Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Does feel like a VDB signing. Barely playing and when he does, he’s been bad. Not even an assist yet if I’m not mistaken?

Like VDB too, not many people saw the rationale behind the signing either

But if he is going to end up a good signing they’re doing the right thing by giving him as much time as possible to return and not risking another spell out by rushing him back

The only reason I can think of for signing this guy is, in the medium term, the club is planning to sell Bruno.

Mount's best position is the one Bruno plays. Mount and Bruno in midfield is too lightweight.

Mount is not a deep playmaker or a midfield battler. We did not need him and, given how tight our FFP position was last summer, serious questions need to be asked about why we spent £50m on a profile of player we didn't need.

Right now, if Mainoo were absent for a few games, we'd have to change our entire playing style because we only have one of his type in the squad. Why didn't we get someone who could rotate with him with that £50m? More bizarre 'squad building'.

I swear it seems like some of you lot want this transfer to be a flop.

They do. You'll find it is the people that were against the transfer in the first place, so they want to be proven right, as though it gives them some kind of "I know best" credibility.

Some of the lads on here decided he didn't fit in their football manager system six months ago so have to bang on about it every chance they get now.

They do. You'll find it is the people that were against the transfer in the first place, so they want to be proven right, as though it gives them some kind of "I know best" credibility.
No idea what either of you are on about. What’s brought that on?

The killer is that none of this is "hindsight".

Ten Hag going balls-out to sign this guy, and spending 50+ million quid for a player with 1 year left on his contract, was questioned by most of us "clueless" fans at the time who could not see where he would fit into the team, and that the money, time and energy being spent trying to sign Mount might be better placed elsewhere.

But no, we were assured, Erik must have a plan for him, Erik knows best. Did he bollocks!

Ten Hag going balls-out to sign this guy, and spending 50+ million quid for a player with 1 year left on his contract, was questioned by most of us "clueless" fans at the time who could not see where he would fit into the team, and that the money, time and energy being spent trying to sign Mount might be better placed elsewhere.

But no, we were assured, Erik must have a plan for him, Erik knows best. Did he bollocks!
Yeah, stupid Erik for not knowing he'd get injured. What a moron.

60 million down the drain
Armchair fans, right again

100% - he's had a horribly injury hit first season at a massively dysfunctional club, and people are writing him off completely. It's nuts.

I still don't understand why we signed him, but he has a lot to offer and judging him on the last 9 months is stupid

Even if he returns fully fit. He is hindered by Bruno's incapability of being injured/tired and his captaincy status.

I think if he slotted in against wolves in Bruno's position he would have done well. I think it's unlikely he can do the second midfielder job well.

An academy understudy to Bruno in a more busy fixture schedule would probably be more ideal than a 60M signing of a talented player that can't displace Bruno.

I’d imagine a lot of our fans did not rate him prior to signing for us, like myself. It would be incredibly fickle to suddenly rate a footballer just because he’s transferred to the club. It’s up to Mount to change divisive opinions; and frankly, it’s not looking good so far.

I’d imagine a lot of our fans did not rate him prior to signing for us, like myself. It would be incredibly fickle to suddenly rate a footballer just because he’s transferred to the club. It’s up to Mount to change divisive opinions; and frankly, it’s not looking good so far.

It would be incredibly fickle to "suddenly rate" a footballer because you've bought him, absolutely.

There's a grand canyon sized difference between that and wanting him to flop in order to say "I told you so".

What’s his injury anyway? I read somewhere it’s a calf injury. Transfermarkt has it as unknown.

What’s his injury anyway? I read somewhere it’s a calf injury. Transfermarkt has it as unknown.

I'm still going with the one dude in this thread who said it was something more but couldn't elaborate :lol:

I'm still going with the one dude in this thread who said it was something more but couldn't elaborate :lol:
Ah that ITK claim. Read his post and closed the thread immediately. Didn’t bother coming in for the next few days. Hopefully that guy was just bullshitting though!

Textbook confirmation bias.

To make him look worse.
Well. No. Because that is a singular stat defaulter to a specific person. IE: If he takes all the corners, he’s naturally going to have his assist stat inflated relative to his teammates. Furthermore, if he has competent people on the end (Rudiger, etc), they additionally contribute to the inflation by virtue of scoring above the expected amount.

You can't move him on after one season, a season where he's been unfortunate with a number of setbacks.
Still hopeful he'll be a good signing for us.

I would love to see Mount given an opportunity in Bruno’s position. I wonder if it was him playing vs Wolves he’d play Hojlund through on those 2-3 occasions instead of passing wide.

I remember at Chelsea 2 or so years ago he was a very controlled and systematic player which would have suited the way we played on Thursday.

I would love to see Mount given an opportunity in Bruno’s position. I wonder if it was him playing vs Wolves he’d play Hojlund through on those 2-3 occasions instead of passing wide.

I remember at Chelsea 2 or so years ago he was a very controlled and systematic player which would have suited the way we played on Thursday.

You might be right mate. Thing is Bruno is never dropped or injured.

I'd like to see that too, but that's not going to happen unless Bruno is shifted out to the right wing where he's almost completely ineffective. Close to useless, even.

So, typical United, our only way of "solving" one problem (where to play Mount) is by creating another (playing Bruno out of position).

And he's not gonna drop Bruno.

Whilst unrealistic due to Bruno's standing in the team I'd like to see Mount and Mainoo as the two 8's with Casemiro behind. Would be even more interesting if we had De Jong type midfielder in Case's position.

It feels like we banked everything on Mount being some sort of answer to our need to have Eriksen's creativity, but with more mobility.
It obviously didn't work at all early season, then Mount has pretty much been injured since.

And makes it look like we've made the exact same Donny mistake a year on.

I'd like to see that too, but that's not going to happen unless Bruno is shifted out to the right wing where he's almost completely ineffective. Close to useless, even.

So, typical United, our only way of "solving" one problem (where to play Mount) is by creating another (playing Bruno out of position).

And he's not gonna drop Bruno.
What you stated is the reality but also what I feel is the problem at United.

Any return dates for him?

There seems to be a lot of mystery around our player injuries under ETH.