Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I'm OK with it as long as there's a plan for him. There are lots of examples of big players who needed almost a whole season before they became key. Grealish being one example.
Bedding into Pep’s City & EtH’s United are 2 totally different propositions, I understand you’ve chosen this hill to die on but it’s not looking good for Mount at all.

See you in a year when mount is a key player in our treble winning side :rolleyes:

Bedding into Pep’s City & EtH’s United are 2 totally different propositions, I understand you’ve chosen this hill to die on but it’s not looking good for Mount at all.

See you in a year when mount is a key player in our treble winning side :rolleyes:
Ive not chosen any hill to die on. Players can often take up to a season to bed in, I just gave Grealish as a random example. If you want to ignore it that's fine too.

Something seriously wrong if your showpiece signing and no7 can’t get a game in the biggest match of the season. Chelsea laughed all the way to the bank, and then wasted it in shite players themselves of course

I'll never understand how our manager thought:
He was a good player
He'd compliment our current midfield regardless
He was worth over £50m in the last year of his contract
He would be a better signing than Maddison

This signing, on top of an already appalling track record of transfers, is going to cost him his job. At least the other signings made sense. Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro, etc, are all crap signings but they were at least bought to address actual holes in the squad. Mount was as pointless as they come.

Sad state of affairs when Liverpool fans were happy that they were not signing him, some level headed Utd fans thought about how this signing made no sense but the management and the clueless manager couldn't.

Something seriously wrong if your showpiece signing and no7 can’t get a game in the biggest match of the season. Chelsea laughed all the way to the bank, and then wasted it in shite players themselves of course
:lol: :(

Difficult to judge Mount as I am not smart enough to understand what he is supposed to do. Was his task to run around up top and press City? Surely out coaches aren't that stupid.

99% could see he was a nothing player when he was at Chelsea. How can a manager not see the same?

Ive not chosen any hill to die on. Players can often take up to a season to bed in, I just gave Grealish as a random example. If you want to ignore it that's fine too.
The irony is you’re ignoring the fact most players don’t go on to have Grealosh’s trajectory at a club aswell as the fact that integrating into Pep’s city as opposed to cracking our woeful midfield is barely comparable.

I’ll bring supplies up the hill for you again in a few weeks. . .

I'm OK with it as long as there's a plan for him. There are lots of examples of big players who needed almost a whole season before they became key. Grealish being one example.

The "plan" was to field Casemiro, Bruno and Mount as a 3.

But we were absolutely run off the pitch by all sorts so had to immediately bin it and get Amrabat in.

I’m far from his biggest fan and seriously questioned this signing but from seeing him up close I can’t help but think he could do a far better job than he’s showing so far. He’s one of them signings that if Liverpool had made everyone would be saying why the feck didn’t we just spend the £60m on Mount. The problem is the environment for the most part.

Szoboszlai is 2-3 times the player he is and was bought for a similar fee. We have been robbed. Mount is a painfully average Lingard replacement. ETH should never be given authority over transfers again.

I swear I miss the old jokes about Tom Cleverley providing no penetration from midfield whatsoever. Mount is a lot worse than Cleverley at providing feck all from midfield.

Gotta hand it to Erik though he managed to convince everyone at the club that Mount could be our 8.

Gotta hand it to Erik though he managed to convince everyone at the club that Mount could be our 8.
He doesn't play as #8. Bruno sometimes plays as #8, Mount had been deployed very high up and as part of attacking formation.

He may not be suited for that midfield role anyway, it's just we have not seen him in midfield yet. What probably adds to the mystery of this transfer.

Szoboszlai is 2-3 times the player he is and was bought for a similar fee. We have been robbed. Mount is a painfully average Lingard replacement. ETH should never be given authority over transfers again.
Klopp wanted to sign Mount though. I've no doubt if he'd gone to the scousers he'd look a lot better in their well oiled machine. There aren't many players who would shine in our dysfunctional mess of a team

Money well wasted, not even Mount as his best Chelsea form is what we needed. If us, armchair fans can spot this issue a mile away, wtf are the guys responsible for this pointless transfer doing ?

Next time we want to sign one of these flashy 'system players', it would be good to remind ourselves that we don't have a working system.

This and Antony are sackable offences really. How can you trust him to spend anything more when literally everyone man and his dog saw this coming in the summer.

I'm convinced the only reason United signed him because he was only 8-10-ish that available and could've signed him quickly for the tour. ETH wanted to play high pressing formation so he wanted someone fast.
The fecking issue is neither club nor ETH considered player's other skillset to be an important factor. As long as it's "attainable and can be done quickly" it's all they needed, system comes later

Signing just highlight how absurd we do business, really...It's like a kid playing Football manager

Last edited:
I'm convinced the only reason United signed him because he was only 8-10-ish that available and could've signed him quickly for the tour. ETH wanted to play high pressing formation so he wanted someone fast.
The fecking issue is neither club nor ETH considered player's other skillset to be an important factor. As long as it's "attainable and can be done quickly" it's all they needed.
I said this in the summer. This move stank of one that was doable instead of whether or not it should be done

It's not gone very well so far has it. I wanted to believe I'd got him very wrong as a player, and I'm not going to write him off yet, as I have seem glimmers, but he like many others, might as well not have been on the pitch today.

Absolutely crazy that instead of getting rid of van de beek, we doubled down and signed his English clone.

The fecking issue is neither club nor ETH considered player's other skillset to be an important factor. As long as it's "attainable and can be done quickly" it's all they needed, system comes later

Signing just highlight how absurd we do business, really...It's like a kid playing Football manager
James Madison was available for cheaper fee. If anything, Madison skillset would be easier to transit to deeper role with coaching like Eriksen. Can dribble, and know when the ball/play would drop and where should it go to make the play fluid, so he provide that midfield/ maestro presence that teammate can find him with passes. Whereas Mount is just a cog in a machine type of player.

James Madison was available for cheaper fee. If anything, Madison skillset would be easier to transit to deeper role with coaching like Eriksen. Can dribble, and know when the ball/play would drop and where should it go to make the play fluid, so he provide that midfield/ maestro presence that teammate can find him with passes. Whereas Mount is just a cog in a machine type of player.

Not taking Maddison at 40 and singing Mount for 60 was utterly baffling and frankly quite concerning from our club.

Without just rattling off the cliches….

“he does a lot that goes into unnoticed by fans!”

“He’s great off the ball”

“he presses high”

what is this guys actually good at?

Ive watch him dozens of times and never seen him look anything other than anonymous.

I honestly can’t remember seeing him in the second half after he’d come on

Not taking Maddison at 40 and singing Mount for 60 was utterly baffling and frankly quite concerning from our club.

I would hold my hand up for shame because I did not want Madison myself, before it dawned on me that we're signing Mount. I meant I would prefer signing a proper natural midfielder as we're spending a decent fee already. Hipster changing player position can come at later time (for Madison and Mount type of signing). Somehow we end up of worst of both worlds.