MEN: Raiola says Pogba/Mou relationship repaired

This isn't an either, or debate. Pogba hasn't played well for a while now, he deserves dropping. Just because you're the best player in theory doesn't give you the right to play every game. Better players than him have been dropped before and if you agree with it, it doesn't make you Graeme Souness.

Says the might team sitting mid table. Do you know how stupid we sound, that we can debate Paul Pogba getting dropped like he deserves us?

I agree no one should be immune to being dropped. But when Matic who’s been crap all season never gets the boot. I find it hard to argue the case with Pogba.

Fulham (bottom of the league) is exactly the kind of game where Pogba goes missing (along with many of our other players) and we lose.
We can beat the top 6, but the relegation fodder were/are teams we usually lose to.
I think last season, after beating MCFC, we lost the next game to the all conquering West Ham United!

So yeah....beating Fulham by scoring 4 goals, for the first time in a long time, is a big deal. And coincidentally, it happened with Pogba was not playing.
West Brom, I was there, it was a depressing day...

This isn't an either, or debate. Pogba hasn't played well for a while now, he deserves dropping. Just because you're the best player in theory doesn't give you the right to play every game. Better players than him have been dropped before and if you agree with it, it doesn't make you Graeme Souness.
I don't think it does. Oh the other hand I don't think anyone hates him and if they do its not much different to people being sad when we win cause they hate the manager so much.
I don't hate him at all, just have issues with his attitude sometimes.
He had 1 poor game against Southampton sure, but Matic has been tragically bad for months. It’s very frustrating that players seem to get treated differently whether they’re friendly with Mourinho or not.

I’m more concerned with getting Pogba back to his best, but it seems some would rather sell him. He’d walk into any top team when motivated or on best form.

Some people are so brain dead. Their hate for Pogba shines through as soon as they get a chance.

I genuinely think they’d rather us play badly than have him in the team.

I have no hate for Pogba. I would absolutely love it if he played our next game and completely bossed it, then went onto play every single match for the next 3 months and bossed those games, taking Player of the Month, every month. The problem is, Pogba isn't going to boss games and it seems that his motivation to play is low. When Pogba is highly motivated, the guy should be in a FIFA World XI. His problem is that he finds it difficult to get motivated to that level.

Fulham (bottom of the league) is exactly the kind of game where Pogba goes missing (along with many of our other players) and we lose.
We can beat the top 6, but the relegation fodder were/are teams we usually lose to.
I think last season, after beating MCFC, we lost the next game to the all conquering West Ham United!

So yeah....beating Fulham by scoring 4 goals, for the first time in a long time, is a big deal. And coincidentally, it happened with Pogba was not playing.

We don’t beat these teams because we seem to want to allow them to play football. This has nothing to do with Pogba. Our tactics and mind set was completely different for Fulham. Like it was different when we lost to Spurs. It doesn’t take a genius to see that. One game had Pogba one didn’t. It doesn’t mean he is the problem.

He had 1 poor game against Southampton sure, but Matic has been tragically bad for months. It’s very frustrating that players seem to get treated differently whether they’re friendly with Mourinho or not.

I’m more concerned with getting Pogba back to his best, but it seems some would rather sell him. He’d walk into any top team when motivated or on best form.
Why does Matić keeps being mentioned every time Pogba is discussed?
I mean everybody is aware he's been wank.

I have no hate for Pogba. I would absolutely love it if he played our next game and completely bossed it, then went onto play every single match for the next 3 months and bossed those games, taking Player of the Month, every month. The problem is, Pogba isn't going to boss games and it seems that his motivation to play is low. When Pogba is highly motivated, the guy should be in a FIFA World XI. His problem is that he finds it difficult to get motivated to that level.

Who does get motivated to that level? Martial has arguably been our best player but he’s not at that level everyweek. So simple question is. Why always Pogba?

Because he’s the best example of double standards. So when that is addressed we can have a real discussion about Paul Pogba.

Because perhaps it’s Matic that isn’t helping Pogba? If he had Herrera next to him like in the first season he would be fine. no surprises that since Matic joined it’s gone to shit.

Says the might team sitting mid table. Do you know how stupid we sound, that we can debate Paul Pogba getting dropped like he deserves us?

I agree no one should be immune to being dropped. But when Matic who’s been crap all season never gets the boot. I find it hard to argue the case with Pogba.
I agree with the Matic point but we were talking about Pogba. Pogba has the ability to affect the whole team with his ability, people look to him to do something when we're in trouble and when he's having a good day he'll flick the ball past someone and play a great forward pass, springing the team into a solid counter attack. He's the pivot between defence and attack. Yet when he can't be arsed, we can't get the ball out, our attacks turn to crap and he loses possession around the edge of the box for holding onto the ball too long.

