Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

I’ve heard the same sentiment about like 37 other marvel movies and in the end they all turned out to be senseless shit.
You've heard that about MCU films and at this point you either like them or you don't.

This isn't an MCU film series. The first was excellent and the second is probably even better.

You've heard that about MCU films and at this point you either like them or you don't.

This isn't an MCU film series. The first was excellent and the second is probably even better.

The simplicity is what wins it for me. There's too much pomp and posture with the live-action stuff but this is clearly just for fun. It's the same with that Mario movie. Hard to be offended by either.

Last edited:
I'd back up what @SalfordRed18 says above. If you don't like the MCU stuff that's totally fine and understandable, but these ain't that.
That’s how I got lured into watching Black Panther. Which is probably the most inconsequential movie ever made.

That’s how I got lured into watching Black Panther. Which is probably the most inconsequential movie ever made.
I mean that's literally an MCU film but I'd suggest regardless, watch Spiderman into the spiderverse first. If you can get on board with that, go and watch this in the cinema.

Black Panther was made by Marvel Studios:
the same studio and same producer who'd made the 10-15 previous MCU films that came before it, and the character had previously appeared in one of the Captain America films. The Spiderverse films are made by Sony.

Black Panther is fecking awful. And got undue praise for sociopolitical reasons (IMHO). The Spiderverse movie is far superior. In a different league. I mean, it’s not Citizen Kane but it is a very fun, smart and enjoyable movie. Which is not something you can say about all the other Marvel movie dross.

saw the first one on a flight, even there, the art style did look unique and cool and would have been great on a big screen.
don't remember the plot too much, but it was different than the usual spiderman origin stuff at least.

Marvel: Sir Anthony Hopkins says Thor role was 'pointless acting'

I never understand actors coming out with stuff like this. What was he expecting to happen playing as Odin??
$$$. Those movies probably bought him some summer home in the Seychelles or something.

They all, or most, probably think like that. Hopkins is 85 though and doesn't really need to keep Hollywood execs sweet anymore. Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Olsen etc do.

When they're standing there in front of a giant green screen saying lines to a tennis ball on a stick representing the CGI raccoon, they must be thinking; "What a load of absolute bollocks this is."

Black Panther is fecking awful. And got undue praise for sociopolitical reasons (IMHO). The Spiderverse movie is far superior. In a different league. I mean, it’s not Citizen Kane but it is a very fun, smart and enjoyable movie. Which is not something you can say about all the other Marvel movie dross.
Yep Black Panther was almost as bad as Age of Ultron which is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen (still never finished it)

What if Scorsese is next? "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! By the way, I also want Qatari owners for *checks notes* Manchester United!"

A live action Bambi?

The-Deer-Hunter-Retro-Movie-Poster-Vintage-Photography-Archive-Poster.jpg

What if Scorsese is next? "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! By the way, I also want Qatari owners for *checks notes* Manchester United!"

The-Deer-Hunter-Retro-Movie-Poster-Vintage-Photography-Archive-Poster.jpg

If they offered him enough he'd do one. But it's unlikely they would for the same reason plus he'd want too much creative control.

If they offered him enough he'd do one. But it's unlikely they would for the same reason plus he'd want too much creative control.

Nah, no way. The dude is 80 years old and already a multimillionaire. He has no reason to begin make theme park movies.

Nah, no way. The dude is 80 years old and already a multimillionaire. He has no reason to begin make theme park movies.

Everyone has a price, especially if they were offering to fund some of his other projects.

But it won't happen.

There is a Red Hulk?

And does this mean that I'm mentally the same age as Harrison Ford?

There is a Red Hulk?

And does this mean that I'm mentally the same age as Harrison Ford?
No wonder they keep making this shit. It’s so simple. Just add the same figure but change the colour and you’re done.

I go to the cinema once a week (Either using my Mubi Go pass or otherwise) and the new spiderverse film is one of the best i've seen this year. Can stand alone amongst non-marvel movies.

Watched Avatar 2 at rhe weekend. While I appreciate its a bit of a passion project and he has had much longer to perfect the visuals, the difference between that film and aquaman/Black Panther 2s water effects was night and day.

