Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Not a bad player but wildly overpriced for what he's shown in the past and the fit to our team.

It's funny last season ETH chased FDJ around when he's not a good DM, we luckily get a great DM and now the profile of FDJ next to Cas and Bruno would make a strong midfield. Like Cas, Modric, Kroos. Instead we get Mount who is more akin to Lucas Vasquez. Obviously pricing differences and FDJ but being available but a finished midfield we do not have. Even someone like Tielemans would've been a better fit as a passing CM

He really isn't, though. Look at the prices players are going for: Lavia for over £50m; Caicedo in excess of £100m; West Ham rejected an £87m bid from City for Paqueta.

It is just the price of players, nowadays. Mount was Chelsea's player of the season twice in a row and topped both their goals and assists in 21/22.

He really isn't, though. Look at the prices players are going for: Lavia for over £50m; Caicedo in excess of £100m; West Ham rejected an £87m bid from City for Paqueta.

It is just the price of players, nowadays. Mount was Chelsea's player of the season twice in a row and topped both their goals and assists in 21/22.

Yeah with the recent prices for the midfielders - Paqueta in particular for like 85m, I think I can I assess the view on the price. Still don't think he's what we need, but we'll see.

Yeah with the recent prices for the midfielders - Paqueta in particular for like 85m, I think I can I assess the view on the price. Still don't think he's what we need, but we'll see.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. He definitely isn’t overpriced, he was a good price, but I just don’t think he’s what we needed this window.

He'll be the biggest "meh" this season in my opinion.

Everyone will just be like, erm, so he played I guess. Underwhelming, safe play and we will be looking at an upgrade in a year or so "to push us on to challenging"

Everyone will just be like, erm, so he played I guess. Underwhelming, safe play and we will be looking at an upgrade in a year or so "to push us on to challenging"
I’m not sure anything for you isn’t just one big meh

He’ll chip in with goals and assists, but I think his strength lies in assisting the assister if that makes sense.

Need a big game on Monday. Show everyone what you’re capable of.

I'm more concerned about his defensive ability, dictating possession and connecting the defence to the attack. If anything I think he may get a few goals and assists which will make people turn a blind eye to his deficiencies.

But it's a fairly new role for him so it's all just speculation at this point. And the team has a whole looks like it'll have a different setup to accommodate two 8s whose best work is close to the opposition box.

He is going to be the third man in a midfield of Bruno and Casemiro, and he is comfortably the worst of the three. I think that's what many of us wanted, certainly what i wanted for 60m, a player who was at least equal to the other two.
You think we’re going to sign someone for £60m in 2023 who is as good as those two? :wenger::lol:

I'm more concerned about his defensive ability, dictating possession and connecting the defence to the attack. If anything I think he may get a few goals and assists which will make people turn a blind eye to his deficiencies.
Yup, that's what I expect. He'll score some goals and so every time someone criticises him, posters will hit back with "but goals from midfield!"

Seasons not even started and i see posters already getting on Mounts back. Ffs get behind the players, new and old give them a chance before you make up your tiny minds.
supporters my arse.

No, people's main problem is they have already seen him play week in week out and know there is nothing special there. A good player who will work hard but little else.

A foreign player may or not be better. With Mount we know what we are getting and it's not exactly thrilling.

So if he doesn't offer much else than hard work, how did he get 11 goals and 10 assists in 2300 minutes (a full season is around 3400 mins) in a PL season? Those numbers are better than Bruno's. I'm curious to hear what you have to say about this.

You think we’re going to sign someone for £60m in 2023 who is as good as those two? :wenger::lol:
He is on his last year of his contract. We just bought Casemiro for the same price. If he does not raise his game, he should expect nothing but hard criticism. He is on insane wages, iconic shirt number and 60m with only one year left. So yes, he should be as good as them.

He is on his last year of his contract. We just bought Casemiro for the same price. If he does not raise his game, he should expect nothing but hard criticism. He is on insane wages, iconic shirt number and 60m with only one year left. So yes, he should be as good as them.

