Mary Earps | signs for PSG

You agreed with the poster who called me stupid.
I said “That poster has made quite a few along the same lines today” which means you have made endless statements today that defend the club’s attitude towards the women’s team by criticising those very players you have probably supported merely because they’ve chosen to make the most of their careers elsewhere.

I did not call you stupid. But carry on and I’ll probably get around to it.

Id have worded it differently but I don’t think there was too much wrong with what he said. The men’s team mess is likely a much bigger mess and definitely needs prioritising
I don’t think the Head of Women’s
Football (oh wait, we haven’t bothered hiring any after Polly Bancroft left!) and the coach will be called over to negotiate Ashworths compensation fee, or that the money required to resign Mary Earps and get a few extra reinforcements in the door will affect our ability to buy Jarred Branthwaite. They are not activities in competition in any practically meaningful way, so Ratcliffe’s statement about not being able to even think about the women’s team for six months (while issuing new orders for waste deployment on Carrington has been well assessed) is neither credible nor acceptable. It’s as blatant an excuse/lie as you could hope to get away with.

Again people need to realise that the Woman's team is NOT sitting at the top table when it comes to finances and stature.

The finances are not there to start paying stupid sums for wages, and the stature is not there as it's a new club still playing catch up.

Earps leaving has less to do with Ratcliff et al and more to do with where the Woman's team are in terms of progression and history.

Again people need to realise that the Woman's team is NOT sitting at the top table when it comes to finances and stature.

The finances are not there to start paying stupid sums for wages, and the stature is not there as it's a new club still playing catch up.

Earps leaving has less to do with Ratcliff et al and more to do with where the Woman's team are in terms of progression and history.

United are one of the richest clubs in the world, in their own right, and are owned by billionaires. There is no excuse for such disinvestment.

Plenty of reasons, but no excuse.

The amount of people in here blaming Ineos, and Ratcliffe personally, for the problems with the women's team is ridiculous, to now claim "the Jim defenders" are williing to forgive everything just takes it to another level. They took over running the football operation during Christmas. All these contract issues precede their time here by months and years. They have not arisen in the past 6 months. I think it was probably obvious to most of us that we weren't qualifying for the Champions League by Christmas too, which has a bigger impact on anything when it comes to signings. Earps was gone last summer, and anyone who thinks different is naive. It is not "defending Jim" to state things like this. The rot was set in years ago by the Glazers, and it is going to take time to unpick. There is no magic wand.

Questions for the detractors -

1. Should Ineos/the club just throw money at players in the squad to make them stay and not leave on a free
2. How do you know there is no plan for the playing staff / transfers when the window has barely opened
3. How quickly do you think people who have never been involved in women's football can put together a top class organisation?
4. Should they go for short termism and just panic appoint people, or should they build something properly? It's accepted the men's team is a long term project, why would the women's be different?
5. Do people think any club in the world would do it different with regards the training facilities? Somebody has to be in temporary buildings, would any of the other top clubs kick the men out for the women? They want to keep them at Carrington as they appear to believe overall it's the best facility, they have to use temporary cabins. Should the men use temporary cabins or should the club send the women away from Carrington to train somewhere else? Again, this is not an Ineos issue, the problems with Carrington stem from the Glazers. This is unfortunate, but it is difficult to see what the other options are.

A lot of the responses in here feel overly emotional, they also for some posters seem to come from a bias against Ineos and a need to complain no matter what they do. Personally I believe most of these people wanted the "unlimited" money of Qatar, despite what they say. It would have been interesting to see their attitude towards the women's team given the Qatari women's national team is described as "largely inactive".

They have an opportunity to do something with the women's team, and it should absolutely not be rushed. They need a good window, hope Skinner manages to perform and get a backroom staff in place for the future. This will take a year or two to build. City had patience, Chelsea had patience.

The amount of people in here blaming Ineos, and Ratcliffe personally, for the problems with the women's team is ridiculous, to now claim "the Jim defenders" are williing to forgive everything just takes it to another level. They took over running the football operation during Christmas. All these contract issues precede their time here by months and years. They have not arisen in the past 6 months. I think it was probably obvious to most of us that we weren't qualifying for the Champions League by Christmas too, which has a bigger impact on anything when it comes to signings. Earps was gone last summer, and anyone who thinks different is naive. It is not "defending Jim" to state things like this. The rot was set in years ago by the Glazers, and it is going to take time to unpick. There is no magic wand.

