Martial exit?

Worry with Martial is that he's getting so much worse. In his first 4 seasons he only missed 14 games, which is actually a great record. Since then he's got worse and worse, and last season was comfortably his worst yet. Plus its all different things - achilles, thigh, knee, hamstring, hip, back, there's barely a bit he hasn't pulled. When you see his timid performances and absent pace, you have to think that not only has his physical ability been affected, but that he also might be playing within himself for fear of more injuries.

Getting rid of Tony, Bailly and Telles in the same window would be absolutely magical. Throw in DVB, Hendo and Maguire and this window won't ever be beaten.
My departure wishlist: Elanga, Fred, DVB, Williams, Mct, Bailly, Telles, Henderson, Tony, Maguire, Sancho
You want to ship out 11 players on top of the kids that have left and DDG/Jones?!! :eek: Our squad is already kinda light, slowly evolving is a better way.
You don’t get rid in one window, it should be a continual improvement of the first 11 and that I turn strengthens the squad.

He's done at this level, no one wants him say it all.

Thought Ten Hag was fed up of him getting injured when he said "He needs to make himself available more".

He can't even get fit to play in pre season game. Forget about him contributing during the season. In addition to injuries, 80% of the time, he does nothing in the games.

We might be stuck with him given the way the budget's looking and the hardness of the ball being played by Atalanta.

He'll trip over and get injured on the way to signing for a new club...

You wouldn't give Sancho one more season? To be fair to him, he's had 4 managers in 2 years and this might be the season he adapts to ETH's style.
He's not top of my transfer wishlist, but certainly a player that I wouldn't mind seeing the back of.
You want to ship out 11 players on top of the kids that have left and DDG/Jones?!! :eek: Our squad is already kinda light, slowly evolving is a better way.
You don’t get rid in one window, it should be a continual improvement of the first 11 and that I turn strengthens the squad.
Sancho wouldn't be top of that list and Mct is limited & you know exactly what you're getting, but otherwise it would be amazing if all of them were shipped out. I know it'll never happen though.

He can't even get fit to play in pre season game. Forget about him contributing during the season. In addition to injuries, 80% of the time, he does nothing in the games.

Martial injures himself just thinking about how he'll manage to pick up another injury so that he doesn't have to bother showing up to matches while cashing his 250k/week checks. Direct deposit I assume lest he risk an injury on the way to the bank to deposit every sweet quarter million pound check.

Martial injures himself just thinking about how he'll manage to pick up another injury so that he doesn't have to bother showing up to matches while cashing his 250k/week checks. Direct deposit I assume lest he risk an injury on the way to the bank to deposit every sweet quarter million pound check.
And I thought I was cruel.

People being happy with £10m for Martial ffs :lol:thank God you're not in charge

Few would be "happy" with it, but it seems very likely we'll struggle to get that due to the injury record and usual United scenario of sky high wages.

I really rated Martial until this season. I thought he’d kick on it turns out Rashford did and he didn’t.
I just worry if he goes we’ll have one unproven striker and Rashford and that’s if we sign Hojilund. Having said that I think he’s finished at utd, he is injury prone and doesn’t want it enough.

If we sell half the players rumoured to be up for sale we should have enough budget for two strikers surely.

Foster 25m
Elanga 15m
Fred 20m
McTominay 30m
Maguire 40m
Martial 25m

Surely for that budget we could snap up Kane and Hojilund. We also have at least 50m tied up in an internal investigation at present. (No names mentioned).

Something happened to him during Ole’s tenure. Before then, he barely missed a game.

Few would be "happy" with it, but it seems very likely we'll struggle to get that due to the injury record and usual United scenario of sky high wages.

I reckon he'd have to take a cut in his salary wherever he goes. His contract expires next summer and none of the clubs interested are going to pay him as much as we do.

I don't reckon we'll get rid of him. You can sense ETH rates him massively and views him as an ideal no9. He's probably content to gamble keeping him (lose the potential transfer fee & wages off the book) and hope that he stays fit for the majority of the season.

I suspect Hojlund will be brought in incase he can't stay fit for the majority of the season which is likely. If both are fit, I'd imagine ETH would go mostly with Martial with a strong rotation in place with Hojlund. I get that we massively need a number 9 and you don't spend top money on a striker to have him on the bench, but he's only 20 and will be his first season in the Prem.

As it will likely turn out, Martial will come off the bench early on in the next season whilst he build his fitness, have a good game and then get injured leaving Hojlund as the sole no9.

I really rated Martial until this season. I thought he’d kick on it turns out Rashford did and he didn’t.
I just worry if he goes we’ll have one unproven striker and Rashford and that’s if we sign Hojilund. Having said that I think he’s finished at utd, he is injury prone and doesn’t want it enough.

