him hard to hear, Newsted's sound fit them like a glove, although he wasn't near as naturally talented as Burton.

Nah, they're not half the band they once were. Some of Death Magnetic was very good tbf.

He's bang average, and for some mind-boggling reason, plays arseways, following the guitars. His best skills were always his business mind, and ruthlessness.

Most metal bands do that, Sabbath did it first, in fact their whole style is THAT. He follows Hetfield, it makes sense, and they made five classic albums out of that.

Mate of mine had gone to see them the time before this when they were in Dublin(the same show Paolo Di Canio mentions, likely), and the Download one. Said they were immense the first time(it was him hyping that show that was the reason I went to Download), but also thought they were rubbish at Download.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were just coasting, with the much bigger show at Donnington the next day, or was it the day before they were at Donningtion? The Dublin Download show was a Sunday, IIRC....

They seemed to have a lot of sound issues too for the first 5 or 6 songs.

Yeah i saw them at Donnington and they were amazing, such an energetic show. I did hear Download in Ireland was plagued with issues, and not just for Metallica.

Most metal bands do that, Sabbath did it first, in fact their whole style is THAT. He follows Hetfield, it makes sense, and they made five classic albums out of that.
I........

Nope. All the nope.
Yeah i saw them at Donnington and they were amazing, such an energetic show. I did hear Download in Ireland was plagued with issues, and not just for Metallica.
Yeah, there's a good reason it was never repeated. Metallica had by far the most issues though, rest of the bands I heard got by just fine. There were scheduling issues too, with Korn not playing, half the bands swapped stages and timeslots, nearly missed AIC over that, luckily we were close to the stage they ended up on just when you could hear them kick off.

Glasto can do one, it's all about their appearance at Soni this year.

I........

Nope. All the nope.

Yeah, there's a good reason it was never repeated. Metallica had by far the most issues though, rest of the bands I heard got by just fine. There were scheduling issues too, with Korn not playing, half the bands swapped stages and timeslots, nearly missed AIC over that, luckily we were close to the stage they ended up on just when you could hear them kick off.

Well Korn nearly didn't play Donington either. Davis collapsed back stage, but they played and used numerous different vocalists from different bands. I'm not a huge Korn fan but Corey Taylor singing with them was pretty awesome.

Glastonbury is apparently the festival of contemporary arts. Therefore that means any genre of music can play there right? Sure Glastonbury doesn't tend to have metal bands playing at the festival and I like many was surprised to see one of my favourite bands Metallica announced to headline but I think this whole controversy which has surrounded their appearance has been well over the top. Remember when people were questioning Jay-Z headlining? Those doubters were all proven wrong afterwards and I'm sure the same will happen tonight with Metallica.

I'm fairly certain they'll smash it tonight, tbh, they don't fail to deliver on the massive dates.
Well Korn nearly didn't play Donington either. Davis collapsed back stage, but they played and used numerous different vocalists from different bands. I'm not a huge Korn fan but Corey Taylor singing with them was pretty awesome.
I head that was pretty awesome, IIRC it was too late notice to arrange something similar like that for Ireland.
Haven't been the same since Newsted left.
Love Trujillo, but awesome as he is, square peg in a round hole.

Still can't believe he has the Bass of Doom, and brought it on stage with Metallica.

Really looking forward to them later. Should be quality.

Apparently Jack White covered Enter Sandman during his set. Does that indicate Metallica may not?

I have the Metallica show set to record as I'll have to flick through a couple of menus every time I want to swap from ITV.
Fecking ufc is on too. I'm recording that and can't record Metallica and also watch the footy

Too much stuff om

Expecting an elaborate Stage setup. Jack White has just finished and Metallica aren't on for an hour.

Just going back to the previous page - If Lars Ulrich is getting slagged for anything, it should be for being a colossal bellend. He's a reasonable drummer. Very limited in terms of flair, but he's a solid, heavy hitter. His technique is very good in that respect. Efficiency and accent always come first on the drums, for me. He compliments Hetfields very percussive rhythmic playing down to the ground.

Is the full set on TV somewhere or is just what the BBC are putting on at 9:30 ?
Red Button has been live all weekend, standard channels usually are an hour behind.

Shirt the band had made for tonight...

BrPZY4TIAAE9SX5.png

If they promised not to play anything post 'Justice' I'd watch.

There's a fecking choir on stage! Theres like 150 people on the stage.

Might not be a choir but there's loads of people on the stage. I mean like at least 100 by the looks of it.

Some of them have flags.

Looks like they've just picked random fans out to be on stage - quality. Crowd also seems to be into it.

Nah they will be MetClub members, Still a great gesture.
Kid who was just on in the stones T-shirt and the lad in the white I think were Robert Plants' guitarist's kids - they were on stage with Plant before.