Music Metallica

Don't mind Metallica, i can listen to about 2 of there songs, with out it all sounding the same. Saw them at Reading, There opening and closing songs were epic, but to give them a 2 hour slot i thought, was not a great decision.

New album is alright, but as i said, can't listen to them too much.

I reckon if they done away with the singing and lyrics they'd be better for me.

For some reason i never liked they're lyrics as they are generally poor...And James can't help but add his Texas drawl which is again, annoying.

The music is what did it for me.

So do away with the singing and make an album of instrumentals

I reckon if they done away with the singing and lyrics they'd be better for me.

For some reason i never liked they're lyrics as they are generally poor...And James can't help but add his Texas drawl which is again, annoying.

The music is what did it for me.

So do away with the singing and make an album of instrumentals

They should also be forbidden from speaking in public, as they are monumental cretins.

Metallica's new record Death Magnetic set to go No.1

AMID the release of their ninth studio album, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich is making some incredulous, downright outrageous claims.
Ulrich, who might have been a professional tennis player had he not picked up the drumsticks, is calling his membership in one of the world's most legendary metal rock bands a hobby.

The drummer, enroute to another interview in Paris, insists his reality mirrors that of any suburban father.

This is scandalous talk on the eve of the release of the band's much anticipated ninth studio record, Death Magnetic.

How in Satan's name could Ulrich, a man who seemingly sold his soul for rock'n'roll and has indulged its hedonistic pleasures, suggest he is just like every other fortysomething bloke on the planet.

"We all live quiet normal lives in the suburbs outside San Francisco, taking our kids to school," he says, chuckling.

"My responsibilities are to wake up at 6.30 in the morning and make the lunch boxes.

"Hanging out in Paris doing TV shows and having nice fancy dinners and drinking expensive French wine, it's not exactly hard work.

"I tell the people with me that they have permission to slap me if I ever complain.

"None of them slap me enough because they are scared but I do encourage them."

So Ulrich is living every adult male's dream - he gets to run away from home to join the metal circus.

He readily agrees that Metallica is now the "fun part" of his life.

"I look increasingly at Metallica as my escape away from my real responsibilities which are my kids and family and my domestic situation," Ulrich says.

"A lot of people use the word job or work, but this is fun, it's an escape to go away on tour.

"I get more sleep on tour than when I am at home."

The drummer, his band cofounder frontman James Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Robert Trujillo are currently spread throughout Europe, filling their days with chatfests about Death Magnetic.

Their nights belong to the stage where they remain the kings of the epic rock performance to the legion of Metallica fans who have maintained their faith through less-than-stellar musical offerings and that confounding therapy session made public by the documentary Some Kind Of Monster.

But the title alone of their ninth record suggests some issues remain unresolved, at least for frontman Hetfield, who underwent nine months of rehabilitation for alcoholism and other addictions before the band recorded their 2003 album St Anger.

Death Magnetic's themes are classic metal lore with Hetfield suggesting he was originally inspired by "rock'n'roll martyrs" including Alice In Chains' Layne Staley.

In the end, Hetfield's lyrics run the gamut of mortality and as Ulrich agrees, it isn't the most uplifting of records.

But it is cathartic, as evidenced by the worshipful and energetic reaction of European fans to the new material on the band's current tour.

"It's not the most cheery of records," Ulrich says.

"There's a thread going through all the songs, through death and suicide, despair and misery and f***edupness.

"Death Magnetic was a way, an expression of summing all that up.

"The lyrics are always important to Metallica. They can't be forced and these ones came out quite late in the process, all from the twisted mind of one James Hetfield."

Ulrich said Hetfield worked in isolation on the words. The drummer was stunned when he heard the results.

"I was stunned at how great the lyrics were. And stunned how much s*** was going on in his head, how many issues are lingering in the poor man's head.

"So I was pleased from the creative viewpoint but a little concerned about the guy."

While Some Kind Of Monster showed Hetfield and Ulrich in a constant tug of war for control of the band they formed in 1981, an unlikely outsider was responsible for kickstarting Death Magnetic.

When I ask Ulrich who made the first call to get Metallica back in the studio, he laughs and pauses for effect before he drops the unexpected name.

