Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely. Seems like we’ve abandoned the Galactico approach which can only be good news.

Dan James will be young and hungry. De Ligt excites me far more than Koulibaly ever did. We need players that will build a core and a foundation for years to come and grow with the team, not mercenary prima donnas

If things are not going well, in this day and age, every player is a mercenary. That's the way it is unfortunately. Players automatically look at City or Liverpool for example, modern day football, and want to be part of that kind of football!

I’d have to agree with De Ligt just because he seems to be that special level of talent, but getting players to come based on money isn’t always the wisest way to go about transfers. I just hope he actually wants to come here (if he fecking does of course).
The thing is, United currently need a player with de Ligt's reputation in order for players to believe in our rebuild project. If players have no belief that United will do its utmost to bring the club back to fighting for the biggest trophies, nobody worth anything will want to be part of this club. It's similar to how RVP left Arsenal. He left because he felt and knew Arsenal would no longer be competing for the biggest trophies due to transfer strategy.

There could be many looking at United as a sinking ship and a player like de Ligt could convince other players to flock to United. Our current reputation is quite bad. This could possibly convince Pogba and de Gea to stay. Not that we can't do without de Gea, but reputation does matter in some sense.

Just reading about Ramos wanting to leave Real, I'd expect they'll get involved with De Ligt.
They’ve said he won’t be able to leave on a free so unless they get paid in a dodgy way it won’t be happening

Just reading about Ramos wanting to leave Real, I'd expect they'll get involved with De Ligt.
Don’t think they can afford it with Hazard going there and other targets in mind. Plus they signed Militao from Porto.

If things are not going well, in this day and age, every player is a mercenary. That's the way it is unfortunately. Players automatically look at City or Liverpool for example, modern day football, and want to be part of that kind of football!
I suppose so. When you look at the players that play for the teams you’ve mentioned, you can see the commitment they give on the pitch - 100%. Their players fight for every ball and leave nothing off the pitch. They’re hungry for success. Compare that with Lukaku being out of puff after one half of football, Pogba galavanting round the pitch and not willing to track back and Sanchez happy to pick up paycheck after paycheck following dogshit performances.

We need players who are passionate about the club and willing to give it their all on the pitch, and that’s where recruiting the young, hungry players eager to prove themselves will come in.

I'm normally a muppet, and I really rate and want De Ligt. But I'm really not getting the vibes that this is likely to happen. He's clearly Barca bound, not going to choose us over them.

On a side note, one of the so-called ‘Reddit ITKs’ has been sending posters into a frenzy with his prediction that De Ligt is a 95% done deal, and there’s a 50% chance it could be announced on Wednesday (despite him saying he’ll decide after the international games on 9th June). Someone even asked him to “spaff on my tits”. This so called ITK ‘Fred’ has been a member less than a year :lol:

How do people fall for this shit?

There's just a slight feeling I have that De ligt doesn't just want to take the easy route to Barcelona. He doesn't just want to follow de Jong there and seem like his baby brother - especially if the lad is being payed less than him.

He just doesn't seem like a character that wants to do things the easy way doing the whole ajax to Barca route when another player has just done that this season.

He seems like a guy who can appreciate how big United is, sees them in the europa league, hears the club is rebuilding with youth and I cans ee him wanting to be one the main men to get United back to where they belong.

The PL isn't going to go down suddenly - the money & the interest is going. I don't see de ligt going to Barcelona to fight against just Real Madrid and once in a whilst athletico Madrid. The PL is the major league and the European finals show this. Its not such a coincidence that players like De ligt or Jovic have been talking about the PL as their preferred Leagues.

There's just a slight feeling I have that De ligt doesn't just want to take the easy route to Barcelona. He doesn't just want to follow de Jong there and seem like his baby brother - especially if the lad is being payed less than him.

He just doesn't seem like a character that wants to do things the easy way doing the whole ajax to Barca route when another player has just done that this season.

He seems like a guy who can appreciate how big United is, sees them in the europa league, hears the club is rebuilding with youth and I cans ee him wanting to be one the main men to get United back to where they belong.

The PL isn't going to go down suddenly - the money & the interest is going. I don't see de ligt going to Barcelona to fight against just Real Madrid and once in a whilst athletico Madrid.

