McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not his job to make United’s accounts better.
Sure, but its the club's job to make sure it runs well, and sell players for a good fee rather than letting them leave for free, as that will hamper incoming signings as well.

I support Man Utd, not McTominay. I dont blame McT, I blame the club for not dealing with the situation better.

Still time to sell him, mind you.

If we activate the +1, we will also have to pay him off, taking our profits down to ~10M.

This is why I have been so vocal about selling McT. It has a direct correlation to us being able to buy a #6, exactly as I feared.

How many in the "happy to keep him in the squad" are okay with him if that blocks us from getting Ugarte?

It's been reported by far more reliable reporters that signing Ugarte is not contingent on McTominay leaving. Also, latest reports suggest we're going the Loan with obligation to buy route for Ugarte.

Napoli will end up getting him. With Whitwell reporting that the Napoli director is in the UK now negotiating with McT and United, can't see it not getting done.

Conte would love him.
He probably refused Fulham for Napoli, hence why they went for Berge. Even though I personally think Berge and Mctominay would go together nicely in Fulham's team.
The hope is that him rejecting Fulham doesn't weaken our position against Napoli.

McTominay would be a mid-table superstar for 8 teams in the PL that would build their sides around him. It's nuts that he's still at United when he really should have been sold 3-4 years ago.

Conte should be given a life time ticket for taking both lukaku and Scotty off our hands.

Last edited:
Again I don't want to lose him. Perfect squad player. This will be like selling Chris Smalling.

Napoli will end up getting him. With Whitwell reporting that the Napoli director is in the UK now negotiating with McT and United, can't see it not getting done.

There's something a little magical about seeing our big boy in a Napoli jersey even after two decades of Bosman transfers. I'd probably buy that one !

Fashion aside we're probably not getting as much a fee but what can you do ? McT wants to fly, I'd rather be a tall handsome Scot millionaire in Napoli too, even with the solar cream budget.

It's been reported by far more reliable reporters that signing Ugarte is not contingent on McTominay leaving. Also, latest reports suggest we're going the Loan with obligation to buy route for Ugarte.

true but he might be the reason why we're not getting a LB. We're really running out of juice at this point and every penny helps

Can’t help but think McTominay will be taking inspiration from Maguire last season. Being pushed out by the club, stood his ground and ended up an important player for us over the course of the season and still here starting matches despite there being new signings in his position.

We need a big squad with different toolsets because it’s a long season and we know what our injuries are like. I think we are right to put a value on his head and stick to it because he can give us that value over a season.

I don’t think it will stop us signing Ugarte though.

Sure, but its the club's job to make sure it runs well, and sell players for a good fee rather than letting them leave for free, as that will hamper incoming signings as well.

I support Man Utd, not McTominay. I dont blame McT, I blame the club for not dealing with the situation better.

We literally just did this with AWB, and got what we wanted.

McTominay would be a mid-table superstar for 8 teams in the PL that would build their sides around him. It's nuts that he's still at United when he really should have been sold 3-4 years ago.

funny that, thats why theres a queue for him .. i think they realise just how much of a luxury player he is.

I don’t get why players should sacrifice their earnings for a club who themselves would show no loyalty if their performances fall off.

I am the biggest United fan but if I were in McTominay’s position I would also look to run down my contract and get a signing bonus. It’s not his job to make United’s accounts better.
That is the thing. Player does what is best for him BUT club must do what is best for the club.
Club must start being ruthless towards players. "You go or you will not play" approach.

And funny enough; many posters here are against harsh treatment towards players ("we are not Chelsea or Real") but i didn't see same sentiment when club said that 250 employees (who are only on 2k per month) will be fired.

true but he might be the reason why we're not getting a LB. We're really running out of juice at this point and every penny helps
Whitwell posted today that a new LB is off the table. I think if we do manage to shift McTominay and Eriksen, it's more likely we'll get a 2nd CM.

If a player refuse to leave then he is not leaving. It's as simple as that. It's evident that we've got a bunch of players who are determined to leave on free next summer. The typical modern player puts his own interest first. I hope united learns from it and they start doing the same

If a player refuse to leave then he is not leaving. It's as simple as that. It's evident that we've got a bunch of players who are determined to leave on free next summer. The typical modern player puts his own interest first. I hope united learns from it and they start doing the same
I don't want to overly romanticise McTominay but in his case... He just might like it here ? Rather be a squire at Utd than a knight at Fulham ?

I don't want to overly romanticise McTominay but in his case... He just might like it here ? Rather be a squire at Utd than a knight at Fulham ?

Of course he likes it here same as all those players who refuse to leave and will be free agents next season

Of course he likes it here same as all those players who refuse to leave and will be free agents next season
By all accounts he's at the bottom third of the pile at United and on wages he could conceivably get elsewhere. I really don't think the greedy freeloader meme applies to him.

Which move did he reject?
Fulham, reportedly, though I don't know if it is from credible sources.

Which move did he reject?

There are rumours that he was reluctant to move to Fulham. However that's unimportant at this point. The modern player will always put his interest first. We should start doing the same

By all accounts he's at the bottom third of the pile at United and on wages he could conceivably get elsewhere. I really don't think the greedy freeloader meme applies to him.

