Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think amount is getting underrated by some on here. I think there was a point a couple of years ago where he was on the verge of being a really top player. He was arguably Chelsea’s best player in their Champion’s League run-in and in the final against City. His ceiling isn’t as high as someone like Pogba, but he’s a much steadier player, very good at pressing, and scores goals (generally against smaller teams).

If he’s replacing McTominay, who is older (I think), then that’s a massive, massive upgrade.
Way too much emphasis is put on pace and skill when determining a players “ceiling”. Mount has the ingredients to be a top player and showed that at Chelsea.

If you don't rate Mount then you sure as hell couldn't have rated Park. I think they're very similar players with Mount having more offensive quality.

Just think of how much SAF loved Park and how much he showed up in big games. It's the same with Mount, the coaches love him for his tactical flexibility and his effectiveness on and off the ball.

He'd be a very good signing but we have to make sure we don't go a penny over £40m or £50m if it includes add ons.
It’s about the entire midfield. I rated Park but back then we had Scholes and Carrick who were quality on the ball and could pass.
Right now I wouldn’t want Park as we have more Parks (and Mount belongs into this group as well) but we have absolutely no one even close to Scholes’ or Carrick’s ball playing skills.

If we did sign Mount, that's exactly how I suspect we'd line up.

And I've seen people compare it to ETH's most recent Ajax midfield, where you had Alvarez playing as a #6 and Gravenberch/Berghuis as the advanced #8s.

The primary issue I have with the idea is that at Ajax that midfield set-up was in conjunction with a back-five that was excellent in possession and did a lot of heavy lifting in terms of progressing the ball from defence and supporting midfield.

But (relative to the different levels both teams operate at) I don't think our back five is good enough to do that. Martinez is Martinez and Shaw is good enough on the ball (though not as good a passer as Blind). But Varane is weaker in possession than Timber, neither Dalot nor AWB offer what Mazraoui did for Ajax and we're all very aware of the De Gea problem.

Without that equivalent support, I'd have doubts about that sort of set-up for us.

And I've seen people compare it to ETH's most recent Ajax midfield, where you had Alvarez playing as a #6 and Gravenberch/Berghuis as the advanced #8s.

The primary issue I have with the idea is that at Ajax that midfield set-up was in conjunction with a back-five that was excellent in possession and did a lot of heavy lifting in terms of progressing the ball from defence and supporting midfield.

But (relative to the different levels both teams operate at) I don't think our back five is good enough to do that. Martinez is Martinez and Shaw is good enough on the ball (though not as good a passer as Blind). But Varane is weaker in possession than Timber, neither Dalot nor AWB offer what Mazraoui did for Ajax and we're all very aware of the De Gea problem.

Without that equivalent support, I'd have doubts about that sort of set-up for us.
I remember Mourinho's head exploding about those so-called first station passes. As you say, we'll have some problems with that back 5.

I always recall Stewart Robson, who gets a lot of criticism, talking about playing out from the back around the time Guardiola had reinvented that Barca side. He kept talking about how playing out from the back had been imagined as this sort of bolt-on, where teams who had a different style otherwise would start splitting their centre backs and taking goal kicks short, when, to his mind, it wasn't just about the first pass, but the next one and the one after that and how all of the players reacted and moved in a completely connected way. It sounds so simple now, but at the time, it was a much more nuanced point than most pundits were making when discussing it.

It’s about the entire midfield. I rated Park but back then we had Scholes and Carrick who were quality on the ball and could pass.
Right now I wouldn’t want Park as we have more Parks (and Mount belongs into this group as well) but we have absolutely no one even close to Scholes’ or Carrick’s ball playing skills.
Who are the Parks in our team. Antony at a stretch but he lacks the necessary football intelligence. You could say Fred but it's highly likely he's leaving.

I do agree we need better ball players like Scholes or Carrick in the team but we also need aggresive and energetic players too. The likes of Sancho, Martial, Eriksen play at walking pace off the ball. To be a pressing team on the front foot you need to force turnovers of possession and players like Mount make that possible.

