Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

How are all these Star Wars films and shows doing nowadays? @Mockney's argument about a universe for children etc does make sense if they've actually managed to tap into that demography, but I don't really have the impression that kids care that much about Star Wars?

martinscorsese.gif

I am quite happy occasionally watching loads of things that are ostensibly made for kids - Pixar, Ghibli, Spiderverse, Lord & Miller animated stuff, even Marvel etc because I’m not a joyless chin stroking cnut who completely hates fun (I hate it just the right amount)

The rest of that post is even complaining that the mostly fun show put in some pointless po faced fan service for 45 year olds who are way too invested in this shit (like the they guy whose tweet you posted)

Bare in mind you guys are the ones agreeing with a Twitter account called ‘Jar-jar (Not) Abrams’ that exclusively bitches about Star Wars and it often having women in it.

*that post of mine was far too long tho… Jesus that’s an embarrassingly long post!

Last edited:
I am quite happy occasionally watching loads of things that are ostensibly made for kids - Pixar, Ghibli, Spiderverse, Lord & Miller animated stuff, even Marvel etc because I’m not a joyless chin stroking cnut who completely hates fun (I hate it just the right amount)
Harsh but fair.

Yet seemingly watched by adults.

yea the problem with Star Wars is that its now being made by and for weirdos who can’t grow out of it, but also won’t let it fully embrace the fact it’s silly childrens wizard shit. It would be a lot better if people just admitted it was Harry Potter for Gen Xers and didn try and make it important.

But also that Twitter dude is clearly the absolute worst, so I’m glad that show is annoying him. More Star Wars should deliberately be made to annoy people like him.

Last edited:
Before they make a movie with AI they should make a movie about AI. You could even put Haley Joel Osmont as one of the cast members, or should I say Hailey Joel Osmont.

As the years go by Scorsese's comments look more and more foolish. Eventually we'll all be laughing at this crustly old relic from a decrepit time of primitive beliefs and ideas. Art and aesthetics, stories and myths will go the same way as religion, prophesy and conspiracy theory - viewed as luddite and incompatable with our rapid progression towards AI utopia.

Have a look at the glee in the Chatgpt thread if you don't believe me.

The folly of Scorsese the fecking idiot.

Keep seeing the ad for Air. A movie about a pair of sneakers and they're trying to make it seem like the most hype shit. Feck off.

Still want a pair of Jordans though.

Keep seeing the ad for Air. A movie about a pair of sneakers and they're trying to make it seem like the most hype shit. Feck off.

Still want a pair of Jordans though.
Well, thats one way of putting it. Air Jordans and the fact that Nike even got him to sign was "hype shit" as you put it.

If you're into basketball, trainers or just Michael Jordan I'd recommend.

And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure.

Well, thats one way of putting it. Air Jordans and the fact that Nike even got him to sign was "hype shit" as you put it.

If you're into basketball, trainers or just Michael Jordan I'd recommend.

I like Oregon so I’d recommend this film too! I now know more about Jordan and Nike and for that it was worth watching.

Watched Goodfellas for the millionth time yesterday and it’s amazing how well the film has aged, a film I can watch over & over again. A Masterpiece. Marvel films?! Stop busting my balls…

Watched Goodfellas for the millionth time yesterday and it’s amazing how well the film has aged, a film I can watch over & over again. A Masterpiece. Marvel films?! Stop busting my balls…

Watched again recently and it really has stood the test of time.

Scorcese is a chump for not turning it into a cinematic universe

After they took IMDb from us, they are going for Letterboxd.

Going for? Letterboxd already has the same issue that ruined IMDB when everything either became 10/10 or 1/10, but with the added negative that snarky ten-word reviews are always the most popular ones. I find it a bit annoying.

Pour example:

Screenshot-2023-06-06-121953.png

Last edited:
After they took IMDb from us, they are going for Letterboxd.

Surely the Spiderman movie being number 1 is caused by recency bias and hype? It has to drop.

Looking at the top 250 article posted above, I don't think Letterboxd is as bad as IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. The most popular directors are Kurosawa, Bergman, Kubrick and Wilder. There's also a pretty even distribution of entries from the 1950's and up until now. 30 (+/- 5) picks for every decade, minus the current of course.

There are some crazy picks apart from that Spiderman movie though. The Dark Knight has no business being as highly rated as 16th. EEAAO is good but 28th?! Howl's Moving Castle has no business on this list, never mind top 50!

Surely the Spiderman movie being number 1 is caused by recency bias and hype? It has to drop.

Looking at the top 250 article posted above, I don't think Letterboxd is as bad as IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. The most popular directors are Kurosawa, Bergman, Kubrick and Wilder. There's also a pretty even distribution of entries from the 1950's and up until now. 30 (+/- 5) picks for every decade, minus the current of course.

There are some crazy picks apart from that Spiderman movie though. The Dark Knight has no business being as highly rated as 16th. EEAAO is good but 28th?! Howl's Moving Castle has no business on this list, never mind top 50!

I saw somebody once describe Letterboxd as a first-year film student's dream and having once been a first-year film student I look back in anguish at how true it is.

I much prefer MUBI as the reviews are more well rounded, though less popular so nobody posts on it much anymore.

I saw somebody once describe Letterboxd as a first-year film student's dream and having once been a first-year film student I look back in anguish at how true it is.

But that is kind of what makes it (the top list) so good. It has a foot in both camps (high concept and large audience). And unlike every other list I've seen it doesn't have any strong time/era bias.

The reviews are a circus though. I guess it's doomed to happen when the only way to stand out is to try and be funny.

Obviously we're in a Marvel-bashing thread which I'm generally all for, but the new Spider-Man film is legitimately fantastic. Obviously it will get a boost on these aggregation websites because it's an established franchise and has Marvel slapped on it, but it's getting plaudits for a reason.

Obviously we're in a Marvel-bashing thread which I'm generally all for, but the new Spider-Man film is legitimately fantastic. Obviously it will get a boost on these aggregation websites because it's an established franchise and has Marvel slapped on it, but it's getting plaudits for a reason.
I’ve heard the same sentiment about like 37 other marvel movies and in the end they all turned out to be senseless shit.

Don't think that gives a genuine bad films a boost tbh.