Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I still can't believe we wasted so much time on this transfer. If we had not touched him, he'd have been just like Sterling this season.

After missing so much time over the last 18 months due to injury, small muscle issues are always likely to happen. The hope is that the serious stuff is behind him and he can then get over the small stuff as well.

Mount barely missed a game for Chelsea until the pelvic problem in his last season there, so it's not like he's someone who has historically had a lot of injuries.

At least we'll see a change of tactics vs Liverpool

55 million pounds for someone who was very injury prone (if I remember correctly) during his last 2 seasons before joining us. Jesus wept

New title suggestion:

Mason Mount, managing multiple mild muscular maladies, mysteriously missed many major matches, making Manchester massively mournful, muttering melancholic monologues, mostly mentioning midfield maestro's medical mishaps, mirroring mythical misfortune.

55 million pounds for someone who was very injury prone (if I remember correctly) during his last 2 seasons before joining us. Jesus wept
Don't forget he also had a year left on his contract and was refusing to sign a new one at Chelsea.

You remember incorrectly, but it's such a much-repeated myth that everyone seems to believe it. In his four years in the Chelsea first team he barely missed a game up until March of his last year when he had the pelvic injury which effectively ended his season. Going off transfermarkt, from the start of 19/20 until that injury in March of 22/23 he only missed 6 games through injury. Other than Bruno, I doubt any player in our squad had such a good fitness record.

Obviously we did sign him on the back of that one fairly big injury, but unless something about that particular injury was picked up in the medical there was no reason for anyone to think he'd be as injury-prone as he has been. Indeed it was probably expected that he'd be one of our fittest players.

After missing so much time over the last 18 months due to injury, small muscle issues are always likely to happen. The hope is that the serious stuff is behind him and he can then get over the small stuff as well.

Mount barely missed a game for Chelsea until the pelvic problem in his last season there, so it's not like he's someone who has historically had a lot of injuries.

Didn't Chelsea play him into the ground and had him play with injuries? I recollect he was ever present until he picked up that Pelvic problem.

Didn't Chelsea play him into the ground and had him play with injuries? I recollect he was ever present until he picked up that Pelvic problem.
Don't think that's the case at all; don't really recall Mount being pushed to play through niggling problems. James is the one who kept coming back before he should have.

Mount's had bad luck with his injuries and the one place you do not want to be with that sort of luck is OT.
The pressure on you at OT when you are playing is sizable, but when you keep getting injured, it is off the chart.

As I’ve said before he was a before Ineos signing, so we will still have a few players who should never have been bought here. It might take another 2 seasons before we get shut of the shit

Step aside Phil Jones there is a new guy in town, ready to sit on your injury table.
Had so much hope for Mount but he is clearly made of glass, he needs a run in the team and is never gonna settle until he does.When that will be , god only knows.

What's really odd is he literally use to be the most durable player around.

I remember twice in his first season in the first team he went off with injuries that on the face of it looked like they were going to keep him out for weeks if not months yet started the very next game.

So he was just handed it at random then.

It seems all reverance for the number has been lost on the people running the club.
There were rumours that it was a sticking point in contract negotiations for him with Man United. Some unpleasant rumblings during his final days at Chelsea that he was too focused on his personal brand - could have been just sour grapes from our ownership but who knows really.

Worst signing of the last 10 years for me. Completely pointless and there was never really gonna be upside either.
How can he be the worst when we still have Sancho on our hands? Even if he never plays a match again at least he isnt poison to the dressing room.

Don't think that's the case at all; don't really recall Mount being pushed to play through niggling problems. James is the one who kept coming back before he should have.
OK, my Chelsea mate a few years back said Kante had been played into the ground and that Mount and James were having the same done to them and would be ruined unless they were protected more.
What's really odd is he literally use to be the most durable player around.

I remember twice in his first season in the first team he went off with injuries that on the face of it looked like they were going to keep him out for weeks if not months yet started the very next game.
I think this is partly what my mate was going on about.

Either way, Mount did use to play all the time before his first major injury and since then, doesn't appear to ever be able to stay fit.

