Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Apparently Dortmund are now interested. Prepare yourself for a loan offer with an option to buy for 10m.

Yakuza_devils

Apparently Dortmund are now interested. Prepare yourself for a loan offer with an option to buy for 10m.
We all know he is a very good player. Whoever get him next will have a very good player with higher ceiling.

Unfortunately, 10-20M is really not a bad price considering the entire world knows we want to get rid and his past history have big effects on his price. There is a big risks of fans backslash if Greenwood was signed.

Personally, for his own development he should go Juventus. They are as big a club as us.

Rasmus_9

I very much doubt INEOS would sell on the cheap. The days of poor decisions thankfully seem to be over.

Yakuza_devils

I very much doubt INEOS would sell on the cheap. The days of poor decisions thankfully seem to be over.
Well, this is different. Given the circumstances we would be lucky if we could find a buyer let alone expecting high fees. Now, we have Getafe, Dortmund, Juventus and Napoli interested. Hopefully, you are on to something.

Why not 70 million pounds outright signing for both Sancho and greenwood?
One of the moneyball teams who fancy themselves to rehab players on/off the pitch might be into this.

Greenwood at 22 and Sancho at 23 (?) on each wing for £70m, at a time where last summer Kolo Muani's moving for £78m and Mount for £55m?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One of the moneyball teams who fancy themselves to rehab players on/off the pitch might be into this.

Greenwood at 22 and Sancho at 23 (?) on each wing for £70m, at a time where last summer Kolo Muani's moving for £78m and Mount for £55m?
Wouldn't be much of a 'moneyball' team if they paid £70m for two players we're desperate to offload.

Chumpsbechumps

Interesting to see what SJR does here. On one hand , Greenwood is very much a player that our club would be screaming out for but on another there’s all the controversy surrounding him. He’s young , got good potential and fits in with longer term goals.

From a moral standpoint it’s a no brainer but look at the 4 times champs and Chelsea’s success. All dodgy AF so if you are a businessman like SJR you only look at risk-cost benefit. What he will be wondering is if the controversy will die down and if it will impact brand United. That will ultimately be the deciding factor.

So many variables at play with United , I’d nearly forgotten about MG.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Roy keane got arrested for assaulting someone I think.

Ryan Giggs with his brothers wife

Ra'vel Morrison's escapades

I mean there are more, to think there wasn't player issues when Fergie was here is rose tinted
Keane's repressed demon was restrained, sometimes encouraged up until the disadvantages outweighed the advantages

Ravel was kicked out, same as the likes of Gillespie and Bojan

Saf probably knew nothing of Giggs little games

There was a time when united didn't focus on the academy anymore. It was the time greenwood burst into scene. Since then things had improved. Fletcher's appointment as bridge between the academy and the first team was one of the decisions taken

Unam333

Interesting to see what SJR does here. On one hand , Greenwood is very much a player that our club would be screaming out for but on another there’s all the controversy surrounding him. He’s young , got good potential and fits in with longer term goals.

From a moral standpoint it’s a no brainer but look at the 4 times champs and Chelsea’s success. All dodgy AF so if you are a businessman like SJR you only look at risk-cost benefit. What he will be wondering is if the controversy will die down and if it will impact brand United. That will ultimately be the deciding factor.

So many variables at play with United , I’d nearly forgotten about MG.
I actually think Greenwood won't fit with our long term goals. He is a footballer with one the lowest defensive workrates. Or we should sell Rashford, another player who has low defensive workrate.

cafecillos

How is Manchester fecking United "screaming out" for a player that has scored 8 league goals for Getafe? I know the club has seen better times, but some fans should have a bit more self-respect than that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
How is Manchester fecking United "screaming out" for a player that has scored 8 league goals for Getafe? I know the club has seen better times, but some fans should have a bit more self-respect than that.
That's more than Garnacho, Rashford and every other United player, barring Fernandes and Hojlund.

Of all the reasons to not want him back, his goal tally isn't even top three.

marktan

He played further back closer to midfield for Getafe. His all round game has improved for it.

Left footed forwards are a rare commodity and if he fulfils his potential he could be similar to what Salah became. A lot of clubs would take that punt for £20m, especially since he's already a very good player.

cafecillos

That's more than Garnacho, Rashford and every other United player, barring Fernandes and Hojlund.

Of all the reasons to not want him back, his goal tally isn't even top three.
Agreed, it's just I'm sick and tired of the ludicrous fawning over his actual performances on the pitch. There are dozens of better players in the top leagues that are better than 2024 Mason Greenwood, both in terms of general play and statistical output.

He played further back closer to midfield for Getafe. His all round game has improved for it.

Left footed forwards are a rare commodity and if he fulfils his potential he could be similar to what Salah became. A lot of clubs would take that punt for £20m, especially since he's already a very good player.
Can someone who has watched most of his matches confirm this? Has Getafe been allowing a player in midfield do as little work as he's been doing?

marktan

Agreed, it's just I'm sick and tired of the ludicrous fawning over his actual performances on the pitch. There are dozens of better players in the top leagues that are better than 2024 Mason Greenwood, both in terms of general play and statistical output.

Can someone who has watched most of his matches confirm this? Has Getafe been allowing a player in midfield do as little work as he's been doing?
Look at the starting lineups for most of the season - he was often playing the left side of a midfield, transitioning into the left sided attacker. When I watched him play early in the season he definitely was playing further back then he used to at United.

Chumpsbechumps

You should quote a persons post if you want to engage what they say.

How many United players have scored 8 goals this season ?

Don’t confuse me saying the club needs more goal scoring forward options, with me saying I want Greenwood to be kept. I never gave any indication that I wanted them to do that.

cafecillos

Don’t confuse me saying the club needs more goal scoring forward options, with me saying I want Greenwood to be kept. I never gave any indication that I wanted them to do that.
I didn't say you said it, so all good.

Dion

Look at the starting lineups for most of the season - he was often playing the left side of a midfield, transitioning into the left sided attacker. When I watched him play early in the season he definitely was playing further back then he used to at United.
He hasn't been though, he's been a classical inside forward all season

https://fbref.com/en/players/58eee997/Mason-Greenwood put the last 365 day scouting report to Att Mid/Wingers and you'll see he ranks average compared to that cohort in most stuff (but absolutely rank rubbish in defensive output).

Pickle85

So do you want Greenwood to be kept by us?

Ollie Derbyshire

How can you say he‘s been doing little work but ask for some who’s watched the actual games to confirm the position he’s played?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
More than Diaz,Gakpo,Martinelli,Grealish,Bernado Silva,Doku,Rashford,Garnacho,Antony etc have managed this season. He also has a better strike rate that Olise in the PL who we might buy. There isn't much on an argument to get rid for football reasons. He would be kept if it wasn't for all the off field stuff. He is still miles better than what we have.

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

So do you want Greenwood to be kept by us?
Not particularly , but what does it matter ? The sports a cesspit at the upper levels. Corrupt , soulless cheating pile of sh*t with the EPL dominating champs at the top, legitimised cause the league can’t say no to anybody’s money.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He hasn't been though, he's been a classical inside forward all season

https://fbref.com/en/players/58eee997/Mason-Greenwood put the last 365 day scouting report to Att Mid/Wingers and you'll see he ranks average compared to that cohort in most stuff (but absolutely rank rubbish in defensive output).
Ive watched 70% of Getafe games this year and hes played as a winger in a 442 system more often than not.

One of the forwards drops back out of possession and hes clearly given license to stay higher up and not have the same defensive responsibility as others as hes clearly valued higher up to affect transitional play from a playmaking perspective.

Hes a higher level than any player on this team already, that not to suggest he would warrant a place in our XI but hes done very well as their manager criticised his work ethic early doors but now he plays every game and doesnt seem to get injured.

Ive made clear I think he has the ability to contribute to us but I think he would rather move on and put this behind him, even when Jude made those comments he asked that the Spanish FA drop it, he doesnt wamt the fuss, he seems to want to just get his head dowm and play ball now and its probably best for all parties he does that elsewhere.

I think his game would suit Italian leagues better

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Realistically if Napoli are selling Osimhen and Kharva for big money this summer, they could potentially stretch to £30m and he'd be a decent Kharva replacement for them. I see them paying more than Juve to be honest.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not particularly , but what does it matter ? The sports a cesspit at the upper levels. Corrupt , soulless cheating pile of sh*t with the EPL dominating champs at the top, legitimised cause the league can’t say no to anybody’s money.
What’s any of that got to do with what MG is accused off? Nadda

Posh Red

At this point you have to be on the wind up. Your use of the word 'unfortunate' seems to imply that he had no choice other than to (allegedly) violently assault his partner and is now being unjustly vilified. 'What he has been through'...fecking hell. He brought it on himself.
I decided not to engage with that poster any further. Anyone that has that mindset is too alien for me to ever find any common ground with.

cafecillos

How can you say he‘s been doing little work but ask for some who’s watched the actual games to confirm the position he’s played?
Because I knew the stats for the former but not for the latter, and I haven't watched enough Getafe games to know first-hand. Now I've seen a season heatmap.

Gavinb33

Keane was indeed arrested in 1999 over an incident in which he himself was injured. However, the bar staff testified Keane's 'victim' was the aggressor, and had been asked to leave on various occasions before hassling Keane.

Giggs having an affair with his brother's wife is awful conduct, but not illegal. Nowhere near as bad as Greenwood's indiscretions. I appreciate Giggs is now on trial, but these refer to allegations made after he left United's playing/coaching staff.

As for Morrison, he was quickly removed from the club and never made the most of his talent.

No, it's because what Greenwood did is utterly reprehensible and should not be tolerated by the club.

Nothing to do with the club's wider fortunes, social media, anybody's age, society, 'the world' or failed whataboutery.
Fergie moved Morrison on so that he could have a fresh start away from Manchester, despite him being our most promising academy player in a long long time.
I was in no way defending MG, just pointing out a poster for saying we had no issues with players when Fergie was here which is plainly false, as an aside I hope MG never plays for us again

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was in no way defending MG, just pointing out a poster for saying we had no issues with players when Fergie was here which is plainly false, as an aside I hope MG never plays for us again
Fair enough. Fergie had player issues but just managed them out. First thing he did was break up the drinking school at United by selling McGrath and Whiteside.
he kept close tabs on Giggs and Sharpe when they were MG age, dragging them out of parties etc.
I daresay there was a lot that we didn’t get to hear about too.
I have no doubt SAF would have advised the club to get rid of MG if he was still manager.

mu4c_20le

Fair enough. Fergie had player issues but just managed them out. First thing he did was break up the drinking school at United by selling McGrath and Whiteside.
he kept close tabs on Giggs and Sharpe when they were MG age, dragging them out of parties etc.
I have no doubt SAF would have advised the club to get rid of MG if he was still manager.
I think it really depends on MG's explanation. Fergie won't give a feck about the media witchhunt or public pressure, if he feels he's worth giving another chance he'll deal with it in-house.

Bondi77

He kept one of the main drinkers and that was our captain and best player.
Even Fergie knew that he had to keep his best player at the club and could not afford to let him go.

marktan

Ive watched 70% of Getafe games this year and hes played as a winger in a 442 system more often than not.

One of the forwards drops back out of possession and hes clearly given license to stay higher up and not have the same defensive responsibility as others as hes clearly valued higher up to affect transitional play from a playmaking perspective.

Hes a higher level than any player on this team already, that not to suggest he would warrant a place in our XI but hes done very well as their manager criticised his work ethic early doors but now he plays every game and doesnt seem to get injured.

Ive made clear I think he has the ability to contribute to us but I think he would rather move on and put this behind him, even when Jude made those comments he asked that the Spanish FA drop it, he doesnt wamt the fuss, he seems to want to just get his head dowm and play ball now and its probably best for all parties he does that elsewhere.

I think his game would suit Italian leagues better
Yeah when I watched him play for Getafe what stood out was just how comfortable he was playing further back, and just how much better he looked than everyone else. Like everything was easy. Thing is we last watched him play when he was 20, as a goal scoring forward, and he still has room to grow.

Funnily enough I think a team like Liverpool could use the type of player he is as they'll need to replace Salah soon and stylistically he plays reminds me of Salah

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Hope to see him play for us again cause honestly we need a player like him and can't afford to buy one.

I respect fans that want him gone on moral grounds in regards to the atrocious actions towards his partner and what it represents for partners suffering from domestic abuse. Honestly that was my instant gut feeling too.

I know most of you will ignore the paragraph before and slate my thoughts on the next but here's my harsh truth:

Ultimately the morality of the situation should matters less to us because sports is filed with low morale figures. Nepotists, narcissists, murderers, rapists, blood money, assholes, adulterers, corrupt men and women. Sports is about entertainment and no one remembers the bad stuff as long as you are winning. So we should stop looking to these figures as role models for societal values. Unless they do something meaningful like Rashford or Lindelof (and others I may not be aware of).

Also a sad FACT, but alcohol and domestic abuse is actually lower if your team is successful. So at the end of the day even if MG made a huge mistake (a euphemism only cause he wasn't convicted), if he helps us win it actually directly combats that mistake for our community. Furthermore if he stays, he will be forced to continue to atone for what he did as it will always be front and center. As fans we should want to hold our young players accountable. Not by cancelling them, but asking them to repent and do better. That's the culture I'd want my club to have.

So i'd say give him a second chance. Agree to disagree with those than don't believe in second chances and only hope someone shows you the kindness when you least deserve it.