"Mick Jagger. And I'll tell you why it was Mick Jagger. One of his reps called up Metallica's reps in the fall of 2005 and asked if we would play with the Rolling Stones in San Francisco," Ulrich explains.

"Our response was 'Fine, f*** it, we'll play with the Stones because it's something everyone should do once'.

"We met up a week before the shows after the better part of a year off and started rehearsing and hanging out.

"We had such a good time that literally the day after the Stones show, we went in and started going through the demo tapes."

The band members spent two months sorting through more than 25 hours worth of musical ideas from guitar riffs to drum patterns.

"It requires great patience but listen, it's a good thing to have a lot of stuff to go through and it's also a good thing to have the luxury of time.

"It's good to not be stressed or be forced by a record company to go make a record at a particular time."

Curiosity about Metallica's future intensified when they revealed mythic producer Rick Rubin would helm the recording sessions.

Rubin insisted the band not enter the studio until they had the songs perfected by playing them over and over again together.

But the sessions weren't all day and night affairs. When Hetfield rejoined the band in 2001 after rehabilitation, he would work four hour sessions so he could devote more time to his family.

That modus operandi continued in the studio for Death Magnetic - all the band members have children now - but Ulrich says that was as much due to the physical exertion required to play live for four hours.

The have a massage therapist on hand for between song rubdowns during your average two-and-a-half-hour Metallica concert so you an imagine how exhausted they are after four hours of playing, even with some very un-rock preparation.

"When you are trying to nail something in the studio, you have to bring an extra physicality because of the lack of an audience; you have to find it yourself, turn it up not just to 11 but to 12," Ulrich says.

"We don't do many takes - six, eight, maybe 10 and then we are done with it and you usually get three or four hours out of us at that level.

"There's definitely a routine for us in the studio and it also involves having a steam and yoga and fruit plates."

Of course all that happens behind closed doors and best it stays there so metal fans can remain blissfully oblivious to such gentle behaviour.

There is no doubt their regime and Rubin's guru-like guidance paid off with Death Magnetic being universally proclaimed a return to form.

It debuted at No.6 on the ARIA charts after just one day of sales, guaranteeing it will rocket to No.1 on Monday.

The album's first two singles The Day That Never Comes and Cyanide have made it onto the singles charts, a remarkable achievement when you consider they are each more than six-and-a-half minutes long.

Ulrich is understandably proud that a Metallica release has become such an event that radio bosses would air epic rock songs which stretch the under-four-minute attention span of the average listener.

"That is a victory. There's a lot of love and goodwill and positive momentum for this Metallica record," he says.

"Let's see in six months whether it sticks."

Death Magnetic out now. Metallica will tour Australia in 2009.

:lol::lol::lol:

I just got a ticket to their gig in Stockholm next year :devil:

Sold out in 10 minutes.

Ive been listening to the new album for a few days now and at first I thought it was a decent solid album but the more I listen to it the more and more I like it

Metallica are definitely back

Since the album came out... I've found myself listening to AJFA more and more, that is truly an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME album.

Yeah i heard there was a different sound to the Guitar Hero Rip so i downloaded it last night(Calm down Lars i've allready bought the album).

Does sound better IMO but i'd have to listen a bit more

Audiophile fans of Metallica shouldn't bother buying copies of their new album, Death Magnetic. According to one analyst, the record sounds better in the Guitar Hero video game.

"On purchasing our CD ... we gave the disc a spin and couldn't help wondering if our office headphones were faulty as the kick and snare drum seemed to be audibly clipping, along with some of the palm-muted guitar parts," wrote Chris Vinnecombe, guitar editor of music-making website MusicRadar.

The sound issues are a result of the "loudness war" - an ongoing industry effort to make recordings as loud as possible, so that on cursory listens tracks leap forcefully from the speakers. While any album can just have its volume turned up on your stereo, records like Death Magnetic have their audio compressed, making them inherently louder at the expense of dynamic range and sound quality.

The CD version of Death Magnetic takes this to an extreme, pushing the compression past the point of distortion. The version used on the Guitar Hero videogame, where players can solo along with James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett, has been mixed differently - with far better dynamic range. The videogame version of the record was made available last week, as an $18 (£9) download.

