Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

Canuckred64

Nope

2 years left and the club have option for an extra year

If he does well then the club will surely demand a hefty fee or look to bring him back
I thought it was one year left and United's option for another year

FromTheBench

Good luck to him and his family.

Hasn't been easy for any of them. Hope he bangs in the goals at Getafe.

I guess we can then recoup some fee for him or maybe even reconsider bringing him back as he has suffered his extra judicial punishment.

Shark

@NotShark
So essentially wishing him… death.

And simultaneously disregarding the actual views or thoughts or desires of his partner - because as a random stranger off of the internet you know what’s best for her more than she does.

Not exactly the pinnacle of compassionate and equality driven thought is it?
How on earth is that opinion wishing him death? I would rather them have a father that doesn't domestically abuse and threaten r*pe. The idea that he deserves a second chance is completely mute until he either debunkes the images/ recordings, or offers a genuine apology and a statement of rehabilitation.

Mainoldo

Oh to be someone who didn't do some moronic fecked up shit when they were 20.

Not excusing it, but I'm glad that some of the stuff I did when I was 19/20 hasn't followed me forever since then.
It’s pathetic reading some of the comments.

You’d hope some people on here would do some self reflection and maybe think abusing a “kid” would make them want to maybe think there is something actually wrong with them.

jasT1981

A Spanish team taking him given what is going on with their FA President is absolutely bonkers.

Seeing reports we got no loan fee and are paying the majority of his wages. Not happy with that at all. Needed him off the books, or at least a fee and a good contribution to his wages being paid.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
As far as we know, he has not been found guilty of any offence. The CPS continued to investigate the allegations 10 months after the main witness withdrew her statement.

If those allegations are true, he has the opportunity to try enter the phase at rehabilitation. He said in his statement he wants to be a good father, why should the young child be deprived of that?
Please stop pretending you are taking the stance you are for the good of the child.

Yorke to Cole

Loan deal was always the best way forward, why it took the club many months to realise this I have no idea

A decent move for him given the lack of time to sort, i can't imagine that Getafe can afford his wages though so I assume we are still paying a chunk of it which is far from ideal

I wonder if his partner and child will also move or stay in Manchester

Very interested to see what kind of level he is at after 18 months out of the game
In fairness, there probably was a stage during the summer where the club explored this option. There probably was not too much interest at the level United were looking for ie, a Juventus, Atalanta etc. Also, this may have taken time to arrange and the club needed to make a decision on what his future would be.

Then of course there is Glazernomics. We only had a tight budget,Ten Hag needs a proven goal scorer and obviously wanted to work with Greenwood. The rest of the story you know. So this where we are.

I hope by this time next year we have far superior people at the top making decisions with decisiveness and authority, so the club does not find itself in a media quagmire again?

Abraxas

I don't understand wishing him poorly. What good does that do for anybody? Can anybody identify a single advantage to it? What would be the outcome if every single person maintained that mindset. It's easy to throw out words with little thought behind them and what the consequences for that are and whether it offers anything constructive to the world at all.

It doesn't do him any good, but more importantly it won't do his partner any good, family any good, nor is it a good sign for a community of people when somebody cannot be given a chance to earn forgiveness over a period of time. Even being willing to leave the door to forgiveness slightly ajar is important if we don't want to say it in categorical terms due to the nature of the charges, then it can just be left unsaid, neither wishing him to redeem himself in some way nor wishing him ill. Then it's just left as is and in the fullness of time he will be able to show us something. Either falling again or lifting himself up.

Really juvenile and shallow thinking in my opinion. The best case scenario is he completely rebuilds and can repair the relationships around him that will have left a lot of scars over many people.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't understand wishing him poorly. What good does that do for anybody? Can anybody identify a single advantage to it? What would be the outcome if every single person maintained that mindset. It's easy to throw out words with little thought behind them and what the consequences for that are and whether it offers anything constructive to the world at all.

It doesn't do him any good, but more importantly it won't do his partner any good, family any good, nor is it a good sign for a community of people when somebody cannot be given a chance to earn forgiveness over a period of time. Even being willing to leave the door to forgiveness slightly ajar is important if we don't want to say it in categorical terms due to the nature of the charges, then it can just be left unsaid, neither wishing him to redeem himself in some way nor wishing him ill. Then it's just left as is and in the fullness of time he will be able to show us something. Either falling again or lifting himself up.