Pogba's done nothing for us other than show that he's a fair weather player. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I think he has all the attributes to be a class act, similar to Zidane's level of ability but he has to start affecting games more in a positive way. It's nothing personal for most people on here but the club always comes before sentimental attachment to a player. I still can't get my head around the people on here who still wish Mkhitaryan and Sweinstiger well whenever they play...

Because perhaps it’s Matic that isn’t helping Pogba? If he had Herrera next to him like in the first season he would be fine. no surprises that since Matic joined it’s gone to shit.
Sorry but that's just an excuse. Matić played last year also and had a generally good season. Not only that in some games he did the work for 2.
Nobody can help you if you decide to coast through games. If anything he should look up to Ander.

Maybe Pogba isn't helping Matić? I mean, he's looked far better in last two games without Pogba. Plus saying that 'since Matić joined' is simply delusion, have you made nothing of last season?

I agree with the Matic point but we were talking about Pogba. Pogba has the ability to affect the whole team with his ability, people look to him to do something when we're in trouble and when he's having a good day he'll flick the ball past someone and play a great forward pass, springing the team into a solid counter attack. He's the pivot between defence and attack. Yet when he can't be arsed, we can't get the ball out, our attacks turn to crap and he loses possession around the edge of the box for holding onto the ball too long.

Pogba's done nothing for us other than show that he's a fair weather player. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I think he has all the attributes to be a class act, similar to Zidane's level of ability but he has to start affecting games more in a positive way. It's nothing personal for most people on here but the club always comes before sentimental attachment to a player. I still can't get my head around the people on here who still wish Mkhitaryan and Sweinstiger well whenever they play...

I don’t think it’s a sentiment, it’s more taking things into a bigger context. I always follow the club. Ronaldo is one of my favourite players ever. But the excitement wasn’t there for me as soon as he left us. Regardless I like you see Pogba as the nearest thing to Zidane football will see, but I can also see that the teams set up is not getting the best out of him. I understand players have to play for a team and last season was a good example of a player following orders. But you just watch him and like us fans he’s just bored of the negative set up. He’s said it enough times through the press. I don’t promote downtoolsing either, but he’s allowed one bad game mate.

Like Juventus even though we win, he had a crap game, I’m not going to through him under the bus for it, I could see the intent there. It seems like most we jump on the bandwagon because of the dressing room leaks. Which is a shame. If it wasn’t for that people would have just similar to Juve, said he had a shocker and moved on.

Maybe Pogba isn't helping Matić? I mean, he's looked far better in last two games without Pogba. Plus saying that 'since Matić joined' is simply delusion, have you made nothing of last season?

Again. Why didn’t we see this against Manchester City then. He had no Pogba and was rubbish. Matic is visibly too slow, takes too many touches and can’t distribute the ball over 30 yards.

We're not talking about Matic, we know he's been shit for a while but he has a limited job, Pogba is capable of doing much more than he ever will but he choses not to when it suits him. I'd rather sell him if this is how he continues, we've never seen the best of him and he loses value every year his contract runs down, and he will walk on a free (again), he's not fussed about that. We'd be better reinvesting in the squad, getting that lad from Lazio and another from the likes of Dortmund or Leipzig. Pogba is starting to become a myth.

I don’t think it’s a sentiment, it’s more taking things into a bigger context. I always follow the club. Ronaldo is one of my favourite players ever. But the excitement wasn’t there for me as soon as he left us. Regardless I like you see Pogba as the nearest thing to Zidane football will see, but I can also see that the teams set up is not getting the best out of him. I understand players have to play for a team and last season was a good example of a player following orders. But you just watch him and like us fans he’s just bored of the negative set up. He’s said it enough times through the press. I don’t promote downtoolsing either, but he’s allowed one bad game mate.

Like Juventus even though we win, he had a crap game, I’m not going to through him under the bus for it, I could see the intent there. It seems like most we jump on the bandwagon because of the dressing room leaks. Which is a shame. If it wasn’t for that people would have just similar to Juve, said he had a shocker and moved on.
Team setup not getting the best out Pogba? What about all the formation changes made trying to grt the best out of him?

Some of you just refuse to accept the reality that Pogba doesnt have the personality to carry a team. He does better when he has more talent around him and doesnt have to do the heavy lifting. His lackadaisical approach to the game is detrimental to the team.

