Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Getafe player of the month award plus praise from Griezmann does show he's doing well, still Id expect to see further improvement before thinking he's ready to return to Old Trafford

He's probably not hit full fitness yet - Getafe coach had said he expected to see the best from him in 2nd half of the season so we shall see
Oh I think he's doing way better than I thought he would. He's pretty close to where he was before all this. Still got some things to work if he is going to be elite and I'll take a proper view of where he's at the end of the season when there's a bit more consistency from him.

Oh I think he's doing way better than I thought he would. He's pretty close to where he was before all this. Still got some things to work if he is going to be elite and I'll take a proper view of where he's at the end of the season when there's a bit more consistency from him.

That's more or less where I'm at - he's doing better than I expected considering he had to adapt to a new league after 18 months out. But he needs to continue that trajectory, get to full fitness and prove himself for the full season then we reassess the options.

Interesting that some can't see Greenwood clearing €30M+ when the likes of Nunez and Hojlund went for closer to €100M.

A young, 2-footed world class finisher who is better than both in the attacking phase.

The only way we don't get a nice fee is if some over-zealous, short-sighted and vocal minority group forces the club to shoot itself in the foot to force through a transfer at any cost.

Come on, man. Let's be wiser than that.

Interesting that some can't see Greenwood clearing €30M+ when the likes of Nunez and Hojlund went for closer to €100M.

A young, 2-footed world class finisher who is better than both in the attacking phase.

The only way we don't get a nice fee is if some over-zealous, short-sighted and vocal minority group forces the club to shoot itself in the foot to force through a transfer at any cost.

Again - utterly baffling.

I think we need to take some things into consideration when valuing him...

- I don't really think he's shown anything since his return that is of a 70m+ player which have been fees touted in here. It may feel like footballers are getting expensive but it's still not that common to have footballers go for that much money (Having looked it up, there are only c. 30 players that have gone for 70m+ pounds when you adjust for inflation). Using players like Antony and others to justify those fees is silly as we all know he also isn't worth that price.
- United states he wasn't going to come back so clubs basically became aware they wanted to get rid, that will impact price and is why it's not really able to compare to people like Hojlund and Nunez who wanted to be kept by their respective clubs and could hold out for fees worth more than the player was worth.
- Backlash - I still think clubs will be wary (to varying degrees of extent) about any backlash - can you imagine them dropping a record fee on a player with aggro around them? A bit of a PR nightmare.

I think somewhere in the 30mish range (anywhere from 20-40m) seems about right due to those above factors.

Last edited:
That's more or less where I'm at - he's doing better than I expected considering he had to adapt to a new league after 18 months out. But he needs to continue that trajectory, get to full fitness and prove himself for the full season then we reassess the options.
Agreed, but I'm in the sell at the end of this loan camp.

- I don't really think he's shown anything since his return that is of a 70m+ player which have been fees touted in here. It may feel like footballers are getting expensive but it's still not that common to have footballers go for that much money. Using players like Antony and others to justify those fees is silly as we all know he also isn't worth that price.
- United states he wasn't going to come back so clubs basically became aware they wanted to get rid, that will impact price and is why it's not really able to compare to people like Hojlund and Nunez who wanted to be kept by their respective clubs and could hold out for fees worth more than the player was worth.
- Backlash - I still think clubs will be wary (to varying degrees of extent) about any backlash - can you imagine them dropping a record fee on a player with aggro around them? A bit of a PR nightmare.

I think somewhere in the 30mish range (anywhere from 20-40m) seems about right due to those above factors.
I think so too and it's probably a fair assesment of his value with the intangible cost taken by the club if they do invest on him from a pr perspective.

- I don't really think he's shown anything since his return that is of a 70m+ player which have been fees touted in here. It may feel like footballers are getting expensive but it's still not that common to have footballers go for that much money. Using players like Antony and others to justify those fees is silly as we all know he also isn't worth that price.

I think even £30m is ambitious for the clubs that will be interested. There's basically no market for him in the PL, Real, Bayern etc wouldn't touch him and have better players anyway. The rest don't have much money and we won't be selling from a position of strength.

I think even £30m is ambitious for the clubs that will be interested. There's basically no market for him in the PL, Real, Bayern etc wouldn't touch him and have better players anyway. The rest don't have much money and we won't be selling from a position of strength.
Do Barça? Greenwood's ceiling is a lot higher than Ferran Torres, and Yamal is obviously supposed to be talented but is 16. I reckon he'd get a lot of game time for them.

People really overestimate how much non-PL clubs pay on transfer fees.

To build on this point, generally the ridiculous fees that are thrown around for players are pretty much exclusive to the PL. Outside of the PL, the fees are generally much closer to what players are actually worth. It really is hard for me to see another club in England going for him. I just can't see it. So with that added on to the stuff you listed there, I think somewhere around 20-30 (Even 40 feels a bit optimistic in terms of what is generally spent) is what we would get if the club choose to sell him.

I think people overestimate the concerns about his background. If he does well and there’s no new stories, then big clubs in Spain, or Italy for that matter, aren’t likely to be concerned.

So was reading rumours yesterday, secret talks with Barca. Potential player swap.
3 options mooted, that Argentinian defender, Christiansen (former Chelsea CB) or Raphinha

- I don't really think he's shown anything since his return that is of a 70m+ player which have been fees touted in here. It may feel like footballers are getting expensive but it's still not that common to have footballers go for that much money (Having looked it up, there are only c. 30 players that have gone for 70m+ pounds when you adjust for inflation). Using players like Antony and others to justify those fees is silly as we all know he also isn't worth that price.

Some valid points and his market value will definitely be lower than it could be due to the off field factors, how much lower is the question.

