Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

The eye test? I welcome you to the year 2023. We have computers. They are magical machines made of sand and powered by lightning.
I'm sorry but stats can make any player look good, if that player has a passing accuracy of 100% but the passes made are sideways and backwards, he's not use.

Anyone could see Mount shouldn't be playing CM for United or England.

Agree with others that there's not point trying to shoehorn him into a role he's not cut out for. He should be starting at 10 against City in place of an underperforming Bruno, but isn't going to. The captaincy armband is the only thing keeping Bruno in the team right now.

Mount is a good player but for the wrong club. So anyone think Mount can replace (last season's) Eriksen? We need a DMF or box2box MF, the money for Casemiro + Mount, we could have settle for Rice + Amrabat.

I'm sorry but stats can make any player look good, if that player has a passing accuracy of 100% but the passes made are sideways and backwards, he's not use.

Anyone could see Mount shouldn't be playing CM for United or England.
And the stats god said " let there be progressive passes and distance covered by passes stats", and there were these stats and it was good.

Dude, you read like a very ignorant person.

Got hammered on here for saying this was a poor signing and it’s proving such. Easily could of paid the extra money and gone for Rice. Bellingham was always going to Madrid but he would obviously be first choice. Murtogh and Ten Hag wasted a huge chunk of the budget when he is no better than what we had tbh.

Why do you think this was a poor signing? Because of the quality (ability) of the player?; or the fact that it's become quite evident that our esteemed manager doesn't have the faintest clue how to accomodate him into Manchester Utd?

Mason Mount is better than SMT. I would say he is a better player than Amrabat from what I have seen. I actually would drop Bruno for him, and do you know why? Firstly, because Bruno goes missing in too many games, has a questionable attitude on the pitch which is someone who complains, rather than inspires... and secondly Bruno is out of form.

Mason Mount and Eriksen should be ahead of Bruno for the No 10 position. Mount has not even been given the opportunity to show what he can do. Every, every player needs games. Not seven minutes at the end of the odd-match! How some can judge Mount based on how ETH has used him thus far is beyond me.

I say again, Mason Mount is a good footballer, and a decent manager would, if they knew what they were doing, make sure that he adds something to the side. Put Mason Mount into that City team, or Liverpool... I would add Spurs, Brighton, Newcastle, to that list and you see a player there. I am not suggesting he is Ballon'D'or .. but he's a good footballer. Hard working, clever, responsible, technically good on the ball, and a genuine goal-threat. A good Mason Mount is a headache for the opposition because he's a dangerous player.

But look at his treatment by ETH? It's nothing short of a joke.

The only forward (exc. Hojlund) on our roster capable of following tactical instructions?

Yep 80m for a winger that doesn't score or create but wait he follows instructions. The Manchester united analytics team is out of this world.

Has he ever played off the right before? Antony is in very poor form at the moment and Bruno playing out wide doesn't work, so it may be worth doing the square peg round hole thing again.

And the stats god said " let there be progressive passes and distance covered by passes stats", and there were these stats and it was good.

Dude, you read like a very ignorant person.

Mount has fewer progressive passes per 90 than Harry Maguire this season.

Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro, and Amrobat have all managed at least double per 90 compared to him.

Has he ever played off the right before? Antony is in very poor form at the moment and Bruno playing out wide doesn't work, so it may be worth doing the square peg round hole thing again.
He has played on the right occasionally but mainly played no.10 or left of attack so he’s more back up for Bruno and Rashford

Pep signs players and waits a season until they are good enough to fit in with his team and nobody says a word. How do we know Erik isn't taking his time to allow him to acclimatise to our team and will play him when he is as shit as the rest?

Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro, and Amrobat have all managed at least double per 90 compared to him.

What a slewed stat to use. It's hardly surprising he has less progressive passes compared to those players considering how high he pushes up and his positioning. I can only assume you don't know what counts as a progressive pass.

Aside from Bruno who just pings the ball forward at every opportunity, all these players have been played deeper than him in the games he's played. Stands to reason that they would play the ball forward more.

Pep signs players and waits a season until they are good enough to fit in with his team and nobody says a word. How do we know Erik isn't taking his time to allow him to acclimatise to our team and will play him when he is as shit as the rest?

Klopp signs players and doesn’t even let them train with the first team until they are fit enough and have had their asthma diagnosis confirmed.

With the exception of Bruno (who is our best player and the best creator in the league), all other mentioned players are expected to have more progressive passes since they play from further back and are facing more of the field. CBs are generally among the players with the most progressive stats.

What are you trying to prove here?

I think it's a weird situation. Bruno is (one of) our best player, but i think it's easier to build a better, more balanced midfield around Mount.

Why do you think this was a poor signing? Because of the quality (ability) of the player?; or the fact that it's become quite evident that our esteemed manager doesn't have the faintest clue how to accomodate him into Manchester Utd?

Mason Mount is better than SMT. I would say he is a better player than Amrabat from what I have seen. I actually would drop Bruno for him, and do you know why? Firstly, because Bruno goes missing in too many games, has a questionable attitude on the pitch which is someone who complains, rather than inspires... and secondly Bruno is out of form.

Mason Mount and Eriksen should be ahead of Bruno for the No 10 position. Mount has not even been given the opportunity to show what he can do. Every, every player needs games. Not seven minutes at the end of the odd-match! How some can judge Mount based on how ETH has used him thus far is beyond me.