Really juvenile and shallow thinking in my opinion. The best case scenario is he completely rebuilds and can repair the relationships around him that will have left a lot of scars over many people.
Some people don’t want some one who has sexually assaulted someone to be rewarded with a fantastic lifestyle.

TsuWave

Seeing reports we got no loan fee and are paying the majority of his wages. Not happy with that at all. Needed him off the books, or at least a fee and a good contribution to his wages being paid.
I don't know how anyone that understands this situation expected a "fee" or "good contribution to his wages being paid". I mean, United was forced to say the player won't be featuring for us again due to fan pressure. The guy hasn't played or even trained at the highest level for like a year and a half. The club had no room to negotiate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he tears it up there, do you think we might rethink our initial decision.
If we don't resolve our striker situation while the global fan base watch him knock in goals against the likes of Real and Barca then the pressure will be on.

FromTheBench

How on earth is that opinion wishing him death? I would rather them have a father that doesn't domestically abuse and threaten r*pe. The idea that he deserves a second chance is completely mute until he either debunkes the images/ recordings, or offers a genuine apology and a statement of rehabilitation.
Well that post almost said he wished he didn't exist more or less.

Anyway If he rebukes those images he is calling the mother of his child and current partner a liar? And that probably starts a legal case.

And if he apologises that starts another witch hunt and probable legal case too.

Also considering new evidence surely truth is somewhere in between.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's spot on but at the same time it's beneath us. The lad is an absolute cnut as far as I'm concerned, but I hope he can learn from his cnutish (and completely immoral) behaviour away from United and do good by his missus and child.
I'm sorry but I can't just sit here watching waves of posters mawkishly wish him well, wish him all the best, be "really really glad" for him etc. And let that sit out there as the dominant view without saying something, even if it's uncouth and ugly.

They're wretched and contribute to a corrosive culture that doesn't take violence against women seriously.

Shark

@NotShark
Well that post almost said he wished he didn't exist more or less.

Anyway If he rebukes those images he is calling the mother of his child and current partner a liar? And that probably starts a legal case.

And if he apologises that starts another witch hunt and probable legal case too.

Also considering new evidence surely truth is somewhere in between.
Please explain this to me further? If you don't think a woman should be with a domestic abuser it means you wish the abuser didn't exist?

This is baffling stuff.

DiMaria

Some people don’t want some one who has sexually assaulted someone to be rewarded with a fantastic lifestyle.
Hasn’t this never been proven and he was cleared of all charges and now is married and has a baby with the same lady? In a worst case scenario ‘if’ any of that stuff was true and she herself has moved on then it’s time for people to follow suit.

Glorio

We have no idea if he's done this or not. The apology would be between them, no?
His actions were abhorrent, and some of the articles written since have painted quite the picture, so I've definitely wanted rid of him, but wishing him evil is definitely out of order. If there is no route to redemption in society, what's the point?

I for one hope he does well, so we can sell him for a good price. I also hope he genuinely grows and improves as a person.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Please explain this to me further? If you don't think a woman should be with a domestic abuser it means you wish the abuser didn't exist?

This is baffling stuff.
There seems to be a subset of posters who thinks literal audio/video/admission of guilt evidence for a sexual assault is just random bits of nothing whereas read into anyone’s post that doesn’t like said sexual assaulter with the investigative powers of a CSI agent.

The argument put forward there is Mason can’t admit his innocence in case he incriminated the mother of his child. The mother of his child the courts banned him from seeing initially which Mason ignored despite it being against the law. So there was a period of his life where it was illegal to see or speak to this woman who has falsely accused him of rape - but Mason didn’t think to do anything at the time.

It’s utterly bizarre logic and requires a complete lack of inference or any kind of critical thinking.

BUT - fecking be careful people who say they don’t want this footballer to be happy, you’ll be accused of wanting him dead?

