Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Many people called it in his transfer thread in the summer.

Firstly we called that the Casemiro-Mount-Bruno midfield would be horribly unbalanced. And once that was proven to be the case, Mount would end up as a Bruno back-up/utility player. And it's took 13 games for this to come to fruition. I got slaughtered in the transfer thread for negativity...

To be fair, Mount should be getting a run ahead of Bruno at the minute as Bruno is dreadful. At least Mount might not ruin every attack with a cheap loss of possession.
Bruno was excellent in the 2nd half tonight

Complete waste of money, had ten Hag watched England at the WC, he would have realised this also.

We should not be allowing ten Hag to control transfers going forward. Buying Mount and then promoting Mejbri and Mainoo who play the same position is very poor squad management.
There’s a fella in his 70’s coming in to the club looking to choose players from now on it’s all good

I think he deserves to play over McTominay or even Antony on the right. He really hasn't been that bad in what has been a team of underperformers.

Complete waste of money, had ten Hag watched England at the WC, he would have realised this also.

We should not be allowing ten Hag to control transfers going forward. Buying Mount and then promoting Mejbri and Mainoo who play the same position is very poor squad management.

Yes, because when Mount didn't play tonight then Mainoo and Mejbri played instead.

Maybe the player profile just didn't fit today's game. Especially under this pressure where we don't have the luxury to try out new playstyles.

I just unfortunately assume we’ll see the Case/Mount/Bruno three with McT dropping out.
Hm, OK. Let's see. I'm betting on a Bruno/Casemiro/Amrabat trio, with Mount coming on as a subb for Antony on 60/70 if we're not losing

Yes, because when Mount didn't play tonight then Mainoo and Mejbri played instead.

Maybe the player profile just didn't fit today's game. Especially under this pressure where we don't have the luxury to try out new playstyles.
ETH said to Scholes tonight that with the defensive players out we can’t control possession at the back as well and there are gaps in midfield. Explains why Mount is dropping out.

Mount can't play on the wing, that's just a fantasy.

And Bruno is actually more useful. Even while being shit, his stats hold up. Mount is pointless.
Bruno is very poor. Mount should play to see if he adds more

The fact that ten Hag didn't play him at all in such a big game tonight tells us that he knows he probably made a mistake. That's nothing on Mount, because I want it to work out, but every man and his dog said we needed a number 8, who had good ball retention and carried the ball well.

We saw the difference Eriksen made, not only tonight, but in previous games where he was subbed on. ten Hag should have bought a player who has similar attributes. Mount is not that player, and never will be, but he could certainly be a success as a number 10 in the same way Bruno played in the second half tonight. By that, I mean, running in behind the forward and getting on the end of things in the box.

Mount/Bruno
Playmaker Ball Winner

Similar to:

Van de Beek
De Jong Schone​

Should be on the right instead of Antony. Clear as day. A much better player.

Firstly we called that the Casemiro-Mount-Bruno midfield would be horribly unbalanced. And once that was proven to be the case, Mount would end up as a Bruno back-up/utility player. And it's took 13 games for this to come to fruition. I got slaughtered in the transfer thread for negativity...

To be fair, Mount should be getting a run ahead of Bruno at the minute as Bruno is dreadful. At least Mount might not ruin every attack with a cheap loss of possession.

Tbf it doesn't help Bruno when we have no midfield because ETH plays him and Mctominay in the same position.

He's dropped Mount but somehow still not understood what the issue with playing him and Bruno in the same system actually is.

He seems to have decided its Mount not playing well enough rather than the fact the system is broken which makes it impossible for anyone in our midfield to play well.

At this stage if I was him I’d start looking into tearing up my contract if I can’t get into that abomination of a midfield. It was staggering how bad Amrabat, Bruno and Mctominay were. And in Bruno’s case basically all season.

He may yet come good, I don't believe he's a write off yet, and I don't believe its fair to blame ETH entirely for the transfer when I believe it's been reported that Mount was actually a combination of the transfer "committee" as it were and ETH being in agreement with it on signing Mount

Bruno is poor and yet still producing numbers. Benching him for Mount of all people will be a ridiculous move.
2 goals 3 assist in 12 games isn’t really great numbers though, especially when considering the fact he has been so wasteful with possession. I wouldn’t say he is undroppable based on that.

That is a likely scenario, but if Mount is not playing now when Bruno is pants, when is he going to play? Not to mention Mount has more attributes that fit the #8/#10 role in 433 setup, while Bruno apparently can ONLY play as a lone #10 in front of two man midfield (and we don't play two man midfield, only when Eriksen comes on).

Also, if you make Bruno captain, a guy that has insane fitness and never ever gets injured, why would you buy Mount as his backup? All of this makes no sense, unless we were planning to use MM as a spare part to patch holes all over the midfield/attacking formation.

I never said they did. My point was in Mejbri we have the same profile of player as Mount, so we shouldn't have signed Mount and a young DM instead.

