Martial exit?

19/20: Martial (2624 mins), Pulisic (1722 mins)
20/21: Martial (1480 mins), Pulisic (1738 mins)
21/22: Martial (Loaned out to Sevilla for 6 (?) months), Pulisic (1290 mins)
22/23: Martial (978 mins), Pulisic (821 mins)

They're pretty even, but Martial has played more since Pulisic joined if you look away from the season where Martial was loaned out to Sevilla. Martial is the better player as well, but he is an easy target because of his lack of "fight", weak mentality and got the looks of a whiner.

I'm all for selling him, but for £10m it's pointless, unless we replace him. We need more than Højlund and Rashford.
Appearances make more sense when comparing availability. And yes if you exclude a season where Pulisic played more than Martial obviously you can feck up the comparison.

Appearances make more sense when comparing availability. And yes if you exclude a season where Pulisic played more than Martial obviously you can feck up the comparison.

I excluded it because he didn't play for us. Sevilla didn't rate him at all so he was often sat on the bench. This was, after all, about availability?

If Pulisic can go for €20m, Martial can do the same. He is on a higher salary, but he is going to have a cut there if he wants to continue his career.

Because he’s basically never fully fit? He’s the type of player that can only perform well when he’s fully healthy and any slight knock and he’s a pale shadow of himself.

We’re better off moving him on and forcing ourself to play the youngsters. That’s literally how the likes of Rashford broke through.
It's only worth playing the youngsters if there is a youngster capable of it. We don't have one up top. Our striker options currently aside from the few times Martial is fit are Rashford who is our LW starter, or Sancho as a false 9 which ten hag is trying out. Might sign Hojlund. If so, we have Hojlund/Sancho, rashford/Garnacho, Antony/amad as our front 3 options. Basically the second a senior player gets injured, it's teenagers coming in. Martial being there at least is just a stronger group and gives someone who can reliably hold up the ball on occasion, if he gets fully fit.

I'm all for selling him, and he's gone regardless next summer, but we would need to replace him. Hojlund is an add without needing to sell, we'd be short options if we don't add 2 strikers if he's sold and realistically we aren't getting 2 strikers

Last edited:
Martial will have a standout season this year so it makes no sense to sell him. A friend of a friend has told me that he's got a new intensive workout regiment to cope with the intensity of a full season and that's he's been juicing his legs to the max.

The injuries are a thing of the past.

I don't get the complaint with his standard level of form when fit. We have been consistently better when Martial play. The problem is his injury record and the obvious fact that he is very injury prone. Which also, obviously, makes him difficult to sell.

Because anything to compare him to recently hasn't exactly been an acceptable standard. I said in my initial post on his day he was class and a massive asset to our attack in positioning, dribbling and link up. But those days have become few and far between even when fit.

We simply can't keep around a player that'll do at most 20 games a season, on more money than Salah, because "he's good sometimes" and "he's better than our other current options".

Even if he was fit all year round, he simply isn't good enough to justify his salary when we need to think about the rest of the team. This isn't even a "well it's not your money" argument. It's fecking mental and unsustainable to have one of the highest paid players in the league as a rotation option. It unsettles the team, it makes it harder to sign players and hurts FFP when you want as much wiggle room as possible.

Martial will have a standout season this year so it makes no sense to sell him. A friend of a friend has told me that he's got a new intensive workout regiment to cope with the intensity of a full season and that's he's been juicing his legs to the max.

The injuries are a thing of the past.

My mam's dog's hairdresser's mate works at Boston Dynamic and has said they've fitted him out with bionic legs and a pashun chip in his brain.

We could have got good money for him, if we had decided to sell him when Mourinho and Solskjaer had no objections about replacing him. We could have even fooled someone into overpaying for him. Now, he's overstayed his welcome at the club for the whole footballing world to "suspect" that there's something wrong with him.

In some ways, he's the anti-Lukaku. The latter has managed to become the most expensive player in the world (transfer fees added) by moving to a club, never really providing any real solutions, but staying just long enough for the next potential buyer to overlook that and still consider that he's worth a punt.

