View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
A nothing player so far...and we already signed one of those for huge money last year.

Its early days so maybe he improves, but ive never quite understood what is the upside with Mount even if he works out. Maybe there is a reason Chelsea wernt interested in making him a competitive contract offer

Bruno is the one player in the team we can carry because he pops up with the pass that creates the goal, as he often does. We can't carry two players and certainly not one who does nothing.
If I were you, I wouldn't bother to reply to anyone who compares Bruno to other players incompetencies. Bruno might have stinkers, still at the end of the season, Bruno is only next to KDB when it comes to the most creative midfielder in the league. We need to carry Bruno, until we get a player who could do better. Till then the topic is off discussion.

Make no mistake, Bruno is the most dribbled past player defensively in the first round of matches.

Last edited:
A nothing player so far...and we already signed one of those for huge money last year.

Its early days so maybe he improves, but ive never quite understood what is the upside with Mount even if he works out. Maybe there is a reason Chelsea wernt interested in making him a competitive contract offer
They were offering him 200k a week?
Whether or not you like the guy or wanted him at United, let's not start pretending that Chelsea didn't want to keep him.

I thought he did well. But him and Bruno need to understand each other better.

Here's a left field suggestion, what if ETH hasnt been truthful and Mount isnt coming in as a long term no8, but as a long term no10 to replace Bruno?

Sounds nuts i know. But ETH wants posession football, which is difficult when you have a transitional no10 like Bruno, who will only every pass forwards and not retain posession. Trying a pass even when its not on.

Allowing mount to play the no10 role, where his energy and hard work off the ball can be used to hussle and move defenders, would open up the half spaces around the 18 yard box that we zo love to attack.

Here's a left field suggestion, what if ETH hasnt been truthful and Mount isnt coming in as a long term no8, but as a long term no10 to replace Bruno?

Sounds nuts i know. But ETH wants posession football, which is difficult when you have a transitional no10 like Bruno, who will only every pass forwards and not retain posession. Trying a pass even when its not on.

Allowing mount to play the no10 role, where his energy and hard work off the ball can be used to hussle and move defenders, would open up the half spaces around the 18 yard box that we zo love to attack.

Well if Mount doesn't improve as an 8 and today's performance becomes regular EtH won't be able to complete his plan.

Yeah but Bruno is miles better than Mount as a 10. Or 8. Mount's not a ball carrier, creative enough, or a goalscorer. He's Bruno's backup.

He wouldn’t have named him captain then though would he? But who knows, because the minute we were even linked to Mount I couldn’t understand it. The need for two centre forwards, a FDJ type and a back up DM were huge. And we splashed a huge chunk of our money on Mason feckin Mount. Having him, Bruno, Rashford and Antony all in one team, it’s not a mystery why we can’t hold onto the ball and why teams transition through our midfield so easily.

I can only imagine he's been asked to push right into the final third considering he never cared to drop deep and help Casemiro in midfield or show for the ball. This has a knock on effect, as Casemiro then cannot drop deeper between the center backs to receive and progress the ball in build up. That was a complete shit show of a tactical plan so a day later, I'm hoping Ten Hag is experimenting there.

I knew this thread was going to be fantastic.
It’s impressive how Man Utd and Arsenal both picked up Havertz and Mount and both have looked exactly like Havertz and Mount looked at Chelsea. “I can fix him” type energy from the tactico managers of both clubs.

Yeah but Bruno is miles better than Mount as a 10. Or 8. Mount's not a ball carrier, creative enough, or a goalscorer. He's Bruno's backup.
That’s what he will probably end up being. Quite expensive to play backup but it’s not like we don’t have history of expensive bench players (which is ironic considering most of our fan base seem to truly believe the only reason we are behind City is lack of spending).

He is a system player, cog within cogs. Playing him with Bruno should never happen again....

His work rate was great and played some good balls through. It is early but surely he will not slot into that role naturally.
Giving him no. 7 was a stupid decision which irks me, adds even more pressure which is the last thing he needed

Hes a poor backup for Bruno we really should have got someone with ball carrying skills which Bruno lacks

Looked the same as he has done for England and Chelsea over the past year or so.. not good enough

I thought his set pieces were decent and he looked pretty good off the ball in the first half but second half he was nowhere. Getting turned and unable to keep up with the Wolves runners through the middle.

Made 21 passes and had 30 touches in total for the time he was on, per 90 that's about 28 and 40 respectively. Those are terrible numbers for a midfielder against a bottom half team at home. We need to get him more involved in general play

I am sure Hannibal and Mainoo would have provided whatever ETH thought he was getting from Mount. The worrying thing now is that the manager is going to spend months trying to make his idea work whilst we will be hemorrhaging points, a pool of negativity will swell around our mentality midgets and we will probably find ourselves having to sack the manager again.

One thing is for sure between Maguire, Mount, Sancho, Antony and possibly Casemiro we are on our way to having one of the most expensive benches ever in football history. Because when question marks on these players are eventually answered the bench is where they are going. Whether ETH will survive long enough for that conclusion depends on how stubborn, creative or flexible he will be. If he does an Ole and remains loyal to underperformers he might as well resign because he will be done here.