Hasn’t this never been proven and he was cleared of all charges and now is married and has a baby with the same lady? In a worst case scenario ‘if’ any of that stuff was true and she herself has moved on then it’s time for people to follow suit.
In a worst case scenario - there’s a very vulnerable young woman in a relationship with someone who physically and sexually abused her and ignored the law to make contact with her after she had made these claims and that man has never seen a jail cell.

feck me. The nativity in thinking “a woman is in a relationship with a man who she accused of beating and assaulting her - we can’t possibly be worried or think he did anything now.” There is literal mountains of evidence that shows how hard it is for women to leave these relationships - we can’t all just think that without being punished for his actions in any way Mason has changed.

marktan

Is loaning him to terrorist football FC really the best we could do? Reminds me of when we sent Januzaj to the dog turd Sunderland led by heartbroken heart not in it Moyes.

Turkish league probably would've been better as he could've padded his stats there. Even Italy would've seen him get good stats.

Abraxas

I think it's a seperate issue from wishing bad things upon him.

They can't control an uncontrollable and maybe that should be realised so we can get to what is actually the best outcome in the circumstances that exist, not the ones they want to exist. The influence was there with regards to his United career but beyond that he is going to be employed. He has worldwide opportunity to play football that they are not realistically going to be able to impose a set of morals over no matter how important they believe their opinion is on that. There are hundreds of clubs across dozens of countries that will have different acceptance towards his employment. He is already compensated as a Man United footballer. He could be sacked tomorrow and likely be a multi millionaire with the lifestyle that comes with it. These things are set, they don't have to like the lay of the land but that's how it is.

The question then is whether it's better to wish bad outcomes upon him or not? What does every person filling themselves with that kind of hate and inflexibility actually result in I wonder? Abuse? Getting attacked? It's a slippery slope towards such things in my opinion, it only takes that mindset combined with the right kind of Muppet that acts it out and has no filter for their behaviour .In that environment nothing good will come out of this, it just adds more negativity and probably shit outcomes to whatever corner of the world he rocks up in. Getafe as it seems to be for now.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
How on earth is that opinion wishing him death?
Wishing them ‘a life without him’ comes across as that tbh - since one of them is his own child and the other is his long time partner and mother of his child.

Fair enough if it’s not what you meant, I’m not gonna dispute that with you.

Just pointing out how it sounds.

I’d rather wish them a life with a Mason Greenwood who has learned from his horrible language and pathetic, spoilt (at best) behaviour and becomes a man and a father that Loves his child and behaves as such.

I believe he certainly can be that, he isn’t Ted Bundy ffs, and the CPS and Utd have at the very least let us know that effectively, we know feck all about the case (otherwise it would’ve AT LEAST gone to court - even without witness due to the SEEMINGLY bang to rights evidence).

Anyway, you need to take a step back and decide if you’re gonna spend his entire loan spell simply posting ‘feck him’, ‘I wish him bad’ etc or if you’re gonna leave it be.

Obviously it’s your choice either way, but I’d at least consider if it’s really what you wanna do with your life energy.

No offence intended in this post.

Marcus

For the sake of a decent sell-on fee for United, I hope the loan is a successful one. I also hope that Mason truly repents and treats his family right henceforth.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm sorry but I can't just sit here watching waves of posters mawkishly wish him well, wish him all the best, be "really really glad" for him etc. And let that sit out there as the dominant view without saying something, even if it's uncouth and ugly.

They're wretched and contribute to a corrosive culture that doesn't take violence against women seriously.
I don't remember saying I'm "really glad for him"? I think I've already made my opinions on him pretty clear in the relevant threads.

Dominos

Nope

2 years left and the club have option for an extra year

If he does well then the club will surely demand a hefty fee or look to bring him back
To demand a hefty fee you need leverage - you need to have the credible threat that you'll keep the player if your valuation is not met.

We've destroyed any leverage we had by trying to bring him back and then effectively announcing that he has no future here and he has to leave. Clubs know we're not going to keep him, so they're not trying to tempt us to sell him, rather they feel they're doing us a favour by giving us any money at all. By trying to bring him back and showing the world the public backlash we faced, we've also scared away loads of potential buyers who otherwise would have been interested.

If we'd have tried to sell/loan at the beginning of the summer all the while briefing that we could bring him back into the squad if our valuation isn't met (even though it would be a bluff), we'd be in a much much better position.