The comparison with Pulisic, who is a good utility player who can do a job or two in several tactical set-ups, is a bit weird. Clubs will pay 20 odd million for such players as there are several things to gain, if the transfer works out, and few things to lose in regard to the manager's plan, if it doesn't. Martial plays in a position where it's expected to deliver on a constant basis. And it's not just his injury record. Complaints about his work-rate and attitude go back to Ranieri at Monaco. ETH is the third United manager that has zero problem with him going. He's also one of these players who, even when they come back from injury, they need a lot of time to find their rhythm. Add to this that he's very moody, he seems able to perform at his best only when everything, on and outside the pitch, is absolutely perfect. After 8 seasons, good luck convincing someone that he's worth a fee big enough to make him their starting forward.

It's only worth playing the youngsters if there is a youngster capable of it. We don't have one up top. Our striker options currently aside from the few times Martial is fit are Rashford who is our LW starter, or Sancho as a false 9 which ten hag is trying out. Might sign Hojlund. If so, we have Hojlund/Sancho, rashford/Garnacho, Antony/amad as our front 3 options. Basically the second a senior player gets injured, it's teenagers coming in.
Nobody thought Rashford was ready to make the step up and look what happened when given the chance.

If anything, the striker position is basically a free run for our youths because all they have to do is match Martial and Weghorst total 9 goals in all tournaments combined and we’re better off than last season already. Even if we sign Holjund, I’m sure our youth strikers and him can combine for at least 9 goals over an entire season.

Because anything to compare him to recently hasn't exactly been an acceptable standard. I said in my initial post on his day he was class and a massive asset to our attack in positioning, dribbling and link up. But those days have become few and far between even when fit.

We simply can't keep around a player that'll do at most 20 games a season, on more money than Salah, because "he's good sometimes" and "he's better than our other current options".

Even if he was fit all year round, he simply isn't good enough to justify his salary when we need to think about the rest of the team. This isn't even a "well it's not your money" argument. It's fecking mental and unsustainable to have one of the highest paid players in the league as a rotation option. It unsettles the team, it makes it harder to sign players and hurts FFP when you want as much wiggle room as possible.

My mam's dog's hairdresser's mate works at Boston Dynamic and has said they've fitted him out with bionic legs and a pashun chip in his brain.
Why would you say he isn't good enough if fit? He has always performed very well, and we have had better performances as a club with him. I'm not saying we should keep him but let's not rewrite history.

Why would you say he isn't good enough if fit? He has always performed very well, and we have had better performances as a club with him. I'm not saying we should keep him but let's not rewrite history.

You seriously think if Martial was fit 100% of the time the club shouldn't look for a better forward?

There's plenty of games the past few years where he offered nothing to the team. Yeah we can pick games where he was a deciding factor and very very good but more often than not it was the former.

Nobody thought Rashford was ready to make the step up and look what happened when given the chance.

If anything, the striker position is basically a free run for our youths because all they have to do is match Martial and Weghorst total 9 goals in all tournaments combined and we’re better off than last season already. Even if we sign Holjund, I’m sure our youth strikers and him can combine for at least 9 goals over an entire season.
Yes but Rashford was an excellent prospect always. Our only real striker in the academy is what, Joe Hugill? Who was on loan in the 5th division at the end of last season?

Play the kids only works when you have kids worth playing. Garnacho, Amad, Mainoo - sure. We don't have that at CF.

I didn’t get the point of referencing that he was loaned out without mentioning how often he played.

I’ld give him away so any fee would be a bonus. Utter waste of space

This post makes zero sense. What has Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 being weaker leagues anything to do with transfers between PL teams? I'm honestly stunned this is what you managed to scrape together from that post, using it as an argument like it is somehow relevant to anything? Not only that, you have the audacity to finish with "great logic" after that tragic logic of yours? :lol:

AC Milan just bought Christian fecking Pulisic for €20m. You don't think they can pay £15m for Martial?
Apologies if I've been unclear.

You mentioned in another post that Martial would be good in a 'weaker league.' Another poster asked you to name the weaker leagues so you replied with: Serie A, L1 and BL. You then used a prem transfer (Gibbs White) as an example of valuation in the same post.