I wish I had your optimism. Top muppet :drool:

I aso said it is similar to Frenkie, if Barca pay up, he is theirs. That is what is holding the deal back. Our bid is only getting used by him and Raiola to pressure Barca. Will be funny to See what happens if they dont improve their offer. I think they will and offload some other squad players.

He is going to Barca. The season isn't even over yet,, quit trying to justify conspiracy theories which explain why he hasn't signed yet

I wish I had your optimism. Top muppet :drool:

Haha

I get it & see the whole tradition of Ajax to Barca - but these players are in the current generation playing football looking at the future.

Ajax just got beat by Spurs; a wonderful team playing above their heights with a great manager like poch. The League went to the last day with a 99 point win with Klopp and Pep managing great teams. One is now in the final UCL after playing last year too with Poch and spurs their opponent. Arsenal & Chelsea playing a Europa league final. You add teams like Everton & Wolves - the competitive nature of the PL is going to be attractive more than ever to some players isnt it?
Just the type of character De Jong is whilst watching him play & De Ligt too - I can see why de Jong may move to Barcelona more than the PL - likewise I can see why De ligt may want to move to the PL over other Leagues.

As I said - I hear Jovic now big talking the PL clubs as a place he would like to move. Just guess talk obviously but I can see why these players prefer the PL, the money, the competition more so than the other clubs in other Leagues.

Haha

I get it & see the whole tradition of Ajax to Barca - but these players are in the current generation playing football looking at the future.

Ajax just got beat by Spurs; a wonderful team playing above their heights with a great manager like poch. The League went to the last day with a 99 point win with Klopp and Pep managing great teams. One is now in the final UCL after playing last year too with Poch and spurs their opponent. Arsenal & Chelsea playing a Europa league final. You add teams like Everton & Wolves - the competitive nature of the PL is going to be attractive more than ever to some players isnt it?
Just the type of character De Jong is whilst watching him play & De Ligt too - I can see why de Jong may move to Barcelona more than the PL - likewise I can see why De ligt may want to move to the PL over other Leagues.

As I said - I hear Jovic now big talking the PL clubs as a place he would like to move. Just guess talk obviously but I can see why these players prefer the PL, the money, the competition more so than the other clubs in other Leagues.

I really do not think players care about "competitive nature" but, I do not know why everyone assumes the Spanish clubs are the biggest draws or will always be the biggest draws. With the popularity of the Premier League worldwide most young players probably grew up dreaming of playing in England.

He'll be the best defender in the world in 3 seasons time. Offer him what he wants. Make him captain, put the deposit down for a fecking statue, just get it done.

I can't believe the money being talked about for a contract for this guy. £14 million a year or something? For a 19 year old that really still hadn't proven his ability? Are we losing the plot here?

On a side note, one of the so-called ‘Reddit ITKs’ has been sending posters into a frenzy with his prediction that De Ligt is a 95% done deal, and there’s a 50% chance it could be announced on Wednesday (despite him saying he’ll decide after the international games on 9th June). Someone even asked him to “spaff on my tits”. This so called ITK ‘Fred’ has been a member less than a year :lol:

How do people fall for this shit?

HAHA HAHAGA

I can't believe the money being talked about for a contract for this guy. £14 million a year or something? For a 19 year old that really still hadn't proven his ability? Are we losing the plot here?

He has proven his ability that is why there is such a bidding war.

Our man Guillem follows him.

Well Guillem was laughing in our faces yesterday with his silly little man rolling on the floor meme, maybe should get this guy to call him out just to see what kind of response he gets out of Balague

I have a strong feeling he will end up at Bayern if not Barca. Stable club with consistent success.
I am not worried about his minutes if he joins Bayern. Kovac loves to play 3 central defenders and they are negotiating to sell Boateng and probably Hummels as well. Sule/Lucas/De Ligt/Pavard to fight for 3 slots are fair enough.

He has most certainly proven his ability.

I have a strong feeling he will end up at Bayern if not Barca. Stable club with consistent success.
I am not worried about his minutes if he joins Bayern. Kovac loves to play 3 central defenders and they are negotiating to sell Boateng and probably Hummels as well. Sule/Lucas/De Ligt/Pavard to fight for 3 slots are fair enough.