If we sell half the players rumoured to be up for sale we should have enough budget for two strikers surely.

Foster 25m
Elanga 15m
Fred 20m
McTominay 30m
Maguire 40m
Martial 25m

Surely for that budget we could snap up Kane and Hojilund. We also have at least 50m tied up in an internal investigation at present. (No names mentioned).

Henderson?

I'd probably value him at £30m. He is a very talented player, and he would likely do very well in a weaker league if he manages to get rid of his injuries. He has one year left, but when you consider all the players who are much worse than him going for way higher fees, it's not an unrealistic task.
30m with 1 year left and is never fit? Dream land. Whats his actual goal scoring record in the past 2 years too?

30m for a striker who has 18 goals in all competitions over the past 3 season?

30m with 1 year left and is never fit? Dream land. Whats his actual goal scoring record in the past 2 years too?

I've come to realise £30m may be a bit too much with his injury record, but you never know with these Saudi clubs. He shouldn't be sold for less than Elanga though.

You know its time to get rid of a player when every other post starts with "if"

We don't need players who are only available or perform well based on conditions that are shown to almost never be true.

Christ how many times did we have to read "if he could stay fit" in a Phil Jones thread over the years

I've come to realise £30m may be a bit too much with his injury record, but you never know with these Saudi clubs. He shouldn't be sold for less than Elanga though.
The Saudi clubs are not overpaying where they don’t need to. We got less than 10m for Telles and as for Elanga hes young and stays fit

The Saudi clubs are not overpaying where they don’t need to. We got less than 10m for Telles and as for Elanga hes young and stays fit

Overpaying for Fabinho, for sure.

Injuries aren't necessarily career lasting either. It's not unlikely that he'll be rid of them by playing in a weaker league where it's not as intense to your body.

He also played 28 matches last season, and Saudi clubs are not in European cups so there will be less games to play.

Lovely player but can’t be relied on for his fitness.

Surprised a move to Saudi League hasn’t been mooted.

Yes, he was great the season before, 18
Goals and 11 assists. Followed by 8 and 8 after the shirt loss.

With our severe lack of goal scoring threat (other than Rashford) I guess we have no choice but to keep him. Eurgh.

Get him off the wage bill and move on. Fed up discussing him.

Overpaying for Fabinho, for sure.

Injuries aren't necessarily career lasting either. It's not unlikely that he'll be rid of them by playing in a weaker league where it's not as intense to your body.

He also played 28 matches last season, and Saudi clubs are not in European cups so there will be less games to play.
And played less than 40 mins per game or something. Also he was out for huge amounts early on in the season coming back for a handful of games then getting injured again, if he had played half his games say at the back end of the season with, great stats etc after a long break then maybe. But his injury record points to lots of medium term injuries scattered around short periods of fitness. That’s a sign of a body that seems to be wearing badly. On top of that when he does play he has lost he explosive game, maybe due to mentally being worried about injuries, maybe the actual injuries are just limiting him.

With our severe lack of goal scoring threat (other than Rashford) I guess we have no choice but to keep him. Eurgh.

Looks like his recent few goals a season might be needed. As it stands only Rashford has some pedigree in terms of goals. Hojlund (if we get him) Antony, Sancho are not sure things. Unless we get get rid and get the Porto striker to help Hojlund.

And played less than 40 mins per game or something. Also he was out for huge amounts early on in the season coming back for a handful of games then getting injured again, if he had played half his games say at the back end of the season with, great stats etc after a long break then maybe. But his injury record points to lots of medium term injuries scattered around short periods of fitness. That’s a sign of a body that seems to be wearing badly. On top of that when he does play he has lost he explosive game, maybe due to mentally being worried about injuries, maybe the actual injuries are just limiting him.

Being subbed on or off is hardly his fault when he's not injured?

6 of his last 10 he played 54 minutes or more, subbed off mostly around the 70th-85th mark.

I'd be wary of his injury record signing him too, but it's not like he never plays.

We're negotiating with a player for over double that value who has 27 goals in 3 seasons...so you can't go just off goals.

Have we ever seen Martial suffer an injury during an actual football match?

Seems to me his injuries always crop up in training or in between training sessions.

What does that have to do with his injury record?

I suspect his desire has a lot to do with his injury record. I remember hearing a Daniel Sturridge interview in which he stated his cultural heritage meant he was more injury prone. Which was clearly all in his head.
I’d bet Martial is mentally not strong enough in desire so is happy to spend more time off the pitch with small injuries.

Have we ever seen Martial suffer an injury during an actual football match?

Seems to me his injuries always crop up in training or in between training sessions.
That's why he's injured now. Got injured against Fulham last season.

Don't know why that matters. Players more often get injured during training than in matches. We had like 4 injuries during matches last season but overall injury count for the season was much higher.