What's insane about £200k? Sancho is on £375k ffs :lol: How is the price tag his fault? Chelsea didn't want to sell him.

The logic in your posts are so twisted.

What's insane about £200k? Sancho is on £375k ffs :lol: How is the price tag his fault? Chelsea didn't want to sell him.

The logic in your posts are so twisted.
His salary is up to 250k more than Bruno's up to 240K per week and he is nowhere near the player Bruno is. Don't manipulate numbers.

Yup, that's what I expect. He'll score some goals and so every time someone criticises him, posters will hit back with "but goals from midfield!"

Well in fairness we need goals from somewhere. Casemiro did his bit last year but Bruno's finishing wasn't great and Eriksen missed some good chances over the year too. Hopefully Antony/Sancho can step up a bit and Rasmus too of course, but an extra 5 goals from midfield really wouldn't go amiss.

Martial is severely overpaid, Eriksen needs to lower his wages too as he's aged.

Don't get me started on Sancho. We gave a 19-year old 350K a week?

Seasons not even started and i see posters already getting on Mounts back. Ffs get behind the players, new and old give them a chance before you make up your tiny minds.
supporters my arse.
And this is how we got sleep-walked into a decade long era of mediocrity and malaise. Shutting down critical voices, deferring to authority even when the logic is warped as in this case and then shouting like you are in bedlam when it all goes wrong.

Posters could see with every disaster, maybe bar Sanchez and Sancho, flaws in the thought processes behind disastrous signings and appointments but were always shut down in the name of support. The concerns raised in the Moyes, Ole appointments were valid, the concerns raised in the Maguire, Mount signings were and are valid. I don't see the benefit of shutting out critical voices when the club hasn't done anything to earn unwavering trust since 2013.

Chances are high that Casemiro in a single pivot behind two no.10s will fail. Why shut down such a legitimate discussion? Do you think pampering a player's ego will suddenly turn them into prime Modric. A huge gamble was taken and posters have a right, if not responsibility, to question whether it was the right one or even worth it.

And this is how we got sleep-walked into a decade long era of mediocrity and malaise. Shutting down critical voices, deferring to authority even when the logic is warped as in this case and then shouting like you are in bedlam when it all goes wrong.

Posters could see with every disaster, maybe bar Sanchez and Sancho, flaws in the thought processes behind disastrous signings and appointments but were always shut down in the name of support. The concerns raised in the Moyes, Ole appointments were valid, the concerns raised in the Maguire, Mount signings were and are valid. I don't see the benefit of shutting out critical voices when the club hasn't done anything to earn unwavering trust since 2013.

Chances are high that Casemiro in a single pivot behind two no.10s will fail. Why shut down such a legitimate discussion? Do you think pampering a player's ego will suddenly turn them into prime Modric. A huge gamble was taken and posters have a right, if not responsibility, to question whether it was the right one or even worth it.

I’m sorry, we’ve had a decade of mediocrity because posters on RedCafe were ‘shut down’??

Who knew it was Caf posters who ran the club post SAF.

https://theathletic.com/4656128/2023/07/05/mason-mount-manchester-united-transfer-chelsea-2/

"The Athletic report that Mount stands to earn £200,000-250,000 per week at Old Trafford, joining on a five-year deal. That's a similar amount to what the Blues were offering the 24-year-old. The wages are also the same Liverpool were proposing to Mount"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...alary-Man-United-deal-worth-250-000-week.html

"Mount is set to sign a five-year deal worth £250,000-a-week at Old Trafford, with the option of another year extension. His move to United comes after his wishes to get Chelsea to increase his £80,000-a-week wages - after being named the club's Player of the Year in 2020-21 and 2021-22 - were refused"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mason-mount-manutd-transfer-details-30356059

His move to United will see Mount move level with some of his peers. The Telegraph reports that Mount will be paid a basic wage of £250,000-a-week, while bonuses could push that figure up to £300,000-a-week.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mason-mount-contract-man-utd-transfer-b1091649.html

"Mount will earn £250,000-a-week at United, potentially rising to £300,000-a-week depending on performances, dwarfing his £80,000-a-week wages at Chelsea"

I want to change my statement from up to 250 to 300k according to multiple sources.