He also not just a workhorse he has an offensive side to his game too.

Are you telling us that if we play the current set up, we don’t need back five that is good enough on the ball?

Regardless what kind of set up we play the current one or the new one, as long as our manager is still ten Hag, his criteria about his back five is still the same. His criteria is he wants to have defenders to be very good on the ball and that can progress the ball. And keeper that can play from the back. We don’t hire ten Hag and expect him to keep Bissaka and de Gea or any back five that can’t play from the back forever.

Are you telling us that if we play the current set up, we don’t need back five that is good enough on the ball?

Regardless what kind of set up we play the current one or the new one, as long as our manager is still ten Hag, his criteria about his back five is still the same. His criteria is he wants to have defenders to be very good on the ball and that can progress the ball. And keeper that can play from the back. We don’t hire ten Hag and expect him to keep Bissaka and de Gea or any back five that can’t play from the back forever.

Oh no, our back five would need to improve regardless. But I think this midfield set-up would place a more immediate burden on them than one that incorporated the deeper, press resistant profile of #8 many want.

Varane for example isn't someone I think is particularly strong on the ball, but I think that's more of an issue/priority in some set ups than others.

Kim Min-Jae who we're also heavily linked with is very efficient in possession without being elaborate. Dalot's pretty solid as well. Obviously we arent going to go from where we are now to City's level in one window though.

I largely agree with you but I guess that's where the KMJ, Frimpong and new keeper links are coming from, it would make total sense in this case. I also think that before his injury Dalot at the start of the season was looking incredible, the latter half he's looked pretty poor in comparison though.

Oh no, our back five would need to improve regardless. But I think this midfield set-up would place a more immediate burden on them than one that incorporated the deeper, press resistant profile of #8 many want.

Varane for example isn't someone I think is particularly strong on the ball, but I think that's more of an issue/priority in some set ups than others.

ten Hag already indicated we still have problem to play from the back, which mainly the reason of our poor away games.
So regardless ten Hag already wants improvement/upgrade in his back five this summer for next season.

Last edited:
So we give 55 M to Chelsea for Mount and then they can go and buy Ugarte. Imagine the pairing of Ugarte and Enzo and what do we have to show? Mount and ...?

So we give 55 M to Chelsea for Mount and then they can go and buy Ugarte. Imagine the pairing of Ugarte and Enzo and what do we have to show? Mount and ...?

Much as I don't like writing off transfer before he even joins I am concerned about us funding Chelsea's move for him

Don’t think he would cost much as he is on the last year of his contract, which he wouldn’t extend.

Normally should be around half of his market value - I am thinking around 35m would be enough.

Don’t think he would cost much as he is on the last year of his contract, which he wouldn’t extend.

Normally should be around half of his market value - I am thinking around 35m would be enough.
I am also thinking along the same lines possibly some add ons based on Club winning Pl or CL .

The opinions on him are wild and cover a very broad spectrum. Some think he is the reincarnation of Muller, the other think he is a shit Donny with the attitude of Lingard when he clowns around. Thats like.... night and day. Me, I'd like to think of him as a hardworking Kevin Davies.

Average. Good deal at £15m.

Safe to say next to no one rates it,so Erik prepare for many of this fanbase to go in on you. I will back to the hilt but do have concerns about how this midfield controls things

What qualities does he bring that we're missing? He's not especially creative, press-resistant or adept at controlling the tempo. Praying this falls through. Is our new scout system not in place yet?
Top class off the ball output I guess. Antony, Bruno and Mount would be a nightmare for opposition teams in the ball. But im concerned at us not adding players who contribute to the buildup phase and also how he fits in with Bruno as he’s essentially an AM.

To be fair Ten Hag is a better judge of player than Keane is
I think Keane throughout his career has played with and against the best around so I would guess he knows a good player when he sees one.

Top class off the ball output I guess. Antony, Bruno and Mount would be a nightmare for opposition teams in the ball. But im concerned at us not adding players who contribute to the buildup phase and also how he fits in with Bruno as he’s essentially an AM.