Nah, he is a bench player. That was the most obvious outcome of a transfer ever.

Painfully average in creating for an offensive player, inconsistent, invisible. Best traits are off the ball. Injury issues and shit last season at Chelsea red flags. With Bruno here, he was never going to succeed as a 10. As a winger or 8 neither, because he is not fast enough for a winger and hiding for an 8.

But he presses like a headless chicken :drool:
He is literally the best example of the classical overrated English player, he hasnt got it.

The fact that ten Hag didn't play him at all in such a big game tonight tells us that he knows he probably made a mistake. That's nothing on Mount, because I want it to work out, but every man and his dog said we needed a number 8, who had good ball retention and carried the ball well.

We saw the difference Eriksen made, not only tonight, but in previous games where he was subbed on. ten Hag should have bought a player who has similar attributes. Mount is not that player, and never will be, but he could certainly be a success as a number 10 in the same way Bruno played in the second half tonight. By that, I mean, running in behind the forward and getting on the end of things in the box.

Mount/Bruno
Playmaker Ball Winner

Similar to:

Van de Beek
De Jong Schone​
To the bolded part, it really doesn't.

EtH explained the reasoning behind the decision after the game, plus if he starts at City what does that now mean? That he knows he hasn't made a mistake??
There's no mistake as far as I am concerned, Mount is a good player, adaptable and flexible in many different positions. It's unfortunate he starts his United career when the team is in a mini crisis.

It kind of feels like Baily all over again. The manager who signed him refuses to play him.
A bit strange. You splash out 60 mil on a player to have him warming the bench

Nah, he is a bench player. That was the most obvious outcome of a transfer ever.

Painfully average in creating for an offensive player, inconsistent, invisible. Best traits are off the ball. Injury issues and shit last season at Chelsea red flags. With Bruno here, he was never going to succeed as a 10. As a winger or 8 neither, because he is not fast enough for a winger and hiding for an 8.

But he presses like a headless chicken :drool:
He is literally the best example of the classical overrated English player, he hasnt got it.
Asuming you are correct why the f... did our brilliant visionary (according to the CAF) sign him?

Him being dropped for a couple of games really doesn't mean anything. If it continues for a significant period of time then sure, but for now it's not a big deal at all.

ETH said to Scholes tonight that with the defensive players out we can’t control possession at the back as well and there are gaps in midfield. Explains why Mount is dropping out.
Which does make perfect sense...if he weren't being replaced by McTominay playing very high who is doing less to help out in that regard than Mount does.

Him being dropped for a couple of games really doesn't mean anything. If it continues for a significant period of time then sure, but for now it's not a big deal at all.

Which does make perfect sense...if he weren't being replaced by McTominay playing very high who is doing less to help out in that regard than Mount does.

There are problems all over the pitch, so the answer to one question wont explain the other ten problems.

McTom has started the last 2 games to try and address the lack of goals. But what you gain in goal threat you loose in midfield control.

But I agree Mount not starting 2 games is hardly back page news and only on the Cafe would the player and manager get slaughtered for it.

Exactly. Eth seems to recognizer the issues correctly and then acts against it. It is completely bizarre.

Also, not sure what he means we are unable to control possession at the back. I don't think this is our problem at all. Doing something with the possession though, it's a different matter.

We controlled possession just fine at the back, that was part of the problem. There was no clear route through, which was an issue even with Martinez and Shaw at various points in time. It's the coaching/instructions, but he'll never admit to that. He was banking on clubs pressing us and us being able to find pockets and quick transitional situations to create goals. Clubs have read him like a book and just allow us possession instead and block up routes through the middle to our hybrid 8/10s.

I don't see how that can be unfortunate since McT is shocking in midfield.
Because it doesn't work as a three, not saying McT should start but would rather we go for mobility/pressing ability given we will be going long ball anyway - so Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount

It kind of feels like Baily all over again. The manager who signed him refuses to play him.
A bit strange. You splash out 60 mil on a player to have him warming the bench
Mourinho signed Bailly didnt he? He played a lot in his debut season and in general was pretty good. Then injuries and poor form finished him off after that.

Mourinho signed Bailly didnt he? He played a lot in his debut season and in general was pretty good. Then injuries and poor form finished him off after that.
And that one mistake he made sealed it for him and after that Mourhino didnt want to play him. It actually boggles the mind he didn't get enough minutes when he was available and the same thing is happening to Mount.
Personally I was never a fan of Mount but at least give the man a string of games before judging him.

Agree with you. Put Mount on the wing and let him compete with Antony. I think he'd prove himself to be the better player.

I don't think he's ever dropping Rashford, Antony or Fernandes. Leaves ETH with the option of starting him in that terrible 3 man midfield with the two CMs pushed up way too high that he loves to play (and I think he will return to it at some point), or being a rotation player/fill in for injuries.