View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

NZT-One

Rashford proved he could play actual combination football with Martial; that dribbling blind is something we thrust upon because previously it resulted in goals as he was finishing those chances. If we’re honest, the concern this season is almost purely about him not scoring, over how greedy/mindless he is; during his golden period of form how many complaints about the way he plays football could be found, and even then, how quickly would they be drowned by others citing his goal scoring stats?
All I can tell you is that I was complaining all the time :D But I see your point.

No team of any measure leaves all its goal scoring to one man. That’s a foundation built on balsa wood, and unless you have a very special player, one that’s bound to fail; we’re not supporting the load or aiding him in getting through his slump; we’re compounding the woe and then he tries doubly hard, resulting in even more blind alley runs and ‘mindless’ plays.
True.

The Bruno you’re referring to hasn’t been seen since that triumvirate I mentioned, whom he had a field day feeding as they created spaces and chaos he could easily exploit. A player of the profile Martial used to have is what we know Rashford shines playing with. There’s a massive burden on him alone at the minute, and it doesn’t seem to get the attention it should as that should never, ever happen at a top club, and I’ll cite those forwards, all of whom are levels above Rashford, who are all far better supported than he is here.
Not sure, I would agree here. Granted, the Rashford, Martial and Greenwood combination seemed to have brought the most output from Bruno but even after that period, Rashfords speed and willingness to run in behind and Brunos vision and ability to see such movements and being able to quickly act on it (plus his apparent lack of getting discouraged at that even if it doesn't work 15 times) was and is a very effective combination that elevated both of them again and again. The issue here is, that the overall balance of the team isn't wrong and that this combination, as good as it can be theoretically, isn't good enough to be better than our rivals.

I suppose they watch him and form an opinion. He’s been unplayable at times. He’s played very poorly a lot of other times as well. Probably we should get rid of him. But I am just not having it that he isn’t brilliant. The problem is he doesn’t play to his capability enough.
Isn't that some sort of the "hen and egg" situation? Is a player brilliant when he doesn't play brilliantly often times? Or can a decent player turn up with brilliant performances here and there?

I think, it is a bit of a mood point to argue about. At the end of the day, only thing that counts is how a player played recently and for one reason or another, brilliant isn't one of the better or precise words to describe him. That being said, we will not sell him, I just don't see it. The manager has to find a way to get the best out of him (but this doesn't necessarily means, he shouldn't be benched from time to time)

OrcaFat

All I can tell you is that I was complaining all the time :D But I see your point.

True.

Not sure, I would agree here. Granted, the Rashford, Martial and Greenwood combination seemed to have brought the most output from Bruno but even after that period, Rashfords speed and willingness to run in behind and Brunos vision and ability to see such movements and being able to quickly act on it (plus his apparent lack of getting discouraged at that even if it doesn't work 15 times) was and is a very effective combination that elevated both of them again and again. The issue here is, that the overall balance of the team isn't wrong and that this combination, as good as it can be theoretically, isn't good enough to be better than our rivals.

Isn't that some sort of the "hen and egg" situation? Is a player brilliant when he doesn't play brilliantly often times? Or can a decent player turn up with brilliant performances here and there?

I think, it is a bit of a mood point to argue about. At the end of the day, only thing that counts is how a player played recently and for one reason or another, brilliant isn't one of the better or precise words to describe him. That being said, we will not sell him, I just don't see it. The manager has to find a way to get the best out of him (but this doesn't necessarily means, he shouldn't be benched from time to time)
I wouldn’t try to defend his recent form. If we assume he’ll never play well again then I’m happy to say he “was” a brilliant player. That seems premature to me. People are objecting to me saying he’s brilliant because he often plays badly and argue that if he plays shit, he IS shit. From a logical perspective I dislike that and we know it is incorrect because the best players that ever lived sometimes played bad.

Some guys will give you 6 out of 10 every week but they aren’t brilliant. They’re consistent. Rashford has given us 9 out of 10 countless times. He has done things that average players (including Jesse f’ing Lingard cannot) because he has that rare combination of pace, technique, strength and composure. Rashford also gives us 2 out of 10. That doesn’t mean he’s not brilliant it means he’s inconsistent.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Stop smiling, you have nothing to smile about according to The Caf.
Did anyone ever say anything like that? I read irrational ones like where someone said he shouldn't have celebrated his birthday but that's about it.

arthurka

Did anyone ever say anything like that? I read irrational ones like where someone said he shouldn't have celebrated his birthday but that's about it.
There are plenty of those on the Matchday and his performance threads. He isn't much loved on here.

ayushreddevil9

There are plenty of those on the Matchday and his performance threads. He isn't much loved on here.
What makes you think that there's an active agenda against him from people who are critical of his performances? He was given all the love last season and this season he is getting the stick(and rightly so). Criticism is not equivalent to hatred.