Yeah the lack of links to buildup phase players is a concern and suggests it's not a plan

I think he can play in a 3 with Bruno and Casemiro, miles better than Fred and McTominay, can play out wide so Bruno doesn't get put there, always nice to have options,
No doubt he won't be the only midfield signing with VDB, Fred and McTominay all looking like they are off and Sabitzer probably not staying.

I think he can play in a 3 with Bruno and Casemiro, miles better than Fred and McTominay, can play out wide so Bruno doesn't get put there, always nice to have options,
No doubt he won't be the only midfield signing with VDB, Fred and McTominay all looking like they are off and Sabitzer probably not staying.

Yeah we need 3,hopefully when we sell a couple then links will increase to midfielders other than Mount & Rabiot. Surely Erik can see we need some kind of playmaker too.

What qualities does he bring that we're missing? He's not especially creative, press-resistant or adept at controlling the tempo. Praying this falls through. Is our new scout system not in place yet?

He is very press resistant and that's exactly what your midfield is missing at the moment, it really hinders your progression. Just look at the games against Newcastle and Seville where you were pressed off the ball continually, he can make a huge difference there.

A striker who understands movement, a press resistant midfielder and a ball playing goal keeper would revolutionise your team, Mount is one step towards that.

He is very press resistant and that's exactly what your midfield is missing at the moment, it really hinders your progression. Just look at the games against Newcastle and Seville where you were pressed off the ball continually, he can make a huge difference there.

A striker who understands movement, a press resistant midfielder and a ball playing goal keeper would revolutionise your team, Mount is one step towards that.
If he is then it's actually great though mostly what I have read here is that he is great at pressing but not exactly press resistant himself .

If he is then it's actually great though mostly what I have read here is that he is great at pressing but not exactly press resistant himself .

I've been reading quite a bit of decent analysis on him recently and most agree, he's flexible, good on the ball and excellent off the ball, I've quoted a few articles below that show how he operates out in terms of beating the press.

You're right he's great at leading the press and disrupting DMs, but he's also very technically gifted and good on the ball finding space and moving it on quickly to progress attacks. What all the writers seem to agree on is that while he's not an out and out star player who will dictate the game, he is a flexible and very reliable cog in a system, in other words he doesn't have the potential of say Pogba when joined you, but he will progress the ball quickly, safely and reliably as well adding another facet to your attacking options. Off the ball he is a great presser and disrupter. I don't like comparisons as they're always a bit weak, but think of a press resistant Eriksen, but with more defensive output as well as the offensive skills.

His ability to receive passes from deep and quickly manoeuvre into a forward-facing position with few touches is an extremely valuable trait, and arguably the single-most important part of his game
coaches voice
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/mason-mount-chelsea-declan-rice-frank-lampard/

In the examples below we see Mount beating players in wide and central areas to carry the ball forward and push the attack like a skilled winger. However, in addition to this, we also get an understanding of his ability to receive in deep positions, turn seamlessly with the ball, and resist the press of multiple players at once and retain possession. Much of this stems from his balance, ball control, and agility.
breaking the lines
https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/mason-mounts-meteoric-rise-for-club-and-country-2/

One of the reasons for this is his ability to receive passes from a variety of angles and then having the awareness and composure to progress it forward quickly. Not only does this allow him to be comfortable receiving possession in multiple areas on the pitch, but it also allows him to maintain the attacking momentum of his team’s passing sequences by not dwelling on the ball.
The football faithfull
https://thefootballfaithful.com/pla...proving-their-own-lack-of-football-knowledge/

I've been reading quite a bit of decent analysis on him recently and most agree, he's flexible, good on the ball and excellent off the ball, I've quoted a few articles below that show how he operates out in terms of beating the press.

