Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

He’s got no chance let’s be honest.

Mainoo is going to make himself a starter. Hes too good not too.

Bruno starts every game.

Well want someone with a bit more physicality in there next to them, it’ll be McSauce until Casemiro is back.

Bruno starts every game.

Well want someone with a bit more physicality in there next to them, it’ll be McSauce until Casemiro is back.
This really has been a baffling transfer hasn't it? It doesn't look as though it's been a fitness issue overall. It seems like the club just randomly buys players with different factions taking turns; 'OK Erik, you had Onana for the last pick, our pick is Mason, see what you can do'.

Bruno starts every game.

McTominay doesn't even get involved in any buildup, and doesn't really do much defensively (too high up the pitch). You got a point about Casemiro but Mainoo-Mount is as good midfield pairing as any in this squad. But that would mean we're playing Mount as an actual midfielder, and it's quite clear this is not what the manager wants.

It’s such an odd world. Spending hundreds of millions on failed projects would get the board slung out by most businesses, but we do it over and over again with no recourse
Glazers' henchmen found a solution to save themselves from being accounted for the issue by giving managers too much power to make transfer targets, which they in many cases overpaid in wage and transfer fee. CEO doesn't sack themselves. The business is still making enough profit for the owners, so the business side is good enough. So sack the managers for underperforming and being responsible for bad transfer!

He may have cost less than Antony and Sancho but will probably prove a bigger waste of money as at least the other two actually played some games and were signed to fill a genuine void in the team. (well we thought Sancho would play on the right)

The most unnecessary outlay of money that could have gone on an actual need.

Like a lot of your failures, he’s a systems player who is failing to operate outside of a coherent system. See also Onana who has a similar issue (I don’t count Antony here who is a terrible, overpriced buy).

At some point you need to stop pointing fingers at the players and start pointing fingers at the coach.

I agree he is overpriced++ with the English premium attached which is why we refused to go for him and opted for macallister (cheaper fee, cheaper pay package) and Szboszlai (similar fee, lower pay package) but he has a similar profile - reasonably technical, hardworking, suited to modern coaching and systems - which is why klopp was keen on him.

From the outside looking in your problem is you have an AVB in ten hag. I’ve thought that right from the off. A tactically astute, hardworking coach who did well with a reasonably well resourced club in a smaller league but quite simply will struggle to translate his ideas in a bigger league at a higher competitive level.

The trickiest thing is identifying which of these coaches will translate their skills onto the bigger stage, and which will simply sink and have to restart their career out of the limelight somewhere smaller.

Like a lot of your failures, he’s a systems player who is failing to operate outside of a coherent system. See also Onana who has a similar issue (I don’t count Antony here who is a terrible, overpriced buy).

At some point you need to stop pointing fingers at the players and start pointing fingers at the coach.

I agree he is overpriced++ with the English premium attached which is why we refused to go for him and opted for macallister (cheaper fee, cheaper pay package) and Szboszlai (similar fee, lower pay package) but he has a similar profile - reasonably technical, hardworking, suited to modern coaching and systems - which is why klopp was keen on him.

From the outside looking in your problem is you have an AVB in ten hag. I’ve thought that right from the off. A tactically astute, hardworking coach who did well with a reasonably well resourced club in a smaller league but quite simply will struggle to translate his ideas in a bigger league at a higher competitive level.

The trickiest thing is identifying which of these coaches will translate their skills onto the bigger stage, and which will simply sink and have to restart their career out of the limelight somewhere smaller.
I think ETH could have worked in a strong football structure, which Liverpool have and Ajax used to have. He has and will fail at United where he is allowed too much say over transfers, which is why 80% of signings come from Ajax or Dutch league.

An AVB? Ha, that's a blast from the past! I really don't know enough about football management at that level to comment but I do understand finances and it's remarkable how much freedom we give managers to commit hundreds of millions of the clubs funds into players both in transfer fees and salaries. It seems like there's a huge disconnect where a manager can be disposed of yet leaves behind several players he bought in for 'his' system or philosophy that don't meet the needs of the incoming staff. I agree 'management by committee' at best dilutes the impact of talented coaches and at worst leads to jumbled thinking but there must be a better way than this, for an organisation valued at over £6bn. To add some perspective that's more than the value of Manchester Airport Group which owns Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports.
Maybe we'll see a Man Utd Dakkar Rallye challenge!

What's going to happen with this guy now? I very much doubt the manager will play him ahead of Bruno, and Mainoo has a place locked.

What's going to happen with this guy now? I very much doubt the manager will play him ahead of Bruno, and Mainoo has a place locked.
Ten Hag started him alongside Bruno and Mainoo vs arsenal pre season game. He can still play alongside those two.

Ten Hag started him alongside Bruno and Mainoo vs arsenal pre season game. He can still play alongside those two.

That's too light a midfield for the prem - and a waste of Mainoo's ball playing abilities

Mount+Onana

Boggles the mind how this was approved. We could have gotten a genuine world-class player in his prime in for this.

