Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure it will be reviewed by the new football people and a decision not driven by social media will be made.

Hopefully driven by basic human decency.

In any case the Guardian has clearly heard from somewhere within the club that it's not up for debate even with a new investor on board.

Seems like the Guardian are simply adding a bit of unrelated text to a different story to fill out the page more. If there was a direct quote from anyone at the club or even a “sources at the club” type stipulation then such a comment would have a trace of legitimacy.

Which goes both ways you would hope. Forgiveness and rehabilitation.

Which can really only come with honesty and acceptance of wrongdoing. Which we’ve yet to see any sign of.

I’d struggle to forgive if it was a member of my family that this happened to. I’m sure you would too. And as far as I can tell the rehabilitation is happening. He’s being paid £50k per week to play professional football. It’s just that he’s not playing for the club you want him to play for.

Hopefully driven by basic human decency.

In any case the Guardian has clearly heard from somewhere within the club that it's not up for debate even with a new investor on board.

They don’t know nothing. Keep tabs of how many of these updates and supposed people with jobs already end up being true.

They will do there own internal reviews and hopefully MG’s situation will also come under that which they will make a decision on once complete.

I believe they said they already requested for no new long term signings and all loans to have January breaks in as they wanted to do there own footballing decisions.

Which can really only come with honesty and acceptance of wrongdoing. Which we’ve yet to see any sign of.

I’d struggle to forgive if it was a member of my family that this happened to. I’m sure you would too. And as far as I can tell the rehabilitation is happening. He’s being paid £50k per week to play professional football. It’s just that he’s not playing for the club you want him to play for.
Greenwood has no duty to publically state any acceptance of wrongdoing just to appease the likes of yourself.

He isn't a member of my family, nor yours. Clearly his partner and her family have forgiven him. Of course he isn't playing for the club I want him to play for. I want our best academy talents to stay at United.

Greenwood has no duty to publically state any acceptance of wrongdoing just to appease the likes of yourself.

But the likes of him have a duty to forgive Greenwood and accept him playing for Manchester United even though Greenwood hasn't accepted any wrongdoing publicly to appease fans who were offended / disgusted by the evidence presented?

That's a strange one.

I want our best academy talents to stay at United.

You could have skipped all the other stuff and just said this part really.

But the likes of him have a duty to forgive Greenwood and accept him playing for Manchester United even though Greenwood hasn't accepted any wrongdoing publicly to appease fans who were offended / disgusted by the evidence presented?
No, there's nothing for fans like him to forgive as they haven't seen 100% of the evidence nor know the case in it's entirety. The poster in question hasn't been wronged by Greenwood. If Greenwood was proven guilty and expressed no remorse, then by all means he shouldn't be allowed back. Obviously.

I've had significantly worse happen in my family than what is alleged here, and have forgiven years ago. It hasn't been repeated and everyone is happy now. Ultimately, everyone is different and some may choose not to forgive and move on, while others choose to forgive and go their separate ways, and some forgive and give a second chance. There is no right or wrong answer other than the subsequent decisions made by those directly involved.

I've had significantly worse happen in my family than what is alleged here, and have forgiven years ago. It hasn't been repeated and everyone is happy now. Ultimately, everyone is different and some may choose not to forgive and move on, while others choose to forgive and go their separate ways, and some forgive and give a second chance. There is no right or wrong answer other than the subsequent decisions made by those directly involved.
Now this sounds a lot more reasonable to me.

He isn't a member of my family, nor yours. Clearly his partner and her family have forgiven him. Of course he isn't playing for the club I want him to play for. I want our best academy talents to stay at United.

Oh I think he has a moral duty to do exactly that. And I think if you were truly interested in knowing that the ‘rehabilitation and forgiveness’ you speak of is absolutely genuine, then you would be expecting the same.

The fact that you are prepared, with zero evidence, to just assume he’s contrite and jump straight to the forgiveness bit, tells me a lot about your motives.

You can dress this up any way you like but it’s still transparent.

@NicolaSacco referred to "basic human decency" as the decisive factor in not allowing Greenwood to return to the club. My stance is that basic human decency goes both ways. It isn't just about condemnation and washing our hands of someone.

And how exactly does it go both ways here? In Greenwood's case then it's "threatening rape is a breach of human decency", in United's or a fan's case it's?

Oh I think he has a moral duty to do exactly that. And I think if you were truly interested in knowing that the ‘rehabilitation and forgiveness’ you speak of is absolutely genuine, then you would be expecting the same.

The fact that you are prepared, with zero evidence, to just assume he’s contrite and jump straight to the forgiveness bit, tells me a lot about your motives.

