View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
So disappointing tonight. I think he'll come good but that was poor

I'm sure Juventus and Bayern thought so as well. This guy is bang average and will end up back at Ajax or a lower league in no time unless united stick with him like they have with so many mediocre players in recent years

I was really looking forward to him joining since he was geniunelly good at Bayern. While you can blame managers for a drop in players performances due to tactics, those instances today were purely 1-on-1 battles with the striker that he lost, really disappointing.

Partly at fault for two goals for not being sharp enough. Still think he's quality, though.

When Bad he is the the worst of Phil Jones combined with the worst of Maguire. So slow and stiff on the turn but also prone to headless chicken charges out of position and rash challenges.

Dog shite, absolutely dog shite.

Another huge waste of money.

Just needs to calm down. No composure or confidence at all.

Needs a steady partner. I think Evans next to him could help.

Two crap performances in a row. Another player who's lack of pace is being exposed by our shit system though.

I've not commented on him until now.

He looks like another waste of money. But it's what we deserve for letting a dimwit manager to sign players

I'm sure Juventus and Bayern thought so as well. This guy is bang average and will end up back at Ajax or a lower league in no time unless united stick with him like they have with so many mediocre players in recent years

He was good at both those clubs and very much split opinion leaving each. Juve got a great offer while recouping insane Ronaldo money

He's another good player that's losing his confidence at the club. We tend to make players worse these days. He'll be just find under a good manager.

Was it that long ago at Southampton when it looked like De Ligt looked a player? He's been awful recently. Turned inside out and shaken all about several times tonight. Captain at 18, brought in for leadership? Bullocks. Didn't even look like he was communicating with Mazraoui who he's known for yonks. Him and Martinez were on totally different planets.

Pundits still going with the "not better than Maguire" comments.

Poor game, but Maguire has had much much worse performances.

He was good at both those clubs and very much split opinion leaving each. Juve got a great offer while recouping insane Ronaldo money

He started poorly at Juventus and never completely won the fans over. Bayern fans had more time for him but only Nagelsman had faith in him. Upamecano and Kim forged a great partnership and became clear first choices, despite some erraneous displays by Upamecano.

Despite what both sets of fans thought, the managers and the clubs actions showed that De Ligt became surplus to requirements and they both got rid of him and cashed out while his stock was still relatively high.

He's no better than the likes of Maguire, Mertesacker and Eric Dier. We have now conceded 9 goals in the last three games he's started and he's played his role in that

I don't think him and Martinez is a viable partnership. They're both so slow and prone to making rash decisions. I think they'll each look a lot better alongside Yoro.

He started poorly at Juventus and never completely won the fans over. Bayern fans had more time for him but only Nagelsman had faith in him. Upamecano and Kim forged a great partnership and became clear first choices, despite some erraneous displays by Upamecano.

Despite what both sets of fans thought, the managers and the clubs actions showed that De Ligt became surplus to requirements and they both got rid of him and cashed out while his stock was still relatively high.

He's no better than the likes of Maguire, Mertesacker and Eric Dier. We have now conceded 9 goals in the last three games he's started and he's played his role in that

I think this is just far too simple, it suggests any player who has moved club isn't good/wanted no matter the fee or who they move to. I don't have stats in front of me but im not sure upamecano or Kim did actually become a top partnership, they've emerged together as starting this season but let's see it play out. Bayern were poor last season whoever played. He was also in bundesliga team of the season in 22/23

Lastly the 9 goals thing simply isn't true. De ligt started and played well with clean sheets at palace and Southampton.

I think there's a touch too much jumping to conclusions and too many reductions here to think that you're posting in a level headed and measured way

You kind of expect his lack of pace to be exposed sometimes.

But one thing he can get right is his penalty box defending, dealing with crosses. But he couldn't get that right either tonight.

Pundits still going with the "not better than Maguire" comments.

Poor game, but Maguire has had much much worse performances.
Yeah, the entire match day was also full of those.

That said, it was a disasterclass of a performance, he was outmuscled, outpaced and outsmarted by Omorodion.

I can't honestly say that I've seen him play a lot, but I remember a nation's league game, Netherlands vs England, and Kane bullied him all game and Rashford went past him with ease. Looked too weak and slow for the premier league.

To be fair we could clone Vidic, Irwin and Stam and they’d look like headless chickens. Just the way we are. At least De Ligt is the right age profile. He’s looked decent in a couple of games already this season. Maybe when we get rid of Ten Lives things will improve.

I actually thought he was doing well for the first 30 mins or so, was winning duels, launching himself at headers and then it just went very wrong.

I will wait and see how he does with another centre back partner. Don't think he and Martinez work well at all.

