Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Unmitigated disaster of a transfer, and the worst thing is pretty much everyone outside the club saw it coming.

When you have to watch multiple 30 minute analysis videos from supposed football experts/tacticians, just to help you understand why the guy is actually good, it’s never a good sign.

I get the Bruno cover bit but it’s a lot of money to cover a player that plays 90 practically every game.

He doesn’t play the same position as Eriksen though.
He is a very much different footballer to Eriksen no ?

If you look at Eriksen history then he mostly played attacking mid roles just like Mount and even now for Denmark he plays more like #10 and never #8

ETH seems like converting this kind of player into a deeper central midfielder role, even Bruno has been pushed deeper on more than one occasion

Mount has a good engine and is ready to press more than Eriksen can manage at his age so in theory it makes sense but in practice it has not worked out

Still think it's too early to be writing Mount off though

I'd love to find out one day what the actual plan was for Mount. From the second we were linked it was obvious he didn't fit the system.

If you was to build a side around Mount (I'm not suggesting we should) what would it actually look like? I'm guessing a diamond where he could use his engine to shuttle up and down in one of the wide CM slots.

I think it would be more him in exactly the same role as we normally play Bruno, which is what makes the signing so baffling. On form he would offer a bit more consistency in terms of ball retention, but less creativity and goal threat. If Bruno had fallen out with Ten Hag then it would've made more sense, but still been a subpar signing as he's the type of player a team trying to break into the European places should be looking at building their team around, not a team trying and failing miserably to get back to winning titles.

I refuse to believe Mount was 'who he wants' after his time in Ajax and chasing Frenkie De Jong all last summer. More likely the board said sorry mate you can't have that fancy French or Italian wine you asked for but here's some English champagne. It's won awards you know.
Different positions really, de Jong was instead of Casemiro as a deep playmaker, Mount is to help press from the front from midfield and keep teams around their third of the pitch, that didn't work as we saw.

You work for MUFC ?
No, just saw with my own eyes Mount playing the exact same position and role for England in the WC, that ten Hag would play him in for United and it didn't work at all. There wasn't just me stating that Mount wasn't performing and should have been dropped.

He needs to be further up the pitch as a 10 but we already had Bruno who had that position held down.

I'm actually surprised how injury prone he's been since he's moved to United.

Different positions really, de Jong was instead of Casemiro as a deep playmaker, Mount is to help press from the front from midfield and keep teams around their third of the pitch, that didn't work as we saw.

No, just saw with my own eyes Mount playing the exact same position and role for England in the WC, that ten Hag would play him in for United and it didn't work at all. There wasn't just me stating that Mount wasn't performing and should have been dropped.

He needs to be further up the pitch as a 10 but we already had Bruno who had that position held down.

I'm actually surprised how injury prone he's been since he's moved to United.
Further injuries are to be expected when someone has been out for a few months as Mount was before we acquired him.

That coupled with the obvious issues United has in conditioning of players makes it even less of a surprise.

That's kind of the point isn't it? We couldn't get the top picks in that position so we got Mount and hoped he could do it. His first few appearances were sitting deep but he was atrocious so he was moved forward, and eventually moved all the way to the bench.

There were very few in this forum that wanted him, and that shows how ludicrous it was to spend so much time in the summer chasing him.

There were very few in this forum that wanted him, and that shows how ludicrous it was to spend so much time in the summer chasing him.

Spending £60 million on Mount with 5 years left on his contract would have been ludicrous. Spending £60 million on Mount with 1 year left on his contract should be a sackable offence to all that were involved in that deal.

Southgate’s insistence on constantly picking Mount for England used to annoy the shit out of me. A player that just didn’t seem to do anything other than run around.

If he was shit for England why would he suddenly look decent at United. Many of us knew this transfer was a big mistake last summer.

I refuse to believe Mount was 'who he wants' after his time in Ajax and chasing Frenkie De Jong all last summer. More likely the board said sorry mate you can't have that fancy French or Italian wine you asked for but here's some English champagne. It's won awards you know.
There were young players with more 'obvious' profiles in terms of physical power, ability to break the lines, decent passing, ability to play 6 and 8 etc who could have been signed from France or Germany for 20m less and no doubt substantially lower wages. Likewise, if he was so set on a promising no. 8 who he also had some familiarity with, then why not Gravenbach...again for 20m less? Why would the club have vetoed less expensive signings if, as seems to have been the case, they were otherwise backing the manager as far as the budget would stretch? In other words, Mount is almost completely on him - not being able to sign De Jong and only de Jong, of all players is no excuse....

ESPN via The Guardian is claiming that we're looking to move him in January.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...manchester-united-looking-move-mason-mount-on

I think it's a long shot, but if it were to happen it'd surely be the most embarrassing piece of transfer business in quite some time.

1. Drastically overpay for a player we didn't need after allowing a rival to hold us over a barrel on the fee
2. Dude barely plays for half a season
3. Sell him at what would surely wind up being a big loss

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...manchester-united-looking-move-mason-mount-on

I think it's a long shot, but if it were to happen it'd surely be the most embarrassing piece of transfer business in quite some time.