Dont make shit up.

The thing is, Casemiro won't be alone. Like in every other top side, the full-backs move so deep into midfield that they offer the support there to Casemiro + CB's have to be so aggressive and high on the pitch to avoid the quick counters.

No, we were shit because we hired either an average manager who had won nothing, or an ancient one whose ideas were extremely outdated. That, and we signed players who solved nothing. There should be question marks over the Mount signing, but he's a very good footballer and works extremely hard. Casemiro - Eriksen - Bruno worked fine in most games, until Eriksen's injury and his legs were gone. Mount is more physical, can run for ages and is one of the most effective pressers in the league (far better than Bruno here).

It's very clear Ten Hag has a plan and you see most of his transfers working out. Antony remains to be seen, but you can see the value he brings.

https://theathletic.com/4656128/2023/07/05/mason-mount-manchester-united-transfer-chelsea-2/

"The Athletic report that Mount stands to earn £200,000-250,000 per week at Old Trafford, joining on a five-year deal. That's a similar amount to what the Blues were offering the 24-year-old. The wages are also the same Liverpool were proposing to Mount"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...alary-Man-United-deal-worth-250-000-week.html

"Mount is set to sign a five-year deal worth £250,000-a-week at Old Trafford, with the option of another year extension. His move to United comes after his wishes to get Chelsea to increase his £80,000-a-week wages - after being named the club's Player of the Year in 2020-21 and 2021-22 - were refused"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mason-mount-manutd-transfer-details-30356059

His move to United will see Mount move level with some of his peers. The Telegraph reports that Mount will be paid a basic wage of £250,000-a-week, while bonuses could push that figure up to £300,000-a-week.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mason-mount-contract-man-utd-transfer-b1091649.html

"Mount will earn £250,000-a-week at United, potentially rising to £300,000-a-week depending on performances, dwarfing his £80,000-a-week wages at Chelsea"

I want to change my statement from up to 250 to 300k according to multiple sources.

Dont make shit up.

Take a look at your sources. Written by journalists who have no idea how his contract would look like. Let me ask you something. Do you believe everything that every journalist says?

Daily fecking Mail ffs :lol:

Take a look at most of your sources. Written by journalists who have no idea how his contract would look like. Let me ask you something. Do you believe everything that every journalist says?

Man you believed the shit site and now questioning other poster for believing journalists.

For what it's worth, ManUtd journalists reported his wages are 200k and will reach up to 250k with all bonuses.

Man you believed the shit site and now questioning other poster for believing journalists.

For what it's worth, ManUtd journalists reported his wages are 200k and will reach up to 250k with all bonuses.

Capology is fairly reliable in terms of wages. I don't think they include bonuses, though.

I’m sorry, we’ve had a decade of mediocrity because posters on RedCafe were ‘shut down’??
No but questioning the club's decisions is a valid discussion to be had but we have posters on here shutting people down for over a decade from discussing legitimate concerns. In this case doubting whether Mount will work in a three with Bruno and Case is as a legitimate concern as to doubting whether Moyes was suitable for the job.

All misgivings were shut down in the name of support but long after Moyes and Ole have had their pay offs it is still us the fans left holding an empty bag, going through yet another rebuild. My point is that the last ten years have proven that the club isn't infallible and those who question its decisions or are critical of certain players have a voice which shouldn't be shut down everytime in the name of support.

That estimated total wage bill is still ooooof even after Ronaldo and De Gea's departure.
Maguire, VDB and Martial exiting it this summer or next (hopefully) will deflate it a little but with replacements not so much. Especially Pavard, that can't be that cheap.

Pavard, Malacia, Mount, Antony: very worried about who we are getting under Ten Hag.

Pavard, Malacia, Mount, Antony: very worried about who we are getting under Ten Hag.
We can say Antony hasn‘t brought yet what Ten Hag expected of him, but he is not useless: he is press-resistant, hard working defensively and just needs to add goal involvement to his game.

Mount‘s numbers are great and he is still a young player, let‘s give him some time.

Malacia has been mostly good, he played Shaw out of the line up at first. He has more in his locker give him some time.

I haven‘t seen enough of Pavard, but he is rated highly.

I still don't see why Mount was deemed such a priority to become the clubs first signing. The notion that he had interest from other clubs is redundant because City were in for Fred and Maguire and subsequently a player can look brilliant in one system and absolutely mediocre in another so interested parties stands for very little in football given the variables.

This season will be one where the only thing that excels in this campaign is the managers brilliance. After signing Mount, Hojlund, Onana and potentially Pavard it's not a list of players aside the goalkeeper that even suggests incremental improvements to the quality of the team in individual positions.

Truly hoping ETH has a tactical masterclass up his sleeve because that's what's it's going to take, there are many questionable outlooks on how this team is going to perform and function.

I still don't see why Mount was deemed such a priority to become the clubs first signing. The notion that he had interest from other clubs is redundant because City were in for Fred and Maguire and subsequently a player can look brilliant in one system and absolutely mediocre in another so interested parties stands for very little in football given the variables.

This season will be one where the only thing that excels in this campaign is the managers brilliance. After signing Mount, Hojlund, Onana and potentially Pavard it's not a list of players aside the goalkeeper that even suggests incremental improvements to the quality of the team in individual positions.

Truly hoping ETH has a tactical masterclass up his sleeve because that's what's it's going to take, there are many questionable outlooks on how this team is going to perform and function.

Transfers are not linear Mount presented itself 1st because that's the way it fell, likely because for the ST position primarily they probably were still working on a few different targets probably primarily looking at the Kane feasibility imo

This perspective makes zero sense to me.

Pavard would be replacing Maguire. And aside from the very strong argument that he is an outright better footballer than Maguire, he would specifically add the main quality Varane lacks in our system which is high level ability on the ball.

Mount has arrived to play as one of the two #8/#10 hybrids in our starting eleven. Which means he is replacing Fred in the actual squad, and stepping ahead of Eriksen, VDB and the departed Sabitzer as players who somewhat fit that #8/#10 profile. And he's a clear improvement on all four in terms of basic quality and/or suitability for the role our team.

And as for Hojlund, he's replacing the black hole in attack that was temporarily filled by Wout Weghorst last season. It shouldn't even need saying that he's a big upgrade on that.

All of these players improve the quality of the team in their individual positions.

Last edited:

The simple answer is that he is player which ETH thinks would fit perfectly into his system and clicks all his 83 principles. Hence ETH want him most as our priority signing.

And also let's say we only have around 150m budget to spend this summer, we need reinforcement in CM, CF and GK, how would you spend the money?

There are other "better" midfielders available (Rice, Caicedo, Bellingham, Paqueta) but they all priced at around 100m range. And there are also other decent midfielders available (McAllister, Szoboszlai, Lavia) at around similar price range, but they are all highly seek from other clubs and may not suit ETH system.

Last edited:
So if he doesn't offer much else than hard work, how did he get 11 goals and 10 assists in 2300 minutes (a full season is around 3400 mins) in a PL season? Those numbers are better than Bruno's. I'm curious to hear what you have to say about this.

Played Norwich twice. That’s 6 of those 21 GAs. Scored 1 goal that season against a team higher than 12th in the league at the time.

Look he’s a decent player and we all hope he works out for us. However, a lot of us are struggling to see him as a player worth spending £50m on when we already have Bruno. It’s a bit depressing that even when I read someone who thinks he will be good they invariably start with how good he is at pressing, rather than his actual football ability.