He's not coming back unless something crazy happens with Qatar takeover going rogue, they sack a load of senior management like Arnold etc. when they come in and overrule the previous decision. But even Qatar won't think it's worth the headache of bringing him back, we've moved on from him.

ErikElevenHag

Oh to be someone who didn't do some moronic fecked up shit when they were 20.

Not excusing it, but I'm glad that some of the stuff I did when I was 19/20 hasn't followed me forever since then.
Jesus christ, this post doesn't paint you in a good light and this is from someone who thinks this forum can be soft at times..

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In fairness, there probably was a stage during the summer where the club explored this option. There probably was not too much interest at the level United were looking for ie, a Juventus, Atalanta etc. Also, this may have taken time to arrange and the club needed to make a decision on what his future would be.

Then of course there is Glazernomics. We only had a tight budget,Ten Hag needs a proven goal scorer and obviously wanted to work with Greenwood. The rest of the story you know. So this where we are.

I hope by this time next year we have far superior people at the top making decisions with decisiveness and authority, so the club does not find itself in a media quagmire again?
That's all possible and seems ETH was planning for this season with Mason Greenwood in the squad. i think we are still short upfront so that may well have influenced the decision.
I'm assuming that Ten Hag has not been involved in the internal investigation and was just informed that the club are content that Greenwood is not guilty. So his decision is purely a footballing one, as it should be.
Still after 18 months out, we have no idea what level he is at mentally or physically so a loan to prove himself make sense on every level.

Regardless of any of that, the delay from the club was unnecessary and a big part of the problem. They should have made the official statement in the close season, waiting until the season started is inexplicable and surely had a negative impact on the squad if they too were expecting Greenwood's return.

I hope we do have better owners and decision makers by next year - ideally sooner! Was never going to be easy to deal with this messy situation but the club could certainly have done better.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Wishing them ‘a life without him’ comes across as that tbh - since one of them is his own child and the other is his long time partner and mother of his child.

Fair enough if it’s not what you meant, I’m not gonna dispute that with you.

Just pointing out how it sounds.

I’d rather wish them a life with a Mason Greenwood who has learned from his horrible language and pathetic, spoilt (at best) behaviour and becomes a man and a father that Loves his child and behaves as such.

I believe he certainly can be that, he isn’t Ted Bundy ffs, and the CPS and Utd have at the very least let us know that effectively, we know feck all about the case (otherwise it would’ve AT LEAST gone to court - even without witness due to the SEEMINGLY bang to rights evidence).

Anyway, you need to take a step back and decide if you’re gonna spend his entire loan spell simply posting ‘feck him’, ‘I wish him bad’ etc or if you’re gonna leave it be.

Obviously it’s your choice either way, but I’d at least consider if it’s really what you wanna do with your life energy.

No offence intended in this post.
Why did you call the head of the Spanish FA a complete Cnut the other day when we have no idea what he did and now it’s happened there’s no point wishing anything bad to him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I would need to see all the evidence United got before agreeing. They even said in the press release he didn’t commit the offences he was charged with.
What is happening here and on social media are mob mentality. United got duped. The right move would be to stand their ground, loan him out, help him and his family to move on and in the end see how he progress.

I wish him luck and hope he and his family will be fine when things settle down.
Looks like that's what United is doing. Getafe is only paying a nominal part of his salary, no transfer fee at all. They are still invested in Greenwood.

The mistake Arnold made was not to allow Greenwood & family to present their side of the story and allowed for the mob mentality to kick in before they had the chance. But sounds like there was an internal club leak -- which led to a media reaction that must have prevented them from doing so.

FromTheBench

A Spanish team taking him given what is going on with their FA President is absolutely bonkers.

Seeing reports we got no loan fee and are paying the majority of his wages. Not happy with that at all. Needed him off the books, or at least a fee and a good contribution to his w6ages being paid.
You are saying in one line that him playing for a Spanish team is bonkers. Then him playing for a English team will be bonkers too I assume. Then who shod take him?

And how do u expect a few and good contribution to wages in such circumstances. Very contradictory.

The club have messed themselves up on this. Loan still gives a future out.
Looks like that's what United is doing. Getafe is only paying a nominal part of his salary, no transfer fee at all. They are still invested in Greenwood.