Looks so nervy, like everyone who ends up here. He's managed to get there without the initial grace period however.

Is the pressure at Utd just too much for players to handle? Should we just stop watching for a bit and see how they do? Bring back lockdown fc.

Profile wise he’s not very quick, bit clumsy, but impressive in the air and blocking/sliding in deep block situations. Sounds a bit like a player I know…

Don’t think he and Martinez are a particularly good duo. You need an actual runner with a composed brain beside the latter like Varane who did heavy lifting in that regard in Martinez’s first season to let the latter do his ballplaying stuff.
They are quite clearly a bad duo and it waw obvious they would be to begin with. Which begs the question of why we signed him.

To be fair we could clone Vidic, Irwin and Stam and they’d look like headless chickens. Just the way we are. At least De Ligt is the right age profile. He’s looked decent in a couple of games already this season. Maybe when we get rid of Ten Lives things will improve.
Fully believe the United defence/midfield is being sabotaged by Ten Hag's ridiculous tactics game after game, feel like it's hard to judge them properly until he leaves.

Reminder that people who questioned this signing back during the summer were shouted down by the hivemind

I think this is just far too simple, it suggests any player who has moved club isn't good/wanted no matter the fee or who they move to. I don't have stats in front of me but im not sure upamecano or Kim did actually become a top partnership, they've emerged together as starting this season but let's see it play out. Bayern were poor last season whoever played. He was also in bundesliga team of the season in 22/23

Lastly the 9 goals thing simply isn't true. De ligt started and played well with clean sheets at palace and Southampton.

I think there's a touch too much jumping to conclusions and too many reductions here to think that you're posting in a level headed and measured way

Tuchel didn't rate De Ligt highly and thought he was too slow/not good enough in the buildup for his liking, and didn't offer enough vertical passes. Kim and Upamecano were seen to fit his system well and are now thriving under Kompany. Below are a few quotes from a thread on the Bayern subreddit that discussed his reduced game time in Tuchel's second season:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BayernMunich/s/czZV1Zgf4S

"Tuchel has said that he wants center backs that play vertical balls well and play directly to the attacking half. MDL isn’t great at this so he’s sitting. I would rather see him in because more stability at the back is more important to me and Kim/MDL would be extremely stable."

"He's decent on the ball, but he's much more of a defense-first player (which, for the record, I think we need).

Upamecano, as worrying as he can be defensively from time to time, actually is a better technical player and passer.

I'd still rather see MdL starting more often than not, but I don't think Tuchel's wrong about their relative passing ability. He's just wrong tactically, imo."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...el-NOT-fan-Bayern-Munich-big-player-slow.html

We didn't concede those goals in consecutive matches, what I meant to and should've stated is that he's been poor against half decent to good opposition. Southampton are strong relegation candidates and Palace have started the season poorly.

De Ligt has already shown the shortcomings that a few of us expressed concerns about before and after his signing. I think he's an OK player, but he's not going to thrive at a top club in my opinion.

Juventus and Bayern sold him for a reason. This is the player who was once praised to the heavens and lauded as one of the best centerbacks in world football or expected to be. He's currently far off from the position where he was able to pick top clubs of his choosing. De Ligt can't even get a meaningful game for the Dutch NT since 2022 and he squandered his chance to impress in the nation's league with two back to back poor performances during the first international break

Last edited:
We bought the wrong profile of defender, slow and cumbersome not ideal to partner with Martinez or any other of the centre backs we have.

He looked really good in his first few games but he's soon regressed like it seems everyone we sign does.

I'm not judging him too much yet because the system we're playing is absolutely broken.

Was beaten in air for first and second goal and beaten on the ground for third goal.

Defending is a team effort. I don't know how the Porto players got enough space to do the crosses they did for all goals . It wasn't even the byline crossing

This signing was a major red flag from Ineos. De Ligt somehow bounces around from one top club to the next but is never good enough to find a starting spot. Essentially, he is the Alvaro Morata of centre-backs. Clubs buy the name in the hope he can one day “put it all together” but that simply isn't a formality. He's 25 years old and gets rag-dolled by strikers who just turned 20. I don't see De Ligt as anything more than a decent third-choice centre-back before going back to Holland in his thirties.

Last edited:
This signing was a major red flag from Ineos. De Ligt somehow bounces around from one top club to the next but is never good enough to find a starting spot. Essentially, he is the Alvaro Morata of centre-backs. Clubs buy the name in the hope he can one day “put it all together” but that simply isn't a formality. He's 25 years old and gets rag-dolled by strikers who just turned twenty. I don't see De Ligt as anything more than a decent third-choice centre-back before going back to Holland in his thirties.
I would like to wait to see him under a different manager/system. Who is looking good in current setup?