Manchester United Women - Silly Season - Summer 2024 edition

That’s great news, a position that needed strengthening, and at 21 looks like planning for the long term too. I also liked that she said she was impressed with the Carrington facilities, nice counter to the doom and gloom reports!

They showed her the men’s facilities. ;) No but of course the facilities are a couple of steps above from what they have at Häcken.

That’s great news, a position that needed strengthening, and at 21 looks like planning for the long term too. I also liked that she said she was impressed with the Carrington facilities, nice counter to the doom and gloom reports!
True! It's temporarily not ideal, but the facilities are supposedly pretty great and they will get back there in not too long.

I also like the signings so far. The start of the window was pretty depressing with just outgoings on a free, but I'm liking the players we have brought in so far. Getting a sizeable Scandi group as well (just wish Bøe Risa was still here)!

True! It's temporarily not ideal, but the facilities are supposedly pretty great and they will get back there in not too long.

I also like the signings so far. The start of the window was pretty depressing with just outgoings on a free, but I'm liking the players we have brought in so far. Getting a sizeable Scandi group as well (just wish Bøe Risa was still here)!

I still think in terms of quality we haven't replaced García or Zelem. Riviere will hopefully improve although probably not to Batlle's level. PTJ looks promising but it'll be difficult to replace Earps. So while I'm happy that we're at least signing some players, I'm not really looking forward to next season. We're a long way off from the top 3. And we've gone backwards this summer.

It looks like we've added some depth to the defense, which is nice to see. I hate to be pessimistic but we've seen how much Skinner uses the full squad. Let's hope it'll change and there is real competition for places next season, although I'm not holding my breath.

I still think in terms of quality we haven't replaced García or Zelem. Riviere will hopefully improve although probably not to Batlle's level. PTJ looks promising but it'll be difficult to replace Earps. So while I'm happy that we're at least signing some players, I'm not really looking forward to next season. We're a long way off from the top 3. And we've gone backwards this summer.

It looks like we've added some depth to the defense, which is nice to see. I hate to be pessimistic but we've seen how much Skinner uses the full squad. Let's hope it'll change and there is real competition for places next season, although I'm not holding my breath.
I agree that we haven't replaced Garcia at all, and I'm hoping we do focus on that. Zelem I hope can be replaced with what we've got in the squad already - Clinton coming back could maybe help there. Earps brings something that is really hard to replace with who she is, but her form wasn't the best last season. Hopefully PTJ can come in and do the business between the sticks.

I agree that the biggest reason not to be that optimistic is Skinner. I have no real belief that he will change his ways, but maybe having Ashworth in place can push him a bit. Or start looking for a replacement.

EDIT: Zelem leaving is one of the reasons I wish Bøe Risa never left.

Great news about Anna Sandberg. Really promising players with a quite a bit of experience already from both the national team and from the champions league.

And as a Swede it’s extra interesting

Now if we could move for her teammate Rosa Kafaji. She will be the next big star in Swedish football. 21 years old and a contract that expires now. She has also mentioned she would like to play in England.

Reactions: jojojo
Asked around a little about Sandberg. Here's what some of her ex-teammates told me.

She's a dynamic and strong LB. Nice technique in terms of striking the ball. Good vision and a real fighter.

Obviously they're not going to say anything negative about her. ;) But the biggest challenge of course is the step from Damallsvenskan to the WSL. It's good to have another natural left-footed LB.

For such a young age she’s already got a few caps for Sweden as well as seven appearances in the Champions League.

Last edited:
Great news about Anna Sandberg. Really promising players with a quite a bit of experience already from both the national team and from the champions league.

And as a Swede it’s extra interesting

Now if we could move for her teammate Rosa Kafaji. She will be the next big star in Swedish football. 21 years old and a contract that expires now. She has also mentioned she would like to play in England.
That's encouraging.

On Rosa Kafaji, according to the twitterati it looks like she's off to Arsenal.

I don't see much about a club career so I'm guessing she's decided to opt out of her US College team in favour of a professional move to Europe.

She was in Canada's Olympics squad this summer and has become a regular for them at twenty. She played youth football for the US national team. I don't know when she made the jump to Canada. I can't even claim to have watched her much at the Olympics but I know she's listed as a midfielder.

According to her Canada team bio, her description of herself:
Awujo in 2022, “I am a very physical player and I use my body in everything that I do. I like to win headers, to dribble and take people on, and I like defending."

Tldr:
Anyone know?

I don't see much about a club career so I'm guessing she's decided to opt out of her US College team in favour of a professional move.

She was in Canada's Olympics squad this summer and has become a regular for them at twenty. She played youth football for the US national team, so I don't know when she made the jump to Canada. I can't claim to have watched her much at the Olympics so don't know more than she's listed as a midfielderl.