I say again, Mason Mount is a good footballer, and a decent manager would, if they knew what they were doing, make sure that he adds something to the side. Put Mason Mount into that City team, or Liverpool... I would add Spurs, Brighton, Newcastle, to that list and you see a player there. I am not suggesting he is Ballon'D'or .. but he's a good footballer. Hard working, clever, responsible, technically good on the ball, and a genuine goal-threat. A good Mason Mount is a headache for the opposition because he's a dangerous player.

But look at his treatment by ETH? It's nothing short of a joke.

Never said he was a poor player but a poor signing. Major difference.Mounts best Position is number 10. We already had Bruno who is a far more complete player.

I know Bruno has his critics numbers wise by far our most consistent attacking performer in this banter era. I am not one of these fans with short memories who suddenly wants him dropped. He won us so many games especially under Ole and last season. Just having a bad spell like the whole squad is thats on the manager and coaching.

You talk about other teams: I don’t think he gets anywhere near the City team or has the technical ability to play under Pep thats them ruled out.

Spurs have Maddison who offers far more as a ten in terms of creativity .

Liverpool in a klopp system he might of actually of done well there agreed. But they got McAlister who is a better all around player for half the transfer fee. Annoyingly good business from them

Mount cost 65 million like I said originally pay the bit extra for Rice who in a double pivot with Casemiro would of been a much better fit.

Clubs transfer window has been an absolute shambles. Groundhog day everytime we get back into the champions league we don’t go and get the signings to take us to a serious title challenge. We always take two back. It’s frustrating.

Last edited:
So much for the professionals knowing more about football than we do.

Everyone on the cafe and their nan knew Mount wasn’t what we need in the summer. We all saw this coming.

However, surprised to see him dropped this early. Thought he would be in the team till at least Christmas. Guess the manager is hanging on for dear life right now and can’t afford passangers.

Do Al-Nassr need an attacking midfielder by any chance.

So much for the professionals knowing more about football than we do.

Everyone on the cafe and their nan knew Mount wasn’t what we need in the summer. We all saw this coming.

However, surprised to see him dropped this early. Thought he would be in the team till at least Christmas. Guess the manager is hanging on for dear life right now and can’t afford passangers.

Do Al-Nassr need an attacking midfielder by any chance.
I think the professionals do know better in most cases but at united it's not any expertise we have in scouting and analytics is used. We have gone all in on recruiting players eth wants to fit what seems like a flawed tactical plan

I think the professionals do know better in most cases but at united it's not any expertise we have in scouting and analytics is used. We have gone all in on recruiting players eth wants to fit what seems like a flawed tactical plan
And we were told in the summer that ETH knows more about football than we do so the fan base should back any signings he makes.

I actually think Mount can end up being a decent squad player. He certainly has a higher ceiling than Sancho or Antony.

He’s just not the signing we needed or the signing that would have improved us.

If the manager was that desperate to sign him then he should of waited till next summer when we could have gotten him on a free.

It makes no sense. There must be a reason he‘s not playing that we are not aware of. He‘s not even coming off the bench.

Neither is Mejbri which is also concerning.

It makes no sense. There must be a reason he‘s not playing that we are not aware of. He‘s not even coming off the bench.

Neither is Mejbri which is also concerning.
Surely in Mount's case it's because he's been utter garbage and a waste of a player. He offers nothing other than that he can run around. I mean Fred could do that and we'd have saved £55million.

McT has become flavour of the month for his two goals the other day but reality is I don't think ETH knows his best midfield especially with Bruno being dire and Mount being as bad if not worse since joining (appreciating he's been injured).

Eriksen has to start to give us an element of control in games for 60 minutes or as long as he lasts. Beyond that I've lost confidence in everyone and I think ETH has too.

Is there a single core quality to attacking midfield play that Maddison isn’t infinitely better than Mount at?…..

I dont believe for one second that he's already fallen out with the manager or that the manager chose him in the summer and has already given up on him in less than 10 matches. I think we'll find out he had an injury or personal issues

That doesnt mean I think he'll come good on his transfer. Just that I'd be surprised if the manager is so weak willed that he put his name on the line with a player and gave up so easily. Whether he turns out good or bad for us I think he'll play plenty of games for us over the next 2 years and may well outlast the manager

I dont believe for one second that he's already fallen out with the manager or that the manager chose him in the summer and has already given up on him in less than 10 matches. I think we'll find out he had an injury or personal issues

That doesnt mean I think he'll come good on his transfer. Just that I'd be surprised if the manager is so weak willed that he put his name on the line with a player and gave up so easily. Whether he turns out good or bad for us I think he'll play plenty of games for us over the next 2 years and may well outlast the manager

my suspicion is something along the following:
  • ETH decided he wanted to play this high press double 8 formation at all costs
  • His key criteria for signing was someone with elite pressing stats and last 3rd turnovers
  • Mount looked very attractive on a spreadsheet
  • Brings him into the team and the defensive foundations haven’t been solid enough to allow for a proper functioning 4141
  • And Mount himself has underwhelmed in his technical abilities on the ball (which was pretty predictable)
The frustrating thing is, on balance surely it’s much easier to coach an elite technician with good athleticism to be proficient at pressing, than coach a decent presser to be technically gifted. If he just wanted an elite presser for turnovers he should have just kept Fred.

The dangers of “Moneyball” type signings in football. For me, Mount never passed the eye test, and although I’d love him to prove me wrong, I doubt he ever will.

Last edited:
Astonishing that people can be writing off Mount after a handful of games yet the same people wanting to shoehorn McTomminey into to the side after about 200 games of being abysmal.