Marcus Rashford in talks with Manchester United over new long-term deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We offered Martial the same money. No one cried then.

My point is that we have Martial for long term contract on the same level & position as Rashford, why are we desperate to give keep Rashford? We shouldn’t.

My point is that we have Martial for long term contract on the same level & position as Rashford, why are we desperate to give keep Rashford? We shouldn’t.

Why were we desperate to keep Martial? Rashford is a bigger asset.

You are trying to redo the past, it won’t happen. There is no point blabbering about it.

Move on & thinking our situation now, the situation now is that we have Martial on long term, same level & same position, and followed with Greenwood who looks very promising.

Just because we made mistakes in the past doesn’t mean we should keep doing it.

We already have Martial who is on the same level as him and playing in the same position. And also Greenwood is very promising as well. I think we need to be ruthless on this, we need to show him we aren’t worry to lose him.
100x this.

You are trying to redo the past, it won’t happen. There is no point blabbering about it.

Move on & thinking our situation now, the situation now is that we have Martial on long term, same level & same position, and followed with Greenwood who looks very promising.

No. When we went against the managers wishes and offered Martial the 250k, the fan base applauded it. Now, we are going along with what the manager wants for a player just as talented, if not more talented, people are crying? It's hypocritical garbage. Rashford will get his coins and we have to get on with it. At the end of the day, he is one of our most valuable assets and is being secured. The reaction between the two is night and day. The fans need to accept their own misjudgements and actions if they are going to attack everyone else.

Except for Kane, which one of those renegotiated their contracts recently? The market goes up, its just how it is. Also you named three players over 30, except for Kane.
None of those will have any resale value when their contracts expires. Rashford under long-term contract is probably worth closer to 100m. Do you want to lose that value?
It makes complete financial sense to put Rashford on 200k plus bonuses. Plus that he is a damn good player.
You should watch some of our old strikers if you think he is damn good. Check out : RVP, RVN, Cole, Yorke, Hughes.

Edit: and pretty much everyone else.

No. When we went against the managers wishes and offered Martial the 250k, the fan base applauded it. Now, we are going along with what the manager wants for a player just as talented, if not more talented, people are crying? It's hypocritical garbage. Rashford will get his coins and we have to get on with it. At the end of the day, he is one of our most valuable assets and is being secured. The reaction between the two is night and day. The fans need to accept their own misjudgements and actions if they are going to attack everyone else.

Man, I don't think you know the meaning of hypocrisy. Lots of people think Martial is better than Rashford. No-one knows if Martial will have a better career than Rashford. It's not hypocritical to judge them by different standards, even if it's a misjudgement. I think they could both be key players for United for years, which of course makes them both incredibly valuable. But there's loads of unknowns, which make it entirely reasonable for some people to be concerned about giving either of them huge money.

Last edited:
His incentives may be on the high side but I don't see the problem personally. He's all potential currently so it makes the most sense to offer him an incentivised package.

If he meets the targets set, that means he's meeting the standards of a top striker. He then gets paid accordingly. We win, he wins, everyone's happy.

It's not like we're giving him 300k base so who cares.

Man, I don't think you know the meaning of hypocrisy. Lots of people think Martial is better than Rashford. No-one knows if Martial will have a better career than Rashford. It's not hypocritical to judge them by different standards, even if it's a misjudgement. I think they could both be key players for United for years, which of course makes them both incredibly valuable. But there's loads of unknowns, which make it entirely reasonable for some people to be concerned about giving either of them huge money.

Except there is a clear difference between the reaction from when Martial was given 250k and now that Rashford is getting 250k. No one gave a rats arse when Anthony was given that money.

It’s probably incentive driven. Regardless we need players like Rashford. Build a team around him and watch him go.

Amazing how people here don’t rate a 21 year old. If he was anywhere else we’d we complaining how we talking about how our youth academy doesn’t produce any talents like him.

You got no single clue what my point is. It’s about not doing the same mistake & we know we did one on Martial and shouldn’t be happening again on rashford.

It’s probably incentive driven. Regardless we need players like Rashford. Build a team around him and watch him go.

Amazing how people here don’t rate a 21 year old. If he was anywhere else we’d we complaining how we talking about how our youth academy doesn’t produce any talents like him.

I don’t really care how much money United pay him, after all it’s not my money. But he is nowhere near good enough to be our main striker, and much less to build a team around him. What concerns me the most is that his ego has gotten out of hand, and he thinks he has already made it, but still has a ling way to go. A huge contract is not going to help improve his mentality.

Mate everybody looks promising playing in u21.

250k for what?? :wenger:

Has regressed in every sense other than ego. Treating him like he's an Mbappe level talent when he's barely half the player.
Has scored more goals in less apppearences this season than the previous. And scored the crucial goal that knocked out Mbappe's team.

Rashford is a bigger asset? Is everything okay? How have you come to that conclusion?