Mastering engineer Ian Shepherd's analysis of the two versions - shown as graphical waveforms - makes the CD version's hyper-compression acutely visible.

While there is no official response from the famously cantankerous Metallica camp, the engineer who mastered Death Magnetic is apparently as frustrated as the fans.

"I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction," said Ted Jensen, head engineer at Sterling Sound, quoted on the Metallica forum. "I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case, the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here."

"Believe me I'm not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/17/metallica.guitar.hero.loudness.war

I wouldn't mind Nearco....he'd demote someone for daring to have a liking to Metallica

I know all art is subjective but come on, there are limits. If someone claimed that Eastenders was superior to The Sopranos that would be wrong plain and simple.

I just think it`s a shame that a lot of good progressive metal is being made these day and yet Metallica seem to get the lion`s share of the attention. Far far better bands are out there that mainstream metal fans don`t know about. It`s their loss I suppose.

I know all art is subjective but come on, there are limits. If someone claimed that Eastenders was superior to The Sopranos that would be wrong plain and simple.

I just think it`s a shame that a lot of good progressive metal is being made these day and yet Metallica seem to get the lion`s share of the attention. Far far better bands are out there that mainstream metal fans don`t know about. It`s their loss I suppose.

Saying that I thought ...AJFA was their best work hardly equates "demoting" material does it? And hardly comparing Eastenders to The Sopranos :wenger: Alright many Metallica fans say that Master of Puppets is their best work and I can see why, I felt that way before in the past. I just personally thought (poor production aside) that ...AJFA was superior, when they cant play many songs live off there because they're so complex. Having said that Orion is my favourite song of all of their catalogue but I just feel that every song on ...AJFA is of extremely high quality. Not a big fan of "The Thing that should not be" though on MoP. Maybe many people cant get past the poor production, I don't know.

Once you`ve heard Oceanic or The Sun That Never Sets it matters feck all that MOP had better songs than AJFA - the latter had too many fillers.

Fillers? Pretty good fillers tbh

Will give those two albums you've listed a go though, out of courtesy and in the chance that they will make me forget about those two great albums.

I can't see any fillers either tbh :s

like lesclaypool... I am also going to give those 2 albums/bands a go.

Maybe FEoS... but Dyers Eve is proper Metallica... great song, awesome drumming in it too tbf.

As for the 2 albums you mentioned.. "Oceanic" is by Isis?

If so, I've heard songs from both now... and I don't get why you're bringing those albums up in a Metallica thread :s

It's obvious fans of Metallica are Thrash Metal/Heavy Metal type fans, neither fall into either of those categories imo. So it's highly unlikely I'll like them at all. So imo, those 2 albums would be nowhere near as good as the 2 Metallica albums mentioned... Although have Isis on in the background as I post this and it's intriguing... but at the same time I think they are relying heavily on distortion and other effects.

Dyers Eve and Frayed Ends of Sanity are average by 80s Metallica standards.

The drumming? Solo? Do nothing for you?

I just listened to False Light by Isis, I'm guessing I'll have to listen to the album as a whole to stand a better chance of liking it. Was decent upon first hearing I guess.

It's completely different from what Metallica were/are. Can you name me some thrash metal bands that you think have material worthy of comparison to MoP or ...AJFA?

VoiVod - Dimension Hatross, Killing Technology and Nothingface.
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Slayer - Reign In Blood, Hells Awaits
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion, Into The Pandemonium

Reign In Blood is the best album of the 80s period (Appetite for Destruction apart)

VoiVod at their best were the equal of Metallica imo.
Pleasure to Kill is a monumentally heavy, fast album.

VoiVod - Dimension Hatross, Killing Technology and Nothingface.
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Slayer - Reign In Blood, Hells Awaits
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion, Into The Pandemonium

Reign In Blood is the best album of the 80s period (Appetite for Destruction apart)

VoiVod at their best were the equal of Metallica imo.
Pleasure to Kill is a monumentally heavy, fast album.

Those are all pretty good, Kreator are awesome imo. But still, nowhere near close to Metallica :/

Pulling it from the depths of the caf but know we have some fans as Master of Puppets did really well in the Top 50 album vote (Top 10 if I remember rightly).