You can dress this up any way you like but it’s still transparent.
And your transparency is very much the same, just from an opposing point of view. I am not interested in a public acceptance from Greenwood, providing he has addressed everything privately to the person/persons it concerns.

Via a private acceptance of wrongdoing on Greenwood's part and for a willingness to rehabilitate. If those two conditions are met, then it is my preference for him to return to the club.

Wrongdoing and willingness to rehabilitate for what? He has denied everything publicly, he has denied everything to the police, and he has denied everything to the club.

I have no qualms with people who feel they can look at Greenwood as if nothing has happened, now his family has seemingly forgiven him. But this is why we are all different.
If the victim was a friend of mine, let alone a family member, I'd struggle to look at Greenwood the same way again. Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough reasonable doubt to counteract the terrible nature of the audio that has come out publicly.
We all have different experiences. My partner's sister has unfortunately gone through something vile, and it hits too close to home - hence why I am even more likely to hit the threshold of forgiving him.

The updates pleases me. The shitshow surrounding the club if rumours emerge of him possibly returning to our team next year will be an a circus we don't need.

P.S - Probably worth taking away that note about the Slow Mode feature - clearly it's not in use anymore.

I cannot believe that this thread is still open.

It is Page upon Page of some people stating that they would be ok with Greenwood returning based on the minimal ‘evidence’ that is available and other people stating that he shouldn’t ever be allowed to play/play for United again based on the the same minimalist ‘evidence’.

I think the best thing for this specific thread is to close it and just accept that some people would be ok/happy with him to return whether that be at United or elsewhere. On the flip side, there are some people who categorically don’t ever want to see him at United again.

Both can be argued as being ridiculous in some form or other and I’m not sure what else is ever going to come out of this thread. Nobody is ever going to concede their point either way so the thread just feels a bit pointless

From the Guardian today

“One player who will not be part of United’s plans next season is Mason Greenwood. The 21-year-old joined Getafe on a season’s loan in the summer after it was decided he should continue his career away from Old Trafford at the end of a six-month internal investigation into allegations against the striker, and the club will stand by their decision not to make him available to Ten Hag.”
How do they know

From the Guardian today

“One player who will not be part of United’s plans next season is Mason Greenwood. The 21-year-old joined Getafe on a season’s loan in the summer after it was decided he should continue his career away from Old Trafford at the end of a six-month internal investigation into allegations against the striker, and the club will stand by their decision not to make him available to Ten Hag.”
Any idea on who is attributed as the journalist? Sounds good but also feels like a tacked on comment.

We can only hope not.
I was being flippant, but you can see how accepting responsibility for the mistakes he made, whilst not explaining what you're apologizing for, is a bit shit?

I do think if he wanted to have a career back here, he'll have to address it properly. It's not really good enough to say what he said, based on what's in the public.

I’d put money on The Guardian going for the politically correct angle, over having an inside scoop on the situation.

I was being flippant, but you can see how accepting responsibility for the mistakes he made, whilst not explaining what you're apologizing for, is a bit shit?

I do think if he wanted to have a career back here, he'll have to address it properly. It's not really good enough to say what he said, based on what's in the public.
I'd have been satisfied with a private acknowledgement and an acceptance by Greenwood that mistakes were made on his part. According to the club, this has happened.

However, the public are unfortunately very entitled and will want specific details under the guise of 'transparency', but genuinely as a further means of drama and condemnation. Though I concede that the public nature of the case only adds to the sense of entitlement for the common man.

However, the public are unfortunately very entitled and will want specific details under the guise of 'transparency', but genuinely as a further means of drama and condemnation. Though I concede that the public nature of the case only adds to the sense of entitlement for the common man.
Christ, what nonsense.

Thinking Greenwood should have to publicly acknowledge and apologise for beating up/threatening to rape his girlfriend before he gets to play for one of the biggest teams in the world has nothing to do with "a further means of drama and condemnation" or having a sense of entitlement.

So:

Public acknowledgement and acceptance = repulsed Drake

Public knowledge of private acknowledgement and aceptance = approving Drake

It does sound a bit convoluted, bordering on disingenuity really.

I'd have been satisfied with a private acknowledgement and an acceptance by Greenwood that mistakes were made on his part. According to the club, this has happened.

You keep saying this, but that means nothing if you don't refer to what the mistakes are. He could be taking as much responsibility for not taking the bins out as any of the content of the recording. The club have said more ambiguous statements, so if you leave a void, it's going to be filled - especially when what is in the public domain is damning.

I think people are entitled to know specifically what he is claiming responsibility for, when rejecting what he was accused of. I don't think that's being entitled if you're a fan of the club. You should have all the information to decide whether you should support him or not - just like with any other club matter. I'm not sure why you're assuming if he were to give more details, that would lead to more drama - especially if it's a reasonable explanation of his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.