I think Getafe have shown that the negative publicity is not a big deal abroad, could be different at a big club I suppose.

Personally, for £30m I wouldnt sell - we cant buy that kind of quality for that price.
Also we are desperately short upfront at the moment and looks like FFP restrictions are still hampering our spending power. At the same time, whatever we get is pure profit since he's an academy player so there will be a point where the new board think it's not worth the bother and sell.

Last edited:
So was reading rumours yesterday, secret talks with Barca. Potential player swap.
3 options mooted, that Argentinian defender, Christiansen (former Chelsea CB) or Raphinha
Swapping Greenwood for Christiansen would break all records for worst business of all time. The difference in quality is like athletes from two different sports imo.

Also haven't there basically been no player swaps ever in real life, despite transfer rumors always featuring them?

Some valid points and his market value will definitely be lower than it could be due to the off field factors, how much lower is the question.

Personally, for £30m I wouldnt sell - we cant buy that kind of quality for that price.
Also we are desperately short upfront at the moment and looks like FFP restrictions are still hampering

I reckon you will try to push for 30-40m and then activate Olise release clause which I think is probably around 40-50m. That would be decent business in regards to the situation.

I reckon you will try to push for 30-40m and then activate Olise release clause which I think is probably around 40-50m. That would be decent business in regards to the situation.

Do you mean now or in the summer?

I'm expecting a stronger 2nd half of the season from him which should push his value up

Let’s do whatever it takes to market him for a quick sale. Big boost to FFP

Swapping Greenwood for Christiansen would break all records for worst business of all time. The difference in quality is like athletes from two different sports imo.

Also haven't there basically been no player swaps ever in real life, despite transfer rumors always featuring them?
Do you mean at United or in general?

I can’t really remember Christiansen too well mysel. But not sure what you mean by “the difference in quality is like athletes from two different sports”

of course there will be a difference as one is a defender and another is a forward/wide forward.

unless you mean difference in workrate or fitness. I’m not sure MG would come out too on those metrics.

what do you mean? Or was it just a ramble

Do you mean at United or in general?

I can’t really remember Christiansen too well mysel. But not sure what you mean by “the difference in quality is like athletes from two different sports”

of course there will be a difference as one is a defender and another is a forward/wide forward.

unless you mean difference in workrate or fitness. I’m not sure MG would come out too on those metrics.

what do you mean? Or was it just a ramble
More the profile of the two. Imo, Christensen didn't really wow at Chelsea in the prem, and no one was particularly sad to see him leave (unlike, say, Rudiger who is much better). I was shocked he landed at Barca. He's kind of like Lindelof to me.

Whereas if not for his extra-curriculars, Greenwood could genuinely be up there with the best in the world.

So swapping their respective levels feels like something that would only have emerged on a Barca fan forum or something. It'd be like us suggesting a potential swap of Lindelof and Musiala or something.

Yeo, player swaps rarely happen outside of computer games.

Especially with FFP the way it is, you are going to want cash for Greenwood.

I've no doubt his footballing ability is absolutely worth the big numbers being banded around but unfortunately for utd his football ability won't be the deciding factor in any negotiation.

I'm sure he'll get some good offers from some very good teams but none will offer more than 30ish million because every man and his dog knows utd have to sell him. The best hope will likely be a sizeable sell on clause

Without getting into the merry go round of discussion on whether the club should or shouldn't reintegrate him I just don't see any possibility of the new board taking the risk at a time they're looking to push positivity in their stewardship.

He'll be sold in the summer, there's no question in my mind about this.

Without getting into the merry go round of discussion on whether the club should or shouldn't reintegrate him I just don't see any possibility of the new board taking the risk at a time they're looking to push positivity in their stewardship.

He'll be sold in the summer, there's no question in my mind about this.

I'm in agreement with this. At the time he was shipped to Getafe, the club had already said there were no expectations of him playing for United again - and that was with the guys that reportedly wanted to reintegrate him - with new guys, I think the chances are substantially lower. He'll be moved on - new guys won't want social media/stadium protests this early into their reign.

Cant see him coming back and with the extra factors and our skills with selling players we’ll get two balloons and a goldfish.

amazing that you think of his value plus antony and sanchos costs and was it 39 million we paid for Diallo? But we still need a right winger or two. The recruitment at our club is ass

Damn. Now you gave me a scary thought. I still thing we could find enough stupid people in United's recruiting team that would facilitate to swap Greenwood for fecking Raphinha or any other Barcelona deadwood. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that. Swap for Araujo (Uraguay not Argentina) or De Jong and we maybe got a deal but please don't add more mediocrity.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Greenwood will 100% be integrated back into the first team next season. Do we honestly think we are going to part with a potential superstar when we’re crying out for a player in his position?! Not a chance.

You genuinely think Rashford is a better talent than Greenwood?

People quickly forget how promising was Greenwood. You only need to check his goals compilation to see quality of goals some veteran strikers don't have on their whole career highlight reel never mind at 20 years of age. He was elite finisher and destined for stardom also has a good football intelligence (in light of seemingly absence of non-football intelligence). Curiously waiting to see if he can regain his previous form and sharpness back this year.

People quickly forget how promising was Greenwood. You only need to check his goals compilation to see quality of goals some veteran strikers don't have on their whole career highlight reel never mind at 20 years of age. He was elite finisher and destined for stardom also has a good football intelligence (in light of seemingly absence of non-football intelligence). Curiously waiting to see if he can regain his previous form and sharpness back this year.
Agreed. Rashford has forged a good career out here and he’s a decent talent. But greenwood is another league of talent to Rashford. However as we know talent is only part of the equation so it remains to be seen if Greenwood has the other elements. I still think if he gets a move to a Barca he will absolutely star.

Status
Not open for further replies.