We will not get more out of pogba until we have better players around him. We either recruit such players or sell Pogba while his value is still high.

I agree with absolutely everything you said here and share the sentiment. However, are we at the point now where we just sell him and reinvest in other midfielders that will fit the club better or do we fire Jose and get the next manager to build the team around him? What happens then if Pogba decides he doesn't like that setup either? My concern is that it's a dangerous game giving players what they want all the time, we'll end up like Chelsea.

Again. Why didn’t we see this against Manchester City then. He had no Pogba and was rubbish. Matic is visibly too slow, takes too many touches and can’t distribute the ball over 30 yards.
It’s en vogue to back average footballers and run the class ones outta town at United now. Jose is building the new Leicester.

I agree with absolutely everything you said here and share the sentiment. However, are we at the point now where we just sell him and reinvest in other midfielders that will fit the club better or do we fire Jose and get the next manager to build the team around him? What happens then if Pogba decides he doesn't like that setup either? My concern is that it's a dangerous game giving players what they want all the time, we'll end up like Chelsea.

That’s simple we just sell him. I like Pogba but I’m not going to pretend I’m not success bias. What I mean is, if a new manager comes in and we are doing well but Pogba still looks out of place and he believes for instance Eriksen will improve the team better than Pogba, we do that switch. The only evidence at the minute I have is, no top talent is playing good under Mourinho, so I’m going to ride it out on the other side of the fence until I’m provided with the alternative evidence. If I ever get it.

Team setup not getting the best out Pogba? What about all the formation changes made trying to grt the best out of him?

Some of you just refuse to accept the reality that Pogba doesnt have the personality to carry a team. He does better when he has more talent around him and doesnt have to do the heavy lifting. His lackadaisical approach to the game is detrimental to the team.

We will not get more out of pogba until we have better players around him. We either recruit such players or sell Pogba while his value is still high.

To put it simply. They way we set out to play, allow the opposition to have the ball, follow runners, attempt some sort of counter attacking football. Is not best for Pogba and many of our current crop of players. What this has to do with formations I don’t know. He’s not lacksidasical at all. But yes he’s not going to dictate possession and he’s not going to be our most creative output ala Mata. But with the right balance he is the midfielder that can be a catalyst to amazing football, we just need to let these players off the leash.

It's impossible to evaluate player on the caf, unless you run a diary of each game, report like. One bad game means a player 'has been wank recently'. String of bad games in one season means he's been poor forever. The fact is Matić has been good last season - v.good in the first half of the season, ok-ish in the second. This season he's been terrible most of the time, though, and Pogba stinking up the place doesn't excuse him. Think it's Mourinho's fault, given how he overworks his key players.

One excuse I've got for Matić is that he's played all the time last season, went to World Cup, came back with an injury and, after the surgery, straight back into the team. Still, the basic moves he fecks up can't be explained with that.

It's impossible to evaluate player on the caf, unless you run a diary of each game, report like. One bad game means a player 'has been wank recently'. String of bad games in one season means he's been poor forever. The fact is Matić has been good last season - v.good in the first half of the season, ok-ish in the second. This season he's been terrible most of the time, though, and Pogba stinking up the place doesn't excuse him. Think it's Mourinho's fault, given how he overworks his key players.

One excuse I've got for Matić is that he's played all the time last season, went to World Cup, came back with an injury and, after the surgery, straight back into the team. Still, the basic moves he fecks up can't be explained with that.

Here we both can agree because for me (and probably most of the people here) he long should have been benched, given a rest, sent on a vacation, don't know, don't care.

Aren't you one of those laughing off the Fulham game as a barometer for playing better/worse with/without Pogba whereas you're doing the exactly same thing but against the best team in the league who dominated us completely? Pogba is losing the ball to much, takes too many touches and doesn't release the ball and is positionally awful. Two can play that game by the looks of it. I'd love to come back to that analysis in iirc Mou's first season when we lost to City and Carragher was doing analysis of Pogba's non-existent positioning, leaving Fellaini alone in the midfield.

You are again assuming that we are looking at only one bad game. He is a midfield player, he has to contribute in many aspects of the same and he is our talisman. The lacklustre and dispirited performance on a football pitch from him is influencing everybody on the pitch. He does possess magic, I agree. He has the most potential in all our players. But he doesnt try hard on the pitch.
Even when we had technically less gifted players in the middle during SAF era, they would give their best on the pitch. With Pogba it is very clear that he is not willing to give his half, let alone while in a game. Occasional super passes doesn't mean anything, when he gives the ball away trying to run around past everybody in slow motion. He might be showing age, but when that doesn't work a few times, he should try a different tactic, or play like his coach asks.
No player is above United, no matter his star value. If he doesn't want to earn his buck by giving his best possible, then I would rather he stay on the bench.