Reading more of your comments the reaction is different because martial is clearly the better talent. He doesn’t deserve it yet but it’s still understandable. Rashford shouldn’t even be offered 150k to be honest. You are fighting so hard for rashford and I can’t understand why? Or is it just to downplay martial?

Rashford is a bigger asset? Is everything okay? How have you come to that conclusion?

Academy player coming through and playing in the first team at Manchester United is invaluable. I thought Manchester United fans would understand that, but obviously not. Beyond that, his work ethic, age and talent as a combination mean he has a higher value than Martial. It's not a controversial opinion at all.

Reading more of your comments the reaction is different because martial is clearly the better talent. He doesn’t deserve it yet but it’s still understandable. Rashford shouldn’t even be offered 150k to be honest. You are fighting so hard for rashford and I can’t understand why? Or is it just to downplay martial?

1. Martial isn't a better talent. You can maybe argue similar talent level.
2. 250k a week for Martial is not understandable
3. I am defending Rashford because he is talented but is clearly about to be dropped right in the shit next season

They are both equal talents (I think better to say had equal impact on first team), just that one was signed for shit loads of money and other is from academy.

Academy player coming through and playing in the first team at Manchester United is invaluable. I thought Manchester United fans would understand that, but obviously not. Beyond that, his work ethic, age and talent as a combination mean he has a higher value than Martial. It's not a controversial opinion at all.
I’m talking about actual talent and not all that inconsequential crap regarding coming through the academy and featuring in the first team. Him playing in the first team doesn’t mean much if the likes of Phil Jones and Ashley young consistently feature.

They are both similar in age so I don’t know why you brought that up. The only thing rashford has going for him is his workrate but since when was that a defining metric when valuing a first team striker? Let’s actually discuss his talent FIRST in regards to martial before we bring up minor qualities like workrate. I think we are the only fan base that actual think rashford and martial are similar in quality. Fans of others clubs will tell you martial is superior without a doubt.

I don’t really care how much money United pay him, after all it’s not my money. But he is nowhere near good enough to be our main striker, and much less to build a team around him. What concerns me the most is that his ego has gotten out of hand, and he thinks he has already made it, but still has a ling way to go. A huge contract is not going to help improve his mentality.
What? Why? Because he shoots too much or wants to take all set pieces? There is no evidence of this but it’s brought up here like its gospel

I’m talking about actual talent and not all that inconsequential crap regarding coming through the academy and featuring in the first team. Him playing in the first team doesn’t mean much if the likes of Phil Jones and Ashley young consistently feature.

They are both similar in age so I don’t know why you brought that up. The only thing rashford has going for him is his workrate but since when was that a defining metric when valuing a first team striker? Let’s actually discuss his talent FIRST in regards to martial before we bring up minor qualities like workrate. I think we are the only fan base that actual think rashford and martial are similar in quality. Fans of others clubs will tell you martial is superior without a doubt.

I'm sorry but coming through the academy and having genuine talent is worth something, whether you like it or not. Keeping these players in the team is part of our tradition. Martial is two years older and that does factor into value, again, whether you like it or not. The only thing Rashford has going for him is work rate? Now you're just talking rubbish.

Other fan bases don't watch us play 3 times a week. Clearly you don't either.

They are both equal talents (I think better to say had equal impact on first team), just that one was signed for shit loads of money and other is from academy.

This is simply not true. Martial is the superior talent in the attacking department but is less determined than rashford. He is the better dribbler, finisher, passer and much more creative. What other metrics are you using to determine rashford is somewhat a similar level because I'm finding it hard to undertsand? Rashford is very determined which in itself has made him very valuable but his ceiling just isnt that high which will always be an issue. Martial's ceiling is worldclass but I nobody knows if he will ever reach it because he just doesn't have the drive.

I'm sorry but coming through the academy and having genuine talent is worth something, whether you like it or not. Keeping these players in the team is part of our tradition. Martial is two years older and that does factor into value, again, whether you like it or not. The only thing Rashford has going for him is work rate? Now you're just talking rubbish.

Other fan bases don't watch us play 3 times a week. Clearly you don't either.
Ive watched every single league game this season and missed a few champions league games. So maybe rashford was showing this remarkable talent in those missed games but who knows.

Im a rashford fan but I'm also very realistic. I love our tradition of bringing young players though the academy but if there is better talent out there that should always come first. There is nothing wrong with rashford being a super sub especially since I dont think he is first team worthy right now.

Ive watched every single league game this season and missed a few champions league games. So maybe rashford was showing this remarkable talent in those missed games but who knows.

Im a rashford fan but I'm also very realistic. I love our tradition of bringing young players though the academy but if there is better talent out there that should always come first. There is nothing wrong with rashford being a super sub especially since I dont think he is first team worthy right now.

Ok, but Martial and Rashford are still on a similar level when it comes to talent. I can sit here and say that Martial's inconsistencies means he shouldn't be starting either.

This is simply not true. Martial is the superior talent in the attacking department but is less determined than rashford. He is the better dribbler, finisher, passer and much more creative. What other metrics are you using to determine rashford is somewhat a similar level because I'm finding it hard to undertsand? Rashford is very determined which in itself has made him very valuable but his ceiling just isnt that high which will always be an issue. Martial's ceiling is worldclass but I nobody knows if he will ever reach it because he just doesn't have the drive.

In your imaginary fantasy land Martial is world class talent and potential Balon D'or contender but reality is he isnt even regular starter for ManUtd.

You find it hard to understand as you think Work rate is a minor attribute, can't believe people believe that in 2019 when Team >>>> individuals.

If we are building our attack around Rashford then it suggests we aren't going to be challenging for major titles anytime soon.

Wouldn't give him anything more than 200k. To be honest, his actual worth is about 150k.

Give him 50k/week and 100k per goal he scores.

We really need to have performance incentive contracts instead of giving the players a high salary for doing feck all
I agree

In your imaginary fantasy land Martial is world class talent and potential Balon D'or contender but reality is he isnt even regular starter for ManUtd.

You find it hard to understand as you think Work rate is a minor attribute, can't believe people believe that in 2019 when Team >>>> individuals.
It is a minor attribute for an attacker but is one if his strengths which is why he features so much. Im choosing to focus on his strengths in attack which is what you have missed. I think 250k is a lot for a striker who cant really dribble in tight spaces, isn't an amazing finisher, not the best first touch etc. Has he ever recorded more than 10 goals in a season?

Yes his workrate is very good and all but we need more in the attacking department for our main striker. Also you and @haram keep saying they are equal talents but are yet to specify how?

and then there is gabriel jesus on 90k a week (and only 22 years old, but 2 years left on his contract)

some premier league stats to consider (source wikipedia)

marcus rashford
Appearances 111
Goals 27
Assists 14

Gabby Jesus
Appearances 68
Goals 31
Assists 10
Context matters!!! 1 plays for city and the other United. Almost cried typing that.

It is a minor attribute for an attacker but is one if his strengths which is why he features so much. Im choosing to focus on his strengths in attack which is what you have missed. I think 250k is a lot for a striker who cant really dribble in tight spaces, isn't an amazing finisher, not the best first touch etc. Has he ever recorded more than 10 goals in a season?

Yes his workrate is very good and all but we need more in the attacking department for our main striker. Also you and @haram keep saying they are equal talents but are yet to specify how?

Except he can do everything of that, he can dribble, he has good first touch and his finishing is inconsistent.

Funny you call him striker and ask about his goal scoring record when except half a season he has played as winger in last 3 years. In any case, yes he has scored more than 10 goals in all the 3 full seasons he played

If you read my post properly I said it's better to say they had similar impact in first team as it's silly to argue vague terms like talent, world class when each one rates/defines it differently.

In their careers, per 90 mins metrics.

Rashford vs Martial

Goals - 0.4 vs o.4
Dribbles - 1.9 vs 2.4
Unsuccessful dribbles - 2.1 vs 2.8
Dribble success rate - 46% vs 46%
Possession loss - 4.9 vs 5.5
Aerial duels - 0.7 vs 1.3
Aerial duels success rate - 33% vs 35%
Key passes - 1.1 vs 1.4
Assists - 0.2 vs 0.2

This is ignoring one played all his career in PL and other started in French League, Rashford is 2 years younger too.

and then there is gabriel jesus on 90k a week (and only 22 years old, but 2 years left on his contract)

some premier league stats to consider (source wikipedia)

marcus rashford
Appearances 111
Goals 27
Assists 14

Gabby Jesus
Appearances 68
Goals 31
Assists 10
Context matters!!! 1 plays for city and the other United. Almost cried typing that.

Context is one is a pure CF and other played majority of his career as Winger.

Context is one is a pure CF and other played majority of his career as Winger.

Winger haha

Rashford has played huge chunk of his united left or right wing. You are distorting reality suggestion hes been played as a pure CF.

Yes, I agree, and I'll go further and say I don't understand the reaction of several users. Its a tweet which doesn't really say a whole lot, it simply hints at some progress at a contract which was always the expected outcome anyway.
It's easy to understand, no matter what the club does, some people will criticize it regardless. There is so little info, it's crazy to feel already negative like that

Only at united you get a salary raise for being absolutely poor for the last 3 months. I would love to work for such a club.

Yes he is the bigger asset. He's make a bigger impact on the team, and he is considered more valuable by just about every system out there that attempts to assign a value to a player. He's far more marketable, has the drive to improve, is a regular feature in the international side and is younger. If both players were put up for sale today the interest in Rashford, and the price we could demand for the player, would far outweigh what we would get for Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.