Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

El-Manos

15-20m is as good as we are going to get, need to get him sold before pre season starts as we all know club don’t want him back and he’ll never play for us again but they will have to let him train if he hasn’t been sold.
That’s a terrible price.

ArmaDino

Can't believe he is going to make it back to pre season
You guys still don't see it?

INEOS are playing the PR game to perfection. First they are going to show us that they are trying to sell him by talking to other clubs.

Then they are going to demand higher fees that the other clubs aren't willing to pay.

Now they are slowly bringing the idea that he has to train with the first team squad.

After that it will be: 'we couldn't sell him, might as well use him"

They never planned on selling a potential 100+ million asset on the cheap. Not with Sancho out the door, and Rashford and Antony misfiring.

lex talionis

United are in a terrible position where everyone knows they have to sell the player, a footballer who has the potential to become world class. Take 20m if offered and move on. A real shame it has come to this, but it has indeed come to this.

Alex B

I think regardless of one's stance on guilt, whether or not being found guilty in a court of law is the measure, if his now wife has forgiven him or if you think he is a future balon dor prospect - with the fan base being so split it is quite simply impossible to keep him from a fan base and subsequent commercial aspect. Has to go, regardless of opinions/beliefs

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

INEOS are playing the PR game to perfection. First they are going to show us that they are trying to sell him by talking to other clubs.

Then they are going to demand higher fees that the other clubs aren't willing to pay.

Now they are slowly bringing the idea that he has to train with the first team squad.

They never planned on selling a potential 100+ million asset on the cheap. Not with Sancho out the door, and Rashford and Antony misfiring.
Stop peddling this nonsense on the Caf. Some posters are already anxious about the outcome.

Gandalf

Yeah wicked idea

Then we can’t sign the players we want because we don’t have enough money

Hold out for the max we can get, obviously. Give no shits what the player prefers
15-20M is the max, nobody is paying more. Don't believe all the INEOS guff about not being able to spend either, they are just lowering fan expectations. If INEOS wanted to blow 300M this window they could and the fee for MG has nothing to do with it.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Normally I’d agree after the goal scoring form this season but I think many clubs are going to find it hard to justify 40m signings to stay within spending limits
40 millions for McTominay is about fair. Newcastle used to slap 50 millions on Longstaff. Chelsea sold freaking Solanke for about 20-30 millions.

We can't keep getting mugged in the transfer market. Other teams continually slap 70-80 millions on their players when we come asking and bid as low as 10-20 millions when we are open to selling our players. We can't let this trend continue.

Sir Erik ten Hag

15-20M is the max, nobody is paying more. Don't believe all the INEOS guff about not being able to spend either, they are just lowering fan expectations. If INEOS wanted to blow 300M this window they could and the fee for MG has nothing to do with it.
Aren't we hampered by FFP?

golden_blunder

Staff
40 millions for McTominay is about fair. Newcastle used to slap 50 millions on Longstaff. Chelsea sold freaking Solanke for about 20-30 millions.

We can't keep getting mugged in the transfer market. Other teams continually slap 70-80 millions on their players when we come asking and bid as low as 10-20 millions when we are open to selling our players. We can't let this trend continue.
I think it is fair I’m agreeing. What I’m saying is that I think a lot of the PL teams are going to struggle to do deals at that price range

Bebe

Please let this be the case.

DevilRed

Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

He's getting sold one way or the other.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I don’t care if the highest bid is a fiver. Get him off the payroll
Yep, this is where I am at as well right now. I have always been in favour for his return "home" and a nice redemption story with him continuing where he left off at United and becoming a world-beater instead of a woman-beater (no pun intended, apologies if this sounds crass to anyone), however I'm not sure it's all worth the fuss anymore and he would probably be better served continuing his career anywhere else. However, I don't know what United management expect to get for him after their extremely poor handling of the whole saga. If they have indeed come to the conclusion that he won't be taken back then they might as well sell him to whosoever is interested before pre-season begins, regardless of the cost. Why bother with him during pre-season if they want him gone? His isn't your ordinary case of a player a club wants to get rid of, like Maguire and McTom last summer, I'm sure they realise it.