Questions for the detractors -

1. Should Ineos/the club just throw money at players in the squad to make them stay and not leave on a free
2. How do you know there is no plan for the playing staff / transfers when the window has barely opened
3. How quickly do you think people who have never been involved in women's football can put together a top class organisation?
4. Should they go for short termism and just panic appoint people, or should they build something properly? It's accepted the men's team is a long term project, why would the women's be different?
5. Do people think any club in the world would do it different with regards the training facilities? Somebody has to be in temporary buildings, would any of the other top clubs kick the men out for the women? They want to keep them at Carrington as they appear to believe overall it's the best facility, they have to use temporary cabins. Should the men use temporary cabins or should the club send the women away from Carrington to train somewhere else? Again, this is not an Ineos issue, the problems with Carrington stem from the Glazers. This is unfortunate, but it is difficult to see what the other options are.

A lot of the responses in here feel overly emotional, they also for some posters seem to come from a bias against Ineos and a need to complain no matter what they do. Personally I believe most of these people wanted the "unlimited" money of Qatar, despite what they say. It would have been interesting to see their attitude towards the women's team given the Qatari women's national team is described as "largely inactive".

They have an opportunity to do something with the women's team, and it should absolutely not be rushed. They need a good window, hope Skinner manages to perform and get a backroom staff in place for the future. This will take a year or two to build. City had patience, Chelsea had patience.

Sweeping assumption there.
I’m commenting from a position going back to watching the women’s team develop under Stoney only to watch her step away because of things like portakabins.

And here we are again. It’s a multi-billion £ club and one of its senior teams is working from portakabins these upcoming season.

Tell me again how that’s going to attract the calibre of player needed to push on next season all the while we look to be losing several of the first team squad.

I’ll say it again but it’s disrespectful to the women at the club once again following not showing up for the FA Cup Final and then cancelling any awards function without even telling them.

All it repeatedly indicates is this isn’t One United and the women are most certainly expected to know their place in this club.

No he isn't.

Yes he is. He even admitted that they arent important to him. If they cant give any attention of focus to the womens team other than removing them from facilities then its either lack of wanting or lack a ability.

Either way it paints Jim and Ineos in a bad light.

I’m commenting from a position going back to watching the women’s team develop under Stoney only to watch her step away because of things like portakabins.

And here we are again. It’s a multi-billion £ club and one of its senior teams is working from portakabins these upcoming season.

Tell me again how that’s going to attract the calibre of player needed to push on next season all the while we look to be losing several of the first team squad.

I’ll say it again but it’s disrespectful to the women at the club once again following not showing up for the FA Cup Final and then cancelling any awards function without even telling them.

All it repeatedly indicates is this isn’t One United and the women are most certainly expected to know their place in this club.

Fantastic post.

What’s the option then regarding changing rooms/portacabins? t’s got nothing to do with “know your place” in my opinion. What are they supposed to do? They’re fixing carrington.

I agree on the awards, I agree on the attendance, no idea why they decided to meet with a group about the stadium on the same day but they did for some reason. It looks bad and they need to learn from it.

That poster has made quite a few along the same lines today.
Know something I never thought I would put someone on ignore in a thread about the women's team, but I have. God know what he will do if Toonie ever gets fed up with the situation eventually.

Yes he is. He even admitted that they arent important to him. If they cant give any attention of focus to the womens team other than removing them from facilities then its either lack of wanting or lack a ability.

Either way it paints Jim and Ineos in a bad light.

He didn't say that.

What’s the option then regarding changing rooms/portacabins? t’s got nothing to do with “know your place” in my opinion. What are they supposed to do? They’re fixing carrington.

I agree on the awards, I agree on the attendance, no idea why they decided to meet with a group about the stadium on the same day but they did for some reason. It looks bad and they need to learn from it.

Not move the womens team out of their facilities and find a solution for the mens, since it's their gaff that's getting fixed?

Not move the womens team out of their facilities and find a solution for the mens, since it's their gaff that's getting fixed?
I'm sorry but this makes no sense fiscally or logistically. The women's team is much more smaller than the mens team.

Realistically how many of you guys even watch them consistently? The fanbase at large? Im not trying to be a dick i genuinely don't know, is it like the WNBA where it is being subsidised with the absurd wealth from the mens game?