Drz

Yeah all of that is fair comment but the main problem is himself. I couldn’t tell you why but he’s a shadow of his self from last season. The guy has torn it up against top defences on many occasions but he can’t sustain it.
I don't know why either, that would only lead to speculation.
Personally, I just concluded that he is a good but inconsistent player whatever the reason maybe after the Ole/Rangnik season, so I didn't get too giddy after his scoring numbers last season.
I also don't think it would be a problem if the club operated on the basis that he is a good but albeit inconsistent player.

ayushreddevil9

Personally, I just concluded that he is a good but inconsistent player whatever the reason maybe after the Ole/Rangnik season, so I didn't get too giddy after his scoring numbers last season.
I also don't think it would be a problem if the club operated on the basis that he is a good but albeit inconsistent player.
Neither did I. Was hoping for him to carry on but its almost like a deja vu thing with him.

STYLOISRED

Stop smiling, you have nothing to smile about according to The Caf.
I think it's the opposite. We want to see him enjoying himself on the pitch. We want to see him taunting fullbacks to compete and beating them with his touches as he waves his way into the opposition box, we want to see him scoring and assisting. We don't want to see a a sulking player who can't seem to do the basics right, who defenders just have to follow while he messes up trying to dribble, who seems like he can't wait to get off the pitch.

OrcaFat

Yeah he is inconsistent and we need to be able to drop him when he’s in one of these troughs. I’d feel a lot better if we had someone good enough to keep Rashford out of the starting line up unless he gets on a hot streak of form. I’m repeating myself but we need to recruit a prolific goal-scoring wide forward from somewhere (no idea who and I’d expect him to be bloody expensive).

Baxquux

I think it's the opposite. We want to see him enjoying himself on the pitch. We want to see him taunting fullbacks to compete and beating them with his touches as he waves his way into the opposition box, we want to see him scoring and assisting. We don't want to see a a sulking player who can't seem to do the basics right, who defenders just have to follow while he messes up trying to dribble, who seems like he can't wait to get off the pitch.
Who, when isolated against the Maltese right back and having the chance to build up some confidence through a goal and an assist or two away from United, makes the latter look like Kyle Walker...

Hammondo

He's never been a player who really weaves, he ever beats with pace in a straight line or he loses the ball.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I really have no idea why he seems uncoachable. For his position, you'd of thought a relatively easy way to get him at least to contribute would be forcing him to stop overcomplicating things. Train him for a month on 2 touch or take-ons only. He's not allowed for a month of training to stop, wait for an opponent to face up and then do...something. Force his muscle memory to take over.

He's so much better than this. Even just at controlling a football.

He'd be more useful to United as a true winger now, rather than a goalscorer. Even if all he did was run a lot, create space and track full backs it woudl be more impactful than the sheer lack of quality he's currently displaying. Just bizarre.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's another overhyped English player that gets a pass as he's a local lad.
When something is obvious it's obvious.. like him being bang average with flashes of good stuff.
You have threads like this were people try to claim he's world class etc.
The mere fact there is such debate tells you all you need to know.
If he was truly world class the vast vast majority would be here saying how brilliant he is. Instead we've got mostly people slating poor performance time and again.
OK not every negative opinion is right but when it's so many it tells you all you need to know.

He's getting away with murder

jesperjaap

I wouldn’t try to defend his recent form. If we assume he’ll never play well again then I’m happy to say he “was” a brilliant player. That seems premature to me. People are objecting to me saying he’s brilliant because he often plays badly and argue that if he plays shit, he IS shit. From a logical perspective I dislike that and we know it is incorrect because the best players that ever lived sometimes played bad.

Some guys will give you 6 out of 10 every week but they aren’t brilliant. They’re consistent. Rashford has given us 9 out of 10 countless times. He has done things that average players (including Jesse f’ing Lingard cannot) because he has that rare combination of pace, technique, strength and composure. Rashford also gives us 2 out of 10. That doesn’t mean he’s not brilliant it means he’s inconsistent.
If yo changed the word brilliant to talented, I would agree with a lot of what you are saying there.

Ironically though a lot of that is the reason why I have never really rated Rashford that highly. Always thoght he was a talented player with pace and tricks, but there has never reallt been consistency or intelligence in his play iver 90mins and there are loads of players like that who never get the hype or exposure he has.

But the part I strongly disagree with and the thing I find weird with a lot of the posts on him this year is that "he has been 9/10 countless times"...."alarming his drop off from the form of last season".......as I dont see this being the case at all.