I said it when we signed him but I do think there are parallels with the Donny van de Beek signing. Mount really isn't what this team was missing to take the next step, and it feels like the availability of an 'intelligent' midfielder has clouded the manager's judgment. The main difference is I expect Mount will nearly always be shoehorned into the team as long as he's fit, so this signing might actually become a bigger hindrance to us than Donny ever was.

Baffling signing. Not blaming Mount here at all. I wasn't a fan of his skill set before we were interested in him, because I never understand what position he thrives in.

I see him as a 10/CAM. Like Eriksen.

To spend 55m+ to convert an attacking mid into box-box midfielder is insane. We should have targeted a top box-box midfielder and a Casemiro replacement.

We used Eriksen in same way, but on a free, not a big issue. We never needed mount. We needed Lavia, Caicedo, Amrabat ONANA ETC.

I thought he was decent - he's clearly only effective as part of a coherent unit, but he put out a few fires before they started, and I felt a bit bad for him watching him pressing while Rashford and Garnacho stood and watched.

He has the attributes to be part of a fantastic counter pressing side, like Klopp's Liverpool at their pomp, which I think is what EtH is going for, but he'll be made to look silly when others aren't pressing or the press isn't coherent.

Still think he will be a decent long term signing for us. Poor last night though (Who wasn't?)

I said it before in this thread and I feel very strongy about it. Him and Bruno only make sense in a box midfield but I couldn't see any of our defenders push into DM positions forming a midfield box. Instead we played a very basic midfield triangle with Cas, Bruno and Mount which imo makes no sense. We lack numbers in midfield and we have two players in a midfield triangle who aren't that great at keeping the ball but rather are high risk players, this is bound to hurt us.

You gotta give him some time. It's hard for a midfield player to come in and fit in like a rubber glove. It takes time for him to understand his partners, especially Bruno who is the most undisciplined midfielder you will ever see.

Needs to play further back, closer to Casemiro. We need his energy in the middle, not upfront, especially when you can clearly see Casemiro was gassed in the second half.

The English-quotient player we've all been told is great if you know anything about football. A modern day Carrick, if you will. A footballer for the connoisseur. I'm conflicted really, cause I want to be a connoisseur

I wasn't thrilled about his signing and if he plays like that regularly over the course of the next few weeks then I'll be joining you slating him but c'mon lads... one fecking game! Not to mention one where all of our front 6 were shite.

I think I preferred Fred tbh. More erratic but also more physical.

I wasn't thrilled about his signing and if he plays like that regularly over the course of the next few weeks then I'll be joining you slating him but c'mon lads... one fecking game! Not to mention one where all of our front 6 were shite.
Nothing would please me more. I hope he'll be fantastic!! But right now he's not. And it's looking grim

Not a good start. He needs to show for the ball and show more when he’s on the ball. At times it felt like his primary role was off the ball and on the ball he not supposed to do much but add a body.

I said when we signed him that personally I thought we needed a playmaker who can dictate play rather than a energetic pressing attacking midfielder. Hopefully he improves and is told to take more responsibility.
It's baffling but I actually believe this is what Ten Hag wants. Mount is basically playing as an attacking midfielder but not the one who makes impact on the ball, he is rather the one who makes runs and pulls defenders. This isn't anywhere as effective as ETH thought imo. This whole idea is baffling to be honest, I thought Sabitzer was just a mistake but apparently this is the plan - to push one more body forward.

Off the ball there's another issue, he's basically doing what Bruno used to do, just running around as one man pressing machine. It didn't seem to cause much trouble for Wolves.

For the amount we spent on him we should be getting someone who is proven in his intended position, not just someone who might be able to play there. Add to that he wasn't exactly in great form last season and it looks an odd one. Not convinced our rumoured plans of keeping mct and sogning amrabat will massively improve things
Mount is proven in his intended position though. This is what Ten Hag wanted, I don't think there's any evidence the plan is to use him as actual midfielder like the Caf thinks collectively. I think it's ridiculous idea but that seems to be the case.
I thought he was decent - he's clearly only effective as part of a coherent unit, but he put out a few fires before they started, and I felt a bit bad for him watching him pressing while Rashford and Garnacho stood and watched.

He has the attributes to be part of a fantastic counter pressing side, like Klopp's Liverpool at their pomp, which I think is what EtH is going for, but he'll be made to look silly when others aren't pressing or the press isn't coherent.
This. His main strengths seem totally ineffective in this United side.

In my opinion we will need to bite the bullet and convert him to more of a traditional number 8. The skills are not the problem, but he isn't used to play like that so it'll take time and might never work, but here we are. This is United thing lately.
I quite like him in that deeper role actually, I think he's better when involved more in the game, I completely don't get the setup with him as AM.

The worst thing we can do is to push Bruno deeper. It would be criminal move from ETH.

The English-quotient player we've all been told is great if you know anything about football. A modern day Carrick, if you will. A footballer for the connoisseur. I'm conflicted really, cause I want to be a connoisseur
He is nowhere near Carrick. We desperately need a Carrick now. What Mount is a toned down Lampard/Gerrard without all the goals or passing and with more headless chicken running.

This guy is absolutely rubbish.
Nothing tells me he will get any better either.
What a waste.

Should have spent the money to get Caciedo, people on this forum tell me we can spend that kind of money...

Status
Not open for further replies.