Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As I said in the transfer tweet thread. I think SJR should sign him for Nice. European football. Super shop window. Keeps 50 million knocking around the INEOS clubs. Still a tiny tiny chance he comes back once it all blows over. He can do his apologising in France and live it up banging them in in an easy league

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The royal family which owns Man City has a member (who they protected) who sodomised a farmer with a cattle prod he had a business dispute with and then drove over him with a truck. And that's just the thing that was caught on video.
There’s mad stuff too about the Saudis testing weapons on African migrants who try to get in illegally though the mountains. As in they use them as target practice. Barbaric doesn’t even begin to cover it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The royal family which owns Man City has a member (who they protected) who sodomised a farmer with a cattle prod he had a business dispute with and then drove over him with a truck. And that's just the thing that was caught on video.
I thought it may have been a reference to the servant abuse scandal from 15 years ago.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
What you're describing is literally just a wide forward though, and all of his heat maps are available on whoscored. He plays on the wing with absolutely no defensive responsibility, you can draw out any nominal starting formations you want, but he plays like an inside forward.
Not sure what you are responding to as my post clearly says he has been given the brief of no responsibility of defensive work, the manager is quite vocal and is very happy with his performances so if he wasn't doing the defensive work when it's asked of him then it's only logical to assume he wouldn't be as happy with him which leads me to believe that's the role he has been given in the team.

Tarrou

It's a new chapter now, and I really hope INEOS take the approach of moving on from this bollocks and sell him this summer.

IRN-BRUno

Getafe's game at Alaves at the weekend got paused because of 'Greenwood die' chants and they continued after that with their manager complaining the game should have been stopped.

Whatever abuse he's getting over there is only going to be far worse if he comes back. If he just wants to get on with playing football then it's the worst decision he could make.

Yakuza_devils

Getafe's game at Alaves at the weekend got paused because of 'Greenwood die' chants and they continued after that with their manager complaining the game should have been stopped.

Whatever abuse he's getting over there is only going to be far worse if he comes back. If he just wants to get on with playing football then it's the worst decision he could make.
The club has confirmed he is not wanted back. Well, according to Getafe President after discussion with our club. Man Utd didn't deny this.

I think he is as good as gone. Just hope we get a decent fees.

Dion

Not sure what you are responding to as my post clearly says he has been given the brief of no responsibility of defensive work, the manager is quite vocal and is very happy with his performances so if he wasn't doing the defensive work when it's asked of him then it's only logical to assume he wouldn't be as happy with him which leads me to believe that's the role he has been given in the team.
I'm replying to your post. Since it's an argument that Greenwood is playing a wide midfielder role which makes his goal tally somehow less legitimate a criticism, which isn't the case because his role in the team is absolutely nothing like a wide midfielder.

If any of that is confusing I suggest you go back and read the conversation back over from my actual first reply.

Bondi77

Not sure anyone is saying that SAF would have nipped it in the bud, im certainly not. What I’m saying is that Fergie would not have contemplated bringing him back, he’d have told the club to sell him
I wonder if Fergie knew that Giggsy was shagging his sister in law.
Some of the team would have known for sure.

Dion

I wonder if Fergie knew that Giggsy was shagging his sister in law.
Some of the team would have known for sure.
Lets also not fall down the path of drawing any kind of equivalence between rape and shagging your sister in law. The latter is a terrible thing to do, the former is a violent crime.

Cloud7

And also why it makes no sense for the club to bring him back. It’s simply not worth the constant narrative. It’s United. There will be similar chants every week. These chants will be in the news which will feed itself in a cycle of this story never going away. When United inevitably have a bad result there will be a great narrative by everyone that United sold their soul by bringing him back and they’re still crap. On the balance of things it’s simply not worth it for the club.

And for Greenwood on a personal level it certainly can’t be worth it. There will be no such thing as trying to move on for him in English football, he’ll be reminded of that every week, and I imagine that will take one hell of a mental toll.

It’s best for all parties if he is permanently sold to a club outside of England this summer.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Quality control
A "cursory Google search" that you yourself could have done better it seems, as one of those three links has this headline: "Domestic violence surges after a football match ends". Now, I'm not an English native speaker but I dare say "surge" is not the same as "lower". Another of those links read in the second paragraph: "Unfortunately, reports of domestic violence in the UK surge during football competitions". The only fact here is that the implication that Mason Greenwood doing well at United would reduce DV is ludicrous at best, to the point it's incredibly hard to believe it's an argument made in good faith. Because, as @Pickle85 has already pointed out, even if it would keep a few United abusers slightly happier on matchdays, it would make fans of other teams more upset, and subsequently more likely to engage in abusive or violent behaviours. But even if we somehow thought there would be a net gain as United fans are more likely to commit DV than fans of other teams (which of course they aren't) that would totally be offset by the message that it's perfectly fine to employ a player that could very well be a domestic abuser. TL;DR: employing a likely domestic abuser in a high profile job categorically doesn't reduce DV, and it's disgusting someone is trying to argue it does.
Not going to argue the DV and sports link. It's very well documented. And considering United has one of the biggest fanbases in the world, YES you are likely minimizing DV in the world if United does well.

