Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

cafecillos

Yeh it's weird. You can say you don't want him to return to the club because of the off field stuff and also acknowledge he's a very good football player. Besides, if he wasn't a good player this wouldn't even be a conversation. He'd have been released from the club ages ago.
It's not weird at all though. United wouldn't be thinking about signing a forward that has scored 6 non-penalty goals for a mid-table team in La Liga, let alone one with his off-the-field "issues". The only objective thing going for him is he's an academy player. When the loan was made official some people on here were saying stuff like he was going to destroy the league, he was going to score 20 and that sort of nonsense. Now, the narrative for the people who want him back and the """"""neutrals"""""" is that 6 non-penalty goals is a good output and that it's enough to justify his return. We can argue about his performances (haven't seen him enough to judge) and his potential, but his stats are not impressive at all, and I'm not sure it's even debatable. And that's before you even start looking at them in depth (teams he has scored against, etc), then, they are simply underwhelming.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's not weird at all though. United wouldn't be thinking about signing a forward that has scored 6 non-penalty goals for a mid-table team in La Liga, let alone one with his off-the-field "issues". The only objective thing going for him is he's an academy player. When the loan was made official some people on here were saying stuff like he was going to destroy the league, he was going to score 20 and that sort of nonsense. Now, the narrative for the people who want him back and the """"""neutrals"""""" is that 6 non-penalty goals is a good output and that it's enough to justify his return. We can argue about his performances (haven't seen him enough to judge) and his potential, but his stats are not impressive at all, and I'm not sure it's even debatable. And that's before you even start looking at them in depth (teams he has scored against, etc), then, they are simply underwhelming.
Spot on. Not worth the hassle.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why do people like you insist on separating penalties? I've never understood why people consider a pen less worthy than what could be a 2 yard tap in in "normal" play.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can’t be bothered to read everything. Can someone please provide a summary? Not opinion if we should keep or sell him, but a summary based on reliable reports. Are we keeping him or selling him and if we are selling then which are the linked clubs and what would be the reported fee?

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Why do people like you insist on separating penalties? I've never understood why people consider a pen less worthy than what could be a 2 yard tap in in "normal" play.
Because if a goalkeeper took all the penalties, a lot of them would still result in goals. That would not make the keeper an attacking threat. You're getting a goal scoring chance for free, one that the team would have gotten anyway. To score a tap-in you have to do the work and be in the correct position at the correct time.

Being the best penalty taker on a team is a valuable skill. The worth is the difference between how many penalties you scored, and how many the next best taker would have scored in your place. That's usually a very low number, because being an exceptional penalty taker is pretty rare and being a very good one is pretty common.

Last edited:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think some people forget Getafe isn't exactly paradise for an exciting forward. On paper they are a football team, but you wouldn't know that if you saw them play. Think his stats are pretty good considering the situation he was in, hopefully that will reflect in the fee United will get if they sell him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think some people forget Getafe isn't exactly paradise for an exciting forward. On paper they are a football team, but you wouldn't know that if you saw them play. Think his stats are pretty good considering the situation he was in, hopefully that will reflect in the fee United will get if they sell him.
Enes Unal did alright, so did Borja Mayoral. Soldado back in the day too. He did decent, the whole team basically were set up to let him just do his thing, so I wouldn't say the return is great. There were flashes of what he was before, that's what people will be buying.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can’t be bothered to read everything. Can someone please provide a summary? Not opinion if we should keep or sell him, but a summary based on reliable reports. Are we keeping him or selling him and if we are selling then which are the linked clubs and what would be the reported fee?
There are no reliable reports on any of that. It's all pure speculation.

Oecobius

Just had a notification on the Utd app about our retained list - MG is listed amongst the under 24s.

This is slightly concerning, I appreciate though that this may be standard practice even if we're looking to offload someone. Which I obviously hope is the case here.

Posh Red

Just had a notification on the Utd app about our retained list - MG is listed amongst the under 24s.

This is slightly concerning, I appreciate though that this may be standard practice even if we're looking to offload someone. Which I obviously hope is the case here.
It’s meaningless

JinnerJamie

Small ginger

He is under contract until 2026 or 27 I believe, the club will push to sell him this summer but may be forced into accepting another loan move.
Like it or not it would ridiculous to release him as we'd be owing him a big pay off that we can't afford, let alone giving away a valuable asset.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

He’s worth 50 million quid. We were always going to activate his extra year while we made the final decision.

Oecobius

Thanks all for that clarification! I would absolutely hope for a sale so that we can get some cash that can be put to good use.

GledTheRed

We were never just gonna release him.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Hoijlund has been confirmed to receive #9 jersey next season. Could they be planning to return #11 to Greenwood?

van Nistelrooy

Hoijlund has been confirmed to receive #9 jersey next season. Could they be planning to return #11 to Greenwood?
Says who? It's the logical move and he is wearing the #9 for Denmark this evening, but I don't think that will be known until the club or Rasmus confirm it.

Suggesting the move in shirt numbers is to relinquish it for that scumbag is absurd. They stripped Martial of the #9 to make way for Zlatan. The squad numbers belong to United and they'll do with them as they please.

KrasHammerhand

Enes Unal did alright, so did Borja Mayoral. Soldado back in the day too. He did decent, the whole team basically were set up to let him just do his thing, so I wouldn't say the return is great. There were flashes of what he was before, that's what people will be buying.
by you logic, all of our forwards should be pumping in goals. Ronaldo did alright, so did Rooney. I vaguely recall Van Persie having success with us.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Except the whole team weren’t set up around him to do his own thing. For at least a third of the season, Getafe opted to build most of their attacks from the opposite flank, often leaving Greenwood an unused resource on the right. Once they finally figured out they had a good player on the right capable of generating goals and assists, he immediately became one of their most important players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Except the whole team weren’t set up around him to do his own thing. For at least a third of the season, Getafe opted to build most of their attacks from the opposite flank, often leaving Greenwood an unused resource on the right. Once they finally figured out they had a good player on the right capable of generating goals and assists, he immediately became one of their most important players.
I mean in the sense that he was ask to do little or no defensive work on his side and had free roam to express himself. They built from the opposite flank because Rico was their most creative output all season, they weren't going to suddenly just funnel everything through him. Actually building from the other flank would create space for him, if anything. They certainly had to adapt to him, as I doubt they've ever had a player with his unique qualities or even understood what he was still good at, but the system certainly was tailored to give him opportunities.

SSSSnake

Could United be putting the “there were no suitable offers” angle to try and retain him for next season?

Bwuk

No, thanks. Juve are usually cheap stakes. We need fair money if we sell him, since we are hampered with FFP.
What's fair money?

I don't understand how people think we've got a leg to stand on when negotiating here? If we aren't going to register him, clubs aren't going to pay us big £££ for him knowing we don't want him here.

diarm

Scummy club for a scummy man. Perfect fit.

They'll need to pay for him though. No more handouts to beggars like Juve and Dortmund please.