His breakthrogh was great, his initial time under Ole was great, four months of last season was great.....he dropped off long before this season , he was poor for the last 3months of the season, he was abysmal the season before.

Thos for months were the only period in his career here for me where he has been a brilliant player worthy of the hype. He is a 3-6 out of 10 player 50% of his games.....and we have given him a contract over £350k a week as a reward for that? Lets not get away from the fact that is partly for commercial reasons, but its madness

Wilt

Fergie would have dealt with this. I genuinely believe his off field issues are directly related to his shit form. This on/off drama with his girlfriend would have been dealt with by Sir Alex.
Fergie would have got rid of him long before now

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fergie would have dealt with this. I genuinely believe his off field issues are directly related to his shit form. This on/off drama with his girlfriend would have been dealt with by Sir Alex.
Like he dealt with Giggs' off the field relationships right??

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Peak level: 2007 Ronaldo
Bottom level: 2009 Obertan playing with one shoe missing
His peak isn't even close to being 2007 Ronaldo. If we're comparing him to Ronaldo the closest would probably be the version at Juventus. A great goal scorer who can show some glimpses of great talent, but the all-round game just isn't quite top level.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah, the whole thing might be entirely his own fault but I find it laughable that he is regarded as a poor player who played well in a purple patch. He is a brilliant player. Even when he is playing shit he is a brilliant player (playing shit). It is a problem that he can’t play to his capabilities more often and probably an unsolvable problem. It’s our problem because he’s our player. We pay him too much, I suppose.
The issue is that in his entire career he's only been 'brilliant' for about three months in 19/20. An argument could be made for about three months last season as well, but honestly he was scoring a lot of goals but his all-round game wasn't really that great.

Pretty much the rest of his career he's been average-to-poor but still managing to score a decent amount of goals, or downright terrible (21/22 and so far this season) and not scoring any goals.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I had a dream that he rounded the keeper and missed an empty net. :nervous:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I had a dream that he rounded the keeper and missed an empty net. :nervous:
it’s just a dream. it can’t hurt you. he’s not rounding a keeper any time soon. go back to sleep.

OrcaFat

The issue is that in his entire career he's only been 'brilliant' for about three months in 19/20. An argument could be made for about three months last season as well, but honestly he was scoring a lot of goals but his all-round game wasn't really that great.

Pretty much the rest of his career he's been average-to-poor but still managing to score a decent amount of goals, or downright terrible (21/22 and so far this season) and not scoring any goals.
I understand the general sentiment of this.

I think it’s probably a fool’s errand to try to be specific about when exactly he was brilliant and for how long. I have no problem with the generalisation that he was only brilliant in relatively short spells and not often enough.

He’s frustrating and my current feelings are that I have no objection to him being benched or sold as I suspect we wouldn’t miss him much. We miss the guy who scored loads of goals but he’s not here at the moment anyway.

NZT-One

I understand the general sentiment of this.

I think it’s probably a fool’s errand to try to be specific about when exactly he was brilliant and for how long. I have no problem with the generalisation that he was only brilliant in relatively short spells and not often enough.

He’s frustrating and my current feelings are that I have no objection to him being benched or sold as I suspect we wouldn’t miss him much. We miss the guy who scored loads of goals but he’s not here at the moment anyway.
I don't think, he should only be judged by his goals. We can do that for a striker and these days, not even this really cutting it anymore. Personally I think, we miss the 2020/21 Version of him. Rashford the creator. Who tried to make something work for Martial and Greenwood. Who was able to cross, to pass, to do little interplay and who worked for the team. Somewhere along the line somebody told him, that he should transform into Real Madrid Ronaldo for some reason. A striker who starts on the left and is free'd of most of the mundane stuff because he is so great at scoring.

I think, Rashford is a posterboy for somebody who gave in and started to believe his own hype... to his own detriment. Letting him off the hook, because he scored pretty well last season is understandable of course. But I am not sure it is the best way to go. He isn't as good of a finisher to have Ronaldo role. His dribbling is overrated. He is good in terms of movement and timing. In all honesty, right now I'd say it is the perfect skillset for an Ole-like super sub to come on later in the game. But the club decided to make him the Golden Boy. Great story, local boy and such, and I genuinely believe he is a good lad and all that. But in football terms, I think, he is in a dead end to some degree.

(edit: if what we have witnessed is connected with his personal life, I'd happily try and take the sting out. I still think, he has quite a lot of abilities to be a fantastic football player. But if his personal is effected to that degree, the club HAS TO intervene. For the players own good)

superdry

touched by a genius
We wait and wait for one of his mythical team destroying performances, in the meantime we play with ten men.