Would at least explain the pretty harsh about face from Ratcliffe who will likely have more priorities than just "fund a womans team for good optics", especially given the finances of United which are worse than it appears (transfer debt). Frankly i like that kind of ruthless honesty it bodes well for the future even if its not a great look in these circumstances.

Did United really match an established european top club ran by Qatars offer? if they did, thats pretty cool!

PSG will come 2nd to Lyon as always anyways!

Last edited:
We always get the "offered them the same/better" story after the fact. Has there been a saga like this where a player's actually re-signed, yet?

Women's teams can't be an afterthought any more. Too many clubs taking it seriously and prepared to offer not just money but the right conditions and ambition to attract the best players.

We will be left behind, after working so hard to catch up. If we are supposed to be the biggest club in the world, then we need asuccessful women's team too as part of that. Look at barcelona and the rest, they understand it. Even if you only care about the men's team, having a great womens team increases exposure and brings in new fans. Women's football is probably the one area of marketing growth that is not oversaturated yet. Abandoning it will cost us as a club long term.

I'm ok with her leaving but would question the choice of PSG - not sure they are any more likely than us to win anything since Lyon absolutely dominant in France

Good words from Mary for the fans and that "period of transition" that doesn't align with where she's at sounds fair enough to me.

She's 31 and while it's true that some goalkeepers can keep playing it's a point in life where injuries can start to take their toll on any player and where for any player with ambition the lure of silverware is huge.

Good luck to her.

I'm ok with her leaving but would question the choice of PSG - not sure they are any more likely than us to win anything since Lyon absolutely dominant in France

At least she’ll get to play Champions League more or less every season at a club that tries to sign the best players, instead of losing them every year.

That is a weird one. If she had gone to Lyon you could understand the comments about trophies or Barcelona. Maybe they think getting Mary will push them to the next level.

For sure but PSG are ambitious and they won the league in 2021 and have won a couple of Cups since. They are at least thinking about how to become champions. I'm sure if she had an offer from Lyon or Barcelona - maybe she'd have found the decision easier (and earlier)

As it was United v PSG - it's a different kind of race, because so much is about trajectory and the sales pitch about the future.

That said, it could be just about fancying working in Paris for a couple of years!

So if it isn't trophies what is it? Surely winning trophies is what you want in the end.

I’m sure it is, but I think it’s pretty obvious with the transition comments that she wants to spend her prime at a club that takes the women’s football seriously and plays in the biggest competitions. Staff and facilities are a factor too.

Ambition is a lot of things. She probably wants to play with the best players instead of hanging about at United where the team is an afterthought at best.

Sure she would’ve probably liked to have signed for Barca, Lyon or Wolfsburg but they weren’t interested.

For sure but PSG are ambitious and they won the league in 2021 and have won a couple of Cups since. They are at least thinking about how to become champions. I'm sure if she had an offer from Lyon or Barcelona - maybe she'd have found the decision easier (and earlier)

As it was United v PSG - it's a different kind of race, because so much is about trajectory and the sales pitch about the future.

That said, it could be just about fancying working in Paris for a couple of years!
The comment about transition. That worries me a bit when not sure it should do. Shouldn't we be on an upwards trajectory, or a side still being built. Instead of that we are losing our best players and are either standing still or going backwards. Transition to me is when a great side ages and you are having to gradually replace them with younger more inexperienced players.

The comment about transition. That worries me a bit when not sure it should do. Shouldn't we be on an upwards trajectory, or a side still being built. Instead of that we are losing our best players and are either standing still or going backwards. Transition to me is when a great side ages and you are having to gradually replace them with younger more inexperienced players.

Earps wanted to be polite. She could’ve used more aggressive language but felt there was no need for it. All United fans surely know exactly what she’s talking about?

Earps wanted to be polite. She could’ve used more aggressive language but felt there was no need for it. All United fans surely know exactly what she’s talking about?
Yeah, I know. No mention of the manager again, pity not thanking coaches who must have helped her be the goalkeeper she is. I suppose if she said coaches Skinner might think it includes him. I am probably more annoyed to be honest we have kept him than anything else. I always look at his interactions with Ella. It always looks like she doesn't like him too much. I know you don't have to like your boss, but there should be some respect there.