Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a logical reason why City are not in for him if he is available indeed? Raiola might be such a reason but they signed a Raiola client last summer (a Dutch defender who didn't play much). City's net spending last season was 20m or something, they have a lot of money for new players.

They won’t pay the wages we will.

Barca are stumbling, they thought they had it nice it and easy and they were all he wanted.

Now they need to stump up for him, they’ve got major reservations. An already large wage bill, for which they’re already taking out loans on coupled with the wages of De Jong and Griezmann to add onto it, isn’t a prospect they fancy.

It’s also a position they’re well stocked in and not a priority for them.

All of the above leading them to brief the press he’s chosen money because they don’t want the backlash of their fans.

He’s all ours :drool:

That’s the posts I like to see my dear muppetses.

No obvious weaknesses apart from being blonde.

Very rare to find a complete defender, especially for his age, most great distributors are lacking elsewhere and vice-versa. He seems great at everything.
His good performances for his national team and in the Champions League, his seemingly great character in terms of leadership and maturity, as well as Ajax apparently not being stubborn about the fee all make him a very compelling signing.

I wouldn’t say De Ligt excels in every facet of defending - pace troubles him, so situations where he is defending space behind him, wide areas or in isolation can give him bother. He also isn’t a particularly great distributor of the ball - he is tidy and assured in possession, and looks a supremely confident, unwavering young man in general, but his range and ability to progress the play doesn’t come close to the top bracket.

I wouldn’t say De Ligt excels in every facet of defending - pace troubles him, so situations where he is defending space behind him, wide areas or in isolation can give him bother. He also isn’t a particularly great distributor of the ball - he is tidy and assured in possession, and looks a supremely confident, unwavering young man in general, but his range and ability to progress the play doesn’t come close to the top bracket.
There was a clip of him out running Mbappe to get to a ball, I'm not saying that alone shows he's fast or has no problem with pace, but he can't be that bad if he can keep up with Mbappe
Plus he's still young, incredibly young for a defender and by the time he's 24,25 he'll be the best in the biz

Barca are stumbling, they thought they had it nice it and easy and they were all he wanted.

Now they need to stump up for him, they’ve got major reservations. An already large wage bill, for which they’re already taking out loans on coupled with the wages of De Jong and Griezmann to add onto it, isn’t a prospect they fancy.

All of the above leading them to brief the press he’s chosen money because they don’t want the backlash of their fans.

This, so much.

I know it has been said before, but this smells so much like the Pogba transfer, with Barca now taking Real's role of the "jilted lover".

We’re in the Endgame now :devil:

Who would really buy Coutinho for over £100m? PSG? Not anyone else.

I don’t think Barcelona is worried about the transfer fee, it’s the wages. Top that of with a hefty contract for Griezmann and that they are already borrowing money for the wages. They cannot afford both.

I think it’s silly for them to buy him. Pique had a great season and will at least play for another couple years. Lenglet is good. Umtiti is injury prone but he great and Tobido is a solid prospect. It’s just overkill for them to buy, especially when they already have to borrow money.
I didn't say £100m for Coutinho. The amount suggested is £85m and someone will pay it. It'll be over £100m when they sell some of the other players touted for departure like Rakitic and Umtiti and some of the surplus to requirements players like every team has. Wages will be a problem as I don't think they can go into the forthcoming season with a smaller wage bill even if they get rid of about five players and only sign the three in question. However, I do think de Ligt and de Jong will actually be on less wages than most people think. They are super young and it usually takes a bit longer at the top level to be earning silly money of over £200k a week (even for the brightest stars).

Barca will find a way to make it work with the three players their clearly after. They will IMO have a significantly better first XI next season, but maybe a thinner squad overall.

There was a clip of him out running Mbappe to get to a ball, I'm not saying that alone shows he's fast or has no problem with pace, but he can't be that bad if he can keep up with Mbappe
Plus he's still young, incredibly young for a defender and by the time he's 24,25 he'll be the best in the biz

A good piece of defending. He had a teammate recovering to shut down the space infield, got his positioning and body shape right and stood up.

I wasn’t criticising him. He is a great defender and is obviously a bit special. I’m just saying he’s more a ‘Vidic’ than a ‘Ferdinand’.

I slept with De Ligt on tonight, hope it worked.

I really hope De Ligt chooses United. He can become a legend here, he is already the captain at Ajax at 19. An incredible talent!

Where would you go if you had the choice between Gerard Pique and Phil Jones next to you?
A Europa League rebuild under an unproven manager is a very tempting prospect, as many in this thread have already mentioned.
Is it? Oh boy is my finger not on the pulse anymore.

Yep, all the stuff from their press reeks of Barca trying to save face.

So they are going to sack their manager and looking at a cheaper alternative to Greasyman. will this swing more in Barca direction again?

Maybe think he is not available as they have to break their wage structure and he won't agree for lower wages than offered elsewhere.

Might be the case but is there any reason to believe money are so important to him? Besides, City are supposed to be quite creative with their payments to staff.

It's all too speculative now, we don't really know what Barca/Bayern/Juventus/City are offering him or what he really wants. If he is sincere when saying that his further development as a player comes first, then he is hardly dreaming about Ole's United. This United team is arguably worse than Ajax and looks light years away from competing for the PL/CL. Sure, Pogba moved to United, but Mourinho was a factor, his name was still meaning titles back then.

This would have made sense if, in the meantime, United linked journos didn't put out the United not interested line

Only one to put out that line as far as I know is Skysports, and we all know how "reliable" they are, especially if they sourced it from Ballague. Where is Benatia by the way?

Might be the case but is there any reason to believe money are so important to him? Besides, City are supposed to be quite creative with their payments to staff.

It's all too speculative now, we don't really know what Barca/Bayern/Juventus/City are offering him or what he really wants. If he is sincere when saying that his further development as a player comes first, then he is hardly dreaming about Ole's United. This United team is arguably worse than Ajax and looks light years away from competing for the PL/CL. Sure, Pogba moved to United, but Mourinho was a factor, his name was still meaning titles back then.

Not sure what to reply when you post "is there any reason to believe money are so important to him?". If money wasn't important then Barca wages won't have been so huge and player won't be looking to leave his dream club.

Regarding player examples there are many players who rejected ManUtd who were trophy machine to sign for clubs who barely won anything, like Bale and Ramsey

Not sure what to reply when you post "is there any reason to believe money are so important to him?". If money wasn't important then Barca wages won't have been so huge and player won't be looking to leave his dream club.

Regarding player examples there are many players who rejected ManUtd who were trophy machine to sign for clubs who barely won anything, like Bale and Ramsey

I didn't say 'important' but 'so important' which makes a significant difference in the context my post provided.

Anyway, I don't really know how probable is to sign him. I might be quite wrong that the probability is relatively low. Fans are entitled of their transfer hopes and dreams. Think he would be a fantastic signing, so it is only natural to get excited about the possibility to get him.

After all this, I'd be pissed if he goes to some other club other than United and Barca.

Lads, who’s next ? Jovic ? Sancho ?

Both ?
Jovic is Madrid bound and Sancho won't leave this summer. Koulibaly and Felix also look like their clubs are pricing people out.

Next potential big transfer for us would be either Fernandes or maybe Griezmann if Barcelona do tie up De Ligt.

We are clueless when it comes to such transfers. There's no way he's coming here :D It would be huge step back in his career, but if he comes we will waste another players until he leaves and somehow recovers, or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.