Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Overall standard of the league seems lower last few years - exacerbated by covid no doubt - but money is everything long term and some of the lower places LL teams operate on comparative peanuts. Appreciate Barca are also not where they were but I feel they’ve actually got an awesome young team coming through and Depay will get a lot of chances.
But it hasnt really resulted in players scoring considerably more than before. And actually, Atletico/Real/Barca havent been that dominant. They struggle with quite a big bulk of the teams, maybe because they arent as good as they once were but also because it just isnt that easy to play La Liga teams.

Lowest scoring of the top 5 leagues actually

It's an unbalanced league more than a high scoring one. Get the team right and it's easy to score 100+ goals in La Liga. In England that's happened 4 times in PL history. Barcelona alone have done it 8 times. Meanwhile the rest of the league outside the top 3 scrap around for 40 or 50 goals if they're lucky. There's plenty of cannon fodder for Depay if Barcelona get their team setup even half right.

I hope Barce will be able to register him and he goes on to be a huge success. Good to see him doing well in friendlies already.

It's an unbalanced league more than a high scoring one. Get the team right and it's easy to score 100+ goals in La Liga. In England that's happened 4 times in PL history. Barcelona alone have done it 8 times. Meanwhile the rest of the league outside the top 3 scrap around for 40 or 50 goals if they're lucky. There's plenty of cannon fodder for Depay if Barcelona get their team setup even half right.
Over the last 2 seasons it's been the lowest scoring of the top leagues, with only Messi's team cracking 80 goals.

Get the team right and it's easy to score 100 goals in any (38 games) league these days. City did it more recently than anyone in Spain - twice

Shows why i never rated La Liga.
Memphis bosing it like he is world class.

Average to poor players scoring double against a team that vs the 5th best in the league last year.

Such a lopsided league, always was always is. An easy league always has its benefits in terms of tiredness and confidence when having to focus on the CL once every two weeks aswell.

Still better than all our strikers going into the upcoming season. Greenwood may reach Memphis's level one day but it's certainly not the case now. Rashford can't play as a striker, and Cavani in his ancient, dusty version is good for a few big games if we're lucky. The CF position has been grim for us since Zlatan was here.
You alright mate? I think you’ve had enough.

Average to poor players scoring double against a team that vs the 5th best in the league last year.

Such a lopsided league, always was always is. An easy league always has its benefits in terms of tiredness and confidence when having to focus on the CL once every two weeks aswell.
Didn't the team that finished 7th in La Liga last year beat us in the EL final and take Chelsea to pens in the Supercup.

Your post makes no sense and reeks of someone who doesn't even watch the Spanish league.

Unsurprising, really. He is quite a good player. He scores and assists at a pretty strong rate, and in a Messi-less Koeman side, he’s going to be the main man.

Didn't the team that finished 7th in La Liga last year beat us in the EL final and take Chelsea to pens in the Supercup.

Your post makes no sense and reeks of someone who doesn't even watch the Spanish league.

Penalties, De Gea vs Penalties, Kepa.

Unsurprising, really. He is quite a good player. He scores and assists at a pretty strong rate, and in a Messi-less Koeman side, he’s going to be the main man.

Especially with Koeman as a trainer, who knows him very good from his time as the manager of The Netherlands. Depay is a 'dividing' figure here in our country for some pundits/media. Some criticize him for being 'flashy' outside of football and making rap video's, which caused him to create some 'resentment' against the 'media'. Very curious how he will impact this team. He has shown at Lyon that he is able to score 20 goals in a season. However La Liga is a bigger challenge, especially with the pressure of a club like Barcelona.

great game, he has been a different player last years, specially in lyon. i hope he continues at this level.

hahahahaha.

internet is great because you can read comments like this one.

funny guy.

Watching Barcelona with the likes of Depay starting is actually quite satisfying. Surely after years of success decline was around the corner. Will probably still be good enough to fight for the title considering Real is in decline too and Athletico never too strong to win it singlehandedly and other teams just not good enough, but in the champions league teams shouldn't be afraid all that much like in previous years, absolutely playable team on the level of Chelsea now - which paradoxically managed to win CL as underdogs few times in recent years but that dominance is over and makes it a bit more unpredictable in Europe which is always good and especially for United which are on the upward spiral..

really don't care what he does at Barca' he was absolute crap here. One of the biggest flops we've had taking into account the rep and the fee. Daniel James does more than he did and thats saying something. :)

I might not say great but never on the caf though, always these ridiculous takes to try and discredit him.

Why? Many on caf rate Salah, Mane, whole Liverpool team, City team, even Grealish when he was with Villa and now few say he is the best in the league. When that's the case, why won't Depay get the credit?

I mean for all players there will be doubters, forget players like Depay, even for Messi there are few doubters just because he didn't follow the exact road map these guys drew.

He was superb last night. Great to watch.

That was gorgeous. Shame he was fouled. His slick creativity that set up the 3rd goal was really nice too.

I thought he might take some time to adapt, looks like he is doing very well already.

Why? Many on caf rate Salah, Mane, whole Liverpool team, City team, even Grealish when he was with Villa and now few say he is the best in the league. When that's the case, why won't Depay get the credit?

I mean for all players there will be doubters, forget players like Depay, even for Messi there are few doubters just because he didn't follow the exact road map these guys drew.
None of them played at United and had a horrible career here. That has really tinted a lot of posters view regarding him, on top of that, he's also very extravagant ofcourse and immediately improved when he left the Prem.

really don't care what he does at Barca' he was absolute crap here. One of the biggest flops we've had taking into account the rep and the fee. Daniel James does more than he did and thats saying something. :)

So whats your point here exactly? You wont rate him forever no matter what he does after United? You will continue to hate him for the rest of your life?

Somehow you do care, as if you were totally indifferent you wouldnt have opened this topic?

I guess if we decide not to play in the Super league we will not get past the group stages. What are your other intelligent thoughts?

I get it is funny to make fun of Barcelona but I don't rate United a lot when it comes to UCL so I don't get this upward spiral thing but let's wait and see what Barcelona is up to, they were already embarrassing themselves with Messi in the team so not sure if they can drop further. I also think Depay is an ok signing for them.

I guess if we decide not to play in the Super league we will not get past the group stages. What are your other intelligent thoughts?

he’s right though in fairness, an “upward spiral” with nothing to show for it if we are being honest. I mean at least get past the group stage of CL.

Having said that, Europe is more unpredictable and that is a good thing

he’s right though in fairness, an “upward spiral” with nothing to show for it if we are being honest. I mean at least get past the group stage of CL.

Having said that, Europe is more unpredictable and that is a good thing
I guess that's one way of looking at the sharp and spiralling decline of La Liga

Possibly the most asinine statement about a league you obviously don’t even watch.

Quit belly-aching.

He fits in really well in barcelona. I am happy for him. He is 27 and is at his prime right now. Koeman obviously knows how to get the best out of him.

I guess that's one way of looking at the sharp and spiralling decline of La Liga

la liga had a far more interesting title race than any they league last season where the title race is over a month before the season is.

la liga isn’t as good at the top as it used to be but in turn that has made it more competitive as opposed to how it was in 2012.

Last edited:
As good a start as he could have gotten off to. I’m glad for him, and I hope he’s a success over there.