Stop peddling this nonsense on the Caf. Some posters are already anxious about the outcome.
I'm not sure what's so wrong about what the poster said, if discussion on this transfer topic has been allowed in this thread. I guess some posters are just as anxious about the outcome going the other way (for football reasons only, those who don't follow and aren't interested in footballers private lives, before someone accuses anyone of defending anything).

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Although what you’re describing is entirely plausible given the club’s previous attempt to bring him back, it’s belied by today’s reporting by Ornstein that there are ongoing discussions with OM. Ornstein is as credible as it gets, so even if one were to not believe the previous links to the likes of Atletico, Juve, and Lazio; this like seems quite credible. Whether SJR is prepared to sell for such a low price is another hurdle that would need to be overcome.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m entitled to my opinion just like you are to yours.
I’m just saying that it’s true. Some posters are anxious about the topic. Wheat we don’t need is posters coming in starting the whole conversation from the beginning again. It serves no purpose at this stage

Gandalf

Aren't we hampered by FFP?
Those reports have been grossly overstated and we are also not prevented from using a lot of the same loopholes that other clubs have used if are inclined to. Chelsea effectively sold their property to themselves and booked a nice profit, nothing to stop INEOS doing likewise if they want to pad the balance sheet and start spending. So far as the Profit and Sustainability stuff goes, we are not on the PL radar for overspending and in no danger of sanctions or points deductions with a huge deficit for the 20/21 season about to come off the 3 year rolling figure on July 1st. The only thing preventing spending is INEOS not wanting to spend which is their perogative but it has very little to do with what we do or don't make from selling Greenwood.

El Zoido

It can’t happen. I’d personally be more than happy to have him back, but it’d be a PR disaster and would do the club no good at all. This will follow him forever and the club doesn’t need to be associated with any of it.

OleGunnar20

I've got a sneaky feeling they're wanting to bring him back into the fold y'know. Hopefully I'm just paranoid..

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the worst thing about this thread is that to the untrained eye, @moses, @Wibble and @golden_blunder come across as the sane, articulate ones, with a strong sense of what’s wrong and right. luckily i’ve been here long enough not to be fooled by it.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Tend to agree, I think we might see him lining up next season.

ArmaDino

It's a forum mate. Last I checked, we don't live in the USSR were you're only allowed to have a certain viewpoint.
Although what you’re describing is entirely plausible given the club’s previous attempt to bring him back, it’s belied by today’s reporting by Ornstein that there are ongoing discussions with OM. Ornstein is as credible as it gets, so even if one were to not believe the previous links to the likes of Atletico, Juve, and Lazio; this like seems quite credible. Whether SJR is prepared to sell for such a low price is another hurdle that would need to be overcome.
I imagine the club is trying to exhaust all possible avenues first before they can do the aforementioned scenario. So naturally they are going to have talks with everyone, except these talks won't lead anywhere because of "offer is too low". And as you know, Lazio, Juve, couldn't meet our valuation for the player.

Let's think about it logically: Why would our team allow him to train with the squad if there is no intention to bring him back?

People like Schweisteiger and Sancho have been sent to train with the U-18s for far far less. I doubt our higher ups would want to bring Greenwood back into the fold and risk our squad harmony if they plan to sell him. Banishing him to the reserves would have definitely sent a clear message and it's not like other clubs don't know that we are looking to get rid.

Granted he could be sold tomorrow. But for now, this is my conspiracy theory on the matter.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Would we be interested in buying him for £20m if he was at another club? Not a chance.

Any idea that a figure like that is 'too low' is nonsense.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's a forum mate. Last I checked, we don't live in the USSR were you're only allowed to have a certain viewpoint.