Really looking forward to their Glastonbury set tomorrow night - Arcade Fire were excellent tonight but reckon Metallica will out-do them (that's coming from a huge Arcade Fire fan and only moderate Metallica fan).

Anybody else tuning in?

Pulling it from the depths of the caf but know we have some fans as Master of Puppets did really well in the Top 50 album vote (Top 10 if I remember rightly).

Really looking forward to their Glastonbury set tomorrow night - Arcade Fire were excellent tonight but reckon Metallica will out-do them (that's coming from a huge Arcade Fire fan and only moderate Metallica fan).

Anybody else tuning in?

Seen Metallica live in Dublin in about 2003ish, there brilliant, would love if they played more stuff from Kill em' all though

They might get some shit there. Aren't they in a storm about hunting bears? I've seen online petitions against them.

I saw them at the Appollo in 1987 with Anthrax. A few days later, Cliff Burton died. I just don't think they were so good after that.

Seen Metallica live in Dublin in about 2003ish, there brilliant, would love if they played more stuff from Kill em' all though
They played it all in full at their own festival about a year ago, kicked arse.

They've been shit for about 15 years now.
Said usually by people who don't listen to their albums in 15 years :p

Reload was shit, St Anger was shit, Death Magnetic was meh.

Lars Ulrich is also the worst drummer in anything metal related.

Now that's just hyperbole, he's not THAT bad. He's only called bad because he's not in his 20s pulling out the blast beats enough.

Never seen them live myself and never been a 'fan', more an 'appreciator' if that makes sense (although I have listened to them a lot more recently) but definitely have a lot of respect for what they've done and would love to see them live, I'm sure It'd be class. think they'll get their shit tomorrow night but the people who appreciate the talent and musical longevity will know without a doubt they will kill it.

I'm sure they'll be great and prove all the doubters wrong.

No doubt, just listening to some classics now. 'The Unforgiven I' is such a phenomenal tune.

Been with Metallica since the early days ( seen them 20 or 30 times)

Played in a Metallica tribute band late 80's early 90's

Still listen to them and when I can be bothered to plug in I find myself playing their stuff.

4 out of 5 folk wanted a refund :boring:

For those of us that have been covered in piss and shit at real festivals - I feel sorry for the kids (and I include mine) that think they are even going to a festival this weekend

Proper gig....(turn it up).........

Last edited:
Saw them in Dublin one time(at an Irish version of Download), sadly they were fecking awful that day, left early, they were that bad.

They might get some shit there. Aren't they in a storm about hunting bears? I've seen online petitions against them.

I saw them at the Appollo in 1987 with Anthrax. A few days later, Cliff Burton died. I just don't think they were so good after that.
It was a shame Burton used so much distortion, it often muddied their mix, and made him hard to hear, Newsted's sound fit them like a glove, although he wasn't near as naturally talented as Burton.
Said usually by people who don't listen to their albums in 15 years :p
Nah, they're not half the band they once were. Some of Death Magnetic was very good tbf.
Now that's just hyperbole, he's not THAT bad. He's only called bad because he's not in his 20s pulling out the blast beats enough.
He's bang average, and for some mind-boggling reason, plays arseways, following the guitars. His best skills were always his business mind, and ruthlessness.

Unlucky for you, as i saw them the next day at Donington and they were amazing. I've seen them live about 6 times now at various festivals and i think they've been great every time. For me, one the best... and most importantly... consistent live bands iv'e seen.

Been with Metallica since the early days.

Played in a Metallica tribute band late 80's early 90's

Still listen to them and when I can be bothered to plug in I find myself playing their stuff.

4 out of 5 folk wanted a refund :boring:

For those of us that have been covered in piss and shit at real festivals - I feel sorry for the kids (and I include mine) that think they are even going to a festival.

Proper gig....(turn it up).........

Quality. What it's about. Said while I was watching Arcade Fire earlier (Admittedly extremely different than Metallica) how there's kids slagging them off that haven't listened to a full album (of anyone's) in their life, yet they criticize these major acts that are headlining one of the biggest festivals there is. Best thing is to ignore them - proper music fans know Metallica will own that place tomorrow night.

Out of interest what did you play in the tribute band? Who's role?