Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Nev's comments. fecking hell. He still wants us to stick to the wingers with 2 strikers upfront style.

If it's a PR move by United then we truly have some idiots at the club. Yes, this is what the fans want, being linked to more top quality players that we never end up signing.

People were saying the same thing in the summer. "We're pretending to bid for Thiago and Fabregas so it won't look so bad when we end up signing Fellaini".

That worked so very well.

We'd quash this story if it wasn't true, I'm not saying it'll happen but something is going on, otherwise we'd just come out and deny it rather than saying "we haven't made a bid...yet."

Quash it how? Announce that United have no interest in buying Mata? Maybe United have no plans to bid for him this window, but what is to be gained by ruling it out in the future by publicly implying to the player they don't rate him? The only time I can remember a statement from United that they had no interest in a player, despite a lot of media speculation, was Jermaine Defoe. But Mata is actually a good player. No point burning bridges...

You could have made a perfectly reasonable case arguing Mata was the prem's best player last season, and that was with Suarez, Bale and RvP all being brilliant. He was outstanding from start to finish with virtually no drops in form.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Thats ridiculous money for the 4th best in the league

Not really. It's a sellers market in this case and we have to make a bid that's convincing to Chelsea to accept.

We have here a player who was consistently excellent during his first two years in the league and we want to buy him more than Chelsea want to sell him. That's the cost of doing business in January between rivals.

Just saw Nev's comments. fecking hell. He still wants us to stick to the wingers with 2 strikers upfront style.
He's very old school and loves the club to his core. He's a great analysis and knows the game inside out, but personally I wouldn't want him working at the club on a coaching level. He's too much of a fan.

Outcast or their player of the year for 2 years before Maureen arrived and had a fight with him?
Whatever happened he's been outcasted since this summer no?

A club can't expect top dollar for a player who has been pushed aside and deemed surplus to requirements.

You could have made a perfectly reasonable case arguing Mata was the prem's best player last season, and that was with Suarez, Bale and RvP all being brilliant. He was outstanding from start to finish with virtually no drops in form.

Indeed. I remember a lot of people saying Mata would be a better bet than Rooney during the summer (although that was with Rooney's poor form still in mind). He is one of the best players in the league, whether Mourinho plays him or not. Would be up there with RvP and Rooney as one of our few real top quality players.

Not really. It's a sellers market in this case and we have to make a bid that's convincing to Chelsea to accept.

We have here a player who was consistently excellent during his first two years in the league and we want to buy him more than Chelsea want to sell him. That's the cost of doing business in January between rivals.

Well, no we dont. Since he'll be forcing a move soon and its clearly Chelsea pushing this idea. If we buy him its to replace Rooney, who we (the club and manager) want to keep but realistically is leaving and Chelsea want him.

Aye, it's worrying reading his comments, as you'd think he's probably more in the know than most, so for him to say that makes me feel that there isn't much in these rumours. :(

Sky Sports reporting that Chelsea are willing to listen to offers for Mata. The question is are they willing to sell to us without wanting Rooney in exchange.

Well, no we dont. Since he'll be forcing a move soon and its clearly Chelsea pushing this idea. If we buy him its to replace Rooney, who we (the club and manager) want to keep but realistically is leaving and Chelsea want him.

4 year contract Vs 1 year contract
We're desperate to buy now Vs Chelsea happy to wait till the summer

Huge considerations especially given how desperate we are to get some quality in to achieve 4th. If Mata can help us to that he'll have been a snip.

4 year contract Vs 1 year contract
We're desperate to buy now Vs Chelsea happy to wait till the summer

Huge considerations especially given how desperate we are to get some quality in to achieve 4th. If Mata can help us to that he'll have been a snip.

He'd never be a snip at £37 million. We arent talking about Iniesta

I'm sure Mata is desperate to go to the World Cup which is only a few months away. What better platform to show your talents than Old feckin Trafford?

By sitting on Chelsea's bench Mata has zero chance of going to Rio. He's likely desperate to leave. Where? Hopefully Manchester United.

He's very old school and loves the club to his core. He's a great analysis and knows the game inside out, but personally I wouldn't want him working at the club on a coaching level. He's too much of a fan.

I dont mind him being a fan but we need modern coaches imo, this outlook of 2 strikers and 2 wide wingers is long gone. To say someone like MAta doesnt fit in the United philosophy tells a lot about us and how we view things. I really hope we move on and adapt. Unless we somehow unearth 2 Keano's, you just cant play like that anymore. That's actually ignoring how stupid it is to build a team around Valencia and Young.

Aye, it's worrying reading his comments, as you'd think he's probably more in the know than most, so for him to say that makes me feel that there isn't much in these rumours. :(

I dont think Chelsea will sell to us anyways but its more the his ideas and beliefs that shock me. He comes across as a firm believer of us sticking to the 2 striker, 2 outright wingers style and it just wont work anymore unless we get genuinely top CMs to go with 2 top wingers. Why would you focus so much on wing play when your wingers are Valencia and Young?