That's why I suggested that your example was illogical. Again, apologies if I was unclear.

Regarding your Pulisic example: he has more value than Martial (despite being a less talented player). Much lower wages, younger, less injury issues, more years on his contract and has marketing appeal, being the yank poster boy.

Now, which clubs from these 'weaker leagues' do you think will spend £15m on an injury prone £250k pw Martial?

His insane wages and abysmal fitness record, as well as his overall shiteness as a footballer, will make it difficult to offload him to any club, regardless of how weak the league may be. Perhaps the Saudis will see a punt worth taking though.

What's wrong with his output when you consider his goals and assists per 90?

Elanga went for £15m and you want to get rid of Martial for £10m. Jesus.

I get your point but no, I don’t consider that. Martial is just straight up annoying af due to constantly being out. We can’t rely on him, he let’s the club down by not being able to stay fit. No wonder no club wants him, as he contributes next to nothing. And yes I accept 10 as it also frees up salary for someone more reliable.

You seriously think if Martial was fit 100% of the time the club shouldn't look for a better forward?

There's plenty of games the past few years where he offered nothing to the team. Yeah we can pick games where he was a deciding factor and very very good but more often than not it was the former.
When fit Martial is a fantastic forward. Sadly, that is a rare occasion and completely impossible to build a squad with such an injury prone player.

Every serious team should have more than one striker options, and because of that we should have another striker.

Because of Martial's fitness problems, we need two.

My memory is like a sieve but off the top of my head.
1- Debut.
2- last minute winner against spurs.
3 - header in the Europa against Wolfsburg.
4 - last minute assist against Newcastle for Pogba header.
5 - last minute winner (or was it an equaliser? Someone help me out) against Chelsea.
6 - sitting van Dyke on his arse against Southampton and scoring.
7 - FA cup semi final winner against Everton
8 - A MOTM display against City a couple season ago (he had a couple brilliant ones against them).
9 - can’t think of a specific game but he electric in that post covid period under Ole. Must be a specific game I’m forgetting in there!
10 - Stunning solo goal I think against Burnley.

There are many more that I’m forgetting because my memory is terrible but they are literally off the top of my head. Don’t get me wrong it’s time to go, but I can’t pretend that he hasn’t had some fantastic moments at the club and in spells been one of our best players.

1&7 are the two immediate ones for me.

I actually couldn't remember the winner against Spurs that's your number two until I was at the end of the list. And I think that's my gripe with this list as a whole -- bar 2 maybe 3 at a stretch they're ordinary moments in the life and expectations of a Manchester United player, especially a striker.

Unless we have a few options lined up to fill gaps in the squad, I don't see any point in selling him right now.

A small fee isn't going to make any odds as to whether we can get a replacement squad member in or not, so why not do that first and then see what happens.

He's unreliable so erm... Don't rely on him but if he gives 15 games a season and 5-10 goals then so be it. One or two of them might turn out to be important.

We need a bigger squad than last season clearly. Injuries and suspensions crippled us so while we need to add quality, we also need to make sure we have options available to us if we have another crisis.

Bringing in Hojlund and losing Martial when last season we had to bring in the might Wout just doesn't add up. Hojlund isn't prolific for one thing though I saw someone give a fair explanation for this, but given equal game time over next season I wouldn't be surprised if Martial scored more than him.

So may as well keep him. Unless a striker comes available who really wants to leave their club but some bald guy is holding him hostage so that his only viable option is a sort of German Celtic. Then I'll drive him to the airport myself.

Unless we have a few options lined up to fill gaps in the squad, I don't see any point in selling him right now.

A small fee isn't going to make any odds as to whether we can get a replacement squad member in or not, so why not do that first and then see what happens.

He's unreliable so erm... Don't rely on him but if he gives 15 games a season and 5-10 goals then so be it. One or two of them might turn out to be important.

We need a bigger squad than last season clearly. Injuries and suspensions crippled us so while we need to add quality, we also need to make sure we have options available to us if we have another crisis.

