Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet no one has yet been able to describe with any authority what he's actually good at. Instead people keep listing his CL win like Ross Turnbull hasn't also got a Champions League medal.

Actually if you read the thread lots of people have - I would suggest reading this post by @Adnan the thread he posts is very good and detailed, but there's plenty more if you look.

But the thread below provides some detail on why Mount would be a good fit for a team who want to dominate the game. And dominating the game also means defending from the front by pressing in a intelligent manner whilst showing good ability on the ball to dribble, run in-behind and retain possession under pressure. Mount has shown that at a higher level than the likes of Fred or Mctominay and his off the ball work higher up the pitch is needed.

I look at them more than enough and there hasn’t been any links to Liverpool the past few days but plenty about finalising Mac Allister deal first.
He’s linked to liverpool and arsenal but his preference club to join is man united.

I came across some analysis the other day (no idea what specific period were the data based on), basically if we compare him to some other top midfielders (AM) in the game, the result is quite surprising. Maybe we can have a idea why scouts/managers rate him highly there, he is very much comparable to other top midfielders around.

Cross per 90/accuracy %:
1. De Bruyne - 5.22/35.87
2. Bruno - 2.77/33.16
3. Mount - 2.05/34.09
4. Gavi -2.2/30.17
5. Musiala - 0.84/21.88
(comparable to Bruno/Gavi)

Non-penalty goals per 90/xG/Shots on target %:
1. De Bruyne - 0.43/0.25/38.17
2. Musiala - 0.36/0.27/42.86
3. Mount - 0.23/0.29/31.71
4. Bruno - 0.25/0.24/30.58
5. Gavi - 0.05/0.09/28.13
(comparable to Bruno, which is surprising)

Dribbling per 90/success dribble/progressive run per 90
1. Grealish - 5.44/65.14/5.57
2. Musiala - 8.12/55.1/2.87
3. De Bruyne - 3.49/57.98/2.45
4. Gavi - 3.32/49.14/1.76
5. Mount - 2.49/49.53/1.84
(apparently not his strength, but he is quite similar to Gavi there, which isn't bad)

Long pass per 90/accuracy %
1. Bruno - 5.61/59
2. De Bruyne - 3.8/61
3. Mount - 1.59/70
4. Gavi - 1.78/61
5. Musiala - 0.74/57
(he is actually the most accurate long passer out there, but not doing it as many as other top long passer, can be good or bad thing)

Pass per 90/accuracy %/forward pass
1. Bruno - 47/78/14
2. De Bruyne - 46/77/13
3. Gavi - 42/87/9
4. Musiala - 37/84/8
5. Mount - 37/83/10
(comparable to Gavi and Musiala, which isn't bad, again his accuracy is quite good)

Assist per 90/xA/accurate through pass
1. De Bruyne - 0.41/0.3/39.83
2. Mount - 0.34/0.23/33
3. Musiala - 0.28/0.18/38
4. Bruno - 0.27/0.26/31
5. Gavi - 0.15/0.09/44
(quite a surprising one, I didn't know when he was that good)

Successful def action per 90/duel won/interception per 90
1. Gavi - 8.46/52.88/3.19
2. Bruno - 6.73/56.72/3.03
3. Mount - 6.37/61.87/2.33
4. Musiala - 6.04/63.24/2.82
5. De Bruyne - 3.58/53.42/1.89
(as expected, he is good at defending from AM perspective)
That is really suprising. Thanks for posting.

I do recall Utd hiring quite heavily in data science department. I wonder if Mount is the sort of player that we as fans dont really rate, but the data tells a different story? Basically Moneyball approach.

Actually if you read the thread lots of people have - I would suggest reading this post by @Adnan the thread he posts is very good and detailed, but there's plenty more if you look.
I know, I've seen him play, I know where his strengths lie but a lot of people just say yes because it's a new transfer and when you push them to give a reason why, they can't.

Personally I don't think we need more players that go missing when the team are playing badly and show up when they team are playing well. Systematic players are great in a system but with a system also comes a very clear way to stop a system. I'd prefer it if we focused our efforts on someone who offers more than pass and move ala Sancho.

And yet no one has yet been able to describe with any authority what he's actually good at. Instead people keep listing his CL win like Ross Turnbull hasn't also got a Champions League medal.
What Mount is good at:
  • His off ball movement.
  • His work rate, good at pressing and ball recoveries.
  • He is good at making final third ball/passes (which reflect to his high xA from 2019-2022) (we don’t have enough players to make good amount of xA so he can improve us in this aspect).
  • His passing accuracy from 2019-2022 is 85% overall (which reflect to his ability to retain possession)
  • He’s a midfielder who also can score goals. Can score long shots.
  • He‘s chelsea set piece taker, which chelsea had scored good amount of goals from set pieces in 2019-2022.
  • He‘s versatile.
In term of profile, he fits Klopp‘s profile and ETH’s profile to play in the no 8.