I go to the cinema once a week (Either using my Mubi Go pass or otherwise) and the new spiderverse film is one of the best i've seen this year. Can stand alone amongst non-marvel movies.

As I said in the thread, it was a good movie but that ending was Marvel all over. It took me out of what was otherwise a very entertaining movie and felt unrewarding in many different ways. People audibly groaned in my screening.

I don't remember that sort of cliffhanger - with zero resolution to any of the plot points - being acceptable a decade ago and feel the acceptance of it is a direct cause of the general Marvelification trend. Maybe Netflix too.

Last edited:
Watched Avatar 2 at rhe weekend. While I appreciate its a bit of a passion project and he has had much longer to perfect the visuals, the difference between that film and aquaman/Black Panther 2s water effects was night and day.
Also has a bigger budget and I imagine 99% of the film is CGI but hey ho.

How was the ending marvel all over?

It didn't end any of its plot points and introduced about 3 more in the space of ten minutes. It said "To be continued" but may well have said, "Sorry but to see the resolution of this story you'll have to buy a ticket to the next one when it's out". That's what made it feel entirely like a product to me which is the biggest criticism I'd give towards most Marvel movies. It was otherwise a very good movie with charismatic characters and superb animation.

It didn't end any of its plot points and introduced about 3 more in the space of ten minutes. It said "To be continued" but may well have said "Sorry but to see the resolution of this story you'll have to buy a ticket to the next one when it's out".

It was otherwise very good. Likable characters and superb animation.

Hadn't they already announced there would be three movies though?

It didn't end any of its plot points and introduced about 3 more in the space of ten minutes. It said "To be continued" but may well have said, "Sorry but to see the resolution of this story you'll have to buy a ticket to the next one when it's out". That's what made it feel entirely like a product to me which is the biggest criticism I'd give towards most Marvel movies. It was otherwise a very good movie with charismatic characters and superb animation.

It's a 2 part story, it was never going to end in this film and that was already announced?

Film series have been doing that for years before marvel, splitting the final story into two. Fine to criticize that, I'm not a massive fan of it I guess, but odd just to link that to marvel when it's common across industry...

Hadn't they already announced there would be three movies though?

Fair enough but I think you can make a trilogy work when you structure a main narrative to exist over the course of three movies while having minor plot points that get wrapped up along the way. That for me is good storytelling and a familiar trend of many of the best trilogy movies. Lord of the Rings. Star Wars. Nolan's Batman movies. Etc. They all have individual films in their respective series that stand out on their own merits instead of feeling just like one big movie split up between 7/8 hours.

It's a 2 part story, it was never going to end in this film and that was already announced?

Film series have been doing that for years before marvel, splitting the final story into two. Fine to criticize that, I'm not a massive fan of it I guess, but odd just to link that to marvel when it's common across industry...

See above but you're right in saying it's not just a Marvel thing. Dune did it too and I remember seeing a few posts on here criticising it, which I thought was fair enough.

Edit - Alright after reading this back I do think I'm being a bit picky but I'll leave it as a talking point :)

Last edited:
Fair enough but I think you can make a trilogy work when you structure a main narrative to exist over the course of three movies while having minor plot points that get wrapped up along the way. That for me is good storytelling and a familiar trend of many of the best trilogy movies. Lord of the Rings. Star Wars. Nolan's Batman movies. Etc. They all have individual films in their series that stand out on their own merits instead of feeling just like one big movie split up between 7/8 hours.

See above but you're right in saying it's not just a Marvel thing. Dune did it too and I remember seeing a few posts on here criticising it, which I thought was fair enough.

That's fair, for me it was a minor issue in an excellent movie. Sometimes I get wrapped up in this stuff a bit more if the movie is bad but the quality of it made me not be bothered by it as much as I perhaps would have before.

That's fair, for me it was a minor issue in an excellent movie. Sometimes I get wrapped up in this stuff a bit more if the movie is bad but the quality of it made me not be bothered by it as much as I perhaps would have before.

That's also fair enough and honestly it was a very enjoyable movie for the most part :)