Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I stopped being interested largely due to the question surrounding ownership & the Greenwood situation.
There is also a difference in things being known in the past versus individuals finding out about it later on in life as adults. The stuff about Giggs for example (and I'm not talking about shagging his brothers wife here), was probably widely known, but I got to know about it as an adult, around the time of the Greenwood stuff. I was also furious at the club for taking back Ronaldo & often spoke up about it.

I'm still not watching games or interacting much at all anywhere about the club due to the Greenwood situation, and will continue to stay away if the club doesn't cut him off. Not much loss for the club if I go, but if the club wants a person like Greenwood representing them, then I don't want anything to do with them either.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I stopped being interested largely due to the question surrounding ownership & the Greenwood situation.
There is also a difference in things being known in the past versus individuals finding out about it later on in life as adults. The stuff about Giggs for example (and I'm not talking about shagging his brothers wife here), was probably widely known, but I got to know about it as an adult, around the time of the Greenwood stuff. I was also furious at the club for taking back Ronaldo & often spoke up about it.

I'm still not watching games or interacting much at all anywhere about the club due to the Greenwood situation, and will continue to stay away if the club doesn't cut him off. Not much loss for the club if I go, but if the club wants a person like Greenwood representing them, then I don't want anything to do with them either.
Why do you feel the Ronaldo situation was so problematic?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I know I contribute to it far too much but I find it insane that there's 390 pages on here dedicated to a player that hasn't worn the United shirt since January 2022.

All for a player who scored 8 goals on loan at Getafe last season.

Why on earth are people so desperate for him to come back?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wasn't that only the infamous questionnaire, which existed in multiple versions?
It was a hacked email exchange between him and his lawyers as far as I remember, but it's been a long time since then.
My ultimate point being, there are a fair few of us out there for sure who are certainly ready to drop the club forever should they decide to take Greenwood back in. Of course, we aren't necessarily worth the same in supporter effects as Greenwood's value is on the pitch, but I'm sure for most of us it is more about our own feelings towards the club rather than punishing the club.

Similar to holding your friends accountable if they act like absolute shits, if they refuse to do right and continue to be shitheads, at some point you don't want to be associated with them or care for them.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
It was a hacked email exchange between him and his lawyers as far as I remember, but it's been a long time since then.
My ultimate point being, there are a fair few of us out there for sure who are certainly ready to drop the club forever should they decide to take Greenwood back in. Of course, we aren't necessarily worth the same in supporter effects as Greenwood's value is on the pitch, but I'm sure for most of us it is more about our own feelings towards the club rather than punishing the club.

Similar to holding your friends accountable if they act like absolute shits, if they refuse to do right and continue to be shitheads, at some point you don't want to be associated with them or care for them.
Sounds like the questionnaire then, which looked dodgy as feck and the validity of it has never been proven. Just the concept of asking such questions, and getting it written down, is a major no-no. I found it difficult to believe that anyone around him would be that stupid, so never really paid all that much attention to it. Just too good to be true that professional law firms representing one of the biggest sporting stars on the planet would essentially get him to admit rape on paper in order to defend him.

But yeah, there's always going to be people ready to drop the club for various reasons, but i don't really see why people are trying to big it up by claiming a substantial part of the fanbase is going to feck off. I mean, i have essentially given up on football due to the lack of actions taken towards clubs like Manchester City, how UEFA and FIFA are allowed to continue to function as they are. It's the same with people acting as if Manchester City getting away is going to result in some uproar, it'll just be business as usual. I'm holding on for now, waiting for the final outcome, but i couldn't really care less if there's only me or thousands of me feeling the same way, the number itself is irrelevant for my decision.

I fully get that some will drop their interest in the club if Greenwood was to return.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sounds like the questionnaire then, which looked dodgy as feck and the validity of it has never been proven. Just the concept of asking such questions, and getting it written down, is a major no-no. I found it difficult to believe that anyone around him would be that stupid, so never really paid all that much attention to it. Just too good to be true that professional law firms representing one of the biggest sporting stars on the planet would essentially get him to admit rape on paper in order to defend him.

But yeah, there's always going to be people ready to drop the club for various reasons, but i don't really see why people are trying to big it up by claiming a substantial part of the fanbase is going to feck off. I mean, i have essentially given up on football due to the lack of actions taken towards clubs like Manchester City, how UEFA and FIFA are allowed to continue to function as they are. It's the same with people acting as if Manchester City getting away is going to result in some uproar, it'll just be business as usual. I'm holding on for now, waiting for the final outcome, but i couldn't really care less if there's only me or thousands of me feeling the same way, the number itself is irrelevant for my decision.

I fully get that some will drop their interest in the club if Greenwood was to return.
I don't particularly care enough about any justice system to put my personal values and beliefs in their hand.
What I know is that the club has a history of covering up and helping great footballers who appear to be awful human beings, and if the club isn't willing to change its values then we simply do not share very core values, which will have me walk away.

I believe Ronaldo did something criminal and wrong. I believe Giggs has done something criminal and wrong. And I believe in my heart that Greenwood is an absolute monster after hearing that recording.
I also believe the club has been part in making this shit possible to get away with as a United player, and I want them to take very clear steps in making sure that won't continue, one of those steps is punishment of not letting them (especially Greenwood) have anything to do with the club anymore.