Tactically, he’s different to FDJ because FDJ is more a deep-playmaker that plays in double pivot.
Signing Mount means we might see a different system next season because ETH and the scouting team couldn’t find the right player that fits FDJ profile. Instead of playing with 4231 double pivot, ETH might play 433 with one no 6 and two no 8. We see this changing formation in his Ajax team when FDJ left.

The following below is when Ajax had the possession and start their build up play vs Dortmund in 2021/2022 season. You can see that Gravenberch is nowhere near in Ajax build up play phase to progress the ball. It‘s the keeper, two CB, a DM, and the two full backs the ones who got involved in this and if ETH uses this same system then we will rely on those 6 positions to retain possession or recycle the ball. Among these 6 players, Alvarez is the one being assigned to play more simple passes and doesn’t get involved on the ball often (see below stats), this suitable to Casemiro who is not a press resistance so I think we will see a different role in Casemiro next season in comparison to this season.

I think our build up and attacking transition will be something like this:

GK
Varane Martinez
Casemiro
RB —————— Shaw
Antony - Mount - Bruno - Rashford
ST​

Bruno and Mount will play in Berghuis and Gravenberch role. Our full backs will cover the half space and sometime swap position with the wingers. So this is where I see Mount might be perfect to play in this set up and system because we will get to utilise his strength to do high press, scoring goals and assists.

7-FE97-F7-C-2-EB9-4417-B45-D-57-D48-C5071-EB.jpg

840382-EF-AB98-4114-9-D4-A-98-E612-E31-D27.png

I took pictures of these FBref end of last season so this is based on 21/22 season.

42-F271-CB-166-F-445-D-916-D-F3516-E6-FD8-D8.jpg

I think he is a good player and he would be good signing. It also indicates that we are likely moving on from several homegrown players that need to be replaced. Which generally means you'll have to overpay a bit.

Alright may be the last one was a bit much. I apologise for that but the poster was basically counting goals Rodri and Gundogan scored. Like that’s their job.
It's every players job to score a goal, doesn't mean it's their main one though

And reading some of the posts on here, I've been watching football for more than 50 years and I just realized I have no idea what the feck a double pivot is, and no I don't want any explanations thank you!!

And reading some of the posts on here, I've been watching football for more than 50 years and I just realized I have no idea what the feck a double pivot is, and no I don't want any explanations thank you!!

The only thing I know for sure is that it’s twice as good as a single pivot. That’s enough for me!

I know, I've seen him play, I know where his strengths lie but a lot of people just say yes because it's a new transfer and when you push them to give a reason why, they can't.

Personally I don't think we need more players that go missing when the team are playing badly and show up when they team are playing well. Systematic players are great in a system but with a system also comes a very clear way to stop a system. I'd prefer it if we focused our efforts on someone who offers more than pass and move ala Sancho.
It's odd that you have suggested Ward Prowse as a good value signing but would turn your nose up at Mount.

I’ve already said in this thread I’d be extremely happy with Rice or Bellingham. The transfer window has just begun why do we need to adjust so soon? We aren’t linked with any other midfielders. You agree that we don’t have a huge transfer budget okay to spend 55m on a player we don’t need.
You would be extremely happy with a player who will cost 120-150m and is already off to Madrid, or another who is over 100m who we have 0 need for as he plays in the same position and same role as Casemiro who is one of the best around?

Mount addresses a need. He's a #8. He benches Eriksen and replaces Fred's energy all in 1. He'd play with Casemiro and Bruno. That's a huge improvement. Rice would be a crazy expensive backup who you wouldn't be able to pair with casemiro because then you get a fat 0 on the ball.

What Mount is good at:
  • His off ball movement.
  • He is good at making final third ball/passes (which reflect to his high xA from 2019-2022) (we don’t have enough players to make good amount of xA so he can improve us in this aspect).
  • His passing accuracy from 2019-2022 is 85% overall (which reflect to his ability to retain possession)
  • He‘s chelsea set piece taker, which chelsea had scored good amount of goals from set pieces in 2019-2022.
  • He‘s versatile.
In term of profile, he fits Klopp‘s profile and ETH’s profile to play in the no 8.

Tactically, he’s different to FDJ because FDJ is more a deep-playmaker that plays in double pivot.
Signing Mount means we might see a different system next season because ETH and the scouting team couldn’t find the right player that fits FDJ profile. Instead of playing with 4231 double pivot, ETH might play 433 with one no 6 and two no 8. We see this changing formation in his Ajax team when FDJ left.