I mean just consider this chat group. Would any of you be talking about Domestic Abuse if Greenwood was gone? Probably not. The fact that he's still here drives a conversation because of what happened. And I'm glad because I think awareness and perspective is what helps improve communities with complex issues like this.

I don't care about empty gestures like let's get rid of this person because they did something horrible. Might sound great in your heads, but running away doesn't solve any problems. Instead we should hold people accountable and make them learn from their mistakes. It's harder and makes everyone uncomfortable but I strongly believe it leads to better outcomes. There is no other way to hold him accountable since the courts acquitted him. So consider what you're proposing. Let him move somewhere else and hide away from what he did.

By no means is having him return mean that you are okay with what he's done. People only think 1 thing can be true at a time and that's just a limitation of how you choose to think and perceive the world. Hold him accountable, raise awareness for domestic violence, and stop sucking at football. Why not do all?

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
By no means is having him return mean that you are okay with what he's done. People only think 1 thing can be true at a time and that's just a limitation of how you choose to think and perceive the world. Hold him accountable, raise awareness for domestic violence, and stop sucking at football. Why not do all?
How do you propose United should go about doing this?

Bear in mind that Greenwood himself has never admitted anything beyond having "made mistakes" (which could refer to anything), and United themselves are on record stating they do not believe he is guilty of the original charges.

Should United begin this new chapter by officially declaring him an abuser that the club intends to (help) reform... through...what?

And do you think he would be cool with that?

Sorry, but this all sounds hopelessly unrealistic.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
and stop sucking at football.
Yep, because that's what is truly important.

Who cares if a few women are raped by our players, as long as we win! And... as a bonus, by fielding rapists, as long as they are good players, we actually reduce the amount of domestic violence in the world because United has lots of fans!

Possibly the most cretinous and embarrassing take in a thread full of cretinous and embarassing takes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean just consider this chat group. Would any of you be talking about Domestic Abuse if Greenwood was gone? Probably not. The fact that he's still here drives a conversation because of what happened. And I'm glad because I think awareness and perspective is what helps improve communities with complex issues like this
And this is why United should do its societal duty and field a team of criminals of all kinds. I personally think illegal downloading, shoplifting, and tax fraud (moreso than bald fr.aud) are key issues, so which players should United be hiring to best stimulate these discussions and increase awareness? Alternatively, existing players can be moved into those areas of business. I know it may not be their natural position, but take one for society and all that.

Last edited:

Waynne

Hope he's sold as he'll suffer worse abuse back in England.

Such a pity this all went down. He's such a talented footballer.

SecondFig

Yep, because that's what is truly important.

Who cares if a few women are raped by our players, as long as we win! And... as a bonus, by fielding rapists, as long as they are good players, we actually reduce the amount of domestic violence in the world because United has lots of fans!

Possibly the most cretinous and embarrassing take in a thread full of cretinous and embarassing takes.
Well said. Incredibly depressing seeing so many fans argue that he should be brought back, or that the real shame is that we've lost a talented player. The real shame in all this is what Greenwood did to his partner.

Bondi77

Lets also not fall down the path of drawing any kind of equivalence between rape and shagging your sister in law. The latter is a terrible thing to do, the former is a violent crime.
Please don't!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not going to argue the DV and sports link. It's very well documented. And considering United has one of the biggest fanbases in the world, YES you are likely minimizing DV in the world if United does well.

I mean just consider this chat group. Would any of you be talking about Domestic Abuse if Greenwood was gone? Probably not. The fact that he's still here drives a conversation because of what happened. And I'm glad because I think awareness and perspective is what helps improve communities with complex issues like this.

I don't care about empty gestures like let's get rid of this person because they did something horrible. Might sound great in your heads, but running away doesn't solve any problems. Instead we should hold people accountable and make them learn from their mistakes. It's harder and makes everyone uncomfortable but I strongly believe it leads to better outcomes. There is no other way to hold him accountable since the courts acquitted him. So consider what you're proposing. Let him move somewhere else and hide away from what he did.