You're right he's great at leading the press and disrupting DMs, but he's also very technically gifted and good on the ball finding space and moving it on quickly to progress attacks. What all the writers seem to agree on is that while he's not an out and out star player who will dictate the game, he is a flexible and very reliable cog in a system, in other words he doesn't have the potential of say Pogba when joined you, but he will progress the ball quickly, safely and reliably as well adding another facet to your attacking options. Off the ball he is a great presser and disrupter. I don't like comparisons as they're always a bit weak, but think of a press resistant Eriksen, but with more defensive output as well as the offensive skills.

coaches voice
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/mason-mount-chelsea-declan-rice-frank-lampard/

breaking the lines
https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/mason-mounts-meteoric-rise-for-club-and-country-2/

The football faithfull
https://thefootballfaithful.com/pla...proving-their-own-lack-of-football-knowledge/
Thanks for the detailed reply with supporting articles can certainly see now why Ten Hag is pursuing him and slightly more confident in it working just fine for Us .

Thanks for the detailed reply with supporting articles can certainly see now why Ten Hag is pursuing him and slightly more confident in it working just fine for Us .

If we could afford him, I would have him at Brighton like a shot to replace Mac Allister, obviously different players, but lots of similar attributes and I think he'd fit our game perfectly.

We need a metronome sort of player who doesn’t misplaces passes and can be the guy to assist the assist. Not sure if Mount can be that guy

We need a metronome sort of player who doesn’t misplaces passes and can be the guy to assist the assist. Not sure if Mount can be that guy

We need a balanced competent midfield and there has to be more than one way to do that .

I don't rate him, but it all depends on how the squad looks come the start of the season.

If McTom, Fred or Donny wish to leave and EtH sees Mount as someone who can cover for Eriksen and Bruno then you could somewhat understand the move.

But we would need to see the bigger picture.

You would be extremely happy with a player who will cost 120-150m and is already off to Madrid, or another who is over 100m who we have 0 need for as he plays in the same position and same role as Casemiro who is one of the best around?

Mount addresses a need. He's a #8. He benches Eriksen and replaces Fred's energy all in 1. He'd play with Casemiro and Bruno. That's a huge improvement. Rice would be a crazy expensive backup who you wouldn't be able to pair with casemiro because then you get a fat 0 on the ball.
You said I don't prefer Mount just for the sake of him being English which is not the case at all. I'm happy with us signing English players who are good and would be an obvious upgrade on what we have at the moment. The concern is that Mount is neither a 8 nor a 10, he is someone who can do a job in both positions but won't be the best in either.

@redIndianDevil

Looks at these stats. His stats are good as the specialists whilst being able to play in literally any position not defensive.

He is a good player whilst playing in multiple positions.

Watch the video - they tell you where he has played in CL’s and everything whilst putting good stats and performances in multiple positions.
There is also a stat in this thread a few pages before that most of numbers came against fodder teams. He has hardly played this season. Going from the posts in this thread, the idea seems to be to play a 3 man midfield of Case, Bruno and Mount. If that's what EtH wants then that's okay. But no one is going to convince me that at 55m pounds and 200k+ wages Mount is an astute signing, especially for a midfield that lacks creativity and imagination. How many times have we screamed at Bruno for losing possession in midfield, Mount is going to add to that more. If the idea is to implement a press as relentless as Liverpool's, we can get away with this signing.

This is what scares me the most. Chelsea may have been a laughing stock this year but they always seem to sign one or two world beaters every time. They are desperate to reduce their squad size, we shouldn't be aiding them by handing over 55m for a player in the last year of his contract. Next year is going to be cutthroat, Chelsea also have Kante, Kovacic, Enzo already. An astute manager would turn them around instantly without worrying about Europe as well.

Casemiro , Bruno and Mount with Eriksen as depth.
Do you not know who’s in our squad?

More or less word for word what I said in the Ugarte thread. Scary prospect, but in Erik we trust.

I'm not sure he's the right fit on your team but I might be the only non-chelsea fan here who rates him very highly. If we weren't taking Bellingham I'd have been happy if we went for him instead

Imagine the pressing of Bruno & Mount at the same time with the protection of Casemiro or Rice.

That’s going to be hard to penetrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.