Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Another long-term injury. Looking like exactly the same problems from last season. I still fully believe it's due to overtraining. Our squad is stronger this season than last but if injuries continue at this rate it probably won't matter.

Is this a worse transfer than Antony?

Let's take into account the fact we didn't need a player in his role. We also overpaid for him, which is madness when you consider he was in the last year of his contract. Then the final piece to the jigsaw, his injury record is horrific!!

At least Antony is available all the time!!

Let's take into account the fact we didn't need a player in his role. We also overpaid for him, which is madness when you consider he was in the last year of his contract. Then the final piece to the jigsaw, his injury record is horrific!!

Antony is a failed transfer in the sense that he hasnt and wont perform at the level we need, Mount was a failed transfer since the begining, everyone knew since day one that it wasn't going to work. I dont think anyone is surprised it hasnt worked out, he's our new deadwood and still has 4 years on his contract so I expect we'll be looking to loan him the next years trying to get some of his wages off the books until his contract runs out.

This was not due to luck or misfortune, we ALL knew he was injury-prone when we signed him. That is even more frustrating than him suddenly being injury prone when he came to United. We had a chance to avoid this, but we continued nevertheless.

Worst signing of the last 10 years for me. Completely pointless and there was never really gonna be upside either.

Antony is a failed outcome; Mount was a failed transfer from Jump Street, which is much worse.

I can forgive Ten Hag for Antony, because at least it was a case of, we needed a winger so we bought a winger, he had displayed some major potential, and the player is regularly available and seems to have a good attitude and work ethic. It's just a case of bad luck that it turns out he sucks.

Nothing about the Mount transfer was a good idea, though. This player was entering the final year of his contract, no other clubs appeared interested, Chelsea seemed happy to let him go...this should all point to a situation in which we pay 25 million for this player. But what do we do, we pay more than double that for some insane reason. And this isn't a player we desperately need, either, but a player whose best position is the same position that our best player and captain plays. And all along we put this money towards him when we had a gaping hole in the middle of the park that desperately needed to be filled instead.

And THEN you add in the absolute lack of availability, to top it all off. It's the stupidest transfer business in the post-Ferguson era.

I know it's not your fault, but now I'm all worked up.

The only good thing you can get out of this is Ineos would never sign a player like this, at that cost with a year left on his contract. Murtough absolute joke.

i always feel bad for players with injuries. but jesus christ this has been an awful signing. even when we got him it was abit like ".....eh?". hopefully when he's back to full match fitness he'll be a good squad option but i seriously can't even remember anything he's done in a united shirt in 2 years. our #7 by the way

i mean. what was he supposed to fit into our team as and be successful doing?

Injury troubles aside (yes I know that's a big one), what he's shown in his 1.5 games was never going to be sustainable. He was all out intense sprinting, short and long distances in multiple directions and angles at a monster rate. It's such a shame because if ETH knew how to actual control midfield, we wouldn't need our players like Casemiro, Mainoo and Mount need to press, counter press and cover the entire pitch from disadvantageous situations.

Antony is a failed outcome; Mount was a failed transfer from Jump Street, which is much worse.

I can forgive Ten Hag for Antony, because at least it was a case of, we needed a winger so we bought a winger, he had displayed some major potential, and the player is regularly available and seems to have a good attitude and work ethic. It's just a case of bad luck that it turns out he sucks.

Nothing about the Mount transfer was a good idea, though. This player was entering the final year of his contract, no other clubs appeared interested, Chelsea seemed happy to let him go...this should all point to a situation in which we pay 25 million for this player. But what do we do, we pay more than double that for some insane reason. And this isn't a player we desperately need, either, but a player whose best position is the same position that our best player and captain plays. And all along we put this money towards him when we had a gaping hole in the middle of the park that desperately needed to be filled instead.

And THEN you add in the absolute lack of availability, to top it all off. It's the stupidest transfer business in the post-Ferguson era.

I know it's not your fault, but now I'm all worked up.
Serious question as someone still trying to understand all the tactics of the game: why wouldn't a healthy Mount address "the gaping hole in the middle of the park", as you put it?

Like what is Mount even theoretically supposed to be good at? And why would that not fit a standard CM / #8 role? I'm assuming that's what you're referring to.

Giving him the no.7 shirt was probably just part of a big picture to avoid Garnacho become more arrogant. haha

Full preseason and injured after 1.5 games. Wrong player for the wrong position on top. Whoever agreed to hand him the no.7 shirt needs to be sacked today

It's usually or at least used to be the managers decision.

Another £55m incinerated. No wonder we're in such a bind with FFP and PSR. :lol::lol::lol:

Here’s an idea, competition for the players, whoever gets 20+ goals in all competitions over the next two seasons gets to wear the No.7 shirt. ;) Mount would be lucky to get 5 with all these injuries so remove it from him.

Another £55m incinerated. No wonder we're in such a bind with FFP and PSR. :lol::lol::lol:
Including the 250k/wages for a 5 year contract the overall bill is a measly £120m over the 5 years. Or £24m/year if you are an accountant.

We're not in a bind with FFP and PSR. We're actually doing fine compared to most other clubs mainly thanks to our wage to revenue ratio being healthy.

Where does the news on his recent injury come from?
Not sure if this a reliable source but:

https://www.instagram.com/masonmount/

JOwYWej.png

These kind of niggles are par for course in football as long as he isn’t out for too many games. I think it will be devastating for him, because by the time he comes back, Zirkzee and Hojland will off-set any advantage he had over them due to the full preseason. Hard to see him getting back into the first XI soon.

Has to be considered in the same conversation for sure. At least we signed Antony with the intention that we need a right winger, sadly he's not up to it. Had we paid £30million for him at least we could sit here saying we took a punt in a position we desperately needed help in.

With Mount we're talking about a player who is a nothing player, has no clear role and like McT he doesn't appear to have an actual position where it's clear he plays to a high level. Yes he can press well but that appears to be about it. As an attacking player I expect him to be significantly better on the ball. To top it all we gave a rival £55million for the privilege for a player that had 1-year left on his contract.

Has to be considered in the same conversation for sure. At least we signed Antony with the intention that we need a right winger, sadly he's not up to it. Had we paid £30million for him at least we could sit here saying we took a punt in a position we desperately needed help in.

With Mount we're talking about a player who is a nothing player, has no clear role and like McT he doesn't appear to have an actual position where it's clear he plays to a high level. Yes he can press well but that appears to be about it. As an attacking player I expect him to be significantly better on the ball. To top it all we gave a rival £55million for the privilege for a player that had 1-year left on his contract.

Antony has done way more during his time here than Mount. Bar Brentford last season he has contributed absolutely nothing.

Before he left Boehly had utilized American medical technology powered by AI to predict his future injuries.