Tosin got 120k a week because he moved as a free agent. That's huge money for a squad member material

funny that, thats why theres a queue for him .. i think they realise just how much of a luxury player he is.

He's perfect for a lot of teams. Give him 40 games a year, let him roam about and make runs and he'll get you 10-20 goals every season no problem.

There are rumours that he was reluctant to move to Fulham. However that's unimportant at this point. The modern player will always put his interest first. We should start doing the same

There are literally no credible reports suggesting he rejected Fulham.
And it's not "unimportant" - you have basically just assumed McTominay's preferences and interest from a frankly lazy assumption.

There are literally no credible reports suggesting he rejected Fulham.
And it's not "unimportant" - you have basically just assumed McTominay's preferences and interest from a frankly lazy assumption.

Few players want to leave manutd. Phil nev didn't want to leave but he left because his time was up. Those sticking to the club despite having 1 year left on their contract are doing so for financial reasons. They know that united will either trigger the 1 year clause and they'll get a piece of the pie or they will walk as free agents and get the money themselves

Few players want to leave manutd. Phil nev didn't want to leave but he left because his time was up. Those sticking to the club despite having 1 year left on their contract are doing so for financial reasons. They know that united will either trigger the 1 year clause and they'll get a piece of the pie or they will walk as free agents and get the money themselves
Many players also leave Manchester United when they know they wont get their playing time.

You are basically making up that McTominay rejected Fulham.

There are rumours thats because Napoli are interested

Many players also leave Manchester United when they know they wont get their playing time.

You are basically making up that McTominay rejected Fulham.

It doesn't seem the case with most of our current players. Most seem quite happy to run their contract down

There are rumours thats because Napoli are interested

Maybe. The same is being said about galatasaaray. Neither club seem to have the money to buy him though so he will probably stay here and leave for a free

Again I don't want to lose him. Perfect squad player. This will be like selling Chris Smalling.
He's kind of the exact opposite of Smalling in a way. Smalling was strong at the basics and most important aspects for a defender, it's just that he struggled at some of the extras that are nice to have (ball-playing ability basically). Meanwhile Scott struggles at the basics and most important aspects for a midfielder, but is strong at some of the extra things that are nice to have.

It doesn't seem the case with most of our current players. Most seem quite happy to run their contract down
Again this is just made-up. Probably because Lindelof is staying.

Mejbri wants to leave for playing time.
Pellistri will leave for playing time (6m eur fee)
Kambwala left for playing time (8m eur fee)
Will Fish will leave for playing time.

McTominay by all accounts has not shown an unwillingness to go if United accepted a fee for him (which we have not done).

Maguire still has value as a 3rd/4th choice CB. Martial's deal expired but there was also no market for him.

Maybe. The same is being said about galatasaaray. Neither club seem to have the money to buy him though so he will probably stay here and leave for a free

Its been reported Osimhen will be sold and they will use some of the funds to purchase McTominay. Their DoF spoke about McTominay and Gilmor just the other day

Again this is just made-up. Probably because Lindelof is staying.

Mejbri wants to leave for playing time.
Pellistri will leave for playing time (6m eur fee)
Kambwala left for playing time (8m eur fee)
Will Fish will leave for playing time.

McTominay by all accounts has not shown an unwillingness to go if United accepted a fee for him (which we have not done).

Maguire still has value as a 3rd/4th choice CB. Martial's deal expired but there was also no market for him.

Varane and martial left as free agents, Awb left with his pound of flesh, McT will either leave on his terms or he will run his contract down, lindelof will probably leave on a fre, same with casemiro.

Varane and martial left as free agents, Awb left with his pound of flesh, McT will either leave on his terms or he will run his contract down, lindelof will probably leave on a fre, same with casemiro.
There was no market for Varane and Martial. Also, Varane was of value to us , we wanted to sell Maguire before we sold Varane.

McT again you are just making things up with, based on literally nothing. AWB didn't leave with "his pound of flesh" - he had something owed to him in his contract, and left after that was paid.

Even if I grant you a couple of these names - it still completely debunks your claim.

There was no market for Varane and Martial. Also, Varane was of value to us , we wanted to sell Maguire before we sold Varane.

McT again you are just making things up with, based on literally nothing. AWB didn't leave with "his pound of flesh" - he had something owed to him in his contract, and left after that was paid.

Even if I grant you a couple of these names - it still completely debunks your claim.

As said he will probably stay so we either have to trigger the 1 year extension were he will be granted the 'something owed to him in his contract' or else he will walk on a free. Either way he will leave only when it makes financial sense to him to leave.

But let's say that what you're saying is true. There's hardly alot of elite clubs queuing for his services. Which speaks volumes of how good he is

21/22 57 goals (Ronaldo scored 18 of them)
22/23 58 goals with Rashford scoring 17 of them (Ronaldo doesn't score and leaves)
23/24 57 goals (Rashford scores only 7 goals)

If McTominay leaves or doesn't play for whatever reason, United will also score around the same number of goals. The goals will increase only with a significant performance improvement. If that happens, we can safely assume McTominay won't be part of it.
Ok, but I’m sure you’d agree that Mctominay is useful as an impact sub. He scored some vital goals for us off the bench.
I’m not opposed to selling him but agree with the club that unless we get 30m or near enough to it, he’s worth keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.