Totally misidentifying the strengths and weaknesses of such an established England international is as bad as it gets. Even my ten year old nephew couldnt understand why we'd signed him to play in midfield.

apparently when he gets the ball he turns around well or something

Honestly haven't a clue why we signed him and don't see him on bench until probably Luton at earliest

Obviously we paid too much for him, but we need squad depth. Eriksen looks done, Donny is gone, Hannibal is probably not coming back, a good offer for McTominay should see him gone in the summer. Ambrabat will go back to Italy. Gore will probably be out on loan next season.

If we ever get a fit Mason he'll get plenty of game time. "If" is doing a lot of work in the previous sentence though. We can't play Casimiro, Mainoo and Bruno in 60 games a season.

Obviously we paid too much for him, but we need squad depth. Eriksen looks done, Donny is gone, Hannibal is probably not coming back, a good offer for McTominay should see him gone in the summer. Ambrabat will go back to Italy. Gore will probably be out on loan next season.

If we ever get a fit Mason he'll get plenty of game time. "If" is doing a lot of work in the previous sentence though. We can't play Casimiro, Mainoo and Bruno in 60 games a season.
We should be looking to move on Casemiro and Bruno in Summer if we are serious about getting to back to top and also to reset the finances at United .

He had 1 year left I believe. How can we pay 60m is beyond me. I think he will come good, could be a good option if Bruno continues that sloppy form, but my good these prices we pay

If we qualify for the Europa League next season, we'll have 8 group games to play. There's going to be plenty of game time for everyone if they're in the main squad of players.

Being able to rotate between Fernandes and Mount or the occasional opportunity to even play them together should be a blessing.

The club seem determined to break their own record of VDB being the weirdest signing made in the EPL

What injury does he have? Seems to be taking forever to heal

We should be looking to move on Casemiro and Bruno in Summer if we are serious about getting to back to top and also to reset the finances at United .

Maybe, I think that both can still offer a lot in the right system, but the money is definitely a problem. The PSR rules seem to have real teeth, United and the rest of the EPL will need a stronger home grown focus.

We have paid £60m for a guy that hasnt played 3 games in a row the whole season.
Either he is benched or he is injured.

I mean, i really hope he can become a regular first team player, but it has been a really bad start for him.
Come to think of it i cant remember any player that has cost us £60m that has had a first season like this.
Lets hope he can recover and start playing soon.

He had 1 year left I believe. How can we pay 60m is beyond me. I think he will come good, could be a good option if Bruno continues that sloppy form, but my good these prices we pay
Yep, and the irritating thing is that we were all saying it at the time. Onana has turned out terribly but at least there was a clear plan there.

What was the plan with Mason? I'd like to see him given a run at RW when he gets back to see if he can replicate his Chelsea form there.

There must always be... a Bench King.

I defended ETH on many many issues mainly because I think that United's football side of things are a joke but also because I don't think that there are many good managers available. However there are two things I can't understand

a- This obsession of his to play two advanced AMs. Whether its Mount, Eriksen, McT and Mainoo our second CM is given too much licence to roam forward. That's ok if United had a prime Roy Keane (though SAF made sure he'll get help with Becks and Giggs drifting deeper then Rashford and Antony do) but it makes zero sense with an ageing Casemiro. The gap between Defense and CM is huge.

b- why he insist on having 2 inside forwards who barely ever pass the ball? The only winger we had who was given that license was prime Ronaldo and we countered that with Gaz at his back, Carrick and Scholes dropping deep, Ji Sung 10 lungs Park on the other side and Rooney + Tevez dropping deep like men possessed. Needless to say that none of our flank men are anywhere near to prime Ronaldo and the only guy who possess the Rooney/Tevez workrate is Bruno.

I'd love to see those issues sorted and possibly see us add a RB who can attack and defend. There's so much talent in Mainoo. Just add a decent DM near him and let Mainoo develop into a hardworking playmaker/DM and I believe we'll see a far better United

Maybe, I think that both can still offer a lot in the right system, but the money is definitely a problem. The PSR rules seem to have real teeth, United and the rest of the EPL will need a stronger home grown focus.

There is no way that Bruno leaves,however could see Casemiro going if the opportunity to get that right profile to partner Kobbie arises

Yep, and the irritating thing is that we were all saying it at the time. Onana has turned out terribly but at least there was a clear plan there.

What was the plan with Mason? I'd like to see him given a run at RW when he gets back to see if he can replicate his Chelsea form there.
Initially I thought Ten Hag was gonna use him to faze out Fernandez but he seems intent on playing them together.

Does no journalist ask ETH where this guy actually is? Is he injured or is it something else?
They do...Had a calf injury and he's back in light training since Dec + sounds like he'll be back in near future now. Seems quite a standard injury? Not like the mystery of Malacia.

Initially I thought Ten Hag was gonna use him to faze out Fernandez but he seems intent on playing them together.
Which I hope he's given up on as Kobbie is better in central midfield with Casemiro and McTominay provides more goal threat. I fear with bought an expensive squad player but who knows how long Bruno can go on for he's played a lot of football in these last few seasons