Awujo in 2022, “I am a very physical player and I use my body in everything that I do. I like to win headers, to dribble and take people on, and I like defending."
Anyone?
States that she's a midfielder too.

States that she's a midfielder too.
Yep, I was looking around but couldn't find out which kind. I did discover her favourite players were Pogba, Busquets, Iniesta and teams are United are Barca!

So assuming we get those two done, we're currently looking like

Tullis-Joyce
Kop
Middleton-Patel

Riviere
Blundell
George
Sandberg

Le Tissier
Turner
Janssen
Mannion
Evans

Naalsund
Ladd
Awujo
Watson
Toone
Clinton

Geyse
Galton
Hinata
Parris

Terland
Malard
Williams
*Not including academy graduates or injuries

So no real big gaps left in terms of numbers, but a fair few unknowns in terms of how they'll step up/adapt. Wing feels very boom or bust without that guarantee of speed and energy Garcia provided.

I don't see much about a club career so I'm guessing she's decided to opt out of her US College team in favour of a professional move to Europe.

She was in Canada's Olympics squad this summer and has become a regular for them at twenty. She played youth football for the US national team. I don't know when she made the jump to Canada. I can't even claim to have watched her much at the Olympics but I know she's listed as a midfielder.

Tldr:
Anyone know?
If I’m right, she has played College football at the national level for University of South Carolina. She looks a physically strong player with good close control and awareness. No obvious weaknesses. She’s closer to Naalsund and Ladd than she is to Zelem and Guerrero, I’d say, but maybe more all round and with potential. Quite interesting signing, it seems to me, at least on paper.

Emma Sanders (BBC) has been reporting that Gemma Evans is on her way to Liverpool. Today Emma (on twitter) says that the deal is now done and that they're expecting it to be finalised soon.

Also Newcastle are trying to recruit Nikita Parris. Whether she goes there or elsewhere, it still looks like we triggered the +1 year clause in her contract to get a fee.

Emma Sanders (BBC) has been reporting that Gemma Evans is on her way to Liverpool. Today Emma (on twitter) says that the deal is now done and that they're expecting it to be finalised soon.

Also Newcastle are trying to recruit Nikita Parris. Whether she goes there or elsewhere, it still looks like we triggered the +1 year clause in her contract to get a fee.
Yeah Evans did look quite far down the pecking order with the new signings/returnees. Didn't feel hugely confident when she was playing at any rate.

Hopefully the NWSL team come back in for Parris as I'm loathe to do anything the benefits Newcastle these days.

I was disappointed to read that we were possibly losing Gemma, was she really not quite fitting in, or just yet someone else that Skinner's wasted? Either way though, surely not to Liverpiiiwwwlll!

I was disappointed to read that we were possibly losing Gemma, was she really not quite fitting in, or just yet someone else that Skinner's wasted? Either way though, surely not to Liverpiiiwwwlll!

Given the arrival of Janssen and Sanberg

Given the arrival of Janssen and Sandberg, plus George being fit again, there really is no place for Evans, not even on the bench. I'll be honest, I've seen enough of her to think she'll weaken Liverpool so, I'm not too bothered to be honest, particularly if we can get a nominal fee.

Given the arrival of Janssen and Sandberg, plus George being fit again, there really is no place for Evans, not even on the bench. I'll be honest, I've seen enough of her to think she'll weaken Liverpool so, I'm not too bothered to be honest, particularly if we can get a nominal fee.

Fair enough! There you go with your reassurances again, nice one.

Crikey, we are busy! I'm not sure where/when they're all going to play but it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Interesting! The potential is there, and it will strengthen us on the wings. Norwegian contingent getting bigger and bigger.

Interesting! The potential is there, and it will strengthen us on the wings. Norwegian contingent getting bigger and bigger.

Love it! We’ve had and have a few Noggies, Swedish players as well as Danish.

Think it’s time to sign a Finn.

Are there anyone we should be looking at?

There’s a lot of young players who have recently moved to big clubs, especially in Italy. And of course the Scancic leagues are full of Finnish players.

We can see the evidence that we scout those leagues so I’m sure the club are aware of a few good players.

In terms of the national team there’s a bit of a transition going on age-wise. The most experienced ones are not anymore relevant for United’s stature and the younger ones need to show they can play at a high level in Serie A etc. The WU sides are currently doing really well so I can see a few potentially top players coming through the ranks.

But the ones, well most of them, who have played in the WSL recently could probably all do a job for us. Koivisto moved to Milan but I really like her. The Spurs duo are solid midfielders and Rantala has taken the league by storm.

Can’t think of any player who could realistically fight for a starting place at the moment. Well perhaps Natalia Kuikka, although our CB department is very strong at the moment.

Last edited:
The Clinton/Bizet anecdote is fun. But, as jojojo said, where are all these forwards going to play? Or rather, are they going to play?