The following below is when Ajax had the possession and start their build up play vs Dortmund in 2021/2022 season. You can see that Gravenberch is nowhere near in Ajax build up play phase to progress the ball. It‘s the keeper, two CB, a DM, and the two full backs the ones who got involved in this and if ETH uses this same system then we will rely on those 6 positions to retain possession or recycle the ball. Among these 6 players, Alvarez is the one being assigned to play more simple passes and doesn’t get involved on the ball often (see below stats), this suitable to Casemiro who is not a press resistance so I think we will see a different role in Casemiro next season in comparison to this season.

GK
Varane Martinez
Casemiro
RB —————— Shaw
ST​

Bruno and Mount will play in Berghuis and Gravenberch role. Our full backs will cover the half space and sometime swap position with the wingers. So this is where I see Mount might be perfect to play in this set up and system because we will get to utilise his strength to do high press, scoring goals and assists.

I took pictures of these FBref end of last season so this is based on 21/22 season.

Thanks for taking the time to write this, very informative.

It's odd that you have suggested Ward Prowse as a good value signing but would turn your nose up at Mount.
Ward-Prowse would be extremely cheap, would instantly improve the legs in our midfield and would score/assist from set-pieces. He's probably good for 10 goals a season in big moments.

Good post, I don't rate Mount as highly as others do but when you see managers like Tuchel, Potter playing him regularly (With their 101 options) and then managers like Klopp, EtH trying to sign him it's obvious that as a casual viewer I'm missing something.

If we sign him, hopefully he will be worth the money as he will take big percent of available funds this summer.
Im not a massive fan tbh, but he's objectively a very good player. I just didn't think he was elite yet, but he was definitely very good between 20/21 and 21/22... Which were his age 22 and 23 seasons. In both #8 and #10 positions. Step back this season due to them being a disaster isn't a fair representation. His analytics back it up though. He had excellent defensive stats, works hard, presses effectively, very good crosser, excellent shooting technique, good set piece delivery, very effective passer and runner with the ball even if he isn't quite as smooth as a Frenkie. That doesn't mean he isn't very effective, and his analytics highlight just how effective he was those 2 years. And that's well before his prime. So there's a very good player in there that Ten Hag can mold, and he just turned 24 a few months ago.

You would be extremely happy with a player who will cost 120-150m and is already off to Madrid, or another who is over 100m who we have 0 need for as he plays in the same position and same role as Casemiro who is one of the best around?

Mount addresses a need. He's a #8. He benches Eriksen and replaces Fred's energy all in 1. He'd play with Casemiro and Bruno. That's a huge improvement. Rice would be a crazy expensive backup who you wouldn't be able to pair with casemiro because then you get a fat 0 on the ball.
Rice is fantastic on the ball though..

I came across some analysis the other day (no idea what specific period were the data based on), basically if we compare him to some other top midfielders (AM) in the game, the result is quite surprising. Maybe we can have a idea why scouts/managers rate him highly there, he is very much comparable to other top midfielders around.

Cross per 90/accuracy %:
1. De Bruyne - 5.22/35.87
2. Bruno - 2.77/33.16
3. Mount - 2.05/34.09
4. Gavi -2.2/30.17
5. Musiala - 0.84/21.88
(comparable to Bruno/Gavi)

Non-penalty goals per 90/xG/Shots on target %:
1. De Bruyne - 0.43/0.25/38.17
2. Musiala - 0.36/0.27/42.86
3. Mount - 0.23/0.29/31.71
4. Bruno - 0.25/0.24/30.58
5. Gavi - 0.05/0.09/28.13
(comparable to Bruno, which is surprising)

Dribbling per 90/success dribble/progressive run per 90
1. Grealish - 5.44/65.14/5.57
2. Musiala - 8.12/55.1/2.87
3. De Bruyne - 3.49/57.98/2.45
4. Gavi - 3.32/49.14/1.76
5. Mount - 2.49/49.53/1.84
(apparently not his strength, but he is quite similar to Gavi there, which isn't bad)

Long pass per 90/accuracy %
1. Bruno - 5.61/59
2. De Bruyne - 3.8/61
3. Mount - 1.59/70
4. Gavi - 1.78/61
5. Musiala - 0.74/57
(he is actually the most accurate long passer out there, but not doing it as many as other top long passer, can be good or bad thing)

Pass per 90/accuracy %/forward pass
1. Bruno - 47/78/14
2. De Bruyne - 46/77/13
3. Gavi - 42/87/9
4. Musiala - 37/84/8
5. Mount - 37/83/10
(comparable to Gavi and Musiala, which isn't bad, again his accuracy is quite good)

Assist per 90/xA/accurate through pass
1. De Bruyne - 0.41/0.3/39.83
2. Mount - 0.34/0.23/33
3. Musiala - 0.28/0.18/38
4. Bruno - 0.27/0.26/31
5. Gavi - 0.15/0.09/44
(quite a surprising one, I didn't know when he was that good)

Successful def action per 90/duel won/interception per 90
1. Gavi - 8.46/52.88/3.19
2. Bruno - 6.73/56.72/3.03
3. Mount - 6.37/61.87/2.33
4. Musiala - 6.04/63.24/2.82
5. De Bruyne - 3.58/53.42/1.89
(as expected, he is good at defending from AM perspective)

I don't doubt your intentions or fault your efforts but without a source or dates ?