Using the DV and sports link means nothing in this scenario as Greenwood is a) no guarantee to make us any more successful and b) is an alleged DV abuser himself, so you're not taking into account what impact that has, because that's not what the studies you're referring to do.

What a nonsense point this paragraph is. He doesn't drive any conversation, he doesn't even admit to doing anything, so how is someone advancing the discourse there?

What is "empty" about someone losing their job for doing something shit? Losing their job is making them accountable? It's a quite obvious way to show we don't approve of his alleged behaviour. Actually consider what accountable means, instead of saying empty words yourself.

All three of those things can happen if we move him on. Accountable - no longer gets to play for United as a result of his actions, raise awareness for DV - already done and our actions show allyship that even talented players face some consequences of their actions, stop sucking at football - as an academy product, all his transfer fee is deemed as profit and will help us improve the squad.

Also feck off with you're condescension of "that's just a limitation of how you chose to think and perceive the world". You've not even correctly used a study to back your point up, so maybe that's a limitation on how you chose to think?

Pickle85

Using the DV and sports link means nothing in this scenario as Greenwood is a) no guarantee to make us any more successful and b) is an alleged DV abuser himself, so you're not taking into account what impact that has, because that's not what the studies you're referring to do.

What a nonsense point this paragraph is. He doesn't drive any conversation, he doesn't even admit to doing anything, so how is someone advancing the discourse there?

What is "empty" about someone losing their job for doing something shit? Losing their job is making them accountable? It's a quite obvious way to show we don't approve of his alleged behaviour. Actually consider what accountable means, instead of saying empty words yourself.

All three of those things can happen if we move him on. Accountable - no longer gets to play for United as a result of his actions, raise awareness for DV - already done and our actions show allyship that even talented players face some consequences of their actions, stop sucking at football - as an academy product, all his transfer fee is deemed as profit and will help us improve the squad.

Also feck off with you're condescension of "that's just a limitation of how you chose to think and perceive the world". You've not even correctly used a study to back your point up, so maybe that's a limitation on how you chose to think?
Well said

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Spot on.

cafecillos

What is very well documented that DV rises after sporting events, it's irrelevant if it's committed by the fans of the losing or the winning team(s). Implying that we should keep fans of big sports teams happy to tackle DV is an absolutely insane approach, and I think you know it.

About the awareness angle, what exactly would United be raising awareness of? The same with the accountability. What does he need to be held accountable for? And you have the cheek to talk about empty gestures, come on. He wouldn't be held accountable and there would be no raising awareness of anything, because that would be an admission of guilt and that's not going to happen. The only thing that might happen is United sucking less at football, and even that is not a given by any means. Then again, you already know all this too.

And, for the 1000th time, the courts didn't acquit him.

cafecillos

Brilliant post, you made my points much better and more thoroughly than me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Such an ignorant post.

“waffle waffle waffle waffle.. and make us not suck at football”

wish people would stop making up sh1te excuses and stand behind their opinions. The key point in that drivelous post is the last few words. That’s the real point.

At least then I know who to ignore

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Raise awareness by doing nothing. What an utterly ludicrous take.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hope he's sold as he'll suffer worse abuse back in England.

Such a pity this all went down. He's such a talented footballer.
Abuse should not be an argument. Not the first player to get a tough time on the pitch, just look at Becks or Rooney for example

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Abuse should not be an argument. Not the first player to get a tough time on the pitch, just look at Becks or Rooney for example
Round for the umpteenth time, here we go again:

Do you think it's relevant to compare Greenwood and Beckham?

If so, please elaborate. Why do you think that's a relevant comparison?

(Let me just remind you what the consensus on those two players was/is:

One of them was "unpopular" because non-United England fans pretended he had cost England a World Cup trophy. The other is "unpopular" because by the looks of it he beat up his girlfriend and threatened to rape her.

End of reminder, I guess.)

So, again - why is this a relevant comparison?

ETA Rooney? What did he do again? Shag grannies (consensual relationships, by all accounts)? Drink? Fags? Chips? Grannies and chips?

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

One of them was "unpopular" because non-United England fans pretended he had cost England a World Cup trophy. The other is "unpopular" because by the looks of it he beat up his girlfriend and threatened to rape her.

ETA Rooney? What did he do again? Shag grannies (consensual relationships, by all accounts)? Drink? Fags? Chips? Grannies and chips?
Becks got heavy abuse, death threats, etc. And so did many players before and they kept on playing.
So either we dont mind what Greenwood did or we sell him. But to sell him for the reason to spare him from abuse is a stupid argument.

Waynne

I don't know about all that but Grannies and Chips is an awesome combo :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

He could showcase the difficulty in securing convictions and how many are willing to overlook the actions of perpetrators:wenger: