Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

JagUTD

It would be pretty incredible given where we are now, if Greenwood was to play for England again.

sugar_kane

How the feck is the plan not getting him a loan move to navigate the storm and reestablish market value to sell him next summer, if that's indeed what the club wants to do?
It’s beyond pathetic to back all the way down from nearly bringing him back to cancelling his contract.

Just a complete absence of leadership or competence on show here.

The mass backlash has already happened, no one of note is gonna give a toss if he goes on loan rather than leaves for free.

Greenwood was the one with the major feck up here, we’re effectively rewarding him in the long run by letting him leave for nowt.

The club do not deserve the equivalent of a £100m fine just because they’re shit at their job and Rachel Riley had a paddy.

tjb

I, unlike a lot of people here, actually think the club were trying to do as much as it could for Mason. We wanted to ensure his reputation wasn't hurt by us, painting a better image to a potential new club than would have been if we just decided to sack him without the statement Arnold made.

The issue is that the nuance was misunderstood due to the constant negative reactions our fans and media have towards management( due to Woodward and the Glazers). They handled it well, it's the "embarrassing" crowd that have an issue with it( they have an issue with anything)

dinostar77

How the feck is the plan not getting him a loan move to navigate the storm and reestablish market value to sell him next summer, if that's indeed what the club wants to do?

Anyhow, what happens if he gets no club before midnight? When does the Turkish window close?
Because deep down the club dont want him to leave. The social media backlash is forcing them to let him go. So look like your doing everything you can to get him out, but not really. Thats my guess.

ps. is the loan window still open?

Anustart89

Because deep down the club dont want him to leave. The social media backlash is forcing them to let him go. So look like your doing everything you can to get him out, but not really. Thats my guess.
I can see a scenario once all the transfer windows around the world close and nobody's taking him that the club will let slip that "we tried to find a solution but weren't able to find one. Since he is still an employee of the club he will be allowed to train with the first team to keep his fitness up for a move in the January transfer window", in the hope that his presence around the training ground will be normalised, at which point they'll test the waters with a new leak to see the reaction.

Plastic Evra

ps. is the loan window still open?
Well, the club's management perhaps. Know this might sound a little pedantic because we all shorten that to "the club" but in this case it's maybe good to make the distinction as we don't really know what a lot of people think about the matter in the organisation at large.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Great move for him - I’m really, really glad that his family is staying in Europe and will be based in a big, European capital.

I wish him, H and their little daughter all the best and I hope this move sees them all happy and sees him turning his situation around.

Much better for him to be at a club and fanbase that will support him and hopefully help him to build his character upward.

Great move.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Great move for him - I’m really, really glad that his family is staying in Europe and will be based in a big, European capital.

I wish him, H and their little daughter all the best and I hope this move sees them all happy and sees him turning his situation around.

Much better for him to be at a club and fanbase that will support him and hopefully help him to build his character upward.

Great move.
There was an odd perception that he wouldn't get picked up by a European club, much less one in La Liga.

Alemar

So as per official twit by Getafe FC, a group of their fans is elated to get him.

bosskeano

Good for him to rebuild his career with his family in Spain...I certainly hope he does well and learns from past mistakes. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back after spending a year away to play for United again. He has some growing up to do but one mistake should not define his life and his career

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
So as per official twit by Getafe FC, a group of their fans is elated to get him.
Doesn't suprise me.

I was taken aback somewhat today by southgate's comments. Sounds like he could actually play for engand again? Even if Southgate is in charge.

El-Manos

My god some of the comments in the other thread. Some would want him burned at the stake by the sounds of things. Anyway i wish the family well.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Great move.
It’s amazing how you can look beyond football and simply care about the humans involved. You must be a great person

Redlyn

I hope he gets a thread where only his match performances are discussed there?

Ady87

The world doesn’t revolve around us or the premier league. Don’t expect Getafe supporters to be fully abreast of the detail or to care too greatly about it.

AaronRedDevil

He's got 2 years left doesn't he? Best case scenario he plays good and united can sell him for a good fee next season.

Blood Mage

He'll be at a top European club again within a couple of years. And no one will bat an eye because it won't be Manchester United.

Rhyme Animal

Looking at their social media accounts there’s a lot of support for the move, a lot of which from Utd fans also.

Lots of ‘you’ve got a new fan in me’ from male and female alike.

I think it’s a great move and I just really hope his partner, little baby and him are happy and well supported there.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He's technically a United player so is calling him a cnut still off limits?

TrueRed79

I hope he gets a thread where only his match performances are discussed there?
Errr no. He should simply be forgotten about at Utd. He's got a fresh start away from the club. Too much water under the bridge. He's only got himself to blame for this situation.

Parma Dewol

Being completely selfish and conveniently putting aside everything that’s happened off the field, I’m actually disappointed to see Mason’s United career fall off a cliff the way it has done.

Personally thought he was an incredibly talented player and in my opinion one of our most gifted prospects. Always seemed so clinical in front of goal, really thought he’d become pivotal to our attack and enjoyed watching him play.

Never imagined his United upbringing turning sour so quickly and in such dire circumstances.

Woodenlung

Hopefully he flops.

Sadly, the best way to get him out of football is if he shows he's a bad footballer. Clearly being a domestic abuser isn't enough to put off clubs.

Baxquux

Some outstanding levels of defamation, as well as nastiness sublimated into indignation, going on here in between the more reasonable comments. Perhaps those flagrantly referring to MG as this or that might wish to briefly research the difference between an allegation (in this case the allegations of physical and sexual violence, which the CPS eventually found there to be insufficient evidence to even take to trial, crucially with key evidence reframing the material available to the public rather than Simply witness withdrawals; then an independent, and protracted, Club investigation) and a fact. Tweet volume doesn't establish a thing as true.

I don't know if he''s guilty or not, but I do know that I don't have access to that available evidence and it's 99.9% likely that no-one else on here does either: the lawyers and senior club officials who have been privy to it decided that the weight of that evidence lay in his favour. If you think this amounted to a simple witness statement withdrawing the allegation, then I don't know what to tell you-- in theory yes, but...it's unlikely, to put it mildly, given the previous evidence. The same evidence which those railing against him repeat incessantly. Do you think the CPS just decides something as high-profile as this to not be in the public interest to prosecute when they have audio and images, and in the wake of Me Too etc unless there are serious grounds for a significantly different interpretation.

There are a number of facts actually established about MG's conduct (particularly with regards to training ground activity, previous abuse), for which he's apologized. You can deem those apologies sincere or not. Physical abuse and attempted rape, however, haven't been established -hence why he's free, for one, and hence why , prior to the social media storm, the club deemed it feasible to reintegrate him... again, based upon legal advice. Hope no-one stating refuted allegations as fact works in the legal profession ...

On the other hand, he can expect a decent amount of scrutiny - some of which is based upon actually corroborated previous conduct - so I hope he knuckles down and does OK for the sake of his family as well as for the sake of...the principle of rehabilitation and change.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
oh dear, Spanish football it’s already on its arse with that knob Rubiales then one of their clubs goes and employees this scumbag.

bravo Spanish football.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Hopefully he flops.

Sadly, the best way to get him out of football is if he shows he's a bad footballer. Clearly being a domestic abuser isn't enough to put off clubs.
For a significant minority (hopefully), it is the only way. It wouldn’t surprise me if 20 months out of football plus playing in a new country, in a historically low scoring team, in front of around 10k fans, means exactly that.

Okey

Some outstanding levels of defamation, as well as nastiness sublimated into indignation, going on here in between the more reasonable comments. Perhaps those flagrantly referring to MG as this or that might wish to briefly research the difference between an allegation (in this case the allegations of physical and sexual violence, which the CPS eventually found there to be insufficient evidence to even take to trial, crucially with key evidence reframing the material available to the public rather than Simply witness withdrawals; then an independent, and protracted, Club investigation) and a fact. Tweet volume doesn't establish a thing as true.

I don't know if he''s guilty or not, but I do know that I don't have access to that available evidence and it's 99.9% likely that no-one else on here does either: the lawyers and senior club officials who have been privy to it decided that the weight of that evidence lay in his favour. If you think this amounted to a simple witness statement withdrawing the allegation, then I don't know what to tell you-- in theory yes, but...it's unlikely, to put it mildly, given the previous evidence. The same evidence which those railing against him repeat incessantly. Do you think the CPS just decides something as high-profile as this to not be in the public interest to prosecute when they have audio and images, and in the wake of Me Too etc unless there are serious grounds for a significantly different interpretation.

There are a number of facts actually established about MG's conduct (particularly with regards to training ground activity, previous abuse), for which he's apologized. You can deem those apologies sincere or not. Physical abuse and attempted rape, however, haven't been established -hence why he's free, for one, and hence why , prior to the social media storm, the club deemed it feasible to reintegrate him... again, based upon legal advice. Hope no-one stating refuted allegations as fact works in the legal profession ...

On the other hand, he can expect a decent amount of scrutiny - some of which is based upon actually corroborated previous conduct - so I hope he knuckles down and does OK for the sake of his family as well as for the sake of...the principle of rehabilitation and change.
This. I wish him well, for the sake of his family. United have moved on anyway.

Redlyn

Errr no. He should simply be forgotten about at Utd. He's got a fresh start away from the club. Too much water under the bridge. He's only got himself to blame for this situation.
Not gonna happen. I will certainly follow his career.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not surprising given that the narrative about acquiring his services is likely to be very different in most other countries where it will be seen almost exclusively through a football lens.

Rhyme Animal

It’s amazing how you can look beyond football and simply care about the humans involved. You must be a great person
Not really.

I’m a bit of a wanker, same as everyone else, but I try to be a good person.

I try to have empathy and compassion towards others and hope for better outcomes, rather than outcomes that favour tabloids and the mean spirited sides of our natures.

I feel a lot for the little baby born into this, and I want this young man to become a great father - and I believe it’s totally in his capabilities to do so.

I also don’t like tabloid / social media culture and am very wary of overlooking expert opinions in favour of far lesser knowledgeable opinions that gather pace due to emotion - something which I feel has been particularly present in this case.

AfonsoAlves

Can someone explain to me how we are loaning him out when he agreed to leave by mutual termination?

Maybe I missed something here, thanks!

Shark

@NotShark
I don't know if he''s guilty or not, but I do know that I don't have access to that available evidence and it's 99.9% likely that no-one else on here does either: the lawyers and senior club officials who have been privy to it decided that the weight of that evidence lay in his favour. If you think this amounted to a simple witness statement withdrawing the allegation, then I don't know what to tell you-- in theory yes, but...it's unlikely, to put it mildly, given the previous evidence

What exactly had he apologized for? From my memory the closest thing to an apology was stating that he'd made some mistakes which lead to the abuse images and recordings. His and United's official statements seemed like a complete deflection more than any sort of apology.

Yorke to Cole

I wish him and his family well. He will playing at a high level once he gets to full fitness.