Nearly 200 million for CBs in the same window would be unprecedented.

I really do not think players care about "competitive nature" but, I do not know why everyone assumes the Spanish clubs are the biggest draws or will always be the biggest draws. With the popularity of the Premier League worldwide most young players probably grew up dreaming of playing in England.
All players dream to play for Real Madrid and Barcelona. It’s not assuming. The track record told you everything.

I aso said it is similar to Frenkie, if Barca pay up, he is theirs. That is what is holding the deal back. Our bid is only getting used by him and Raiola to pressure Barca. Will be funny to See what happens if they dont improve their offer. I think they will and offload some other squad players.

This probably the case. It's a game of chicken between Barca and De ligt's camp. It no surprise that he said he'd wait till after the international games to announce his decision. It gives his agents time to ramp up bids and leak stories to the media to increase pressure on Barca to up their offer. Question is who will give in ? And if neither gives in, how badly does De ligt want to play for Barca.
I still think he'll end up there. If he seriously considering UTD, a deal would have been done by now. It seems his maximizing the amount of time he can decide in hopes Barca capitulate

Barca setting themselves up the same way City do, other players choosing money over them.

We are in a tight spot.

We want a hungry, young and with something to prove players and not in it for the money, but sadly money is all we can offer at the moment.

If they're hungry and wanting to prove something there are no bigger platform than doing it with champions league players and plays among the best of the crop. Isnt that the ultimate goal of every player ideally?

How can we expect all those traits from a player who choses us instead of barcelona, city, liverpool, etc which actually competes for trophy (often said the ultimate glory in achivement).

At this moment all we can offer is financial, brand recognition.

Will they pay him what he wants and they already spent big on a CB. They need money for other signings.

He’s a generational talent; probably the best defender for his age in European football. Captain of a CL semifinal team at 19.

We didn’t balk at paying a record fee for a teenager when we bought Ronaldo, and we did the same with Rio and Rooney.

Pay particular attention to what Domenech reports on the situation. He seems to be well connected on both sides.(Amsterdam/Barcelona)

We are in a tight spot.

We want a hungry, young and with something to prove players and not in it for the money, but sadly money is all we can offer at the moment.

If they're hungry and wanting to prove something there are no bigger platform than doing it with champions league players and plays among the best of the crop. Isnt that the ultimate goal of every player ideally?

How can we expect all those traits from a player who choses us instead of barcelona, city, liverpool, etc which actually competes for trophy (often said the ultimate glory in achivement).

At this moment all we can offer is financial, brand recognition.
Liverpool does not sit right in that sentence wowi the other teams you mentioned. They come close like once a decade so it's not like they have much more to offer than us, who have actually won stuff over the last few years.

Pay particular attention to what Domenech reports on the situation. He seems to be well connected on both sides.(Amsterdam/Barcelona)

“Remains a target.” That doesn’t exactly sound encouraging from a Barca perspective does it.

And De Ligt isn’t the Barca fan De Jong is.

Or am I just putting way too positive a spin on that tweet ?

“Remains a target.” That doesn’t exactly sound encouraging from a Barca perspective does it.

And De Ligt isn’t the Barca fan De Jong is.

Or am I just putting way too positive a spin on that tweet ?
From what I gather, he's reported that United haven't even got to completing half the deal yet. So I'm assuming we've made inroads.

Liverpool does not sit right in that sentence wowi the other teams you mentioned. They come close like once a decade so it's not like they have much more to offer than us, who have actually won stuff over the last few years.

Yeah it’s sickening nonsense isn’t it.

fecking Liverpool. Wouldn’t be surprised if it all falls apart for them again next season. As usual.

As much as I want him here it’s crazy if we’re offering a 19/20 year old kid £200-£250k a week. When will we learn?

It's not about age. It's about quality.

No-one minds paying the top players. It's having a string of lingard and Jones types on huge money that scuppers us.

Might pain you to admit it - but Liverpool have been in 2 champions league finals in a row. They finished way ahead of us this year and have a fantastic manager. Of course they deserve to be mentioned with the others.

They aren’t the old Liverpool anymore, it’s clear they are going somewhere.

Anyway on topic praying we get De Ligt, what a statement if we do

Status
Not open for further replies.