McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Neres = AM. Not good news for those wanting to sell McTominay.

No one's paying more than £30m-40m for McTominay.

I think he could easily get 10+ goals a season if played regularly in a free role behind the striker. If you disagree fair enough.
No one is paying more than £20m for McTomminey, that much is sadly evident. In his ‘banner’ season he only managed 7 goals in the Premiership, never remotely looked like getting even that many before and no saying he will even match that this season.

Obviously, McT is not a starter and is a useful squad player. When we are chasing game he could be the hybrid of 8 and 10 to create chaos on the opponent half. His finishing is good for a midfielder which was proven last season. His basic midfield play is average and good enough for a squad player.

Look, he is not the starting midfielder, we should get better midfielders as the first 11, no doubts. The point is he is a useful players and is worth more than 20 mil. We will need him along the season. We should only sell if we get reasonable offer in the 25-30 mil range.

I’d much rather we just learned to play fluid attacking football as a team. Relying on technically poor squad players to come on and create chaos because we have to chase games is exactly what we should be moving away from, and as such McTominay should be moved on.

David Neres = AM. Not good news for those wanting to sell McTominay.

He's been a right winger most of his career, highly doubt he's being brought in as a 10 for Conte all of a sudden.

Likely gonna pair with Kvara on the wings with Lukaku up top

Quite clearly a pseudo "box to box" midfielder on a shit team. He's not going to contribute anything to general play but can be useful for scrappy teams as box threat from midfield. Difficult to value that though because the rest of the time he's not scoring he's mostly a net negative. I mean the below is just pathetic. He's not even useful as a squad player for us, he's basically a good "chuck of the dice" late in chaotic games, but if we want to elevate as a team/club then our #1 option for getting another goal later in games shouldn't be "let's turn this into chaos and see if Scott can bag one".

7fec13eaf16bb427fdbfc45c7c1b272e.png

I think you've just highlighted why his best position would be in a free role as a goal scoring midfielder mate. He is indeed shit in central midfield, I'd agree.

No one is paying more than £20m for McTomminey, that much is sadly evident. In his ‘banner’ season he only managed 7 goals in the Premiership, never remotely looked like getting even that many before and no saying he will even match that this season.

Perhaps not we'll know in a few weeks.

Lads, don’t blame me but had a dream last night, Mctominay scored v Brighton and he stays with us.

I do agree that if you take out the goals, McTominay's all-round game was better when playing deeper than he is at #10.

However even then it ended up with Fred having to do far more than he should have to compensate for Scott's deficiencies. Scott, despite the narrative, has never been a particularly hard worker. He has had individual games where he's been an absolute workhorse, but over the course of a season his workrate is no better than your average central midfielder in the PL. It's just that he was being compared to Pogba and Matic (both well below average in workrate) that he became a 'hard worker' in peoples eyes, and comparable to Fred despite the Brazilian actually doing far, far more work both defensively and on the ball.
Very good point and a very important factor when talking about the Manchester United midfield. Some posters on here compare our players only to other players that play for us and derive their quality based on that. But that is very flawed in my eyes. Hence why I am so in favor in adding somebody who is very good in the defensive aspects of the game. We've seen people celebrate Amrabat for pretty standard stuff - he simply looked capable in comparison to last years Casemiro edition (that sucked), to Mctominay (...), to Eriksen (who is a defensive non-factor at this stage), to Mainoo (who is decent but not extraordinare (yet?) ) and to Bruno - an attacking midfielder who is very busy but still not crazy productive in terms of defensive aspects. Stats allow us to compare our players to players from different teams - not against our own ones. Especially as long as we know that our bunch hasn't been able to form a really capable midfield unit since I don't know how many years (a few short periods during the Matic-Pogba-Herrera times or McFred aside)

I think you've just highlighted why his best position would be in a free role as a goal scoring midfielder mate. He is indeed shit in central midfield, I'd agree.
But he’s not good enough in the position you just described in order for a team to basically build around him and give him a “free” role. He’s not some 15-20 goals a year type player. He hit his career high with just 10 last year.

I’d much rather we just learned to play fluid attacking football as a team. Relying on technically poor squad players to come on and create chaos because we have to chase games is exactly what we should be moving away from, and as such McTominay should be moved on.
In ideal scenario, yes. But we need to have plan B. This is the reality!

We have been deprived of serious quality in midfield for such a long time that people have forgotten what a proper midfielder looks like.

We play with 10 men when he is on the pitch. We will never move forward as a team with him. Not even as an impact sub. We need to have backup players who can contribute in the same way the first teamers do.

He would have been shipped off a lot earlier if he wasn’t an academy player.

We have been deprived of serious quality in midfield for such a long time that people have forgotten what a proper midfielder looks like.

We play with 10 men when he is on the pitch. We will never move forward as a team with him. Not even as an impact sub. We need to have backup players who can contribute in the same way the first teamers do.

He would have been shipped off a lot earlier if he wasn’t an academy player.
Preach.

Not sure why everyone keeps saying McTominay only has a year on his contract when the club have the option for a further year which will almost certainly be triggered.

Much like Lindelof, Malacia, Casemiro, Eriksen and Sancho we’ll see McTominay moved on next summer and the likes of Amass, Collyer, the Fletcher’s and Lacey phased into the squad and a couple of experienced players also come in.