Just been sent this, not sure how true it is,

Jose Mourinho will demand Juan Mata personally tells him that he wants to join Manchester United before pushing the green light on a £40million switch to Old Trafford. [The Telegraph]

Whatever happened he's been outcasted since this summer no?

A club can't expect top dollar for a player who has been pushed aside and deemed surplus to requirements.

Outcasted after a rowwith Maureen. Would you expect us to sell Rooney on the cheap or Rooney is any less desirable if SAF had stayed and their fight continued ?

I agree with Irwin here. If he is available at 37m, then go balls out to get him IMO.

If Rooney definitely wants to leave...

We sign Mata now and agree to let Chelsea have Rooney in the summer? Everyone wins there I think. We get to have Mata and Rooney lead our charge for fourth, plus we've Rooney's replacement sorted before we even get to the summer. Chelsea get a good fee for a player they don't use, strengthen a team that can take points of the other title challengers and know they have Rooney coming in to solve the big weakness in their squad for next season. Plus they have a bit more cash to spend in this window and time to spend it. Rooney gets the move he wanted in the summer and Mata goes to a club that will probably build the side around him.

Or would selling Rooney to a rival still be unacceptable?

You in 2005 Ekeke?

Bale - £80 mil
Falcao - £50 mil
Cavani - £50 mil
Torres - £50 mil
Neymar - £50 (£90?) mil
Higuain - £35 mil
Pastore - £35 mil

etc etc

He's definitely worth 37M, especially given the circumstances. Its not even a debate.

fecking football manager

:lol: Football manager...

The last management game I played the first player you rushed to buy was Sunday Oliseh. Thinking a top quality player who would immediately improve our starting eleven is worth a certain figure doesn't mean you are a FM fan.

Yeah, at 25 Iniesta would have been a snip at £75 million.

Mata is worth every penny of 37million of the Glazers money. Straight from that bottom line!! :drool:
He's worth every penny when you consider our current position, both in the league and lack off quality players. If we were in a position to haggle we could get him for less, unfortunately we don't have that luxury.

He's a brilliant pundit, but this really is bullshit and very frustrating. We've been playing an outdated system for years, while focusing on wingplay from very poor/average wingers. It really is time for a change of style and more modern approach in our football.

I'd be all for signing Mata, as not only is he a wonderful player, but it is a progressive sign in leaving that archaic style. Of course it isn't the solution to our midfield issues, but it could hopefully have an impact on the team in the same way as Ozil did at Arsenal, in terms of influence over the team as a whole.

We've been calling out for a central midfielder for years and that is the number one priority, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that our creativity and incisiveness in the final third is next to non-existent.

If Moyes were to encourage a more expressive and fluid style with Mata, Januzaj and Rooney behind van Persie, we'd see a massive upsurge in our off the ball movement and combination play even if we would still be brittle and passive in midfield from a defensive perspective.

Outcasted after a rowwith Maureen. Would you expect us to sell Rooney on the cheap or Rooney is any less desirable if SAF had stayed and their fight continued ?

Well its not because of a row. Its because its true, Mata isnt and has never been a player who does particularly well tracking back. Even at Valencia when he was playing very well as a winger I remember thinking both he and Pablo Hernandez should be tracking back more to help the exposed central midfield and defence. Its just Mourinho's preference of defensive players, not wanting to find a space for a better attacking player. Guess what, Moyes has the same nature hence Valencia and Young.

Different manager, different owners, different mentality, different situation. It wasn't a case of Rooney not fitting the style of play we wanted...it was a case of Rooney not following the rules, being unfit and lazy.

Fergie's record was boot them out and move on.

Its just not comparable. Chelsea will sell a player if he needs to be sold, but I don't get the feeling of major animosity when I see Mata sat on the bench.

I'd love this rumour to be true and everything go smoothly...even at £37m but can I see Glazernomic analyses pointing us in the direction of a £37m bid for Mata?...no I can't. Purely because of the fact Mata has been outcasted by his manager this season so he's not quite a sure thing for instant impact.

If Rooney definitely wants to leave...

We sign Mata now and agree to let Chelsea have Rooney in the summer? Everyone wins there I think. We get to have Mata and Rooney lead our charge for fourth, plus we've Rooney's replacement sorted before we even get to the summer. Chelsea get a good fee for a player they don't use, strengthen a team that can take points of the other title challengers and know they have Rooney coming in to solve the big weakness in their squad for next season. Plus they have a bit more cash to spend in this window and time to spend it. Rooney gets the move he wanted in the summer and Mata goes to a club that will probably build the side around him.

Or would selling Rooney to a rival still be unacceptable?
For me it would be.

Ekeke didn't you used to rate him? Like Banega-style obsessed?

Status
Not open for further replies.