Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Are we at the stage now where we pretend the manager never wanted him?

Every bad signing is a club signing and every good signing is the manager’s signing. Has been the case for the entire post SAF era according to our fanbase

I genuinely don't know what players some were watching when so many on here were confidently saying Mount was better. Same when people said Donny and Sancho were better signings than Grealish would be.
Blind hope and optimism I suppose. Speaking up about it when he signed just raised criticism about football knowledge and credited those as naysayers. Hard to argue against people who actually watch a lot more football but still can’t tell the good from the bad.

Every bad signing is a club signing and every good signing is the manager’s signing. Has been the case for the entire post SAF era according to our fanbase

Well, Antony is clearly the manager's signing. I think Mount was the affordable available option forwarded by Murtough and his team.

The ironic thing is if the club had refused ETH's desire for him and signed some actual midfielder (anyone, even a shit one), a section of our fanbase would have labeled it "not backing the manager".

Backing the manager around here means giving him everything he wants and not challenging him even when he's making an obviously stupid decision.

Nonsense, they don't even play the same position. Casemiro was the option they went for after FDJ. Can his fanboys stop with the lies?

Actually, Mount has constantly been played out of position. He plays the same position as Bruno, so that’s not happening.

Exactly, the repeated news all summer was Mount was ETH's first choice midfield signing

Where do you think this repeated news comes from?

Ten Hag has persisted with every other signing no matter how they played and he has seemingly given up on Mount after 5 games.

Every players are managers signing! until proven otherwise by the Manager himself.

What a pointless signing this has been.

I remember reading that ETH was obsessed with signing Mount as he saw him as pivotal to the system he wanted to play.

But once again there are posters on here that will do anything to deflect away from an underperforming manager.

Experiment was shortly lived, not good enough to play central midfield and is of better use closer to the goal. Doesn't compliment Bruno.

Don’t know what you guys were watching but mount was actually good today in terms of passing the ball forward. Much better than Bruno’s build up plays

Experiment was shortly lived, not good enough to play central midfield and is of better use closer to the goal. Doesn't compliment Bruno.

Saying how good Bruno is would be lovely, but not sure that's important?

Unless you meant complement? :drool: :lol:

Looked lively when he came on. Unfortunately, his position has been taken by McT because he looks like our only player who can score a goal.

Mount did pretty well when he came on. Probably the best he's looked for us, which admittedly isn't saying much. However, he played his part in adding a bit of intensity.

Fellaini, Mata, Bruno, VDB, Eriksen and now Mount. I never understood the post SAF's era obsession with no 10s. Then you take in account the fact that we keep overspending in salaries/fees, the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffer, managers who keep popping in asking for full control over transfers despite having previously worked with DOFs and suddenly you start asking. Had we really done a rebuild? Or are we just sticking to the same people, with the same mentality and when things go bad we simply put the blame on the manager?

I remember reading that ETH was obsessed with signing Mount as he saw him as pivotal to the system he wanted to play.

But once again there are posters on here that will do anything to deflect away from an underperforming manager.

The problem with this is that the system ETH wants to play doesn't work, and now Mount is taking the fall for it.

I got a load of shite in the Mount performance thread for suggesting Mctominay would end up playing ahead of him, but it just seemed obvious as Mount has zero physical presence and isnt a midfielder. The only player in midfield he can play instead of is Fernandes, and he's not even near the same level so that's a non starter.

Genuinely think this has been the start of all our issues this season. ETH trying to force unworkable tactics on a team with fragile confidence levels.

I will be nitpick here. ETH may want these players, but he doesn't decide the fee. They don't have alternative to suggest and choose the easy way by using club transfer budget irresponsibly , so they can keep the head coach happy.

So even if the "directors" try to shift the blame to ETH, these muppets still deserve bigger share of the blame. Let a manager bully you around when your role is supposed to be the boss is a sign of incompetency in the highest order.

The fee for Mount was never going to be less than we paid so I think ETH has to take the blame on this signing.

The fee for Mount was never going to be less than we paid so I think ETH has to take the blame on this signing.
How so? He only had one year left on his contract. If there is a time to ride hard bargain, it should have been this time, especially for a player who was mostly out of form last season, and never a superstar.

How so? He only had one year left on his contract. If there is a time to ride hard bargain, it should have been this time, especially for a player who was mostly out of form last season, and never a superstar.

Apparently that's what we did. Chelsea wanted 65 mil originally and we held out to the date that Chelsea had to sell for fair play purposes.

Apparently that's what we did. Chelsea wanted 65 mil originally and we held out to the date that Chelsea had to sell for fair play purposes.
Mount was our first signing this summer. Should have held out until the deadline like we usually do for many of our key signings the pre date ETH reign.