Club can have their stance, you can have yours, I'll have mine. I'm not demanding anyone else do the same, but on this & especially concerning Greenwood, I am not willing to debate it or change my opinion based on anyone else's point of view.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He has got 10G+6A at Getafe, with 181 min per G/A. Only Bruno and Hojlund did better for us.
That's more so an indictment of how terrible our attack was this past year than how good Greenwood was at Getafe. 10 goals is still respectable enough in his first year back from an 18 month absence from football, but its certainly nothing for us to hang our hats on in the absence of a proper striker.

Alemar

10 goals is still respectable enough in his first year back from an 18 month absence from football, but its certainly nothing for us to hang our hats on in the absence of a proper striker.
Still, his loan was not at all bad performance wise. Usually our loanees perform significantly worse, to be frank

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's fair to not want Grenwood at the club because of what he's done, but let's not try to pretend he isn't an excellent football player.

Can scoff at his Getafe performances and say he did only ok. He did win their POTS though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I know I contribute to it far too much but I find it insane that there's 390 pages on here dedicated to a player that hasn't worn the United shirt since January 2022.

All for a player who scored 8 goals on loan at Getafe last season.

Why on earth are people so desperate for him to come back?
You might have short memory but he was one of the very most exciting players to come through the academy. He had insane potential and some believe (me included) that he could still become a top player

Bobade

Why Stella over other beers or any other alcohol for that matter?
I think it is because it used to be stronger, therefore it attracted the lairy crowd, then they behaved as such and thus it obtained a certain image.

cafecillos

It's fair to not want Grenwood at the club because of what he's done, but let's not try to pretend he isn't an excellent football player.

Can scoff at his Getafe performances and say he did only ok. He did win their POTS though.
An unofficial award given by one of their sponsors after a Twitter vote. Only a few clubs (sponsored by the same beer company) do this award. But okay, I suppose the " best" player of the 12th team in La Liga is worth ignoring everything else, including at least one very probably real case of domestic violence.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
An unofficial award given by one of their sponsors after a Twitter vote. Only a few clubs (sponsored by the same beer company) do this award. But okay, I suppose the " best" player of the 12th team in La Liga is worth ignoring everything else, including at least one very probably real case of domestic violence.
There are plenty of reasons to oppose MG's return but this is a very silly argument. The 12th best premier league manager of 2020 just won the la liga and champions league double.

freddie the red

I’ll rephrase , would people stop supporting United if he was brought back
I've supported the club for 57 years through thick and thin. To me it should be an honour and a privilege to pull on the United shirt and represent the club and all its fans. He no longer deserves that privilege.
Should the playing hierarchy decide to reintegrate this individual into the squad then to me it signals a couple of things, a) they do not care about a domestic abuser representing the club and b) they care more about the perceived financial implications than they do about doing the right thing.
In my 60 odd years on this earth I have had female relatives, friends and colleagues and I simply could not countenance the idea of seeing this person in a United shirt.
Should the unthinkable happen I'd have to say I would no longer be a Manchester United supporter. There are more important things in life.

cafecillos

There are plenty of reasons to oppose MG's return but this is a very silly argument. The 12th best premier league manager of 2020 just won the la liga and champions league double.
Also, there aren't plenty of reasons to be in favour of his return, and his stats and "awards" are not one of them, which was my very obvious point, and you knew that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No disrespect Jip but that’s an equally silly argument

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Also, there aren't plenty of reasons to be in favour of his return, and his stats and "awards" are not one of them, which was my very obvious point, and you knew that.
No disrespect Jip but that’s an equally silly argument
They are both daft and totally ignore the limitations of where they were at the time. People are twisting themselves in knots to deride MG's ability and not bad, but not great, season after a two year lay off on one hand, while others downplay DV, believe or convince themselves he was exonerated, or plain don't care on the other. It's all tiresome.

cafecillos

They are both daft and totally ignore the limitations of where they were at the time. People are twisting themselves in knots to deride MG's ability and not bad, but not great, season after a two year lay off on one hand, while others downplay DV, believe or convince themselves he was exonerated, or plain don't care on the other. It's all tiresome.
No knot-tying necessary at all though: 6 non-penalty goals in 35 matches against professional footballers, and the "player of the season award" is an unofficial award given by one of the club's sponsors after a social media vote. I'm not even giving any opinion whatsoever.

Carl

Not sure why you've directed that at me when that's not what I said.

dcrompton

Regarding the Stella = wifebeater nickname I always thought that, alongside the high alcohol content, it was linked with Marlon Brando in the film ‘A Streetcar named desire’. He beats his wife, dressed in vest, screaming ‘Stella!’

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Discrediting his performances this year is obviously being used to justify the agenda that he shouldn't return because he's good at football. Its not a very convincing argument given we already know the level of quality he's capable of during his teenage years. All of which can of course be decoupled from saying someone doesn't want him back because of the off the field behavior.

Carl

Discrediting his performances this year is obviously being used to justify the agenda that he shouldn't return because he's good at football. Its not a very convincing argument given we already know the level of quality he's capable of during his teenage years. All of which can of course be decoupled from saying someone doesn't want him back because of the off the field behavior.
Yeh it's weird. You can say you don't want him to return to the club because of the off field stuff and also acknowledge he's a very good football player. Besides, if he wasn't a good player this wouldn't even be a conversation. He'd have been released from the club ages ago.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeh it's weird. You can say you don't want him to return to the club because of the off field stuff and also acknowledge he's a very good football player. Besides, if he wasn't a good player this wouldn't even be a conversation. He'd have been released from the club ages ago.
Well, he probably wouldn’t as the club wouldn’t be able to justify that.

See Mendy currently taking City to court. Or Gyffi being at Everton for years.