The mistake Arnold made was not to allow Greenwood & family to present their side of the story and allowed for the mob mentality to kick in before they had the chance. But sounds like there was an internal club leak -- which led to a media reaction that must have prevented them from doing so.
They should have just brought him in after the charges were dropped. Done couple of interviews and reintegrated.

Maybe they didn't want drama at the time but internal investigation business was stupid. United are not a court or a investigating agency and they didn't even outsource it. And in the end it was a fracas and giving in to the mob.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I don't remember saying I'm "really glad for him"? I think I've already made my opinions on him pretty clear in the relevant threads.
It was just a sample of the tone in here from the last few pages nothing about you. I was only replying to the "beneath us" bit with regards to my comment, to explain that it might be beneath most and maybe should be beneath me but it isn't.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If we'd have tried to sell/loan at the beginning of the summer all the while briefing that we could bring him back into the squad if our valuation isn't met (even though it would be a bluff), we'd be in a much much better position.
I agree, the club fecked up for sure but at short notice they found a pretty decent deal for Greenwood in the end. Some reports now suggesting Getafe will cover all his wages which would be good if true.

He should be thankful to get this second chance, if he proves himself on the pitch then I believe the door is still open for his return to Old Trafford.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It was just a sample of the tone in here from the last few pages nothing about you. I was only replying to the "beneath us" bit with regards to my comment, to explain that it might be beneath most and maybe should be beneath me but it isn't.
feck it it's too late for this shit

Semigoodlookin

What happens if he fulfils his talent? Which big club will come for him? Real Madrid, Juventus?

It's just a mess all around, but we must never forget that this is something of his doing. I don't think global blanket cancellation is ever the answer, so I understand his right to earn a living and live his life. However, I detest the general narrative forming that he is a victim and "good on him". I agree that he needs to be allowed to move on and hopefully rehabilitate, but let's remember what happened and not forget there was a real victim.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He might play against Madrid tomorrow
No way. He isn't match fit nor sharp. It will take him a good 2-3 months to get up to speed. And I hope Getafe's management/coaching staff will have the patience to build him up gradually.
You are saying in one line that him playing for a Spanish team is bonkers. Then him playing for a English team will be bonkers too I assume. Then who shod take him?

And how do u expect a few and good contribution to wages in such circumstances. Very contradictory.

The club have messed themselves up on this. Loan still gives a future out.

They should have just brought him in after the charges were dropped. Done couple of interviews and reintegrated.

Maybe they didn't want drama at the time but internal investigation business was stupid. United are not a court or a investigating agency and they didn't even outsource it. And in the end it was a fracas and giving in to the mob.
Its all hindsight. We dont have all the information from the various stakeholders to make a proper judgement on the situation.

Its a no-win situation for the club.

Red_toad

He might play against Madrid tomorrow
Hasn’t played for well over a year, very much doubt he’ll make the squad for weeks. Hope the move goes well for him. Wish it were a permanent deal, but at least he’s out of the club as he shouldn’t be the biggest topic on the Caf on transfer deadline day.

Piabetic

I can't see this going well at all. Loan terminated before January is my bet. From what I have read about his character, I just can't imagine him having the right mentality to take this chance and make a go of it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For me Getafe should be ashamed of themselves. After releasing a statement criticising the head of the Spanish FA as well. Hope they get relegated.

Matriac

As far as we know, he has not been found guilty of any offence. The CPS continued to investigate the allegations 10 months after the main witness withdrew her statement.

If those allegations are true, he has the opportunity to try enter the phase at rehabilitation. He said in his statement he wants to be a good father, why should the young child be deprived of that?
I grew up in a absolutely horrible home because my father was not a professional fotballer.

Ted Lasso

If we don't resolve our striker situation while the global fan base watch him knock in goals against the likes of Real and Barca then the pressure will be on.
It will be an interesting situation. If it weren't for the video then I think this would have already been sports washed away. Time and distance along with the short memory of public very well brings him back to the club.

One thing I'm certain of is it won't have anything to do with the opinion of the Man United women's team, unfortunately. I think their consideration on this occasion was down to the media focus from timing of the women's world cup and the broad public outrage in general.