1. Drastically overpay for a player we didn't need after allowing a rival to hold us over a barrel on the fee
Doubt it's true, but honestly it would be preferable to admit to a transfer failure quickly rather than letting them rot in the squad for several years.

Whilst it would be good to take decisive action, this will surely be beyond embarrassing. Arguably should cost people their jobs.

I doubt this is true but I would certainly welcome us recognizing a mistake and shipping the player out quickly rather than wasting our and their time

So many of United's big money moves have been embarrassing over the last decade.
One of them is starting on the wing tonight

I doubt this is true but I would certainly welcome us recognizing a mistake and shipping the player out quickly rather than wasting our and their time
I don't think we can write Mount off yet, he's got enough about him as a player to succeed here. Just need to stop this awful 'hot take' culture in the caf of calling people shit when the whole team is dysfunctional. There are good players in the team and there are some less good players, Mount we don't really know how he'll turn out but he can still come good and be a starter at 8 in my opinion.

EtH waxed lyrical about the guy & multiple actual midfielders moved for less money in the Summer.

The whole finances around Mount (fee + wage) could, sorry would, have seen us buy a better midfielder for less all-in last Summer.

Mount epitomises EtH signings.

I don't think we can write Mount off yet, he's got enough about him as a player to succeed here. Just need to stop this awful 'hot take' culture in the caf of calling people shit when the whole team is dysfunctional. There are good players in the team and there are some less good players, Mount we don't really know how he'll turn out but he can still come good and be a starter at 8 in my opinion.

I saw nothing of Mount in his time at Chelsea and England to make me think there’s enough about him to succeed so I’m not as optimistic as you are in that regard and I’m happy to write him off and move him on

EtH waxed lyrical about the guy & multiple actual midfielders moved for less money in the Summer.

The whole finances around Mount (fee + wage) could, sorry would, have seen us buy a better midfielder for less all-in last Summer.

Mount epitomises EtH signings.
Mount was on loan to Vitesse at one point and apparently was MoTM against ETH's Ajax. Fits ETH obsession with signing players from Dutch league. Cannot see how our scouts went for Mount out of the global talent pool.

I saw nothing of Mount in his time at Chelsea and England to make me think there’s enough about him to succeed so I’m not as optimistic as you are in that regard and I’m happy to write him off and move him on
No one has ever seen anything of Mason Mount as a Number 8 to make them think there’s enough for him to succeed at United.

Sorry there is one person, Ten Hag.

Yeah, no way we sell up in January.

We never sell players early. We'll really struggle to find someone to pay a fee we'd consider appropriate and match his salary, anyway.

That's fair enough, I will point out though that he's only started a handful of games and so would think for any player, even if you're not sold on them, being trained into a new role you at least wait until they've had a decent run in a non injury battered team. There's no prizes for being 'right' on the caf despite how many posters behave.

Mount was on loan to Vitesse at one point and apparently was MoTM against ETH's Ajax. Fits ETH obsession with signing players from Dutch league. Cannot see how our scouts went for Mount out of the global talent pool.
Exactly.

I like EtH but there’s a weird cult beginning to surround him that is starting to move blame elsewhere for any failings.

You can say many things have been against him but signing Mason fecking Mount as a the big midfield signing after spending a year in the country is some of the most questionable business you will find.

Same way Liverpool and Arsenal were both in for him. Oddly we did Liverpool a favour as they went for Szoboszlai instead.

He'll be costing a fortune. Significant transfer fee for a player with a year left and he'll be earning £200k, easy. The Italian would have been cheaper.

I have never been able to work out what he is or what he's good at. I assumed it was because I', not bright enough to see what he actually does, given all the hype around him and the top clubs linked to him, as well as being a regular for England.

I am still none the wiser.

Genuinely forget he was at the club.

But all Mount has to do is get himself ahead of McTom, if that task it too great then there is no hope for him.

The team has potential to move on very quickly with the emergence of Mainoo (plus the 25% takeover) so Mount really needs to get himself going before the summer otherwise he might be the new Donny.

If we had owners who gave a toss, heads would roll for the disastrous recruitment that has been going on

We have more, ‘that’s such a bizarre transfer’ transfers than we do normal transfers

Genuinely forget he was at the club.

But all Mount has to do is get himself ahead of McTom, if that task it too great then there is no hope for him.

The team has potential to move on very quickly with the emergence of Mainoo (plus the 25% takeover) so Mount really needs to get himself going before the summer otherwise he might be the new Donny.

remember-me.gif

If we had owners who gave a toss, heads would roll for the disastrous recruitment that has been going on
It’s such an odd world. Spending hundreds of millions on failed projects would get the board slung out by most businesses, but we do it over and over again with no recourse

In fairness, the CEO is going, Murtough is probably going and the Glazers are giving up sporting control of the club. I don’t know how many more heads can roll :lol: