Marcus Rashford in talks with Manchester United over new long-term deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
250k a week is absurd for Rashford. Really starting to fall out of love with my club. We will now be stuck with Rashford for the foreseeable future and I think we will regret that big time.

As big of a fan I am of Lindelof, he is not responsible for scoring goals. Our strategy is essentially, get the ball to Rashford, and let him work his magic.
Mate, he scored 10 goals in the league and constantly has games where he is an absolute liability. Just because he had a purple patch, he doesn’t deserve 250k a week. He is no where near our best player. He could be although I doubt it because he has serious deficiencies in his game. Our strategy has been to get the ball to Pogba and let him create and it has been crystal clear to everyone that he was our best player in that purple patch after Ole took over. Rashford was excellent, but was nowhere close to how good Pogba was

250k a week is absurd for Rashford. Really starting to fall out of love with my club. We will now be stuck with Rashford for the foreseeable future and I think we will regret that big time.

Whilst I agree that 250K is bonkers for Rashford, I very much believe he'll be a great player for us for many many years. Our wage structure is pure madness though (@Wumminator which is not a sign of ambition, ftr, but incompetence).

He cares about the club, he works hard, he can improve plenty. He'd be well served with Ole bringing in more characters with good mentality and professionalism.

Maybe im out of touch with salaries, but isnt 250k reserved for some of the best players out there? Im pretty sure I read somewhere that Hazard is on around the same amount in Madrid.

Whilst I agree that 250K is bonkers for Rashford, I very much believe he'll be a great player for us for many many years. Our wage structure is pure madness though (@Wumminator which is not a sign of ambition, ftr, but incompetence).

He cares about the club, he works hard, he can improve plenty. He'd be well served with Ole bringing in more characters with good mentality and professionalism.
Oh yes, I mean in our worst period in decades, he decided to run down his contract and used the club’s desperation to get a huge contract.

Oh yes, I mean in our worst period in decades, he decided to run down his contract and used the club’s desperation to get a huge contract.

You think he intentionally tried to feck us over, rather than it being a clear pattern of our inability to manage contract negotiations well?

If reported wages are true, it’s a joke. He’s done nothing to deserve that level. A talented boy no doubt, but not deserving of it as yet

Because he’s entering the last year of his contract. Not agreeing soon, and any agent worth his salt is going to start testing the waters. Next thing you know it’s January and all the power shifts to the player, or he walks for free next Summer.
Exactly the point, by January you would know whether he’s worth what he’s demanding, no problem paying up then.

We are kind of bent over backwards with it because of the market. If he doesn’t resign and leaves on a free, it’d cost us more to sign someone to replace him than to give him more wages.

He’s never worth the 250k a week - but who is? Rather it was in his pocket than the glazers.

You think he intentionally tried to feck us over, rather than it being a clear pattern of our inability to manage contract negotiations well?
Oh yes, I truly do. I also believe his agent planted those Barca stories. Tell me this, you are a United fan, you have been one your whole life, playing for United has been your biggest dream and you are now living your dream, you are the leading striker, would you wait to sign a contract? I know I wouldn’t, I would sign it the at the earliest. If you tell me that we mismanaged Herrera’s contract, I will agree but I don’t think the club would do the same with Rashford. He’s too valuable to the club and dear to the fans to just allow his contract to run out.

What are these bonuses? He probably have a similar structure in his last contract and why he's got so greedy infront of goal..

We are kind of bent over backwards with it because of the market. If he doesn’t resign and leaves on a free, it’d cost us more to sign someone to replace him than to give him more wages.

He’s never worth the 250k a week - but who is? Rather it was in his pocket than the glazers.
Im pretty sure we said the same thing with Sanchez. Contracts have a domino effect, you give a 21 year old 250k a week, how much will genuine superstars like Pogba, DDG ask for? How much will our new signings ask for? Glazers will leave the club the second we stop making those millions and we will be left with a bunch of average players on 200 and 300k

You don’t agree?
Erm, no. The club cannot wait until the January transfer window opens to try to pin Rashford down on a new contract, if they have any intention of keeping him. I won’t go into the endless reasons why.

Oh yes, I truly do. I also believe his agent planted those Barca stories. Tell me this, you are a United fan, you have been one your whole life, playing for United has been your biggest dream and you are now living your dream, you are the leading striker, would you wait to sign a contract? I know I wouldn’t, I would sign it the at the earliest. If you tell me that we mismanaged Herrera’s contract, I will agree but I don’t think the club would do the same with Rashford. He’s too valuable to the club and dear to the fans to just allow his contract to run out.

Yeah, I don't know this ins and outs of it. Just saw his brother is his agent. I do remember there was talk of a new contract in the autumn, speculation about 150K deal, up from 75K. That would be about right. Hopefully the figure 250K is well off the mark. But I think this has less to do with him being naturally greedy and entitled, and more to do with the culture the hierarchy has created at the club. I would assume every single player at the club is being paid more than what they could realistically earn elsewhere, bar maybe Pogba and de Gea.

I like him as a player, I hope we retain him and build with him, but I also accept that we have to change our wage structure and fix the ratio between performance, ability and wages.

Yeah, I don't know this ins and outs of it. Just saw his brother is his agent. I do remember there was talk of a new contract in the autumn, speculation about 150K deal, up from 75K. That would be about right. Hopefully the figure 250K is well off the mark. But I think this has less to do with him being naturally greedy and entitled, and more to do with the culture the hierarchy has created at the club. I would assume every single player at the club is being paid more than what they could realistically earn elsewhere, bar maybe Pogba and de Gea.

I like him as a player, I hope we retain him and build with him, but I also accept that we have to change our wage structure and fix the ratio between performance, ability and wages.
I want to keep him too but we have to start being ruthless. Just in the last year or so, 5 of our players nearly ran out their contracts - Fellaini, Mata,Herrera, Martial and Rashford. One left (apparently because we wouldn’t meet his wage demands), we paid over the top for Fellaini before he left (100 k plus IIRC -too much for a squad player), agreed to give into Mata’s demand for a 3 year contract extension, paid over the top to keep Martial and are about to do the same for Rashford. DDG is now thinking of running down his contract and we will probably offer something like 300,350k to keep him. The only players who we have been able to extend are the average players like Young, Jones, Rojo and even then we are paying ridiculous wages to those players.

If this trend continues, every player we sign is going to run down their contract and ask for 250, 300 k to sign a new contract and they are going to give the same reason Felllaini gave when asked why the club should pay him that much - it would take millions to replace me, so better pay me or else I’m gone. Start contract negotiations early and if the person has no intention of staying, adios

There's no pleasing some people. De Ligt has had 1 good season at Ajax is having money thrown at him. If Rashford was French or playing in Germany you guys would be glad to pay this for him.

If we put him for sale plenty of clubs will pay him that.

I’d cash out on him if that Barca offer is true.

I dont think Barca are that daft, Rashford is more of a pace merchant than technical. Dont think he will suit to their style.
200K on table, take or leave it deal would be good enough.I dont think anyone else will take a punt on that kind of wages even he is available for free in a year time.

There's no pleasing some people. De Ligt has had 1 good season at Ajax is having money thrown at him. If Rashford was French or playing in Germany you guys would be glad to pay this for him.

Seems this view is in the minority on here! I'm extatic we're tying down one of the hottest properties in world football rather than being forced to sell! I have a feeling, this season or next, his game will raise to top tier status! He's shown glimpses and should now be maturing his game! With him and Greenwood we could have a very exciting attack for the forseeable!

I want to keep him too but we have to start being ruthless. Just in the last year or so, 5 of our players nearly ran out their contracts - Fellaini, Mata,Herrera, Martial and Rashford. One left (apparently because we wouldn’t meet his wage demands), we paid over the top for Fellaini before he left (100 k plus IIRC -too much for a squad player), agreed to give into Mata’s demand for a 3 year contract extension, paid over the top to keep Martial and are about to do the same for Rashford. DDG is now thinking of running down his contract and we will probably offer something like 300,350k to keep him. The only players who we have been able to extend are the average players like Young, Jones, Rojo and even then we are paying ridiculous wages to those players.

If this trend continues, every player we sign is going to run down their contract and ask for 250, 300 k to sign a new contract and they are going to give the same reason Felllaini gave when asked why the club should pay him that much - it would take millions to replace me, so better pay me or else I’m gone. Start contract negotiations early and if the person has no intention of staying, adios
How exactly do you do that? Say, you start contract talks 2 seasons in advance. A player is making 100 k currently and is demanding 200k for a new contract plus the signing-on bonus. You find it too much and offer 150k max. The player does not agree. How do you do "adios"? Try to sell him? What if he does not move? Do you bench him, put in reserves? Any player has a guaranteed right to run his contract down. You either convince him to extend, and if he does not agree, he either sees his contract out or moves elsewhere. It is up to the player to decide whether he fancies a move or not. If he does not, he sees his contract out.

Seems this view is in the minority on here! I'm extatic we're tying down one of the hottest properties in world football rather than being forced to sell! I have a feeling, this season or next, his game will raise to top tier status! He's shown glimpses and should now be maturing his game! With him and Greenwood we could have a very exciting attack for the forseeable!

Your exclamation marks convinced me.

Edit: !

Speak for yourself. There's no way I'd be okay with paying a player that has never scored more than 13 goals in a season £250k.

No other club in the world would pay him anywhere up to that especially if they had to pay a massive transfer fee for him.

I don't disagree.

That figure includes bonuses. How come it is only our players' bonuses that's gets reported in the press?

The money de Ligt is rumoured to get is just criminal. Totally insane. And to then have the audacity to demand a relatively low release clause is taking the absolute piss.

If there are incentives in it, then it might encourage him to score more goals or his wage will not be as high.
God I hope it doesn’t make him any more selfish than he currently is, for some strikers ala RVP & RVN it can be an asset but for the current version of Rashford it’s a hindrance.

How exactly do you do that? Say, you start contract talks 2 seasons in advance. A player is making 100 k currently and is demanding 200k for a new contract plus the signing-on bonus. You find it too much and offer 150k max. The player does not agree. How do you do "adios"? Try to sell him? What if he does not move? Do you bench him, put in reserves? Any player has a guaranteed right to run his contract down. You either convince him to extend, and if he does not agree, he either sees his contract out or moves elsewhere. It is up to the player to decide whether he fancies a move or not. If he does not, he sees his contract out.
I don't work in accounting or finance and I have no idea how it works, also I don't get paid to work for one of the biggest brands in the world with my only job being to manage player contracts.

You make contract negotiations sound insanely difficult with the players holding all the power. If that's the case, why doesn't this happen in any other top club in the world? Name one top club where 3 first team players almost ran out their contract with one leaving? I've never seen that happen with Bayern, City, Barca, Juve or Madrid and they have way bigger stars than we do. Going by your logic, every player would just demand a million a week and when the club refuses to pay that, they would just run down their contract and leave.

I would suggest to offer 150K base and then some add-on's based on performances (goals and assists).
We should do this for all players.

Maybe im out of touch with salaries, but isnt 250k reserved for some of the best players out there? Im pretty sure I read somewhere that Hazard is on around the same amount in Madrid.
What are you on? Hazard is on that amount NET in Madrid. Enormous difference from the gross amount thrown about in media for Rashford.
Plus that the sum reported for Rashford is most likely inclusive of bonuses. As always with ABU-media they include those for United.
200k in base-wage is completely fine for a talent like Rashford and thats probably where we will end up. In todays market its what it is.
Then you can think that the market sucks, but if we would not adapt we would be playing with Stokes first eleven this season.

I don't work in accounting or finance and I have no idea how it works, also I don't get paid to work for one of the biggest brands in the world with my only job being to manage player contracts.

You make contract negotiations sound insanely difficult with the players holding all the power. If that's the case, why doesn't this happen in any other top club in the world? Name one top club where 3 first team players almost ran out their contract with one leaving? I've never seen that happen with Bayern, City, Barca, Juve or Madrid and they have way bigger stars than we do. Going by your logic, every player would just demand a million a week and when the club refuses to pay that, they would just run down their contract and leave.
This is not my logic, read carefully. There are dozens of reasons why a player would or would not leave. I am sure Ashley Young would not mind extending his contract even on current terms. However, Ander left. Jones, Smalling and Lingard have extended quietly, while the club are having hard time to convince DDG. I guess it is fairly easy to see what is going on. Each case is different, applies to every player and every club. Your logic of starting negotiations early enough and then applying the "my way or the highway" does not fly on a universal basis.

De Ligt has been good ever since his debut, he was their most impressive player when we beat them in the Europa league final.

I would suggest to offer 150K base and then some add-on's based on performances (goals and assists).
We should do this for all players.
We should never ever include any bonuses in any player contract regarding individual performances like goal and assists. I sincerely hope we never go there. Bonuses for team performance and things like the Ballon Dor is fine but what you are suggesting I dont want to see at United. I should not need to explain why.

Utterly embarrassing if we fork out 250K/week to this kid, especially if it is the base salary. He has done nothing to deserve this amount. This will only serve to feck us down the road, similar to how Sanchez' weekly wage may have caused this idiocy to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.