I imagine the club is trying to exhaust all possible avenues first before they can do the aforementioned scenario. So naturally they are going to have talks with everyone, except these talks won't lead anywhere because of "offer is too low". And as you know, Lazio, Juve, couldn't meet our valuation for the player.

Let's think about it logically: Why would our team allow him to train with the squad if there is no intention to bring him back?

People like Schweisteiger and Sancho have been sent to train with the U-18s for far far less. I doubt our higher ups would want to bring Greenwood back into the fold and risk our squad harmony if they plan to sell him. Banishing him to the reserves would have definitely sent a clear message and it's not like other clubs don't know that we are looking to get rid.

Granted he could be sold tomorrow. But for now, this is my conspiracy theory on the matter.
They will let Sancho train too. Doesn’t necessarily mean that a) they will come back or b) they they will train with the first team group. It may well be individual training sessions

golden_blunder

Staff

Btw it’s a private forum. So we can get all USSR if necessary

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Yeah because if there’s one thing that instantly strikes you about Ineos/SJR, it’s that they play the PR game and lie.

He’s not coming back… embrace it, it’s not happening.

ArmaDino

Yeah because if there’s one thing that instantly strikes you about Ineos/SJR, it’s that they play the PR game and lie.

He’s not coming back… embrace it, it’s not happening.
Have INEOS released anything about Greenwood though?

I remember that it was Arnold/Murtough who released the brief before SJR took over.

Btw it’s a private forum. So we can get all USSR if necessary
I wish you tbh. The way some posters insult our own manager with 0 reprecussions is just nauseating.

But for whatever reason me listing a theory that I have generates more controversy.

golden_blunder

Staff
Have INEOS released anything about Greenwood though?

I remember that it was Arnold/Murtough who released the brief before SJR took over.

I wish you tbh. The way some posters insult our own manager with 0 reprecussions is just nauseating.

But for whatever reason me listing a theory that I have generates more controversy.
No, you reopening a discussion from the beginning again when it’s been done to death is what’s grating. And I think you know it.

let’s leave this thread as factual updates from now

Raoul

Admin
Staff

That’s true, although it should be noted that players have been sold before the deadline even though they were training with the team. In Greenwood’s case, if SJR is absolutely committed to selling, he likely won’t allow him to train with the first team at all. If on the other hand this is all a protracted ruse to keep him, then it could very well be revealed if we see him training with the rest of the team.

Yakuza_devils

Others club are playing poker with us. Let's call their bluff by announcing we want Greenwood back. Train with us, play preseason games for us and start 1 or 2 games early in the season.

I'm sure there will be 50M offers coming in. I know this is a controversial take but we are not run by Arnold/Murtough anymore. We need to be good at selling players to maximise our profit and hence FFP.

I maintain that Greenwood is a 80M talent and selling him now for 40-50M is already a very reasonable price. No way we should accept 15M!

Gandalf

Others club are playing poker with us. Let's call their bluff by announcing we want Greenwood back. Train with us, play preseason games for us and start 1 or 2 games early in the season.

I'm sure there will be 50M offers coming in. I know this is a controversial take but we are not run by Arnold/Murtough anymore. We need to be good at selling players to maximise our profit and hence FFP.

I maintain that Greenwood is a 80M talent and selling him now for 40-50M is already a very reasonable price. No way we should accept 15M!
I am tempted to say facts don’t care about your feelings. The notion that anyone is going to give us 40-50M is a complete fallacy and people need to stop with that nonsense.

Take a look at the transfer market and see how much players are moving for. Now factor in that he won’t move to a club in England, Barca and Real have no interest in him and Juve have dropped their interest due to his baggage: You are not getting 40-50M from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 and the remaining Spanish and Italian clubs interested never sign players for that kind of fee. He is going to be sold for no more than 20M and we can consider ourselves lucky to get that after having to practically pay Getafe to take him on loan a year ago.