Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Fellaini, Mata, Bruno, VDB, Eriksen and now Mount. I never understood the post SAF's era obsession with no 10s. Then you take in account the fact that we keep overspending in salaries/fees, the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffer, managers who keep popping in asking for full control over transfers despite having previously worked with DOFs and suddenly you start asking. Had we really done a rebuild? Or are we just sticking to the same people, with the same mentality and when things go bad we simply put the blame on the manager?
Even worse, it's an obsession with signing number 10s and then shoehorning them into entirely different roles that aren't good fits for them.

Even worse, it's an obsession with signing number 10s and then shoehorning them into entirely different roles that aren't good fits for them.

When you have 2 or 3 of them then That's bound to happen. No 10s do not come cheap so they have to be played. Its almost as if the people who gave advice to Woodward are still calling the shots

It's like we looked at the City model of playing one defensive guy and 2 more attacking mids, and thinking we can do the same.

He’s a good player. Give him a bit more time to settle in. The squad has been very unstable both in the back line, and everywhere actually.

Would like to see how he'll do as a Bruno replacement for a few games because don't think it'll ever work having both of them on the pitch.

I will let Mount start as RW in next game. Surely he will do better than Antony in the last match.

—————Amrabat—-Eriksen——————-

————————-Bruno—————————-

—Mount———-Rashford————Garnacho

How different would we be performing if Mount and Greenwood were our right wingers from January/summer?

I think very. Antony is confirmed as garbage at this point. Pellestri is a 3rd choice RW and Amad needs a loan when he's back from injury to get sharp again.

For this to happen though, Ten Hag would have to admit the Mount as CM was an expensive mistake, and it might be a bigger effort to reintegrate Greenwood into the club and squad.

But if we're talking about football only, I think those two would be our best right wingers who can play inside and balance out the out and out left wingers we have in Rashford and Garnacho.

Greenwoods showing signs in his play that he can recover and still play top level football. He will be a 100m pound player again within a couple of months of continuing to improve his conditioning.

Mount is doing ok. Not the problem currently

Do you mean warming the bench? Mount is not the problem because he is not playing. The reason that he is not playing, or no longer starting, is because it is a mistake right in the beginning. Mount is not good enough to replace Bruno, at best a backup. Mount is not a CMF, worse than Eriksen in that position.

When you have 2 or 3 of them then That's bound to happen. No 10s do not come cheap so they have to be played. Its almost as if the people who gave advice to Woodward are still calling the shots
"My advanced quarter-back will always play".

Probably

Do you mean warming the bench? Mount is not the problem because he is not playing. The reason that he is not playing, or no longer starting, is because it is a mistake right in the beginning. Mount is not good enough to replace Bruno, at best a backup. Mount is not a CMF, worse than Eriksen in that position.

Very hard to dispute what you've said here. Even though I thought he was much better than Eriksen in midfield at Fulham, the truth is neither is a genuine centre midfielder. We've ended up with both because they were gettable, just like in the case of Donny Van de Beek. Not a single one was actually ideal for the gap in our squad we have.

In truth, besides Mainoo and Amrabat (not even a permanent signing), we don't actually have any real box-to-box midfielders in our squad. IMO McTominay, like Bruno, Mount, Eriksen and Donny, is best playing ahead of midfield and arriving late in the box. While Casemiro can play the role but he excels as a defensive midfielder.

Despite several opportunities to re-shape the balance of our team we continue to stockpile attacking midfielders, while neglecting the positions we actually need to strengthen.

The club should never have agreed to sign Mount and it shows that we don't have a proper footballing structure. As any Director of Football worth their salt would've pointed to the surplus of attacking midfielders already and suggested we sign someone who can play in the heart of midfield. Instead, what has happened and what will continue to happen is, we will try and force Mount to play in a double pivot, just like Pogba and Eriksen before him. :rolleyes: Definition of insanity really.

Such a weird transfer to have been prioritised, and not a player we needed in my opinion, but I still think he will come good. We know he can perform in the Premier league and if we hadn't have started in such an awful position with injuries and been suffering a real lack of balance throughout the squad, he would have had a much better start.
He's running around trying to do far more than he should be and it's not coming off for him. I'm not sure he is even receiving clear instructions before being sent out because he is all over the place.
I think that at the minute he will be feeling a lot of pressure to perform and whilst some players relish it, I'm not sure that is going to be helping Mason. Stringing one or two good performances together will see him come into his own.

"My advanced quarter-back will always play".