New title suggestion:

Mason Mount, managing multiple mild muscular maladies, mysteriously missed many major matches, making Manchester massively mournful, muttering melancholic monologues, mostly mentioning midfield maestro's medical mishaps, mirroring mythical misfortune.
:lol: the tautograms might be Mount's biggest contribution to United so far.

What was the nature of Mounts initial injury?

Problem with long term injuries is you often get little niggles after which disrupt your season.

Also I do think we need to look at our methodology for rehab. Quite a few of our players have been "diagnosed" with things after leaving to other clubs. Martial was one who when on loan the club said his later injuries were due to his initial one not dealt with. Was it Evra or Lukaku who was told eggs were and issue in his diet when moving? Read something about Ashley Young too when he moved.

OK, my Chelsea mate a few years back said Kante had been played into the ground and that Mount and James were having the same done to them and would be ruined unless they were protected more.

Either way, Mount did use to play all the time before his first major injury and since then, doesn't appear to ever be able to stay fit.
Kante was a different story; like James he came back from injury far too soon and didn't have the hamstring surgery he badly needed. Don't recall any murmurings about similar applying to Mount.

I was for sure expecting/fearing a drop off performance wise as the years went on (the main reason I was perfectly fine with selling him to you guys when the alternative was a long contract as our second highest earner, now the highest) but to go from the most of the most durable players to the total opposite in such a short space of time feels unprecedented.

The problem with regular, injury prone, players like Mount, isnt just the amount of time they are off for, its also that mentally, they start to play and react differently when back on the pitch.

They become mentally weak because they start protecting themselves. They start to pull out of tackles, they hold back from making harder passes, they avoid physical contact, they start playing to their injury limitations, they don't push themselves in training quite so much.
We've all seen it with players like, Martial, Bailey, Jones etc. In the end, it results in a player who's only playing at 70-80%, instead of 100%.
That then becomes their normal level, which isn't the level the club originally invested in.

The problem with regular, injury prone, players like Mount, isnt just the amount of time they are off for, its also that mentally, they start to play and react differently when back on the pitch.

They become mentally weak because they start protecting themselves. They start to pull out of tackles, they hold back from making harder passes, they avoid physical contact, they start playing to their injury limitations, they don't push themselves in training quite so much.
We've all seen it with players like, Martial, Bailey, Jones etc. In the end, it results in a player who's only playing at 70-80%, instead of 100%.
That then becomes their normal level, which isn't the level the club originally invested in.
Would agree with most of what you say, but would not include Jones.... "shying" off, no way... he was 'Kamikaze Phil' until the end;)

Get rid. If you can’t stay fit you should not be at the club. Everyone gets injured but not constantly.
I just see mount as a grafter but not a stand out player.

A worse signing than Anthony, and that takes some doing.

Hopefully Ineos never allow Eth to pick transfers. He's been an utter nightmare.

Get rid. If you can’t stay fit you should not be at the club. Everyone gets injured but not constantly.
I just see mount as a grafter but not a stand out player.
The trouble is, who’s going to buy him mate? Like Antony he’s on huge wages. He’s going to be almost impossible to shift.

Crazy that peeps are saying Mount will be 'missed' in the match day thread. Since when did he become a key player, he's barely featured.

Pressing wise, he is absolutely a key player.
We are doomed to even believe Mount became an integral part of Eth's new pressing system, considering his injury record. We weren't very convincing vs Fulham, they had their chances, then lost to Brighton. At times Fulham and Brighton had no problem playing through our inconsistent 'press'.

But sure whatever.

Liverpool will be a bigger test and Mount definitely won't be missed.
I'm seriously hoping Eth didn't see Mount as a long term solution to success with this system.

Don't rate him personally but I can see what he does tactically for the team it's just his level of contribution is very low.

I think if he has another season where he's predominantly unavailable it would be a wise decision to offload him.

I reckon Mount would have takers for a fee in the region of Mctomminay because his absence wouldn't have been down to form but fitness issue.

Next summer 20 million is good business if he doesn't play at least 30 games across all comps this season.

He managed 20 last season by comparison being injured and 35 the season beforehand for Chelsea.