He's a manager's dream.

Fan's won't always see the things he does well, but he's one of those players who's tactically versatile. Along with that, he runs, and I think the reason we struggle to dominate games off the ball, is because we sometimes lack that energy. Eriksen gives us quality, Fred gives us energy, but neither of them give us both on a consistent basis. Mason Mount would probably sit in the middle, thus potentially being a target for ten Hag.

Ward-Prowse would be extremely cheap, would instantly improve the legs in our midfield and would score/assist from set-pieces. He's probably good for 10 goals a season in big moments.
I doubt he'd be 'extremely' cheap. £30m minimum I would think. I'm not completely sold on Mount but he's a better player outside of set pieces (which he isn't bad at), and 4 years younger.

Rice is fantastic on the ball though..
He does alright in terms of not losing it and carrying it, and easier passes but he doesn't provide creativity at all. You wouldn't want to pair Casemiro with another casemiro, and Rice isn't close to casemiro on the ball with his creative passing. We need a far more attack minded player than him next to Casemiro, they play literally the same role and position.

We don't know if we are actually interested in Mount. So using the interest of our manager or the other managers quoted as being interested in him as evidence to Mount's ability is premature.

I have only really watched him play for England and I don't rate him very highly on those performances.

We will see I guess. It is as likely Chelsea are trying to drum up a bid as it is actual interest.

Don't think he has the right mentality. Not a fan.

We don't know if we are actually interested in Mount. So using the interest of our manager or the other managers quoted as being interested in him as evidence to Mount's ability is premature.

I have only really watched him play for England and I don't rate him very highly on those performances.

We will see I guess. It is as likely Chelsea are trying to drum up a bid as it is actual interest.

Given the reliability of the journalists reporting our interest, I would say it's significantly less likely.

He does alright in terms of not losing it and carrying it, and easier passes but he doesn't provide creativity at all. You wouldn't want to pair Casemiro with another casemiro, and Rice isn't close to casemiro on the ball with his creative passing. We need a far more attack minded player than him next to Casemiro, they play literally the same role and position.
Having someone with his dribbling ability combined with his defensive work and passing is a great fit for the 8 role, I'm not sure how you can write him off as a partner for Casemiro with his current stats. We have a big problem in midfield against tough opposition and a player with his defensive ability along with his allroundness will be needed.

Don't we have loads of early rumours like this every year that end up coming to nothing.

Can't see this one comong to anything at all.

What Mount is good at:
  • His off ball movement.
  • He‘s versatile.

GK
Varane Martinez
Casemiro
RB —————— Shaw
ST​

Great work

Casemiro/McTominay as the holder
Bruno/Eriksen as the more creative #8
Mount/Rabiot as the more industrious #8

I'd definitely be open to this. In the Neverending thread, I proposed Maddison for one of the #8 slots. But Mount is probably a better option for that position if he's truly available.

why does everyone keep talking about Rabiot??? he's not coming here as his mom, who happens to be his manager, is a fukng snake and bat shit crazy

We can sell players to raise funds too, you know?

To a varying degree of difficulty to sell:
- Maguire
- Telles
- Bailly
- Henderson
- McTominay
- Fred (?)
- Elanga

and possibly more
Didn’t think our club knew how to sell players :lol: Probably down to offering them 500k a week on average players.:lol:

Think amount is getting underrated by some on here. I think there was a point a couple of years ago where he was on the verge of being a really top player. He was arguably Chelsea’s best player in their Champion’s League run-in and in the final against City. His ceiling isn’t as high as someone like Pogba, but he’s a much steadier player, very good at pressing, and scores goals (generally against smaller teams).

If he’s replacing McTominay, who is older (I think), then that’s a massive, massive upgrade.

why does everyone keep talking about Rabiot??? he's not coming here as his mom, who happens to be his manager, is a fukng snake and bat shit crazy
Because there's rumors we're linked with him and he's available on a free?

If you don't rate Mount then you sure as hell couldn't have rated Park. I think they're very similar players with Mount having more offensive quality.

Just think of how much SAF loved Park and how much he showed up in big games. It's the same with Mount, the coaches love him for his tactical flexibility and his effectiveness on and off the ball.

He'd be a very good signing but we have to make sure we don't go a penny over £40m or £50m if it includes add ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.