Probably

Think about it as a manager. Your employer had just spent 50m-60m for a player whose going to be paid 60m throughout his entire contract. That signing was made either because of your suggestion or because some idiot DOF told you that its either this player or no one which is a problem considering that you desperately need bodies in CM. Can you imagine having given the thumbs up for a 120m bench warmer? Sure unless he adapts then eventually that's were the player will end up. However that can't be done from day 1 else shit will hit fan very very quickly (think of Ole with VDB or Mou with Fred)

Think about it as a manager. Your employer had just spent 50m-60m for a player whose going to be paid 60m throughout his entire contract. That signing was made either because of your suggestion or because some idiot DOF told you that its either this player or no one which is a problem considering that you desperately need bodies in CM. Can you imagine having given the thumbs up for a 120m bench warmer? Sure unless he adapts then eventually that's were the player will end up. However that can't be done from day 1 else shit will hit fan very very quickly (think of Ole with VDB or Mou with Fred)

very much doubt this was the case

Think there's a good player in there but he's suffering from the low confidence virus spreading across the team. I think we could give him a run at RW, he could definitely do a better job than Antony. We didn't really need to sign him but that doesn't make him a bad player.

very much doubt this was the case

It could be either way. What I know is that our negotiators are horrible and that despite our army of data analysts and scouts we still suffer from the same mistakes we had during Woodward. Its almost we're still run by his own people.....oh wait.

How different would we be performing if Mount and Greenwood were our right wingers from January/summer?

I think very. Antony is confirmed as garbage at this point. Pellestri is a 3rd choice RW and Amad needs a loan when he's back from injury to get sharp again.

For this to happen though, Ten Hag would have to admit the Mount as CM was an expensive mistake, and it might be a bigger effort to reintegrate Greenwood into the club and squad.

But if we're talking about football only, I think those two would be our best right wingers who can play inside and balance out the out and out left wingers we have in Rashford and Garnacho.

Greenwoods showing signs in his play that he can recover and still play top level football. He will be a 100m pound player again within a couple of months of continuing to improve his conditioning.

Players need loans now to get sharp again? Will Shaw and Martinez also require one? Amad should be able to compete for the RW spot because Antony is the worst player to ever touch a football (that is what this forum thinks anyway), Sancho is playing videogames and Pelestri just lacks the talent.

Think about it...
I was referring to your point that it seemed like those advising Woodward / part-taking in the decision-making were still around.

Hint: I didn't say #10 or trequartista but advanced quarter-back

Why do people keep suggesting he should play on the right? He has none of the qualities you’d want from a winger, apart from the very occasional good cross. He’s be dreadful there, even worse than Antony imo.

Why do people keep suggesting he should play on the right? He has none of the qualities you’d want from a winger, apart from the very occasional good cross. He’s be dreadful there, even worse than Antony imo.

Genuine question, how could he or anyone be worse than Antony right now?

Genuine question, how could he or anyone be worse than Antony right now?
As poor as Antony is, he’s at least visible which is more than you can say for Mount. Neither are the answer but as we’ve seen with Bruno, putting attacking midfielders on the wing makes us even worse in attack.

As poor as Antony is, he’s at least visible which is more than you can say for Mount. Neither are the answer but as we’ve seen with Bruno, putting attacking midfielders on the wing makes us even worse in attack.
Hes visible because what he does is often shit.

Funny thread this…. Perfect example of the binary opinions that the caf usually serves up…

Absolute doom merchants or blind positivity…

That’s not a dig btw… I’m guilty of both regularly.

But with Mason Mount… any compliment, hope, positivity, etc. about the good he can bring to this team is the blindest of blind fandom.

Can anyone actually reference a single good thing he has done on a football pitch in the last 2 seasons?…

Everyone thought it was a crap signing before it happened … and it is turning out to be a crap signing now it has.

May as well just make your peace with it. It’s the hope that kills ya in the end!

Really want to see an extended period of him over on the right wing. Antony offers nothing. Mount can at least put some right footed crosses in for hojlund to attack.

Players need loans now to get sharp again? Will Shaw and Martinez also require one? Amad should be able to compete for the RW spot because Antony is the worst player to ever touch a football (that is what this forum thinks anyway), Sancho is playing videogames and Pelestri just lacks the talent.

You genuinely think a decent season in the Championship means he would be a better right winger than Mount or Greenwood would be? Amad didn't show anything spectacular in his limited time at United either so I wouldn't put him ahead of some of the other contenders for the position.

If after a long time out you feel he's going to come in and be our best right winger immediately then fair play to you, but I disagree.

Really want to see an extended period of him over on the right wing. Antony offers nothing. Mount can at least put some right footed crosses in for hojlund to attack.
A ridiculous suggestion but doesnt mean ETH wont do it. He is not a right winger. We currently have at least 3 in the first team squad, if not 4. Maybe play one of those instead of Antony.

Maybe the danger of watching the Beckham documentary (I know the game has changed!) but would just love for a right footed right winger to be pinging crosses in for Hoijland.

Also remember Ruud van Nistelrooy on the Overlap - he says he used to make blind runs because he knew Scholes would constantly find him. Hoijland probably won't be making them (even if he was) as no one is looking to find him.