We were never going to move all the deadwood on this summer but we’ve done a pretty good job of incomings and outgoings whilst staying within FFP/PSR and navigating through the mess the old regime had put us in financially.

we’d rather sell
United would be selling him seeing as they’ll activate his extra year, they wouldn’t be turning down offers this summer if they were going to let him leave on a free next summer and I think of that group only Eriksen would be out of contract next summer.

James Horncastle said on the Totally European pod that he can't see Napoli selling Osimhen, which is basically their main bulk of transfer budget. As a result, he thinks Lukaku will be the only deal they will look to do without selling Osimhen. However, if they can shift him, Gilmour and McTominay could go there but would all come down to timings.

James Horncastle said on the Totally European pod that he can't see Napoli selling Osimhen, which is basically their main bulk of transfer budget. As a result, he thinks Lukaku will be the only deal they will look to do without selling Osimhen. However, if they can shift him, Gilmour and McTominay could go there but would all come down to timings.
I think some of these journos have become overly focused on their image rather than putting in the hard yards. Napoli have (admittedly according to Transfermarket) dropped 75m euros this summer on neres, the tornino cb and a real madrid cb whilst incomings are barely over 10m euros. Osimhen isn’t going to stay and play with Lukaku.

But he’s not good enough in the position you just described in order for a team to basically build around him and give him a “free” role. He’s not some 15-20 goals a year type player. He hit his career high with just 10 last year.

He probably would be for some team.

For the record I said it was his best position. As in the position you would get the best out of him.

As we seen last season, which was probably the first season he was played fairly consistently in a more attacking role.

I don't know why Fulham would want McTominay anyway. They had exactly the same average possession as United last season (slightly more of the ball than there opponents) and it's clear he's not good enough or comfortable enough receiving the ball to play in midfield, and aside from being a decent finisher he's no #10 or second-striker either.

His only real fit IMO would be in a B2B role in a team that has low possession like a Palace or Forest, he's not going to be receiving the ball regularly enough that his overall ability becomes the level of problem it has at United, and he can both be a physical presence in midfield and chip in with some vital goals.

I think some of these journos have become overly focused on their image rather than putting in the hard yards. Napoli have (admittedly according to Transfermarket) dropped 75m euros this summer on neres, the tornino cb and a real madrid cb whilst incomings are barely over 10m euros. Osimhen isn’t going to stay and play with Lukaku.

James Horncastle is one of the most trusted journos on Serie A. And while it is still just his opinion, I'd value it far more than a lot of those covering stories that are based in the UK. And what he was alluding to had nothing to do with what they have already done. They want to bring in Lukaku, McT and Gilmour. The bulk of what they can afford to do, is tied up in Osimhen, hence why the can't look to sign all three right now. And he said he hasn't heard anything reliable that there will be any transfer movement for Osimhen in the next week. Which is what would be needed and quickly as it will be a huge transfer.

Not saying it won't and neither did he, it was just his opinion it's probably too late in the window and if it doesn't happen it impacts three or four other signings in a domino effect.

I don't know why Fulham would want McTominay anyway. They had exactly the same average possession as United last season (slightly more of the ball than there opponents) and it's clear he's not good enough or comfortable enough receiving the ball to play in midfield, and aside from being a decent finisher he's no #10 or second-striker either.

His only real fit IMO would be in a B2B role in a team that has low possession like a Palace or Forest, he's not going to be receiving the ball regularly enough that his overall ability becomes the level of problem it has at United, and he can both be a physical presence in midfield and chip in with some vital goals.

Indeed. As a midfielder he doesn't have the talent to do anything required for a remotely progressive style of play. His only redeeming feature is his ability in the opponents box, but I don't think a few goals a season is worth the handicap of having him in midfield. He's an incredibly average player.

He probably would be for some team.

For the record I said it was his best position. As in the position you would get the best out of him.

As we seen last season, which was probably the first season he was played fairly consistently in a more attacking role.

Sure, but the initial discussion started from people asking why he's not worth 30m or whatever while others arguing he is. My point is a player with that niche of a role and going into his final year on a contract will be hard pressed to get teams to stump up a solid fee for him.

Quite clearly a pseudo "box to box" midfielder on a shit team. He's not going to contribute anything to general play but can be useful for scrappy teams as box threat from midfield. Difficult to value that though because the rest of the time he's not scoring he's mostly a net negative. I mean the below is just pathetic. He's not even useful as a squad player for us, he's basically a good "chuck of the dice" late in chaotic games, but if we want to elevate as a team/club then our #1 option for getting another goal later in games shouldn't be "let's turn this into chaos and see if Scott can bag one".

7fec13eaf16bb427fdbfc45c7c1b272e.png

feck sake. Delete this quick before other clubs see it.

Why you have to do that to my boy.

Sure, but the initial discussion started from people asking why he's not worth 30m or whatever while others arguing he is. My point is a player with that niche of a role and going into his final year on a contract will be hard pressed to get teams to stump up a solid fee for him.

Well at the end of the day he'll only be worth what someone pays for him. So let's see how that goes, if he does go.

This man will survive anything. The mere fact that he has lasted for so long, and will continue to be here, is just... pfff.

Status
Not open for further replies.