You are again assuming that we are looking at only one bad game. He is a midfield player, he has to contribute in many aspects of the same and he is our talisman. The lacklustre and dispirited performance on a football pitch from him is influencing everybody on the pitch. He does possess magic, I agree. He has the most potential in all our players. But he doesnt try hard on the pitch.
Even when we had technically less gifted players in the middle during SAF era, they would give their best on the pitch. With Pogba it is very clear that he is not willing to give his half, let alone while in a game. Occasional super passes doesn't mean anything, when he gives the ball away trying to run around past everybody in slow motion. He might be showing age, but when that doesn't work a few times, he should try a different tactic, or play like his coach asks.
No player is above United, no matter his star value. If he doesn't want to earn his buck by giving his best possible, then I would rather he stay on the bench.

Sounded very emotional I will give you that. But I don’t understand your point. You see you say he effects people around him. Is that your own opinion or that from the leaked Mourinho’s words?
Technically less gifted players? SAF entire United career was built on allowing special players to play. Cantona; Giggs; Veron; Yorke; Ronaldo. I don’t remember people questioning Cantona because he wasn’t running round slide tackling everyone. I don’t watch football to see hardwork making up for a lack of talent. Regardless are players are the lowest running team for a reason... no one except for Rashford and Herrera press.

Here we both can agree because for me (and probably most of the people here) he long should have been benched, given a rest, sent on a vacation, don't know, don't care.
Should be used sparingly like Carrick was in his later seasons. Mourinho's reasoning will be that we don't have any responsible midfielder (on paper) who will sit back and don't get too excited.

Should be used sparingly like Carrick was in his later seasons. Mourinho's reasoning will be that we don't have any responsible midfielder (on paper) who will sit back and don't get too excited.

Yup, I think that he's doing the same mistake as with Ivanović, just overplaying him when he needs to rest to get his shit together, and feel that this stubbornness is going to cost him dearly in the end.

Aren't you one of those laughing off the Fulham game as a barometer for playing better/worse with/without Pogba whereas you're doing the exactly same thing but against the best team in the league who dominated us completely? Pogba is losing the ball to much, takes too many touches and doesn't release the ball and is positionally awful. Two can play that game by the looks of it. I'd love to come back to that analysis in iirc Mou's first season when we lost to City and Carragher was doing analysis of Pogba's non-existent positioning, leaving Fellaini alone in the midfield.

Can Matic, Fellaini or McTomminay set up the goal for Rashford against Bournemouth like Pogba did? Set up the goal for Mbappe like Pogba did in the ‘world cup final’. If they can, whatever you said above me. I agree with it all. If not, let’s not debate this any further as we both have a different principle on what are the key factors of being a world class premier league side.

Can Matic, Fellaini or McTomminay set up the goal for Rashford against Bournemouth like Pogba did? Set up the goal for Mbappe like Pogba did in the ‘world cup final’. If they can, whatever you said above me. I agree with it all. If not, let’s not debate this any further as we both have a different principle on what are the key factors of being a world class premier league side.

No, it's not that we have 'different principles' on anything, it's either you don't or don't want to understand the difference in their roles in our side. Neither will hit the pass Pogba can and Pogba cannot bring the same traits that they do (as in Fellaini/Matić, I'm discarding McTomminay from this discussion as I cannot advocate not playing him). If you're making an argument that that Matić is slowing Pogba down, then Pogba is leaving Matić exposed in the midfield, it's really that simple.

No, it's not that we have 'different principles' on anything, it's either you don't or don't want to understand the difference in their roles in our side. Neither will hit the pass Pogba can and Pogba cannot bring the same traits that they do (as in Fellaini/Matić, I'm discarding McTomminay from this discussion as I cannot advocate not playing him). If you're making an argument that that Matić is slowing Pogba down, then Pogba is leaving Matić exposed in the midfield, it's really that simple.

Peps managed to get KDB, Fernandinho and David Silva to play with no defensive worries. Whilst Eriksen when fit plays with no defensive worries. So why is it always a problem with Pogba. Again. This goes back to playing style and tactics. Juve got the show pony to look good too.

Peps managed to get KDB, Fernandinho and David Silva to play with no defensive worries. Whilst Eriksen when fit plays with no defensive worries. So why is it always a problem with Pogba. Again. This goes back to playing style and tactics. Juve got the show pony to look good too.

Both are incorrect.