Bringing in Hojlund and losing Martial when last season we had to bring in the might Wout just doesn't add up. Hojlund isn't prolific for one thing though I saw someone give a fair explanation for this, but given equal game time over next season I wouldn't be surprised if Martial scored more than him.

So may as well keep him. Unless a striker comes available who really wants to leave their club but some bald guy is holding him hostage so that his only viable option is a sort of German Celtic. Then I'll drive him to the airport myself.
He hasn’t given us 1400 minutes as 15 games in forever. 21 games ant 40 mins is not the same.

He hasn’t given us 1400 minutes as 15 games in forever. 21 games ant 40 mins is not the same.

May not matter now. Last paragraph looks to be a goer. Clearly Joe Lewis reads the Caf and saw my post and got on the blower with Levy. He's never been a fan of Martial clearly and wants to see the back of him at any cost.

£13,000,000 wages off the books - would definitely help us maneuver.

Bar Kane or Osimhen, both of which are unrealistic and possibly beyond financial limitations, no striker we're linked to would be getting that much. It would help with us getting a main striker and a cheap secondary rotation option.

Can definitely see a scenario where if we sell Martial we'll do the below going into the season for the #9 role with four options:

1) Hojlund / someone else
2) A cheaper young acquisition of the Gift Orban mould (not him specifically, but a bit of punt type deal) / older experienced striker on loan (not Weghorst, but that type of deal)
3) Rashford
4) F9 Sancho or Fernandes

Number 2 is the part I'm least confident on happening. Would be nice to have the four options for central attack but we'll have to see, we may well settle with new #9 / rashford / F9.

We will need back up for Højlund. The only way I see Tony going, is if we are planning on keeping Voldemort and playing him.

My memory is like a sieve but off the top of my head.
1- Debut.
2- last minute winner against spurs.
3 - header in the Europa against Wolfsburg.
4 - last minute assist against Newcastle for Pogba header.
5 - last minute winner (or was it an equaliser? Someone help me out) against Chelsea.

6 - sitting van Dyke on his arse against Southampton and scoring.
7 - FA cup semi final winner against Everton
8 - A MOTM display against City a couple season ago (he had a couple brilliant ones against them).
9 - can’t think of a specific game but he electric in that post covid period under Ole. Must be a specific game I’m forgetting in there!
10 - Stunning solo goal I think against Burnley.

There are many more that I’m forgetting because my memory is terrible but they are literally off the top of my head. Don’t get me wrong it’s time to go, but I can’t pretend that he hasn’t had some fantastic moments at the club and in spells been one of our best players.

Don't think any of them happened but I get your general point.

He's had some very good moments here, but overall he's been a huge disappointment. That first season especially, I thought we had a special talent.

18/19 - looked classy, never done it since due to the injuries, i dont blame him per se, some athletes never recover mentally or physically

We will need back up for Højlund. The only way I see Tony going, is if we are planning on keeping Voldemort and playing him.

I think it's pretty certain that we intend to play he who must not be named next season. If he was going to be overseas on loan he'd be gone by now I think.

If we can save 250k a week off the wage bill for a striker that is made of glass then we should definitely do so.

Bar Kane or Osimhen, both of which are unrealistic and possibly beyond financial limitations, no striker we're linked to would be getting that much. It would help with us getting a main striker and a cheap secondary rotation option.

Can definitely see a scenario where if we sell Martial we'll do the below going into the season for the #9 role with four options:

2) A cheaper young acquisition of the Gift Orban mould (not him specifically, but a bit of punt type deal) / older experienced striker on loan (not Weghorst, but that type of deal)
3) Rashford

Number 2 is the part I'm least confident on happening. Would be nice to have the four options for central attack but we'll have to see, we may well settle with new #9 / rashford / F9.

Or Kane number 1 and Hojlund number 2 , Hojlund can play left or right inverted striker too.

3) Rashford

Kane is not unrealistic, with him saying he’s only signing for £500-600k per week that makes the whole subject that much easier for United to negotiate especially on a free, Fans forget we paid Christiano and Alex Sanches those level of wages, only City, united, Newcastle and maybe Chelsea can pay Kane those wages and Bayern definitely won’t no chance, there look at Muyani now!