You do realise that the pressing they do is still a 'defensive worry'? Nevermind Fernandinho being their CDM.

Sounded very emotional I will give you that. But I don’t understand your point. You see you say he effects people around him. Is that your own opinion or that from the leaked Mourinho’s words?
Technically less gifted players? SAF entire United career was built on allowing special players to play. Cantona; Giggs; Veron; Yorke; Ronaldo. I don’t remember people questioning Cantona because he wasn’t running round slide tackling everyone. I don’t watch football to see hardwork making up for a lack of talent. Regardless are players are the lowest running team for a reason... no one except for Rashford and Herrera press.
I'm sorry if it was misleading, I meant even when we had payers poorer in technical ability as CMs, ( fletcher, park, Carrick just to name a few compared to pogba). If a midfielder isnt going chase players to tackle then who will? Just to watch a magnificent pass for the entirety of game I have to go through his performance for the whole game as he is having, I would rather find YouTube clips more interesting. I don't care if he could score 20 goals a season or get 30 assists in the future per season, at the moment he is detremendet to the team IMO. And this is my own observation of a game. Over the last month, games in which he was involved, we were not showing enough drive for a united team as I have come to expect. Bur it was different in the last two games. There was more intensity in our game. If Matic is doing bad then why isn't Pogba doing more to compensate if he is the second coming of Zidane. Is that excuse to do even worse, that Matic is poor, so will I. We dint buy Matic at 100 million, he wasn't here to lead the team to glory.
Do you think such a glory hungry manager like Mourinho would rather loose a game by benching Pogba than when he played and won. He is being benched as an answer to the annoying performances Pogba has been having. If you don't see it that way or agree that to be the case that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I disagree. Mourinho is expecting Pogba to not only be the main creative force but to also dictate the game, all while being positionally disciplined. I think it's too much to ask of him despite his talent when he's got an immobile player alongside him.

Pogba can play in a two man midfield and well, we just don't have the right one playing. His talent has been stifled by the manager, you only have to look at the highlights of his first season to see how different he is with freedom and confidence.

It doesn't help when you also consider the players like De Bruyne and Salah that José has frozen out to see that he has a problem coaching and managing a particular type of technical player, and I think many of us see the same thing happening within our club

Similar to how Kovacic would leave Jorginho exposed in the Chelsea midfield...if they didn't also have the workhorse Kante in there (Herrera). I don't know how to look it up, but I don't think we've played Matic Herrera Pogba together much at all in the past 2 seasons, which is quite obviously our most balanced and experienced midfield.

Jorginho, every bit the defensive liability Matic is if not more and Kovacic not known for his tracking, play in a team that attacks and stays generally on the opponents side of the field (things it should be reminded that we've all called for). They have a +20 goal differential and have conceded something like 13 fewer goals than we have in their manager's first few months on the job.

So let's forget Pogba for a second (Jose wouldn't want us to!) and focus our energy on the man who is consistently setting us up with something other than the most ideal midfield trio we have in this team. Why, when all three are healthy, are we not seeing more of this and making an effort to keep the ball and play it on the ground as any top club would pride itself on doing?

He looked good at Juve because he wasn't their best midfield player and had an awesome defence and goalkeeper behind him.

When Pep first went into City, the balance of players wasn't right and didn't allow him to play how he wanted. Now he has a midfield that is one of the best out there because of how the team set up and because they are so strong in other areas.

Look at Liverpool at the moment. Their weakest area on paper is their midfield, but it works because of the balance of players. One holding (Fabinho or Henderson), two box to box types that will work their socks off (any two out of Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita)

Allows the front 3 to be the main attacking and creative threat.

Pogba just throws that balance off for United at the moment.

Reactions: Invictus
He looked good at Juve because he wasn't their best midfield player and had an awesome defence and goalkeeper behind him.

When Pep first went into City, the balance of players wasn't right and didn't allow him to play how he wanted. Now he has a midfield that is one of the best out there because of how the team set up and because they are so strong in other areas.

Look at Liverpool at the moment. Their weakest area on paper is their midfield, but it works because of the balance of players. One holding (Fabinho or Henderson), two box to box types that will work their socks off (any two out of Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita)

Allows the front 3 to be the main attacking and creative threat.

Pogba just throws that balance off for United at the moment.
If you're saying Pogba is the one throwing off the balance, then can you show us how many times Pogba Matic Herrera have played together and some results/stats to back up any issues Pogba has brought to the trio?

Mourinho's turn fans against Pogba campaign is working with some I see. Hopefully Paul hangs on in there, we'll hopefully have a proper manager soon.